All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Stop moaning and get a part time job. I only worked in the UK for 5 years but will get the full pension if I continue to pay £160 or so a year in voluntary class B contributions. Great ROI unless I die. UK state pension is a bonus, it's all about perspective. I can build a 4 bedroom house with a pool here for under £50,000, for example. I can live in a hotel and eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in a restaurant, and a bottle of whisky daily all for £170 a week. Better than a council flat in Aberdeen, with sideways rain, wearing a wooly bunnet, eating beans on toast.
  3. Songkran Festival Boosts Thai Economy by 140 Billion Baht Songkran. Picture courtesy of Wikimedia Commons The Songkran Festival, celebrated between April 1-21, led to a significant economic upturn in Thailand, raking in revenue of 140.335 billion baht, which exceeded the Ministry of Tourism's initial estimate of 132 billion baht. The numbers were shared by the country's Minister of Tourism and Sports, Sudawan Wangsupakitkosol. Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1326040-songkran-festival-boosts-thai-economy-by-140-billion-baht/
  4. Again can you verify that statement as I don't believe it, thanks. 😕
  5. ..agreed!..the driver casually exited the car, not looking at the injured rider seated..instead of normally stepping straight from the car, notice how he turned to his right facing his own car as he shut the door, totally ignoring the rider, then casually walked to inspect the front of his car...shame on you driver! PS. I can't see any right hand indicator flashing although it maybe the new LED strip type.
  6. The Songkran Festival, celebrated between April 1-21, led to a significant economic upturn in Thailand, raking in revenue of 140.335 billion baht, which exceeded the Ministry of Tourism's initial estimate of 132 billion baht. The numbers were shared by the country's Minister of Tourism and Sports, Sudawan Wangsupakitkosol. A total of 1,926,443 international tourists partook in the festival, contributing 90.208 billion baht to Thailand's economy. Local tourism also thrived with 13,897,988 domestic trips adding another 50.127 billion baht. The highest revenue on a five-day count from April 12-16 was 38.034 billion baht, marking a 37.54% spike from last year. Relaxed visa rules, abolished TM.6 forms, and government schemes fueled this surge. The mix of tourists was diverse, with visitors mostly from China, Malaysia, India, Russia, South Korea, Laos, the UK, Taiwan, USA, and Indonesia. Chinese tourists alone recorded an 89.16% surge compared to the previous year. The festival revenue largely streamed from various segments. Accommodation costs totaled to 42.069 billion baht, food and beverages followed with 33.069 billion, souvenir and merchandise costs were 26.839 billion, transportation expenses were 15.505 billion, while entertainment costs were 14.758 million. Tourist services amounted to 5.865 million, with 2.230 million baht spent on miscellaneous expenses. Songkran. Picture courtesy of Wikimedia Commons -- 2024-04-27 Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe
  7. "If you say who fact checks the fact checkers, you've fallen for the right wing propaganda." This is exactly what you said... so you believe that fact checking the fact checkers is right wing propaganda instead of common sense.
  8. Saying Ukraine can't win is a standard Kremlin talking point. Also actually believing the nuclear threats from the Kremlin plays right into Putin's hands.
  9. A troll post and the replies contravening our Community Standards have been removed.
  10. Thanks for all those links OG but they still fail to address the post I asked for verification for. I am not trying to catch anyone out but trying to piece the jigsaw together.
  11. I agree, the British government, no matter which party, has never overly concerned themselves much with the people they are supposed to represent, any progress made since the industrial revolution has been due to some very brave men and women who fought for basic rights under the threat of imprisonment or worse. British pensions are not a right, they are classed as a benefit. Luckily I spent most of my working life in Germany and get a good (tax free) state pension and company pension with increases paid every year no matter where I live in the world after retiring at the age of 58. I do get a British pension of 37 pounds a week. I haven't been to the UK for 54 years, they can keep their 'island home'.
  12. I understand English perfectly well... maybe it's the way that you use it that's the problem.
  13. Try flying on the internal Chinese airlines. On landing, as soon as the wheels touch the runway the passengers are up and out of their seats, grabbing their stuff from the overhead lockers. Once at the gate they all make a dash for the toilets. I was told by a 'reputable' authority that they are reluctant to use the on-board toilets as there is a dragon hiding in there. Hence, on landing they are all bursting to go to the loo. Quite funny to see but not at all safe. The airline staff seem not to give a hoot.
  14. Work smarter ... not harder... .... coffee & Danish on you You may have to buy / add more, extra fast internet to your promotion, depending on your need/usage.
  15. I guess we now know at least one of the items that was up for discussion the other day when Teflon Thaksin had His meeting with the P.M.
  16. I have always gone to T-Mobile but they have changed to an online company called Ultra. I have this package waiting at my daughters house in SF, the best I could find. $39.99 for 15GB and a month. https://www.ultramobile.com/product/15gb-prepaid-plan/?attribute_months=1-month-plan
  17. UN special rapporteur on the right to food, said of Israeli actions: In March, UN Special Rapporteur on the Occupied Palestinian Territories Francesca Albanese released a report concluding “that there are reasonable grounds to believe that the threshold indicating Israel’s commission of genocide is met.” During its campaign in Gaza, Israel’s “military has been heavily reliant on imported aircraft, guided bombs and missiles,” and 69% of Israel’s arms imports between 2019 and 2023 have come from the US (BBC, 4/5/24).
  18. They are not and did not say they were. Its about the discrimination and inequality that they show.
  19. Not quite - you have to have 35 years of NI contributions to get the full state pension (pro rata if you have less but subject to 10 years minimum). There have been discussions about it becoming means tested in face of the increasing burden of the state pension however. I think it will eventually come to that - not something I agreed with.
  20. same thing is happening in other EU states as well as in the USA where taxes paid for by citizens have to go for the care, housing, schools, etc of the illegals. Will eventually break the backs of the citizens for sure. Already the states leading the "take care of the illegal immigrants first" programs are losing hundreds of thousands of citizens each year! If one reads the news regularly then one would recognize that this is a big problem for the "developed "free" states as China, Russia, N. Korea, Iran, Afghanistan don't have an imigrant problem. Sorry to intrude on the Brit problem but just wanted to let them know that the problem also exists elsewhere.
  21. Sorry, no longer available message. I received it yesterday, I slipped through I guess.
  22. Tire blown out or distracted by a glowing handheld device?
  23. One would hope the fine for a second offense in five months would be large enough to discourage such shameful actions. !00k will do nothing.
  24. UN special rapporteur on the right to food, said of Israeli actions: In March, UN Special Rapporteur on the Occupied Palestinian Territories Francesca Albanese released a report concluding “that there are reasonable grounds to believe that the threshold indicating Israel’s commission of genocide is met.” During its campaign in Gaza, Israel’s “military has been heavily reliant on imported aircraft, guided bombs and missiles,” and 69% of Israel’s arms imports between 2019 and 2023 have come from the US (BBC, 4/5/24).
  1. Load more activity