BANGKOK 20 April 2019 05:27

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Peru ex-president leaves cadaver as sign of 'contempt' for his enemies - suicide note By Marco Aquino Friends and family carry the coffin with the remains of Peru's former President Alan Garcia, who killed himself this week, during the last of three days of national mourning declared by President Martin Vizcarra, in Lima, Peru April 19, 2019. REUTERS/Guadalupe Pardo LIMA (Reuters) - Peruvian ex-president Alan Garcia wrote in an alleged suicide note read by family members at a wake on Friday that he had killed himself in order to avoid humiliation at the hands of his political enemies. Garcia shot himself in the head earlier this week as police arrived at his door to arrest him in connection with alleged bribes from Brazilian builder Odebrecht, in the most dramatic turn yet in Latin America's largest graft scandal. Before his suicide, Garcia had repeatedly brushed off allegations of corruption as a political hit. One of Garcia´s daughters read the apparent suicide note at a wake held by his APRA political party, which twice helped usher Garcia to the presidency. Reuters was unable to independently verify the authenticity of the letter, nor the time at which it was written. "I will not be humiliated," read Luciana Garcia, citing a note left by her father before his suicide. "I have seen others paraded around in handcuffs, living a miserable existence, but Alan Garcia has no need to suffer these injustices." "For this reason, I leave to my children the dignity of my decisions; to my friends, my pride, and to my enemies, my cadaver as a sign of my contempt for them." The note underscores the deep political rift that continues to plague the Odebrecht investigation in Peru and elsewhere in Latin America. Peruvian prosecutors investigating the Brazilian builder said they had gathered sufficient evidence to hold Garcia in pre-trial detention while they prepared charges against him. Garcia maintained his innocence until the end, calling the probe politically motivated. "In this time of rumors and hatred, believed by the majority...I have seen how these procedures are used to humiliate and not to seek the truth," Garcia wrote in the letter read before thousands of his friends and allies at the wake. President Martin Vizcarra, whose administration has overseen the probe, had offered Garcia´s family a state funeral with honours, typical of that received by former presidents. The Garcia family declined Vizcarra´s offer, preferring instead a private event with the ex-president´s friends and allies. Garcia´s suicide is likely to drive a wedge between Vizcarra´s government and the right-leaning opposition in Peru´s Congress, many of whom were allied with the ex-president. -- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-20
  3. I just have brandy with coke zero now, no beer and absolutely no cider , can drink, can't get drunk anymore, as to much at once can divert your body from sugar control. Good things, fish, chicken, egg white, mushrooms, peas, broccolli, lentils, Almond milk /Yoghurt, meiji yogurt 0 fat is quite low sugar. 90% coco dark choc. High fibre cereal (fiber moderates the sugar somewhat), some milk needs checking the label. Not so good, French Fries, potatoes, white rice, make them minor proportion of your meal. Orange/ fruit juice (unless drunk with a meal in moderation). Carbohydrate = sugar with a conversion. Dodgy, most chocolate, almost the whole confectionery and biscuit section. spray whipped cream, soft drinks that are not sugar free, some drinking yoghurt....
  4. White House says Trump spoke to Libyan commander Haftar on Monday By Steve Holland FILE PHOTO: Khalifa Haftar, the military commander who dominates eastern Libya, arrives to attend an international conference on Libya at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, May 29, 2018. REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer/File Photo WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (Reuters) - The White House said on Friday that President Donald Trump spoke by phone earlier in the week and discussed "ongoing counterterrorism efforts" with Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar, leader of a military assault on the capital Tripoli in opposition to the internationally recognised government. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096083-white-house-says-trump-spoke-to-libyan-commander-haftar-on-monday/
