Second hand car dealers who ripped off 52 people arrested after 5 years on the run

Second hand car dealers who ripped off 52 people arrested after 5 years on the run

Screen Shot 2562-07-17 at 10.19.48.png

Image: Daily News

Police in Chiang Mai announced they had finally arrested a married couple involved in swindling 52 people.

Anucha "Teng" Dorkmaingam, 55, and his wife Warawee or Suthicha Suphan, 39, were arrested at a Chiang Mai restaurant. 

They had been on the run for five years after they ripped off people in a scam connected to the selling of second hand cars at their "S. Suthicha" dealership in Tha Phor sub-district of the northern Thai city. 

They blamed the economy and - appropriately enough - being unable to keep up with their instalments. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-17

27 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Time to trade in your amulet, it doesn't work!

Make sure you only buy from a reputable amulet dealer, avoid the scammers.

The new ones with rechargeable AA batteries are the best buy.

Still under under development is a solar-powered version, although not recommended for drink-driving at night.

Just now, trainman34014 said:

Unless you know the one Old Lady owner from new you should NEVER buy a second hand car in Thailand !

I'm just not old enough to have known the old lady owner from new. I bet she was twenty when I was born.

43 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Generally i have found the price of 2nd hand cars here very high,better to spend a few hundred thousand more if you can and get a new one.

You are correct. Thailand's second hand vehicle market is odd. My theory is that second-hand prices are kept high by :-

1. the fact that so many people here buy vehicles they can barely afford when one looks at all costs versus their income. 

2. the fact that the Tor Ror Or (vehicle inspection) is a joke so old bangers can be kept on the road forever.

3. the fact that repair costs, particularly labour, are low meaning vehicles can be kept running and repaired without breaking the bank.

It is strange though. 

48 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

You are correct. Thailand's second hand vehicle market is odd. My theory is that second-hand prices are kept high by :-

1. the fact that so many people here buy vehicles they can barely afford when one looks at all costs versus their income. 

2. the fact that the Tor Ror Or (vehicle inspection) is a joke so old bangers can be kept on the road forever.

3. the fact that repair costs, particularly labour, are low meaning vehicles can be kept running and repaired without breaking the bank.

It is strange though. 

in my opinion, it's Western car markets that are strange, where car loses 25% value just by rolling out of the cardealer's .

Westerners, particularly Europeans, get ripped off on car repairs and spare parts.

I wouldn't count a car as durable good in Europe, nowadays it's more of a consumer good.

36 minutes ago, manarak said:

where car loses 25% value just by rolling out of the cardealer's .

This also happens in Thailand. It is what happens after that that I find strange. The glide curve is much shallower and may plateau at around 25% (this figure varies by model) of the original purchase price. In the West, a 10-year old model that runs fine is virtually given away.

Certainly, in the West, labour costs and original parts make vehicle maintenance costs high.

9 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Surprised there is any room left for doggy car dealers in the online fake world here seize that wok hob and fridge as payment????

Are you sure you're not getting confused with "dogging", which I believe is a sport carried out in the English countryside. ????

13 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Nooo...you can’t be serious....OK

5 years =60 months.

52 people = 0.867 people per month....Zzzzzxxxx

But I think they didn't swindle anyone within 5yrs when they were on the run...

And there are no mention how long they was doing this before they run...

????

On 7/17/2019 at 3:49 PM, Briggsy said:

It is strange though. 

It's a rigged market, nothing else.

Some time ago, I bought a Mitsubishi Triton pickup in Australia. Manufactured in Thailand, it cost 19,000 AUD.

The same Triton, with fewer options and minus the cost of shipping to Australia, at that time in Thailand cost 23,500 AUD. If someone can explain that differential without manipulation being present, I'm all ears.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Some time ago, I bought a Mitsubishi Triton pickup in Australia. Manufactured in Thailand, it cost 19,000 AUD.

The same Triton, with fewer options and minus the cost of shipping to Australia, at that time in Thailand cost 23,500 AUD. If someone can explain that differential without manipulation being present, I'm all ears.

Thailand use AUD ?

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Thailand use AUD ?

I am giving comparative prices in AUD. If you want them in Thai baht, go to xe.com. For crying out loud, put your thinking cap on.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I am giving comparative prices in AUD. If you want them in Thai baht, go to xe.com. For crying out loud, put your thinking cap on.

Yeah comparing vehicle costs in different countries aint comparing apples to apples due to exchange rates and vehicle/country spec differences.

But hey what ever floats your boat.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I thought we were talking about 2nd hand prices. Now, you are talking about new prices. Everybody knows new vehicles are more expensive in Thailand than overseas.

8 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I thought we were talking about 2nd hand prices. Now, you are talking about new prices. Everybody knows new vehicles are more expensive in Thailand than overseas.

Higher new car prices mean secondhand prices will follow suit. I am making the point, which a couple of posters don't seem to understand, that the higher new prices here, on cars manufactured here, are manipulated. Add to that the extreme difficulty of importing a secondhand car to Thailand, whereas countries such as Myanmar and New Zealand welcome imports. It's called protectionism.

Second hand cars here are priced on year and kilometres travelled. As winding back odometers is a national sport, and regular servicing is optional for many Thais, the secondhand market is fraught with difficulty.

Archived