BANGKOK 26 May 2019 07:01

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Trump arrives in Japan for ceremonial visit as trade tensions loom By Jeff Mason U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump arrive aboard Air Force One at Tokyo Haneda Airport in Tokyo, Japan May 25, 2019. REUTERS/Issei Kato TOKYO (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump and his wife, Melania, landed in Japan on Saturday on a largely ceremonial visit meant to showcase strong ties with Tokyo even as trade tensions loom. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1102843-trump-arrives-in-japan-for-ceremonial-visit-as-trade-tensions-loom/
  3. Deep Thought took seven and a half million years to work out it was forty-two. Unfortunately the question turned out to be "what do you get if you multiply six by nine".
  4. An attorney is someone you need to talk to, this is the one I have been using in BKK. Her name is Kantee at 081-985-6320 (and yes she speaks English)
  5. Trump arrives in Japan for ceremonial visit as trade tensions loom By Jeff Mason U.S. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump arrive aboard Air Force One at Tokyo Haneda Airport in Tokyo, Japan May 25, 2019. REUTERS/Issei Kato TOKYO (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump and his wife, Melania, landed in Japan on Saturday on a largely ceremonial visit meant to showcase strong ties with Tokyo even as trade tensions loom. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will treat Trump to an imperial banquet and front row seats at a sumo tournament during the trip, which lasts through Tuesday. The two men share a warm relationship, which the Japanese leader aims to emphasise as Washington mulls tariffs on Japanese auto exports that the Trump administration views as a potential national security threat. The United States is in the middle of an expensive trade war with China in protest against Beijing's treatment of U.S. companies, and tensions with Japan and the European Union over trade are simmering. Trump and Abe are expected to discuss trade during talks on Monday, but officials have played down the possibility of a deal during the visit. Trump will become the first foreign leader to be received by new Japanese Emperor Naruhito since he inherited the throne earlier this month. He made clear during an impromptu news conference on Thursday that he was flattered by the invitation. "Prime Minister Abe said to me, very specifically, 'You are the guest of honour.' There's only one guest of honour ... I'm the guest of honour at the biggest event that they've had in over 200 years," Trump said. "So it's a great thing. And we get along very well with Japan. I get along very well with the Prime Minister." After his arrival, Trump was due to meet with business leaders before retiring. On Sunday, Trump and Abe are expected to play golf and attend a sumo match. On Monday, they will discuss North Korea's nuclear and missile programs in addition to trade. A medium-strength earthquake hit eastern Japan, causing buildings to shake in Tokyo, hours before Trump's arrival. The epicentre was southern Chiba, southeast of the capital, the prefecture where Trump is due to play golf on Sunday. No tsunami warning was issued and there were no immediate reports of damage. (Reporting by Jeff Mason; Additional reporting by Linda Sieg; Editing by Rosalba O'Brien and Nick Macfie) -- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-26 Follow Thaivisa on LINE for breaking Thailand news and visa info
  6. You're overpaying, I gave mine 100kbht plus expenses. The boy's 8 years old now.
  7. Yesterday
  8. Valid points. I found life in the US to be stifling, predictable, joyless, and found that dealing with most of the locals was a bit like relating to cold fish. Especially the women. Unless you are young, and are a Brad Pitt type, you are more invisible than Casper. Not to mention the horribly lifeless malls, the horrific pop culture, the ridiculous expense of nearly everything, especially labor, where the average mechanic, plumber, or journeyman considers himself to deserve the earnings of a psychiatrist. Plus, the proliferation of dreadfully bad reality TV, and the hapless, thin skinned, incompetent president. I am thankful daily to be over here.
  9. That's because there's no risk of getting wet if someone knocks over their drink, unlike with the tables underneath.
  10. Judge blocks some funds Trump sought for U.S.-Mexico border wall FILE PHOTO: Workers replace a section of the border fence between U.S. and Mexico, as seen from Tijuana, Mexico, April 16, 2019. REUTERS/Andres Martinez Casares/File photo The Trump administration must temporarily halt the use of some Defense Department funds for a border wall with Mexico, a judge ruled on Friday, because the money was not specifically authorized by Congress for construction of the barrier. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1102842-judge-blocks-some-funds-trump-sought-for-us-mexico-border-wall/
  11. One must choose where one is happy, or at least most of the time. As you post on a Thailand focused forum, you can expect there will be posters with a different opinion.