  5. English is an international language Thai is not.
  6. White House says Trump spoke to Libyan commander Haftar on Monday By Steve Holland FILE PHOTO: Khalifa Haftar, the military commander who dominates eastern Libya, arrives to attend an international conference on Libya at the Elysee Palace in Paris, France, May 29, 2018. REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer/File Photo WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (Reuters) - The White House said on Friday that President Donald Trump spoke by phone earlier in the week and discussed "ongoing counterterrorism efforts" with Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar, leader of a military assault on the capital Tripoli in opposition to the internationally recognised government. In Libya on Friday, two children were killed by shelling in the southern Tripoli suburb of Qaser Ben Ghasher, residents said. Officials could not immediately reached for comment. A White House statement said that in the phone call on Monday, Trump "recognised Field Marshal Haftar’s significant role in fighting terrorism and securing Libya’s oil resources, and the two discussed a shared vision for Libya’s transition to a stable, democratic political system". It was unclear why the White House waited several days to announce the phone call. Europe and the Gulf have been divided over a push by Haftar's forces to seize Tripoli. Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said "a military solution is not what Libya needs." He said he supported Haftar's "role in counterterroism" and that Washington needed Haftar's "support in building democratic stability there in the region." Asked whether Trump contacted him before calling Haftar, Shanahan said the Pentagon and the White House "are well-aligned on Libya." At least seven people had been killed as of Tuesday, a day after Trump's call to Haftar. The current death toll is not known. At least 2,000 people protested on Tripoli's central Martyrs' Square on Friday against Haftar and his offensive. Some protesters criticized Trump's call to the commander. "The call has no meaning but we will respond to it," said Abdelrizaq Musheirib, a protester. Ahmed Mismari, spokesman for Haftar's Libyan National Army (LNA), said Trump's call showed the pivotal role of the LNA in fighting terrorism, Sky News Arabia reported. CEASEFIRE CALL On Thursday, both the United States and Russia said they could not support a U.N. Security Council resolution calling for a ceasefire in Libya at this time. Also on Thursday, mortar bombs crashed down on a suburb of Tripoli, almost hitting a clinic, after two weeks of an offensive by Haftar's eastern troops on the capital. Russia objects to the British-drafted resolution blaming Haftar for the latest flare-up in violence when his LNA advanced to the outskirts of Tripoli earlier this month, diplomats said. The United States did not give a reason for its decision not to support the draft resolution, which would also call on countries with influence over the warring parties to ensure compliance and for unconditional humanitarian aid access in Libya. The country has been gripped by anarchy since Muammar Gaddafi was toppled in 2011. White House national security adviser John Bolton also spoke recently to Haftar. Jalel Harchaoui, research fellow at the Clingendael Institute international relations think-tank in The Hague, said the Trump phone call was tantamount to supporting Haftar's operation and thus creates "an environment where a military intervention by foreign states, like Egypt, is likelier". "One reason behind Trump’s phone call is that Haftar’s army has revealed itself less powerful than the Libyan strongman had claimed," Harchaoui said. Haftar was among officers who helped Gaddafi rise to power in 1969 but fell out with him during Libya's war with Chad in the 1980s. Haftar was taken prisoner by the Chadians and had to be rescued by the CIA after having worked from Chad to overthrow Gaddafi. He lived for around 20 years in the U.S. state of Virginia before returning home in 2011 to join other rebels in the uprising that ousted Gaddafi. -- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-20
  7. I read it, explains a lot of stuff. Not saying I understood it all mind, but if you want to know where matter came from, it does help understand it.
  8. I'll pass thanks. Seems a lot of people think they know how life the universe and everything actually works- they know nothing, humans know nothing. False pride will be the downfall of mankind. The entire human race will be extinct before they actually learn the reality of life, the universe and everything.
  9. Democrats make legal bid for all Russia probe evidence, Trump poll numbers drop By Doina Chiacu and David Morgan FILE PHOTO: Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) speaks during a mark up hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., March 26, 2019. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts/File Photo WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Congressional Democrats on Friday took legal action to get hold of all of U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller's evidence from his inquiry into Russian meddling in the 2016 election, as the probe's findings hit President Donald Trump's poll ratings. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096082-democrats-make-legal-bid-for-all-russia-probe-evidence-trump-poll-numbers-drop/
