BANGKOK 24 April 2019 03:58

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. New pacts expected to boost Asean GDP growth By Phuwit Limviphuwat The Nation Phuket Asean SecretaryGeneral Lim Jock Hoi, left, and acting Commerce Minister Chutima Bunyapraphasara, right, at the signing ceremony of the Asean Trade in Services Agreement and the Fourth Protocol to Amend the Asean Comprehensive Investment Agreement. THE SIGNING of two agreements to liberalise investment and services trade within Asean was the highlight of the 25th Asean Economic Ministers’ Retreat (AEMR), which concluded yesterday. Full tory: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096704-new-pacts-expected-to-boost-asean-gdp-growth/
  3. New pacts expected to boost Asean GDP growth By Phuwit Limviphuwat The Nation Phuket Asean SecretaryGeneral Lim Jock Hoi, left, and acting Commerce Minister Chutima Bunyapraphasara, right, at the signing ceremony of the Asean Trade in Services Agreement and the Fourth Protocol to Amend the Asean Comprehensive Investment Agreement. THE SIGNING of two agreements to liberalise investment and services trade within Asean was the highlight of the 25th Asean Economic Ministers’ Retreat (AEMR), which concluded yesterday. With the signing of these two agreements, Asean’s GDP is expected to increase by five per cent in the next five years, said Asean secretary-general Lim Jock Hoi. The first agreement, the Asean Trade in Services Agreement [ATISA], aims to raise the standards and efficiency of services regulations within the region. This will, in turn, expand opportunities for services trade and investments for the region’s private sector. “The role of services trade in the Asean economy is becoming more and more important,” acting Commerce Minister Chutima Bunyapraphasara said yesterday during the ATISA signing ceremony. “Asean export of services has more than tripled from US$113.4 billion (Bt3.62 trillion) in 2005 to $360.5 billion (Bt11.51 trillion) in 2017. However, intra-Asean share of trade in services has remained stable over the years,” she stated. Hence, the ATISA is designed to address this issue. The ATISA will replace the current Asean Framework Agreement on Services (AFAS), which has been in use since 1995. The new agreement lays out the principles that will help boost trade in services, such as requiring equal treatment of foreign and local businesses. Another principle of the ATISA is to promote transparency and efficiency in services trade regulations and support the growth of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs). Furthermore, the ATISA also requires member countries to publicise their trade and services regulations. The ATISA will come into effect 180 days after the signing ceremony. Asean members are given five years to consider which regulations on services trade they would like to preserve after the agreement is effective. “This agreement will allow Thai investors to find further opportunities to invest in sectors such as healthcare, tourism and hospitality within Asean,” Chutima said. The second agreement, the Fourth Protocol to Amend the Asean Comprehensive Investment Agreement [ACIA], is aimed at making the region more attractive for investors through streamlining of regulations. It will be binding on the ACIA member countries to not establish regulations that may unnecessarily cause obstacles for investors in the region. For example, governments will be prohibited from requiring investors from Asean member countries to deliver their products only to certain markets. New Thai strategy The ATISA is in line with Thailand’s strategy to boost services trade to make up for weakening export figures. Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak had instructed the Commerce Ministry earlier this month to strengthen Thailand’s services sector for strong tourism figures. Largely due to the ongoing US-China trade war and the weakening global economic condition, Thai exports in March contracted 4.9 per cent year on year, leading to a 1.6 per cent contraction in exports in the first quarter of this year compared to the same period last year, according to the Commerce Ministry. Observers see long-term benefits from these two new agreements, stressing the growing importance of services trade and investments in the region. “Since the global financial crisis, global growth in goods trade, which is fuelled by the manufacturing industry, has been slowing, and the Asia Pacific region is by no means immune to this trend,” Andy Mason, lead economist for East Asia and Pacific Region of the World Bank, said. To address this problem, Thailand will need to increase the productivity of its services sector as well as promote more trade in services, Mason suggested. “Thailand should enter into multilateral trade deals and commit itself to liberalising trade in services,” said Sudhir Shetty, chief economist for the East Asia and Pacific Region at the World Bank. Deunden Nikomborirak, research director in economic governance at the Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI), said: “In the Asean region, up to 90 per cent of total foreign investment goes to the services sector. However, Thailand’s policies still lean heavily towards manufacturing, neglecting the services sector. Thailand contributes up to 18 per cent of total Asean GDP, but only attracts 2.9 per cent of total foreign investment in the Asean region. “Therefore, Thailand is heavily underperforming and will benefit from liberalising regulations in the services sector,” she said. Key financial institutions such as the Bank of Thailand (BOT) and the National and Social Economic Development Council both stated earlier this year that Thailand should push for further private investment to drive growth amid weakening exports. “From now on, the growth engine of the country will be powered by tourism and investments,” said BOT Governor Veerathai Santiprabhob. Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/business/30368234 -- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-24
  4. 3-3-3 is a term used (IMHO by jealous old Expats) in the Philippines to describe the Koreans & stands for... 3 inches, 3 minutes, 3,000 Pesos
