All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Hi, I know Berkeley School can offer a 50% discount on tuition fees if you register your child under their foreign passport for certain nationalities. I have also seen comments on here on older threads that some other International schools may also offer similar discounts. Does anybody know of other Schools in Bangkok that do/might?
  3. Better to cut it up and don't get a new one. Use QR codes for payments and cardless withdrawal for cash.
  4. Older Western women from the UK are heading to The Gambia, Kenya, Tunisia etc and it ain't for the beaches.
  5. Reality can bite. "Will hydrogen overtake batteries in the race for zero-emission cars?", by Jasper Jolly Feb. 13, 2024 https://www.theguardian.com/business/ Batteries are already the post-petrol choice for almost every manufacturer. Batteries’ domination is likely to be extended as the money pouring into research and infrastructure addresses questions of range and charging times. Compared with that flood of investment, hydrogen is a trickle. Toyota acknowledges that hydrogen in cars has so far “not been successful”, mainly because of the lack of fuel supply, according to its technical chief, Hiroki Nakajima
  6. I don't smoke but I thought cigs were cheap enough in Thailand, not the 12/13 GBP I hear about in the UK. Booze, well Red wine is a better deal in Cambodia. But for accommodation, Thailand wins for variety and value for money, electricity Thailand wins price-wise, Healthcare is Thailand and so are fresh fruits and vegetables.
  7. Post making unsourced, unsubstantiated, trolling and off-topic claims have been removed. See the following forum rules that include: "In factual areas such as news forums and current affairs topics member content that is claimed or portrayed as a fact should be supported by a link to a relevant reputable source." and "10. You will not post troll messages."
  8. Don't really know how you guys get yourselves into these kinds of predicaments. If you want to marry them, tell them straight... I will not follow you, you will live with me! That is it. Stop loving them ffs! 😋 Grow some balls, chaps.
  9. Your Thai sim operator most probably has a special deal you can buy on your thai sim card. Have you turned your mobile on with the thai sim in? Didn't you get any SMS from your thai operator? I remember I did it with DTAC few years ago, it was a good offer and no need to buy a Lao card.
  10. No, it is the law. It translates as having the rights to other's fruits. There is no skirting of the law. The land is 100% owned by a Thai. They just don't have any right to use it after giving a usufruct to someone.
  11. This is probably the rub. Most men are likely sitting there inwardly drooling over the exposed legs and midriffs, but they all lie and say that they don't think like that at all and anyone who does is a pervert. I view as something as basic as acknowledging that we have certain reactions to certain things, so we hide some of them because we like to inhabit (or think we inhabit) a higher intellectual plane where we think more about people's character than their bodies. Something like that anyway. Don't quote me on it. 😬 Could we block out all the animal stuff but retain nudity and pooping in public and still be the same as a species? I think it might be tricky. I assume people didn't care as much in the past, but people also went to public executions for entertainment. 🤷‍♂️
  12. Just because you have a shovel doesn’t mean that you should keep digging.
  13. Did you ever get 'properly' between them, Simon?
  14. Like you I don’t mix with people I know to be anti-semites. On the very few occasions someone I know has come anything remotely at all long the lines of the ‘Jews running the world’ or ‘Soros/any famous Jew” running the world etc I challenge them with reasoned arguments and an explanation were those lies come from. I’ve spent a number of years in the Middle East, on only one occasion did I hear anyone discussing the Israel/Palestine issues, they were drunks at a bar in Abu Dhabi. They were certainly sounding wound up, it I gave them a wide berth. I do not argue with drunks at bars. On the whole I think Israel / Palestine is an issue most people avoid, perhaps because of how emotive it is but maybe also because most people aren’t that interested in anything under the banner ‘politics’. I do think though online information and hate mongering is getting far more traction than is being recognized planting seeds of hatred that will grow. So an individual might frame an antisemitic view as ‘I’ve heard it said there are doubts about’ or ‘I saw a video that suggests’ etc. That to me is evidence of people’s minds being poisoned with this filth, but calling them antisemites is very likely to close the door to the discussion that’s needed to address the dangerous lies they believe. That said, I absolutely believe the people setting up websites, social media accounts and online forums to pump this filth are calculating and manipulative antisemites. Social media and search engines operators, that’s those companies making billions, have a lot to answer on this front; they are allowing their platforms to be a conduit for this hate. Likewise advertisers who enable online hate to be monetized. Those business need to be held accountable. I’m not holding my breath.
  15. It's good that interviews are getting under way now under the current government. I have a couple of friends waiting for interviews who are getting very pessimistic about the outlook. One of them is even considering leaving Thailand due to despondency over his application, the remittance tax and some other issues he doesn't like this government for.
  16. What's wrong with lake water? Where do you think tap-water comes from?
  17. So no confirmation of your claim. "The international convention now states that the license used must be in the official language of the country it is used in. hence the need for the IDP.".
  18. For information - my age precludes donation of my body and even if it did not being overweight with hypertension also would have precluded it. I think I'll have to consider putting the lot into her personal a/c as soon as it is transferred from the UK every month and get it put back 2 months before extension of stay. So long as she keeps a tight rein on spending it should work as she is quite trustworthy albeit spends money if she can as any woman does. Preferable of course is to withdraw from my account straight away and not tell the bank I'm dead but if authorities do check and match date and time she could be in a world of grief and that scares her. Side note - does the 400,000 have to be in a bank or could it conceivably be in cash for Immigration?
