Ruby Member

Ruby Member (10/14)

• First Post
  • Posting Machine Rare
  • 10 Posts
  • Conversation Starter
  • One Year In

Recent Badges

1. This is really low grade material - superficial, often inaccurate and unprofessional.If this is the standard of content Thaiger brings to the new arrangement, one has to ask exactly what value is being added. Still best not to come to a verdict prematurely so let's see whether the output improves.However in the interim those responsible need to buck their ideas up unless there's a willingness to settle for mediocrity or worse. I assume the intention is in the medium term to monetize the forum as well (one would hope) to provide a community service.I can assure those responsible that to maximize the commercial potential, it's necessary to take the audience seriously and assume its intelligence.This kind of third rate output simply won't do.
  2. Not at all clear what is hospital statement and what is reporter's comment.
  3. There do seem to be penalties for not filing a return if no tax is due, though the quoted fines are very modest.Did anyone ever dispute this? A cynic might argue that if the individual is confident of his ground that no tax is due and has evidence to prove it - it might be a cost effective way of proceeding - in the highly unlikely event of ever being challenged. The more pertinent question however for many of us is whether a return needs to be filed if there is no assessable income, In other words if an individual only remits funds from a pre-2024 source.
  4. Ridiculous article and mostly irrelevant comments.There is no journey to a new citizenship just a matter of filling in a form which required insertion of country of usual residence. Harry will always be British and a member of the royal family, a son of a king and only brother of a future king.Furthermore his character and disposition is exactly what one would expect from an officer class aristocrat. Like quite a few upper crust Englishmen a cold perhaps wounded heart has been melted by a vivacious American woman.Harry will always be English.Neither Harry nor Meghan have always be sensible or self aware but personally I give them a lot of slack.I hope they prosper in America and reconcile with William/Kate soon.Nothing is served by venomous royal experts on one side or the horrible Sussex Squad on the other.
  5. Last time was about two years ago at shop in Bumrungrad when I brought a new cuff. I should do it more often. But I also have two machines which I alternate to make sure readings are consistent.
  6. Dentists problematic on this issue.Staff often inexperienced in measuring, cuffs often wrong size, machines often not calibrated regularly.And the usual white coat syndrome. I measure my own BP at home and show the app.That usually satisfies.
  7. You are right but as in immigration matters (the eternal "should I use a lawyer" argument for example) it depends on a number of factors. 1.How enjoyable/productive do you find interconnecting with Thai bureaucrats? For some it is a weird turn on. 2.In my previous career did I have some expertise (e.g accounting/tax) which makes that interconnection a smooth process? 3.How much do I value my time? 4.Am I well enough off not to care about expense of delegating an inherently boring task? 5.Can I completely trust the organization/person I delegate to? 6.What is my boredom threshold? You can immediately see that everyone will be different.One man might find a fun filled session with the RD an exciting way to spend a morning.Another would rather stab himself in then head with a fork or have a more pressing engagement tidying his sock drawer.I will probably follow your example and do it myself.Point 5 is the key consideration in my case.
  8. I'm sorry but I have no first hand knowledge, though I have spoken to a contact.I had noticed on googling that NT status is said by some sources to be related to the UK having a DTA with the country of residence in question.My contact however said that HMRC can give NT status to overseas pensioners (via UK pension provider) if all the conditions are filled, regardless of where the overseas petitioner lives.Basically you have to have had the greater part of your career overseas and not returned to the UK on retirement.You also have to apply at the time of your retirement.My contact said the HMRC were not particularly helpful, almost as if there was an institutional bias not to agree NT status.
  9. Not necessarily.I know of two cases here in Thailand and one in Singapore where the UK tax authority HMRC has agreed NT status so that no tax is withheld from the pension paid in the UK. There are some hoops to jump through to get NT status but the main one is that the pension holder must have spent most of his career abroad, particularly the last twenty years or so of it.I believe visits to the UK have to be minimized so the NT status is not endangered.
  10. Frankly this is a new consideration for me, and on reflection not difficult to deal with.I could go into more detail. The remark about angels/pins was not personal.It was made about all of us wrestling with fairly minor issues when with a little patience all will be revealed in the next few months.
  11. I don't recall saying that or possibly I didn't make clear enough the point (my only point really) about the distinction between assessable and non assessable income remittances and the requirement for filing a return.On the face of it the former definitely requires a return to be filed and the latter (probably) doesn't.I think we should be careful not to be too prescriptive here because the position could easily change - as I have several times observed.
  12. I think it's fine but I wonder whether it's necessary to have any of the added highlighted text at this stage.It's a commendable attempt to provide clarity but not really possible at this stage without a lot of subjectivity.I'm sure it will be mostly clear in a few months. Sometimes this discussion reminds me of that of medieval scholars debating how many angels could dance on the head of a pin.
  13. On the basis of current evidence I believe it to be true. Yet in my opinion it would not be an unreasonable thing for the RD to request - so it needs to be monitored.