  5. LOl it isn't happening. Your buddy Nancy has said so. Time to turn the page my friend.
  6. It would be a whole different operation later as the fractures would have begun to knit together and need to be rebroken. Get it done now.
  7. Only certified personnel can prescribe cannabis drugs By PUANGCHOMPOO PRASERT THE NATION File photo ONLY certified alternative-medicine practitioners with special training will be permitted to prepare and prescribe cannabis-containing medicines to patients, regulatory authorities insist. Preparations and prescriptions must be done at hospitals only. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096703-only-certified-personnel-can-prescribe-cannabis-drugs/
  8. can i thank you for your empowering lecture i am beside myself with joy and enlightenment My actual quote was sarcasm but it seems to have touched a thaier than thai nerve I am not talking about shouting at immigration ( I can mostly avoid them) more concerning are the annoying thais in general, yes i find them annoying thats why i avoid them as much as possible , i suspect i am not alone in that i live here for my reasons not to enjoy thai society And no i dont go around shouting at them but i am sure i would if i was left alone with dealing with them for any length of time I have selected educated thai friends in Bangkok but the majority especially country people "baan nok" are are IMHO best avoided
  9. Only certified personnel can prescribe cannabis drugs By PUANGCHOMPOO PRASERT THE NATION File photo ONLY certified alternative-medicine practitioners with special training will be permitted to prepare and prescribe cannabis-containing medicines to patients, regulatory authorities insist. Preparations and prescriptions must be done at hospitals only. Dr Pramote Stienrut, deputy director-general of the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine, said last Thursday that the first round of the two-day training would be provided on April 29 and 30. At present, there are 16 approved formulas of cannabis-containing medicines in Thailand. “These medicines have already established clear proof of their effectiveness and that they are rooted in local wisdom,” he said. Pramote said that if alternative-medicine practitioners wish to prepare other cannabis-containing medicinal formulas, they must first seek prior approval from his department. Records of Thai traditional medicines list 96 formulas with the herb. But further research or solutions to legal constraints are required for 80 of them. “So if anyone wishes to work on any of these 80 formulas, we need to review their applications first. We need to make sure that they are safe and are fully in line with the knowledge of Thai traditional medicine before granting an approval,” Pramote said. Once endorsed as being Thai traditional medicine, such formulas have the potential for widespread use if research is conducted on them based on scientific procedures. Thailand has only recently legalised medical marijuana and it is still classified under law as an illegal narcotic. Anyone who possesses or uses “pot” is liable to a jail term. Early this month, an official at the Kwan Khao Foundation was arrested for marijuana possession. The case caused a public uproar as the foundation, led by prominent folk-remedy doctor Decha Siriphat, has a reputation for helping people. Decha has had about 5,000 patients and won acceptance from many respectable institutes. Cannabis conditions for folk doctors TOTAL number of folk-remedy doctors in Thailand: 59,414 What are the requirements for them to qualify to legally administer medical marijuana? 1. Being certified as folk-remedy doctors by the Public Health Ministry; 2. Having received special training in medical-marijuana use; 3. Having received licences from the Food and Drug Administration; 4. That they prepare and dispense only the approved 16 traditional formulas; and 5. That they seek permission if they wish to prepare and dispense other formulas. Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368231 -- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-24
  10. Diclofenic (DIFELENE here)is strong and it works but take it only with a full meal and not just a salad. 30 baht for 10 its dirt cheap to
  11. Natural killer cells ‘successful’ in deterring cancer relapse By THE NATION Doctors yesterday announce the possibility of natural killer cells from donors helping protect former leukaemia patients from cancer. THAI researchers have announced the first successful step towards the prevention of cancer relapsing in high-risk leukaemia patients. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096702-natural-killer-cells-‘successful’-in-deterring-cancer-relapse/