  10. Democrats make legal bid for all Russia probe evidence, Trump poll numbers drop By Doina Chiacu and David Morgan FILE PHOTO: Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) speaks during a mark up hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., March 26, 2019. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts/File Photo WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Congressional Democrats on Friday took legal action to get hold of all of U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller's evidence from his inquiry into Russian meddling in the 2016 election, as the probe's findings hit President Donald Trump's poll ratings. (Link to Mueller report - https://graphics.reuters.com/USA-TRUMP-RUSSIA/010091HX27V/report.pdf) The number of Americans who approve of Trump dropped by 3 percentage points to the lowest level of the year following the release of a redacted version of Mueller's report on Thursday, according to a Reuters/Ipsos online opinion poll. Mueller did not establish that the Trump campaign coordinated with Russians but did find “multiple acts by the President that were capable of exerting undue influence over law enforcement investigations.” While Mueller ultimately decided not to charge Trump with a crime such as obstruction of justice, he also said that the investigation did not exonerate the president, either. U.S. House of Representatives Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler, a Democrat, issued a subpoena to the Justice Department to hand over the full Mueller report and other relevant evidence by May 1. "My committee needs and is entitled to the full version of the report and the underlying evidence consistent with past practice. The redactions appear to be significant. We have so far seen none of the actual evidence that the Special Counsel developed to make this case," Nadler said in a statement. The report provided extensive details on Trump's efforts to thwart Mueller's investigation, giving Democrats plenty of political ammunition against the Republican president but no consensus on how to use it. The document has blacked out sections to hide details about secret grand jury information, U.S. intelligence gathering and active criminal cases as well as potentially damaging information about peripheral players who were not charged. (Graphic - A closer look at Mueller report redactions: https://tmsnrt.rs/2VSx7HZ) Six top congressional Democrats led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer rejected Attorney General William Barr's offer to give them access to a less-redacted version of the report. In a letter to Barr, they repeated their demand the full report be given to Congress, but said they were open to "a reasonable accommodation." Democratic leaders have played down talk of impeachment of Trump just 18 months before the 2020 presidential election, even as some prominent members of the party's progressive wing, notably U.S. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, promised to push the idea. U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren became the first major contender for the Democratic 2020 presidential nomination to call for the start of impeachment proceedings, saying on Twitter that "the severity of this misconduct" demands it. "To ignore a President’s repeated efforts to obstruct an investigation into his own disloyal behaviour would inflict great and lasting damage on this country," she said. 'CRAZY MUELLER REPORT' Trump, who has repeatedly called the Mueller probe a political witch hunt, lashed out again on Friday. "Statements are made about me by certain people in the Crazy Mueller Report...which are fabricated & totally untrue," Trump wrote on Twitter. He seemed to be referring to former White House counsel Don McGahn who was cited in the report as having annoyed Trump by taking notes of his conversations with the president. "Watch out for people that take so-called “notes,” when the notes never existed until needed." Trump wrote, "it was not necessary for me to respond to statements made in the “Report” about me, some of which are total bullshit & only given to make the other person look good (or me to look bad)." Phone conversations between the president and McGahn in June 2017 were a central part of Mueller's depiction of Trump as trying to derail the Russia inquiry. The report said Trump told McGahn to instruct the Justice Department to fire Mueller. McGahn did not carry out the order. In analysing whether Trump obstructed justice, Mueller revealed details about how the president tried to fire him and limit his investigation, kept details of a June 2016 meeting between senior campaign officials and a Russian under wraps, and possibly dangled a pardon to a former adviser. According to the Reuters/Ipsos poll of 1,005 adults conducted Thursday afternoon to Friday morning, 37 percent of people approve of Trump’s performance in office - down from 40 percent in a similar poll conducted on April 15 and matches the lowest level of the year. The poll has a credibility interval, a measure of precision, of 4 percentage points. Representative Doug Collins, the top Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, said the Democrats' subpoena "is wildly overbroad" and would jeopardize a grand jury's investigations. The Mueller inquiry laid bare what U.S. intelligence agencies have described as a Russian campaign of hacking and propaganda to sow discord in the United States, denigrate 2016 Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and boost Trump. Russia said on Friday that Mueller's report did not contain any evidence that Moscow had meddled. "We, as before, do not accept such allegations," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said. Asked on Friday about Russian interference in 2016, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in Washington that "we will make very clear to them that this is not acceptable behaviour." Trump has tried to cultivate good relations with Russian President Vladimir Putin, and came under heavy criticism in Washington last year for saying after meeting Putin that he accepted his denial of election meddling, over the conclusions of U.S. intelligence agencies. Half a dozen former Trump aides, including former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, were charged by Mueller's office or convicted of crimes during his 22-month-long investigation. The Mueller inquiry spawned a number of other criminal probes by federal prosecutors in New York and elsewhere. OBSTRUCTION One reason it would be difficult to charge Trump is that the Justice Department has a decades-old policy that a sitting president should not be indicted, although the U.S. Constitution is silent on whether a president can face criminal prosecution in court. A