Diamond Member

Diamond Member (11/14)

• Conversation Starter
  • Very Popular Rare
  • 5 Reactions Given
  • First Post
  • Posting Machine Rare

Recent Badges

1. So what you are saying is that a metal roof with insulation will not heat up the interior at any greater speed than that of a concrete tiled roof. If it has a gable roof I will agree as it will have enough clearance in the attic for the hot air to be circulated, that said, I would assume that the noise from the rain would be noticeable at times, vs nil from the concrete tile on a gable roof. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/metal-vs-tile-what-better-roof-choice-cunmac-vietnam#:~:text=Both metal and concrete roof,has evolved through the years.
  2. Begging to buy drugs is better than committing crimes to buy drugs, IMO.
  3. Not heavy if you have a steel roof.
  4. Your entitled to your opinion. I am not going to argue with people who think differently, fact of the matter is, as stated in my original post reply, 1 to 5 works fine for us and our place. You believe what you like, that said once the air cons kick in at 2pm on 40 + degree temps for a few hours, then turned off, the house remains cool until we go to bed around 10pm, and we usually turn on the air cons on at around 9.30pm in each room that we sleep in and turn them off at 10pm, whereby a floor fan takes over in each room till we awake, so your theory of our house being nice and toasty throughout the night is incorrect, suffice to say you come to your conclusion without knowing how our house is designed and if sun hits any of our cement rendered brick walls. Sometimes it's best not to assume, as I mentioned, I studied roofing for years, not to mention which way our house was going to face, what construction materials we were going to use, what side of the house our bedrooms, living rooms, kitchen were going to be on and how they were going to be shaded from the sun. The roof design, cement tiles, sissolation, insulation batts, whirly birds, cross ventilation, and eaves were the easiest part as was parting with the 10% of what it would have cost me to do back in the old country. It helps when you lived in a similar climate, and have an understanding of buildings, construction materials and designs, like I said, having I studying roofing before I went down the path I did and if anyone has a different way to reduce the heat in their roof space, then hats off to them, but I doubt it, and your statement that metal roofs are better than cement roofs just goes to show you have no idea what you are talking about IMO. At the end of it all, if your house is cool without you having to put the air conditioner on in 40 + degree temperatures till after 2pm, you win....lol .
  5. I actually tested how long it took for the heat to penetrate the cement tiles vs the Thai conventional fibro tiles and metal deck sheeting, cement tiles took the longest. I don't know how you believe it to be any different, nothing to do with weight or heaviness, it's to do with the thickness of the tile and what it's made of.
  6. Not if you have a steel roof frame, only way to go, plus no termite problems, ever.
  7. The thickness of the cement tiles on a gable roof (height in attic/ceiling) assists in reducing the heat penetration into that space, coupled together with the thermal reflective sissolation under the roof tiles, plus R38 insulation ceiling batts will reduce the heat further coming through till at least 2pm, plus the whirly birds to suck any excess heat trapped in the attic/ceiling during the 40 degree temps is the only way to go in my opinion, proof in the pudding so to speak. Just ask yourself what time you put on the air conditioner in these 40 + temps, as mentioned, ours goes on at 2pm, one at the front of the house and one at the back of the house, floor ceiling fan at each end of the house in front of the air conditioners to help push the cool air to both ends of the house which is about 30 metres long.
  8. Whatever you try will be money washed down the drain, but as they say in Thailand, "up to you". I studied roofing for years and the only way your going to reduce heat penetrating below your roof is to: 1. Put in a gable style roof 2. Put cement tiles on 3. Put in Thermal reflective sissolation under the tiles 4. Put in a gyprock ceiling with insulation batts above the gyprock ceiling. 5. Put in a couple of whirly birds We have an external area of 80m2 with an iron roof above and a gyprock ceiling, it has two big whirly birds on the roof which extracts the heat already below it, i.e. it's an open area. I know that if I put insulation batts above the gyprock ceiling, it would reduce the heat from above, however as we never use the area apart from drying clothes, it would have been a waste of money, however the house has 1 to 5 above and remains cool throughout the day, with the air conditioner turned on at about 2 pm on days that hit 40 degree or thereabout. Trying to combat the heat on the cheap here is like trying to live here without an air conditioner. Best of luck anyways.
  9. Something you have fail at miserably, your personal insults will refrain me from contributing further because I remember clearly, one can't move forward in a discussion with you, because you go around in delusional circles, cheerio.
  10. Glad to hear you also sleep better at night, I would hassard a guess that you have been stung badly by a Thai wasp previously and found out the hard way, that is, you didn't have a leg to stand on after the fact. One would hope you are one of those guys who lives and learns, but I personally doubt it, more likely doesn't get back on the horse that threw him off of it.
