Proof of residency - living at hotel in Isan

I'm doing fine and have my retirement extension from Khon Kaen. I live in Maha Sarakhom - retired.

I had to make 2 trips to the immigration office in Khon Kaen as they sent me back to get - aparently "proof of residence".

It took over 1 week for the hotel to complete the paper work. However it all turned out just perfect. I've been at this " Hotel " for 5 months already.

Wow - interview and so much seemingly - drama. So many pages and documents the hotel had to provide.

Next question is - if I want to move a few miles away - what documents do I need for the 90 day report?

I was asking for 30 day extension few weeks ago in Pattaya, didn't have all the proof of my stay in Pattaya condo, so flyed out of country and back.

Friend of mine later suggested I should have just stayed in any hotel for 1 night, hotel receipt should count as rental agreement. It just didn't occur to me at the time, and was 2 days away from must leave date.

Seems now hotel receipt would not have been enough anyway.

Why is this? Do the suspect we are all homeless, so trying to catch us they require ton of proof, that I really stay where I say I stay. But why would anybody lie? I think background check by police is done automatically every time extension is applied for.

Understood, police and immigration want to know where the tourist live,

but here must be another, easier way to keep tabs on us, foreigners. Maybe some sort of sign on the building door, a special logo that can quickly be painted or drown on the outside.

Hotel usually have sign on the building, it often says HOTEL, and it is good indication that there maybe foreigners lurking inside.. But if hotel receipt is not enough proof that you are staying there, then Im out of ideas.

I should have made copies.

Not " gross exaggeration " BTW I'm not British boy.

Apparently the hotel owner owns 3 hotels and had to provide many documents.

Anyway, I was wondering if I move to an apartment nearby - will it be so complex as it seemed to be at the hotel.

I am happy here but would like to have a kitchen in the near future.

I'm just trying to understand the rules - if I want to move to an apartment. Maybe can BBQ and stuff.

Maybe it's easier than I think.

I'm good to go here at the hotel and pretty happy ( 6,000 Bt per month ). I have a motor bike and can find the food I want.

I just am dreaming of a larger fridge and a BBQ and maybe more channels on the TV ( and maybe better internet connection ).

Anyway, no rush.

Not so easy up here in Maha Sarakhom as hardly anyone can speak English. I rarely see falang. My Thai is just OK.

Why people like pattaya is beyond me. Maybe just a stage in life.

I highly recommend Maha Sarakhom. Whatever your looking for is here - and more. however you will need a motor bike or car.

It's been 10 years since I've been to pattaya - maybe take my girl for a visit down there to see.

Anyway, I'm just conserned about moving out of the hotel and my 90 day report stuff.

Apparently the hotel had not registered with immigration to do the reporting online so they had to supply more than the normal amount of paperwork to give a TM30 form. If they had been registered and had already done the report online it would of been much simpler.you

To do your 90 day report you will need no proof of residence. Just a completed TM47 form with your current address on it. You can also do it online.

When you move you should file a TM28 change of address form. You would then need a TM30 form from the apartment owners or management. You will need a rental agreement for the apartment with copies of the owners house book and ID card attached.

• Like 2

When you move you should file a TM28 change of address form. You would then need a TM30 form from the apartment owners or management. You will need a rental agreement for the apartment with copies of the owners house book and ID card attached.

Joe, how does that work -- the owner's house book and ID card issues -- if the entity you're renting from is some corporate/company entity as opposed to a private person?

Joe, how does that work -- the owner's house book and ID card issues -- if the entity you're renting from is some corporate/company entity as opposed to a private person?

If would require business registration documents instead of the house book and authority for the persos signing form for them.

That's not complicated. I have a private residence and while doing my 90 days decide to see if i could get my visa extension at the same time, this would be a month in advance. It was possible and after two hours i got my '' under consideration'' stamp, '' we will come to your house to check if you really live there and then on the 20th December you come back to the office and you get your visa''. ''What about my 90 day slip'' ''Go to next desk'' The officer looked at my under consideration stamp and decided i don't need the 90 day slip until i get the visa stamp so out we go and i started to think....This is a scam, they come to my house look at the passport and fine me for not having done the 90 days so i send the wife back in and the officer grudgingly put the slip in my passport. The wife later rang up a friend of hers married to a farang who had gone through the whole process, they turned up at the house and asked for 3,000 Baht to ''make sure'' that the visa would go through.