  19. The most recent data is to 2022: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/datasets/ukresidentsvisitsabroad If you consider Britons traveling to APAC as a market (ie. the choice isn't between Thailand and Benidorm this year), then before the pandemic, about 8-9% of Britons going on holiday/visiting Asia were picking Thailand. In 2021, that dipped to 3%, and it looks like India benefited from that (though India travel will be a mix of holidays, a lot of family visits and business reconnections) and in 2022, it went back up to 8%. If I strip out India and Pakistan, then in 2022, Thailand attracted 18% of British visitors to APAC, compared to 13-15% prepandemic. Non-HK China has collapsed; 16% before pandemic and 3% in 2022; 14% in 2021. Other Asia (Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam etc) went from 34% to 48-51%, and that seems to be at the expense of China, and, to a lesser degree, Japan and Hong Kong. Countries in this selection are Hong Kong (China) Other China India Japan Pakistan Sri Lanka Thailand Other Asia Australia New Zealand But if I consider a wider range of destinations, then a slight different story. Comparing % share in 2022 to 2019, only the following countries have increased their share. The dominating feature, except for Brazil, is the Package Holiday. Destinations more associated with more independant travel, which is basically Asia, have lost out. I suspect there is a combination of cost; the destinations closer to the UK will be cheaper, but also, post COVID, security, ie having the support of a Tui, Virgin etc to not strand you at an airport etc.. Its more complex that that, because you also have to get into spend, nights stayed etc, which is all in that data source. One take away is that Thailand has to work hard to get the Tour Operators to fill up flights, charters. Something that might be distorting is hotel vacancies; has Thailand become a place where there are more people living out of a Hotel room? The biggest losers, in terms of the holiday share, are USA, Cyprus, France, Ireland, China, Japan, and Other Asia (Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia etc) Thailand is down 0.2%, but Sri Lanka, which has more package tours, is down 0.1%. Interestingly, USA is down 0.8%, Canada is down 0.12%. I put that down to Florida (Disney) being too expensive. The £:$ during that period wasn't too bad. Greece Portugal Spain Turkey Egypt Morocco Barbados Jamaica Other Caribbean Brazil Mexico Fly/cruise (stay onboard)
  20. Dummies tend to say-name call when they run out of argument, but they are typically just projecting. Still waiting for you to provide a few anecdotal examples of the discrimination gays suffer on a regular basis, still nothing? So, you made it up, I thought so. Dummies do a lot of that, don't they fluffy?
  21. The most recent data is to 2022: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/leisureandtourism/datasets/ukresidentsvisitsabroad If you consider Britons traveling to APAC as a market (ie. the choice isn't between Thailand and Benidorm this year), then before the pandemic, about 8-9% of Britons going on holiday/visiting Asia were picking Thailand. In 2021, that dipped to 3%, and it looks like India benefited from that (though India travel will be a mix of holidays, a lot of family visits and business reconnections) and in 2022, it went back up to 8%. If I strip out India and Pakistan, then in 2022, Thailand attracted 18% of British visitors to APAC, compared to 13-15% prepandemic. Non-HK China has collapsed; 16% before pandemic and 3% in 2022; 14% in 2021. Other Asia (Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam etc) went from 34% to 48-51%, and that seems to be at the expense of China, and, to a lesser degree, Japan and Hong Kong. Countries in this selection are Hong Kong (China) Other China India Japan Pakistan Sri Lanka Thailand Other Asia Australia New Zealand But if I consider a wider range of destinations, then a slight different story. Comparing % share in 2022 to 2019, only the following countries have increased their share. The dominating feature, except for Brazil, is the Package Holiday. Destinations more associated with more independant travel, which is basically Asia, have lost out. I suspect there is a combination of cost; the destinations closer to the UK will be cheaper, but also, post COVID, security, ie having the support of a Tui, Virgin etc to not strand you at an airport etc.. Its more complex that that, because you also have to get into spend, nights stayed etc, which is all in that data source. One take away is that Thailand has to work hard to get the Tour Operators to fill up flights, charters. Something that might be distorting is hotel vacancies; has Thailand become a place where there are more people living out of a Hotel room? The biggest losers, in terms of the holiday share, are USA, Cyprus, France, Ireland, China, Japan, and Other Asia (Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia etc) Thailand is down 0.2%, but Sri Lanka, which has more package tours, is down 0.1%. Interestingly, USA is down 0.8%, Canada is down 0.12%. I put that down to Florida (Disney) being too expensive. The £:$ during that period wasn't too bad. Greece Portugal Spain Turkey Egypt Morocco Barbados Jamaica Other Caribbean Brazil Mexico Fly/cruise (stay onboard)
  22. because they're definitely faking it when they're with other people, or they just act differently when alone?
  23. Nobody imagined covid was going to happen. They probably don't think a second one will happen. Countries that might allow one probably don't want to sign any accord saying that they have to do xyz. It would probably be better to think about how to prevent something similar. Some sort of register for medical experiments, similar to nuclear treaties.
  1. Load more activity