  11. Please do provide me with your calculations over a 10 year period, i.e. rent down the drain, capital that you would have invested and the interest you would have earned in that 10 year period, don't forget the outgoings and the area you would have purchased in, please don't cherry pick and use real interest rates at call. That is exactly what I am saying, it is dead money as is money in a bank account where inflation makes it worth less and less year in year out, unless you have assets you have invested in, your money (interest) is also dead money. Again, rent in dead money, narrow view is your opinion. I put down my example, if you wish to widen your view as you did, knock yourself out, it still doesn't reflect what I mentioned, rent is dead money, it earns nothing, does nothing for you except provide shelter for you, i.e. a place to live for a period of time earning zero $'s. You cannot argue with the fact, no matter how much you want to deflect it with interest earned, as interest earned is also dead money when inflation is taken into consideration. Yes, rent is dead money, regardless if one has kids or not, if one was humane, one would want to look out for their partners future, i.e. having their own roof over their head when the breadwinner is gone, time spent together = value in the long term, that is unless you count all your pennies and or perhaps don't have enough to support your partner, each to their own. I believe there is a name for such, Cheap Charlie comes to mind. I take it you don't know much about Thailand, well let me spell it out for you, money = power, and unless my wife's family have money, which they don't, it means they don't have power and wouldn't dare take me on, bullets & balconies are for falangs exiting this life due to being broke.
  12. As mentioned above, each to their own. Yes rents are ridiculously low in Thailand, but they come with a price, i.e. rent, no matter where you live, goes down the drain, that I learned very early in life. Noisy neighbor's of course depends on where you choose to live, sometimes you can't help it, however in our case, we have none close enough, but not far away to bother us. Losing your partner is inevitable, however we hope to go 1st, and of course a will can will, will assist you to move on if you have kids that respect you and agree to do as you tell them when the time comes, e.g. sell and move on, and buying them something else for their future, whether it be here or back in the home country (dual citizens). As for a wife's family stepping in, not an issue, they can try, but don't have the $'s to challenge me, i.e. they wouldn't want to, let alone able to pay for a private hospital bill visit vs the local vet hospital 3 times to be sent home without any causation, whereby the private hospital sorted it straight away, compliments of the Farang son in law paying the 5,000 baht bill, with the mother in law doing wai's at me from dawn to dust, yes Meh, I am the best son in law you will ever have Krupp.
  13. What "IF", naturally I would have to assess the situation when it arises, but it would be more than likely that I would relocate, whether here or back to my home country will depend of a few things. Your a funny guy, the family has always been at arms length, suffice to say, if they ever tried to do such a thing, one could say that accidents do happen, i.e. homes do burn down, but one would have to be so shallow to consider such an act. Just so you know, I am not one of those guys who sits on a barstool looking at young fillies day in day out, I am the type of guy who sees what he wants and executes that he came for....lol, hence the reason my wife has a will in place, for the house, all her land holdings, furnishings, gold, car etc which would be passed down to the kids and in turn, I will be the one who has the last say, e.g. house is going up for sale, car, furnishings, gold etc, and all the proceeds would end up in my account. If the kids want to go a different route, then they would have to weigh up if the want to lose out on the bigger picture, i.e. 90% of my assets overseas. The above said, we have raised the kids in a way that they know how to appreciate the kind of lives they have compared to others here, and how quickly life can change if they go against the grain, just a fact of life. Each to their own. If the wife did pass, the value of that I would deem the property is worth, would be what it cost me to build, albeit it, that it would be worth much more than that. That said, I would consider it free rent for the period of time that I lived in it and would reinvest it into a couple of properties for the kids here, i.e. if they wanted to live here, and the reason for that is so that they don't have to worry about having to pay rent all of their lives and of course, a clause would be in the agreement that they cannot sell it before 10 years, with a caveat showing they own me the value of it's actual cost, which would revert to zero after 10 years. By then I would anticipate that my time here would be up, so if they wanted to pi$$ it up against the wall with everything else here, it would be "up to them".
  14. Bob, those of us who have money, I mean enough to survive on till we are 101, don't throw it away on 10,000 baht steaks, if they exist, or gloat about buying a 4,000 baht bottle of wine, but please, do knock yourself out, as it's kind of entertaining. Sounds like you have the mine is bigger than yours syndrome.