• Like 2

" So many pages and documents the hotel had to provide. "

How many pages/ documents , exactly ?

​Why indulge in gross exaggeration

I don't think it is an exaggeration, Thai Immigration, in fact Thailand as a whole, are paperwork in the brain, give Immigration 100 sheets and they will ask for 101. sorry, maybe that's an exaggeration,

but I think you get my drift.

In this age of computers, you would think that paperwork could be kept to a minimum, maybe the lack of computer literacy is something to do with the general Thailand lack of education.

That's not complicated. I have a private residence and while doing my 90 days decide to see if i could get my visa extension at the same time, this would be a month in advance. It was possible and after two hours i got my '' under consideration'' stamp, '' we will come to your house to check if you really live there and then on the 20th December you come back to the office and you get your visa''. ''What about my 90 day slip'' ''Go to next desk'' The officer looked at my under consideration stamp and decided i don't need the 90 day slip until i get the visa stamp so out we go and i started to think....This is a scam, they come to my house look at the passport and fine me for not having done the 90 days so i send the wife back in and the officer grudgingly put the slip in my passport. The wife later rang up a friend of hers married to a farang who had gone through the whole process, they turned up at the house and asked for 3,000 Baht to ''make sure'' that the visa would go through.

Applied for extension of stay based on marriage. Got the 1 month under consideration stamp and have to wait for the house visit.

Local Thai police visited my house yesterday, made a picture of me with one of them, wrote my name in Thai language, adress, telephone number, age and passport number in his book.

I had to sign the page.

NO MONEY ASKED.

Application made at Krabi Immigration.

post-171086-0-41921500-1448685494_thumb.

I'm just trying to understand the rules - if I want to move to an apartment. Maybe can BBQ and stuff.

Maybe it's easier than I think.

I'm good to go here at the hotel and pretty happy ( 6,000 Bt per month ). I have a motor bike and can find the food I want.

I just am dreaming of a larger fridge and a BBQ and maybe more channels on the TV ( and maybe better internet connection ).

Anyway, no rush.

Not so easy up here in Maha Sarakhom as hardly anyone can speak English. I rarely see falang. My Thai is just OK.

Why people like pattaya is beyond me. Maybe just a stage in life.

I highly recommend Maha Sarakhom. Whatever your looking for is here - and more. however you will need a motor bike or car.

It's been 10 years since I've been to pattaya - maybe take my girl for a visit down there to see.

Anyway, I'm just conserned about moving out of the hotel and my 90 day report stuff.

That's just it, why should you have to be concerned? This is Thailand and the authorities would not be Thai if

they did not like to make things unnecessary harder.

Referring to your last sentence, is there not some department that the friend of your wife can report this to? It is downright fraud.

But again, maybe, and I emphasis maybe, it is the case if you start complaining or reporting anybody, the Immigration can

start and make it awkward for you in the future.

I need to get a residence certificate ( to renew drivers license). I am currently just house sitting a house ie not on the lease . What can get or need to get the residency certificate?

Thanks

As far I can recall you got your current driver's license also with proof of residence. So the question is how did you got the drivers license in the first place?

in that answer is also the solution to your question.

proof of residence you get easy

go to the immigration office and they will provide you the proof pf address.

if you are registered that of course with them (TM28) you will have hte lower part of the TM28 stapled in your passport when you did do the report of address.

if not dod the address registration do it. and you will get the proof as well from the officer.

Otherwise you can ask your partner to guarantee for you. Your partner will know a few people who will go with you as well the village head. Then you get a letter at the Ampur. that letter you can need for the extension of the driver's license.

success

I need to get a residence certificate ( to renew drivers license). I am currently just house sitting a house ie not on the lease . What can get or need to get the residency certificate?

