Bt5,000 cash handouts to commence on Wednesday

webfact

Bt5,000 cash handouts to commence on Wednesday

By THE NATION

800_d7fd0f188407ceb.jpeg?v=1586136694

More than 260,000 out of 24.2 million registrants for the government’s Bt5,000 cash handout campaign have cancelled their applications, while the first batch of people will receive the money starting this Wednesday (April 8), the Finance Ministry said.

The government is offering eligible citizens whose livelihoods were impacted by Covid-19 Bt5,000 a month for three months. To be eligible, candidates must be Thai nationals, aged over 18, be self-employed, freelance or non-permanent employees who are not insured under social security.

Fiscal Policy Office director-general Lavaron Sangsnit said that since April 4, the registration time has been adjusted to 6am to 11.59pm via website www.เราไม่ทิ้งกัน.com (“we do not leave anyone behind”) and will remain open until no more people register.

“The government also allowed those who have already registered to cancel their applications in case they are not sure whether they are eligible for the handout, as the recipients of cash will later be audited to verify that they were really affected by Covid-19,” Lavaron said. “So far more than 260,000 people have cancelled their registrations.”

He said the first batch of cash will be handed out starting on Wednesday.

“Registrants who passed the screening process by AI of Krungthai Bank will start receiving the money via the bank account they chose from April 8,” he said. “There is no quota limit of how many persons will get the cash per day, as the system will operate on a first-come-first-serve basis to make sure those who have been affected get the money as soon as possible,” Lavaron said.

“The Finance Ministry will notify all registrants via SMS, both those who have passed or failed the screening process,” he added. “Detailed screening criteria can be found on the website.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385471

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-06
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, kevin612 said:

Feel happy for the poors to get some relieved funds to eat and I hope the government truly provides them funds for the next 3 months.

It's a good idea in principle but just speaking with the G/F, she said that it's not that easy.  She decided to apply even though she don't really need it and said that it's a right pain.  She said her son who's 16 and a really smart kid tried several times over the last few days and when he did manage to get through, the amount of questions/boxes to tick were a right nightmare.  In the end she's given up and opened the restaurant back up as a takeaway.  She was really angry with Prayut, saying that if she's had this trouble with a smart kid doing it for her, what chance have the really poor who really need it, when they have no real concept of email, internet and all the questions that are being asked?  As I haven't seen it myself I can't really comment accurately but it would be interesting to see if any others are of the same opinion?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, offset said:

It is so difficult that 24.2 million people have done it

As I previously said, only conveying what I am told so no need to be so sarcastic? Anyway, what’s your source? Wait don’t tell me, the government? ????????????

2 hours ago, champers said:

I am told from a reliable source that anyone who was working in a massage shop gets zilch while motorcycle taxi drivers; who can still work; are somehow eligible. Friends 4ever.

Thai logic we see time and time again.

On Facebook daily posts about people not getting the 5k a month, i have a feeling the people that need it the most won't get it.

Pattaya beach road is getting record breaking homeless people

Not true regarding massage shops.

The girls have to be a genuine masseuse (not a happy ending job) and need to produce a certificate from the owner confirming this.

My wife knows six of the girls who have all been accepted onto the programme.

The problem with all these 'handouts' is the criteria and bureaucracy involved, so many fall through the cracks. You need a simple, non-criteria tested system to distribute money which people can rely upon.

This is a problem in Europe currently, with many half baked schemes which inevitably result in haves and have-nots. Spain has decided to implement a universal income scheme ASAP - because they realise that trying to tailor temporary schemes to cater for everyone is nearly impossible. Also the coming recession will mean that support will need to be ongoing for substantial numbers of people for some years. Hear's wishing them every success.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jaeju said:

And she has a 12-year-old son to take care of. These are desperate times for so many Thai people but the millionaires and billionaires of the Thai establishment don't care one bit about people like her and her son. 

What's even more criminal is the fact that dad isn't required to help his family.  Deadbeat dads left off the hook far too easily here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Angry Dragon said:

What's even more criminal is the fact that dad isn't required to help his family.  Deadbeat dads left off the hook far too easily here.

Yes. And dad has said that he would only help out if mum turns son over to him and his new woman! So mum would not see her son ever again, after spending 12+ years raising him alone. Mum and son have a very close relationship and she would be devastated if she were to be separated from him. Makes my blood boil.

15 hours ago, cauldlad said:

Not true regarding massage shops.

The girls have to be a genuine masseuse (not a happy ending job) and need to produce a certificate from the owner confirming this.

My wife knows six of the girls who have all been accepted onto the programme.

As far as i know nobody has been accepted yet.

Will find out from tomorrow.

6 hours ago, bubblegum said:

Massage therapists registered with health department get the money, my wife received hers this morning.

"To be eligible, candidates must be Thai nationals, aged over 18, be self-employed, freelance or non-permanent employees who are not insured under social security."

So, the wife is a freelance therapist (i.e., doesn't work for an employer along with several other therapists) and isn't insured under social security....?

This can get tricky, as in the States, when taxation rulings are constantly arbitrating between whether someone is an employee -- or an independent contractor. How would you classify bar girls who work for (or contract out of....) a single bar?

Those working legally in Japan's sex industry will be able to access assistance in the government’s economic relief package, Health and Labor Minister Kazunobu Kato said in a news conference Tuesday.

That's a reversal of the government's original plan, which excluded restaurants and bars in the adult entertainment industry.

I never thought the Japanese Government would even admit to the fact their has been a thriving adult entertainment industry let alone provide financial assistance to those effected by it.  

LOS should provide some assistance to those affected here as well.  

17 hours ago, CharlieH said:

24 Million applications made

About 35% of the population. Eliminate the under 18's and those on social security. Doesn't add up.

Either millions trying to get it who shouldn't, or I'm picturing someone with lists of bogus ID cards and flat out fraud.

• Like 1

Back on TVF after my 2 weeks holiday. lol.

But would dearly appreciate any information about this 5000 baht scheme. 

Partner is stuck in the village in Buriram province and has tried several times to get the money. 

As have several other people. 

Keeps getting a message from the government system that says her registration number is not correct. 

So no process. 

Tries calling the information number and no answer.

Many people like she are just giving up (as they easily do) and relying on farang support..

Appreciate any help from anyone who has a partner who has received this magic money. 

They certainly need it.

On 4/6/2020 at 12:32 PM, darksidedog said:

I remember the queues at the ATMs when they gave out the 500 Baht before Xmas, so advisable to get yourself some cash by Tuesday. I have to say, it is not before time, as many Thais I know are seriously on the floor right now.

Nobody in my partner's village has received any money. Yet. 

Several other people get a message that registration number is not correct. 

So it doesn't process. 

• Like 1