All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Quick pocket guide - Bannon is the aging rocker who badly needs to wash his hair, Bolton is the one who looks like the fire chief from Trumpton. Alternatively, Bolton is the one who makes rather more sense!
  3. Thailand Takes Action on Refugee Crisis Amid Thai-Myanmar Dispute Picture courtesy of Assawin Pinitwong Thailand's government committee, under the leadership of Deputy Prime Minister Parnpree Bahiddha-Nukara, met for the first time to discuss the refugee crisis and enhance security prompted by the Thai-Myanmar border conflict. Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1325861-thailand-takes-action-on-refugee-crisis-amid-thai-myanmar-dispute/
  4. In the pre-social media days, these police activities would never come to light. Police would think themselves untouchable. That is the mindset which still persists even when caught with their fingers in the till.
  5. How much evidence is needed to not "set up a committee to investigate the matter" and instead forward evidence to a prosecutor. Next will be the transfer to an inactive post, with pay. Then evidence disappears, witnesses change their stories or a misunderstanding is declared. TIT
  6. Picture courtesy of Assawin Pinitwong Thailand's government committee, under the leadership of Deputy Prime Minister Parnpree Bahiddha-Nukara, met for the first time to discuss the refugee crisis and enhance security prompted by the Thai-Myanmar border conflict. Defence Minister Sutin Klungsang and Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul accompanied the deputy PM on an inspection of the problematic Tak's Mae Sot district, where local officials reported just under 1,000 refugees sheltering. Formed by Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin on April 11th, the committee focused on the impact of the Myanmar conflict on Thailand, from the expected arrival of refugees to the necessary security measures. Nikorndej Balankura from the Foreign Affairs Ministry outlined the committee's three main objectives: safeguarding Thailand's sovereignty, preventing acts against the Myanmar government on Thai soil, and upholding humanitarian principles. The National Security Council is responsible for closely watching developments in Myanmar, and the Foreign Affairs Ministry will collaborate with globally recognised bodies. Nikorndej stated that the situation calls for ongoing assessment, but expressed hope that Parnpree’s upcoming visit would improve understanding of the dispute. He assured that Thailand plans to provide aid to refugees and mediate peace talks if required, whilst enforcing a strict ban on armed groups within Thai territory. -- ASEAN NOW 2024-04-25 Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe
  7. No, just tired of hearing people brag because something's missing in their lives. It's always best to be humble because showing off only impresses the sheep. I know a lot of people who do better than most and they aren't feeling the need to tell others.
  8. All well and good IF you have the power in the first place. It is quite common in our area for the power to go off at the slightest provocation, a bird perching on the wire, a spattering of raindrops, a snake in the works, or a drunk Somchai taking out a power pole at 8 at night. Last night the power went off at 10 minutes to nine, and came back on at exactly 6 this morning. I, like most everyone else am looking forward to the rains, but that is tinged with the certainty that the power will be off daily.
  9. I walk every morning and have a problem with some dogs. I carry a bit of bamboo with me they bark and growl but won’t come near me. Before I use to carry a small taser with me I found they not like the noise and run the other way and if they do come close enough just zap them. I m waiting for my new one to arrive.
  10. US Justice Department to decide by late May whether Boeing violated deferred prosecution deal. https://www.reuters.com/legal/litigation/us-decide-by-late-may-if-boeing-violated-prosecution-deal-sources-say-2024-04-24/
  11. What if he held a MAGA protest at the courthouse. And no one came...
  12. Had not heard of that scheme, will have to have a google and read. I recall my good friend of some years back actually sold his uk letting apartments in large part because of the continual tax obligations and reporting. But the point about pensions is the key part, the idea that somehow pensions are always UK source income and always taxed at source in the UK isnt correct. Most British citizens resident in Thailand will be able to qualify for 100% tax relief, via the P85 and NT code structure and pay no UK taxes on UK pensions (and as usual some niche cases will have to, Armed forces etc).