  12. Natural killer cells ‘successful’ in deterring cancer relapse By THE NATION Doctors yesterday announce the possibility of natural killer cells from donors helping protect former leukaemia patients from cancer. THAI researchers have announced the first successful step towards the prevention of cancer relapsing in high-risk leukaemia patients. The first patient in their research project, which involves deploying natural killer cells, has demonstrated a clear, satisfactory response. “One year after receiving the natural killer cells from her elder sister, there is no sign of a cancer relapse in her,” Asst Professor Dr Udomsak Bunworasate from Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Medicine said yesterday. Launched last year, the project also had four other participants, whose health conditions are being monitored. The latest participant was given natural killer cells two months ago. Dr Koramit Suppipat, who heads the research on cell therapy for cancer patients at the faculty, explained that natural killer cells are present in human bodies and were crucial to the immune system. “They normally account for between five and 10 per cent of white blood cells,” he said, “These cells have the ability to detect and destroy abnormal cells before they form tumours and cancer.” He said his institute had in 2014 initiated the project to research and develop a way to treat leukaemia among high-risk groups with natural killer cells, thanks to funding from the Thailand Centre of Excellence for Life Science (TCELS). Last year, with more funds from other units, his team could start the pilot research project to conduct clinical trials using natural killer cells from donors on a high-risk group of acute myeloid leukaemia patients. Udomsak said all five patients in the project faced the prospects of cancer relapsing, after being treated and cured, and did not respond positively to standard treatment choices – not even bone-marrow transplantation - anymore. Koramit said to date his institute had successfully maintained the level of natural killer cells for the treatments of patients in the project. “This project will continue,” he said. Professor Dr Suttipong Wacharasindhu, dean of the Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Medicine, said cancer was the biggest killer in Thailand since 1999. “This is the reason why we are committed to developing comprehensive cancer treatments,” he said. TCELS deputy director Sirasak Teparkum said more than 10,000 Thais died of cancer each year. “It should be noted that cancer can relapse for people who have already recovered from cancer,” he said. According to him, TCELS has constantly supported research that seeks to develop new treatment methods for cancer and also various other diseases. “Now, we are working with more than 200 researchers,” Sirasak said. Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368233 -- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-24
  13. If you have not checked to see your 3 dashcams are actually functioning OK, you may be in for a surprise if somethings happens and you try to get the video file. In some ways I agree with you, there's no reason to spend huge $$$ on dash cams, there are many that are reliable and functional under $100. I'm a trucker in the US and have used dashcams for the last 600,000 miles or so. I do get some free cams from the manufacturers and distributors to use, review, or abuse. I WOULD NOT willingly buy a battery equipped cam at this point. (They're free to send me free ones if they want) I have a Yi, I like it, have used it in Thailand for a few trips in rental cars. The batteries do die at some point and the camera may seem to be functioning ok until you go to check that important file you need of the motorbike running a stop sign and into you. (THe battery or capacitor are solely there to allow the last file to be saved as the power is cut off) A cheaper camera that is worth looking into is the Blueskysea B1W, $45 USD or so. Small, has smartphone app, and a capacitor. The only thing I didn't like was the recorded audio on the earliest production batch, which may have been fixed, but the VIDEO was good for the $$$.
  14. I thought we were poor.. stale and slow on the ball and lacked penetration.. Some times ali just needs a jolt .. but the off tbe cuff almost balletic stuff suppose lets him of ,,,,gettinn to be JUST. V disciplined by brighton, at what they did they were v good ..and ALMOST deserved a point..borin shit overall thou. suppose we deserved the win just for endevour. always felt it gonna by won by a big single moment.
  15. I don't agree.There are good reasons to go ahead even realizing what the senate Quislings will do.Sometimes what seems the safe thing to do is actually the stupidest. Also consider this. Have you noticed that 45 fans are trying very hard to suggest attempting impeachment will backfire and put on an act hoping the democrats will act? That should be a strong clue that the backfire theory ain't necessarily so. "The Mueller Report Was My Tipping Point I was a Trump transition staffer, and I’ve seen enough. It’s time for impeachment." https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/04/gop-staffer-advocates-trumps-impeachment/587785/ Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  16. I am recovering right now from an ankle rolled running about 10 days ago. I did apply Voltaren regularly the first few days but my sense is an ibuprofen 400 daily helped more. I would stay away from diclofenac if possible, stuff's hell on the stomach. Meloxicam (Mobic tablets) are very good for arthritic inflammation - again handle with care.