Thanks

As far I can recall you got your current driver's license also with proof of residence. So the question is how did you got the drivers license in the first place?

in that answer is also the solution to your question.

proof of residence you get easy

go to the immigration office and they will provide you the proof pf address.

if you are registered that of course with them (TM28) you will have hte lower part of the TM28 stapled in your passport when you did do the report of address.

if not dod the address registration do it. and you will get the proof as well from the officer.

Otherwise you can ask your partner to guarantee for you. Your partner will know a few people who will go with you as well the village head. Then you get a letter at the Ampur. that letter you can need for the extension of the driver's license.

success

Referring to your last sentence, is there not some department that the friend of your wife can report this to? It is downright fraud.

But again, maybe, and I emphasis maybe, it is the case if you start complaining or reporting anybody, the Immigration can

It hasn't happened to me yet so i'm still waiting. I have learnt here that one goes with the flow,don't make ripples in the calm pond water that is Thailand. As to the farang husband i don't know him, i heard this through the wife. There is a case of your word against 3 immigration officers, defamation laws and the fact that getting a visa or extension is ''at the discretion of the immigration officer'', makes 3,000 Baht seem cheap.

• Like 1

You can, as well, get residence certificates from your embassy.

Last year when got my residence certificate was in a lease in my name.This time as stated am not in a lease.

So if I can get guarantors to go with me to Ampur and get letter (what would this letter be called?)I don't need residence certificate, I am on tourist visa BTW.

So you are not living in town.My wife is teaching,Anatomy, first year Medical at old University in Maha Sarakham.Her brother is a Doctor in Naklua,he studied at the old University at Maha Sarakham.I have never been to a place in LOS where all the kids and people speak English and good as Maha Sarakham.Go and have a sit down at one of the Universitys all the kids will come up to you and speak English they love doing it

Last year when got my residence certificate was in a lease in my name.This time as stated am not in a lease.

So if I can get guarantors to go with me to Ampur and get letter (what would this letter be called?)I don't need residence certificate, I am on tourist visa BTW.

Yup, 3,200 Baht at the British Embassy! sad.png

Same thing happened to me a few years ago from Kap Chong immigration but I refused to pay ,and about complaining I the other day asked why they serve no 26 before no. 23 and the four photos I supplied were not enough I had to give them 11 photos and copied 11 x2 =22 (not Kap choeng)pays not to complain because they make you pay one way or another

• Like 2

Same thing happened to me a few years ago from Kap Chong immigration but I refused to pay ,and about complaining I the other day asked why they serve no 26 before no. 23 and the four photos I supplied were not enough I had to give them 11 photos and copied 11 x2 =22 (not Kap choeng)pays not to complain because they make you pay one way or another

Most times the IOs are OK, but there are still some who just don't like Farangs. They are

that stupid they don't realise it is Farangs mainly who keep them in a job.

Thieving b@stards. not the Embassy staff themselves, the UK government.

• Like 1

I think you mean Kap Choen, that is where i do my stuff as well, on the whole i find them OK. if i get any hassle it's best to let the wife handle it, they have their own way of getting out of paying with nobody losing face. I found out recently that every time i do my visa extension she slips them 500 Baht even though everything is finished and above board and the stamp is in the passport. ''Why do you do that'' ''They remember you in a nice way and it makes things easier if you do have problems''. We shall see.

Not everybody has a democratic government that looks after their citizens like us Brits

Some embassies in Thailand don't charge for this service ;-)

• Like 1

Apparently the hotel had not registered with immigration to do the reporting online so they had to supply more than the normal amount of paperwork to give a TM30 form. If they had been registered and had already done the report online it would of been much simpler.you

To do your 90 day report you will need no proof of residence. Just a completed TM47 form with your current address on it. You can also do it online.

Ok - I think you hit the nail on the head.

They even wrote a new receipt for this months rent and asked me not to show the letter I wrote explaining how I'd been living here for 5 months already.

Got it.

Thanks for everything ubonjoe