  13. There are no appointments as such, it is first come first served. I'd recommend getting there at 4.30 so you have a chance of getting the first number in the queue as is gets busy quick. Small waiting area inside and plastic chairs set up in the outside area beside the pavement.
  14. Who is this "latest report" from? I guess they're not counting expats who breathe the air.
  15. Here the clip of the 16' speech that MP Danny Kruger delivered on 18 April 2024 for - once again - an almost empty British Parliament. The comments on that speech are twofold: 1 - Kudos to Danny Kruger for having the courage to address that very real 'Hot Potato' issue. 2 - Anger and disgust for the absence of MPs and the disgraceful conduct of the Speaker of the House. The speech itself goes beyond the Excess Deaths scandal, and addresses the accountability for the covid jab-response and questions the immunity of Pfizer/Moderna in light of what was known but not revealed to the unsuspecting public.
  16. The e-gates have been disabled for PR holders for many years now. My PR book is full every few years, I need a new passport on average every 2-3 years. I wish we could use e-gates again, I'd be the first one to use them.
  17. Thai Cabinet Pushes for UNESCO Heritage Tag for Songkhla Photo courtesy of Museum Thailand The Thai Cabinet has approved the proposal to get UNESCO World Heritage status for four ancient towns in Songkhla province. This is a significant move aimed at preserving the rich cultural heritage in the region. Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1325860-thai-cabinet-pushes-for-unesco-heritage-tag-for-songkhla/
  18. This is a draft of the change to para 77, the tax filing process. If anyone wants to suggest changes or additions, I will be happy to incorporate them where possible. 77) Tax returns must be filed between 1 January and 31 March each year, if you file later than that, penalties will apply. Tax filing is electronic or paper based. the address where paper based returns must be sent can be found in the link below. Whichever method you use to file, you must obtain a TIN first. Completing a tax return is a simple affair for most people, if you have difficulty, the Revenue Department staff are extremely helpful. If you want to file electronically, you should ask the TRD office to set up your on-line account and show you how to use the system. If you are not fluent in Thai it may help to take somebody with you who is. If you want to try doing this yourself at home, the TRD e-filing site is where you can apply for an e-filing account, submit forms and also practise using the system. https://efiling.rd.go.th/rd-cms/
  19. The Thai Cabinet has approved the proposal to get UNESCO World Heritage status for four ancient towns in Songkhla province. This is a significant move aimed at preserving the rich cultural heritage in the region. The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment has been assigned to prepare the proposal to be submitted to the UNESCO World Heritage Centre. The submission was scheduled for April 15 and the decision will be taken during the 46th session of the World Heritage Committee, which will convene in New Delhi, India from July 21 to 31. The project, under the title 'Songkhla and its Associated Lagoon Settlements', encompasses four districts: Ranot, Sathing Phra, Singhanakhon, and Mueang Songkhla. The Songkhla Lagoon, Thailand's only brackish water lagoon with unique, centuries-old cultural practices, is part of this endeavour. The application includes historic treasures like Phang Yang, Phakho, Si Yang of Sathing Phra, Pom Khai Singkora, and Songkhla Old Town including Bo Yang as reported by Pattaya Mail. Thailand, having already four sites on the World Heritage List including the Historic Town of Sukhothai, the Historic City of Ayutthaya, the Ban Chiang Archaeological Site, and the Ancient Town of Si Thep, aims to add more cultural sites to this prestigious list. TOP Photo courtesy of Museum Thailand -- ASEAN NOW 2024-04-25 Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe
  20. We already know the origin. Jon Stewart did a great bit on this. And of course he was fired and cancelled for the skit but hey, that doesn’t mean anything.
  21. I would not hold my breath, they will flip flop back next month.
  22. The plandemic fulfilled all its goals. Plandemic 2.0 they can assuredly improve slightly.
  23. Simply change your rental accommodation location. Another reason not to buy in Thailand.
  1. Load more activity