  17. Hey England can you just lose Donald and do all of us a favor?anyway very sorry you are subjected to this mans visit hopefully he is just a temp
  18. I have to admit moving anywhere at 90 without any support structure is problematic. But what I do think you are increasingly seeing among the long stay expats is what I like to think of as 'Thailand Fatigue' You suspend disbelief when you first live there, for lots of the craziness, the bureaucratic crap, then it's one last thing that tips you over the edge, especially the older you get That last straw can be many many things for different people, but I've seen it more than once
  19. There are many good reasons that a person might not recommend Thailand to future retired expats but they still do stay here. I don't see a contradiction at all. Once you're settled hear it can be very difficult to leave especially if you've been here for many years. But that doesn't mean all such people would suggest the same path to others considering the changed situation here. Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  20. New e-Tree app enables online registration for trade in teak, rosewood trees grown on private land By The Nation Forbidden trees like teak and rosewood grown on private plots can now be registered online for trade purposes, thanks to a new application that became available to the public on Monday. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096701-new-e-tree-app-enables-online-registration-for-trade-in-teak-rosewood-trees-grown-on-private-land/
  21. New e-Tree app enables online registration for trade in teak, rosewood trees grown on private land By The Nation Forbidden trees like teak and rosewood grown on private plots can now be registered online for trade purposes, thanks to a new application that became available to the public on Monday. The Royal Forestry Department (RFD) has introduced the e-Tree app, which will allow owners of trees once prohibited for trading under dated forest law to register trees grown on their land, so that they can put them on sale from now on. Trees such as teak and rosewood, among several others, were previously prohibited from being felled and traded in any circumstances without permission from the department, in order to prevent the “laundering” of trees that grow naturally in state forests. However, the process was criticised for being too complicated and out of date, thus impeding the development of timber management around the country. The aged law was therefore amended under the military-led government as part of timber supply-chain reform. Thailand has been looking to such reform in the hope that it could help improve the whole timber management system to a higher standard, and especially in line with international standards, including the European Union-introduced FLEGT (Forest Law Enforcement Governance and Trade) framework. The Kingdom is currently in negotiations about joining the FLEGT framework. The law revision was published in the Royal Gazette on April 16, resulting in the amendment coming into effect. RFD chief Athapol Charoenshunsa said the new app would benefit tree owners, while the state would gain a large amount data about tree stocks and timber in the country, facilitating good governance in timber management from now on. He invited tree owners nationwide to access the app and register their stocks. An emergency number is also available at 1310, extension 3, in case owners need to consult officials about registration or any legal complications, he added. Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368240 -- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-24
  22. The dems won’t be so foolish to impeach without some hope of success in the senate but with the republicans so terrified of Donald it won’t happen but they will continue to investigat Donald and his family exposing more and more of his sketchy business dealings and don’t worry there are plenty of issues to discuss around the dinner table Donald has provided a rich smorgasbord of failed policy’s
  23. You don't literally think Michelle Obama is a ladyboy, right?Let's get fact based here. She:s a woman. At the time she married Barack it would not have been possible for them to be legally married if she was a man. Are you now demanding the original marriage certificate? You said you don't like "trump" much. That's kind of hard to believe. Calling Michelle Obama a ladyboy is exactly the kind of thing a core "trump" fan would say. Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  24. That is just a formality... It is No10 and FO who really decide, they hide behind the so called "State Visit Committee"
  25. UPDATE: Khon Kaen school building under scrutiny after wall collapse By KRITMET LOHO THE NATION Concrete debris is scattered over the ground floor of a private school building in Muang Khon Kaen, following a partial collapse during Monday afternoon’s storm that led to a four-year-old pupil’s death. A FOUR-YEAR-OLD girl was killed when the wall of a school building collapsed during heavy rains and strong winds in Khon Kaen province on Monday. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096656-school’s-construction-does-not-match-approved-plan-where-young-girl-killed-by-collapsed-wall-says-governor/?do=findComment&comment=14072698
  1. Load more activity