paragraph in the report is at the heart of whether Mueller, a former FBI director, intended Congress to pursue further action against Trump. "The conclusion that Congress may apply the obstruction laws to the President's corrupt exercise of the powers of office accords with our constitutional system of checks and balances and the principle that no person is above the law," Mueller wrote. Republican Collins said Democrats had misconstrued that section of the report to suit their anti-Trump agenda. "There seems to be some confusion...This isn’t a matter of legal interpretation; it’s reading comprehension," Collins wrote on Twitter. "The report doesn’t say Congress should investigate obstruction now. It says Congress can make laws about obstruction under Article I powers," Collins said. Nadler told reporters on Thursday that Mueller probably wrote the report with the intent of providing Congress a road map for future action against the president, but the Democratic congressman said it was too early to talk about impeachment. But the House Oversight Committee's Democratic chairman, Elijah Cummings, said impeachment was not ruled out. "A lot of people keep asking about the question of impeachment ... We may very well come to that very soon, but right now let's make sure we understand what Mueller was doing, understand what Barr was doing, and see the report in an unredacted form and all of the underlying documents,” he told MSNBC. Short of attempting impeachment, Democratic lawmakers can use the details of Mueller's report to fuel other inquiries already underway by congressional committees. Only two U.S. presidents have been impeached: Bill Clinton on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice in 1998 and Andrew Johnson in 1868 after firing his secretary of war in the tumultuous aftermath of the American Civil War. Both were acquitted by the Senate and stayed in office. In 1974, a House committee approved articles of impeachment against President Richard Nixon over the Watergate scandal but he resigned before the full House voted on impeachment. -- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-20
  11. Likely the very reason trump is likely to stay in power until the 2020 elections
  12. I had heard Avicii’s dance mixes but (due to my age) never heard the name until I watched an impressive documentary about him a couple years ago and then I made the connection. According to the documentary he was a clean, cut young man that was thrown into stardom at such a young, innocent age. Definitely his manager took advantage of Avicii by booking all those concerts nonstop. Sad.
  13. No problem, just get some corporation to fund it in return for calling it after the corporation. No longer Notre Dame, but <insert corporation name> cathedral. sarcasm alert for the humour bereft.
  14. There is nothing new in this post and there will be nothing new in any post. The old regime rules and will always rule. Why is anyone surprised? Contrived Democracy is the term. It has never been different in Thailand. Not ever. Unlike US. A recent contrived event. But the same formula. Who ever would have thought that Thailand could teach US how to suck eggs.
  15. You carry on with personal attacks against forum rules; one last time desist from the behaviour. I suggest to you posts by you removed by the Mods are because they contravene forum rules, so how about being cognisant of that fact, rather than blaming me. Perhaps you can provide links to back up your claim the conflict in the deep South is primarily motivated by Islamists. the rest of your assumptions are nonsense e.g. not once have I claimed the Thai military are training insurgency members, providing them with cash and so on. On the other hand it has been documented the security forces and insurgents do talk via back channels which is usual in such situations. If you wish to again reply, it should assist you to read analysis of the conflict by a member of the Thai military and others before posting, albeit some a bit dated. http://www.defence.gov.au/ADC/Publications/Shedden/2012/SheddenPapers12_120306_ConflictinThailand_Nurakkate.pdf https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/05/the-strange-thai-insurgents-who-like-sorcery-and-get-high-on-cough-syrup/275614/ https://www.refworld.org/pdfid/50c71dd512.pdf https://asiafoundation.org/resources/pdfs/TAFThailandSouthernReport2010.pdf
  16. Like minds travel in the same gutter! 555
  17. To continue: Thailand Live Saturday 20 Apr 2019 https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096081-thailand-live-saturday-20-apr-2019/
  18. More illegal immigrants, more destruction of British values. I could go on
  19. I wonder in the future if someone named Dick will appear.
  20. Do not miss TOM GREEN with special guest STEPHEN K AMOS at the Lancaster Hotel on Saturday, 20th April. Act fast! VIP tickets are already sold out, but standard tickets (1500 THB) are still available for purchase at: https://www.ticketflap.com/tomgreen-bkk19
  21. It is easy. Take a leaf out of Laos tourist plans. Welcoming at the border or airport. Minimal police strutting around. Immigration officials welcome you Get the soldiers back in the barracks. Get rid of the smog that is everywhere. Get rid of traffic congestion and grid lock in the cities. Make it affordable to come here. Tell Chinese and Indian tourists how to act civilized. Tell them not to block the street and fail to let someone pass when they crowd off the bus. Clean up the beaches, the streets..... Not going to happen is it?
  22. Sooooo, where did the light come from? I refuse to believe that matter came from nothing. PS I know the light comes from stars, but where did the matter that makes stars come from?
  23. I have no idea how what you are claiming in your first paragraph is relevant to what I wrote, and I'd love to see Trump "leave" one way or another and let Pence take over. Wouldn't be long before the Trump haters were wishing they hadn't got rid of him.
  24. "immigration "rules" can change overnight,making an investment in those countries the ultimate gamble." Well said.
  1. Load more activity