  12. You should work until you have at least 100 million. 10m? What do you expect for pocket change?
  13. Judge blocks some funds Trump sought for U.S.-Mexico border wall FILE PHOTO: Workers replace a section of the border fence between U.S. and Mexico, as seen from Tijuana, Mexico, April 16, 2019. REUTERS/Andres Martinez Casares/File photo The Trump administration must temporarily halt the use of some Defense Department funds for a border wall with Mexico, a judge ruled on Friday, because the money was not specifically authorized by Congress for construction of the barrier. The order blocks the use of $1 billion from the Department of Defense in Arizona and Texas, out of $6.7 billion that Trump administration said it planned to direct toward building the wall. "The position that when Congress declines the Executive's request to appropriate funds, the Executive nonetheless may simply find a way to spend those funds 'without Congress' does not square with the fundamental separation of powers principles dating back to the earliest days of our Republic," Haywood Gilliam Jr, a U.S. judge in California, wrote in the order. Separately, Gilliam denied a preliminary injunction against the border wall sought by a coalition of sixteen states, but said they could move forward with their case. Spokespeople for the Department of Homeland Security, Pentagon and the White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Trump has said the wall is needed to address a crisis of drugs and crime flowing across the border into the United States. The ruling adds to Trump's frustrations with federal court orders blocking his initiatives for cutting illegal immigration, a policy area he will focus on in his 2020 re-election bid. In February, after a protracted political battle and a government shutdown, Congress approved $1.38 billion for construction of "primary pedestrian fencing" along the border in southeastern Texas, well short of Trump's demands. To obtain the additional money, Trump declared a national emergency and his administration said it planned to divert $601 million from a Treasury Department forfeiture fund, $2.5 billion earmarked for Department of Defense counternarcotics programs and $3.6 billion from military construction projects. The House of Representatives, more than a dozen states and two advocacy groups asked U.S. District Court Judge Haywood Gilliam in Oakland, California to block the transfer of funds to prevent the wall construction. They argue the administration cannot use funds Congress has specifically denied and cannot construct a barrier that was not authorized, nor can the administration work outside the geographic area identified by Congress. "This is a win for our system of checks and balances, the rule of law, and border communities," the American Civil Liberties Union tweeted. The wall funding faced another court challenge on Thursday, in a case brought by the House of Representatives in a federal court in the District of Columbia. The lawmakers have said the diversion of $6.1 billion in Defense Department funds violates the separation of powers doctrine laid out in the U.S. Constitution. (Reporting by Tom Hals in Wilmington, Delaware; Additional reporting by Makini Brice; Editing by Noeleen Walder and Grant McCool) -- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-26 Follow Thaivisa on LINE for breaking Thailand news and visa info
  14. Those tires are in great condition. Use them, and enjoy them.
  15. Have you any thoughts on the thread to share...or you just do the safe thing and take shots at other posters...
  16. This is a great point and what many Thai fail to understand about the country. Thais try to create these isolated luxury experiences in a country that is largely the opposite of luxurious. Poor value examples - Sat in a luxury car being driven on horrific roads, often stuck in traffic, driven by drivers just off the farm who drive the cars like they drive their motorcys. Poor value. Luxury Bangkok mall which never carries the latest products and carries what it does at prices far more expensive than the latest products in developed countries. Step outside onto unstable pavements that move when you walk, strewn with rotting rubbish and cockroaches and rats. Poor value. Build luxury home anywhere in the country but in immediate vicinity locals are burning rubbish, playing loud music (up in Issan, for example), electricity service is sometimes inconsistent, sewage smells often permeate the area, the workmanship is usually poor requiring too-frequent fixes by workers that are no more skilled than the average (which is low). Poor value.
  17. He was banned from participation in politics and representation as a member of FFP, as a political move on the part of the goons, who know how popular he will be. This represents total defiance of the hapless army. It does not seem to matter now. The army got it's wish granted, by their bought and paid for cronies: After that, Mr Chai asked the House secretary-general to read the order of the Constitutional Court for Mr Thanathorn to stop performing his MP duties until the court delivers a ruling. Earlier, the Earlier, the EC asked the court to decide whether Mr Thanathorn was qualified when he applied to run as an because he was holding shares in a media company, a ground for disqualification. It also asked the court to suspend him from performing his MP duties until the ruling is made. The court agreed and Mr Thanathorn now has 15 days to submit a defence. After the order was read, Mr Thanathorn walked up to a microphone amid protests. Mr Chai explained that although he was already an MP, he did not have the right to speak at this stage. Mr Thanathorn finally managed to speak. It turned out he simply asked the acting speaker for permission to leave, saying he would stop performing his duty until the court delivered its ruling. Future Forward MPs and those from the anti-regime alliance to which FFP belongs gave him an extended standing ovation as he walked out even as Mr Chai tried to stop them, saying the venue was not a "theatre". Outside the auditorium, Mr Thanathorn told reporters that being an MP doesn’t involve only parliamentary work. “I’ll work outside by talking more to people to learn about their problems and convey them to our fellow MPs,” he said.
  18. He had the op in Thailand,about 600,000 12000 gbp. Mobi got it wrong tho,he could have gone back to the UK and had the op for free,its what you tell 'em,but he had family here in Thailand ,leaving them. A great believer in marriage,he tried it around 6 times,liked the pop too,but changed. Yes Thailand for insurance,they like ripping farangs off, all the above you mention for around 3/500 baht,consutants fee too India frightened Mobi for the fact of waking up in a strange land,lots of people go there for treatment to escape the mind boggling charges of Thailand,me inc. Come back Mobi,all forgiven,really hope it is not the end of him,really do That op you want around 1000 gbp,Christ knows in Thailand's for profit private hospitals where most farangs end up Heart Valve Replacement Surgery by Desun Hospital And Heart InstituteLocation: Desun More, EM Bypass 2 hours away 5000 baht return Rs. 200000.00 Some dearer,some cheaper,this place likened to a conveyor belt,they do that many
  19. My bad...for spreading misinformation. I rarely shop soft drinks and would not know, or care, one from another. One thing i do actively avoid is high fructose corn syrup, usually found in soft drinks in USA, and also used in many other food products, for the sweet taste. Mexicans living in the USA will not take the common Coke which has the corn syrup but will special order Mexican made Coke, cane sugar only. Certainly a different taste and many claims against the fructose for health reasons.
  20. The Thailand "Police i lert u" app may be useful if you come across a road accident or need an ambulance. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arunsawad.policeilu&hl=en The latest version has English option, you can send photos and GPS location. I've never had cause to use it, but as I said, it may be of use.
  21. Russia must release detained Ukrainian sailors - maritime tribunal FILE PHOTO: Seized Ukrainian ships are seen anchored in the port of Kerch, Crimea, Nov. 26, 2018. REUTERS/Pavel Rebrov/File Photo FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Moscow must release 24 sailors who were aboard three Ukrainian vessels it intercepted in November as they crossed a strait between Russian-annexed Crimea and southern Russia, an international maritime tribunal said on Saturday. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1102841-russia-must-release-detained-ukrainian-sailors-maritime-tribunal/
  22. For people like you I hope you will get Boris. And you can see him fail and you can see the UK fail. But I guess you will still blame the others. Enjoy the ride.
  23. Russia must release detained Ukrainian sailors - maritime tribunal FILE PHOTO: Seized Ukrainian ships are seen anchored in the port of Kerch, Crimea, Nov. 26, 2018. REUTERS/Pavel Rebrov/File Photo FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Moscow must release 24 sailors who were aboard three Ukrainian vessels it intercepted in November as they crossed a strait between Russian-annexed Crimea and southern Russia, an international maritime tribunal said on Saturday. The Russian navy had captured the Ukrainian sailors and their vessels in the Kerch Strait, which links the Black and Azov seas, on Nov. 25, 2018 after opening fire on them. The Hamburg-based International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS) said Russia had to release the sailors and vessels immediately and both nations should refrain from taking any action which might aggravate the dispute. "The Tribunal notes that any action affecting the immunity of warships is capable of causing serious harm to the dignity and sovereignty of a state and has the potential to undermine its national security," ITLOS President Jin-Hyun Paik said. Ukraine has already demanded the sailors' release and the return of the impounded vessels, yet Moscow has not heeded the request or similar calls by the EU. Russia's foreign ministry said on Saturday it had not participated in the hearings, adding it intends to defend its point of view that the arbitration lacked the jurisdiction to consider the Kerch incident. The ITLOS was established to settle maritime disputes by the 1982 U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea, of which both Ukraine and Russia are signatories. But it has no means of enforcing its decisions. A bilateral treaty gives both Russia and Ukraine the right to use the Sea of Azov, which lies between them and is linked by the narrow Kerch Strait to the Black Sea. Yet tension has risen since Russia annexed Crimea, with both countries complaining about shipping delays and harassment. Russia, which annexed Crimea in 2014 and built a road bridge linking it to southern Russia straddling the Kerch Strait, has vowed never to give Crimea back to Ukraine. It accuses Kiev of staging a provocation in the Kerch Strait and its sailors of crossing illegally into Russian waters. Russia's FSB security service said it had been forced to act in November because the ships - two small Ukrainian armoured artillery vessels and a tug boat - had illegally entered its territorial waters. "The Tribunal's order is a clear signal to Russia that it cannot violate international law with impunity," Ukraine Deputy Foreign Minister Olena Zerkal said on Facebook, adding she expected Russia to comply with the order quickly. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said if Russia releases the Ukrainian sailors and ships it could be the first signal from the Russian leadership of its readiness to end the conflict with Ukraine. (Reporting by Christoph Steitz in Frankfurt; Additional reporting by Natalia Zinets in Kiev and Polina Devitt in Moscow; Editing by David Holmes) -- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-26 Follow Thaivisa on LINE for breaking Thailand news and visa info
  24. Nothing like some gigantic generalizations to solidify your position I guess. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  25. I'm guessing urine and stool specimens...if you pass this immigration test...a micro chip under the skin...no more need for 90 day reporting...you will be under constant surveillance...
  26. Yoga teacher found alive after 17 days lost in Hawaii forest Amanda Eller, a Hawaiian yoga teacher who went missing in early May, was found alive after getting lost on a popular hiking trail. Conway G. Gittens reports. (Reuters) - Rescuers in Hawaii have found a yoga instructor who went missing for 17 days while hiking in a forest reserve and survived by drinking from streams and eating plants. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1102839-yoga-teacher-found-alive-after-17-days-lost-in-hawaii-forest/
  27. Where in the West have you chosen? After nearly 30 years (crikey, that's half my life) in the Far East (not just Thailand) I don't think I could return to the UK and fit in, too much has changed (as have I).
  1. Load more activity