All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Amsterdam put a hold on the construction of new hotels primarily because of the disruption caused to the lives of Amsterdammers who live in the centrum, specifically de Wallen, the Red Light District. The problem is primarily caused by UK tourists who can cheaply and easily pop over for the weekend (because weed isn't legal in the UK) and get commode-hanging drunk, too high on weed, mushrooms, X or whatever else they were able to find and walk around the RLD yelling and shouting and singing and throwing things in the canals, <deleted>ting and pissing outside, photographing and harassing the sex workers in the windows. I used to live on O.Z. Voorburgwal twenty years ago, right in the middle of the RLD. On the weekends it was busier but in the past decade the streets have become jam packed with drunken sex and drug tourists who either don't know or don't care that they're standing right in front of people's homes, who are trying to sleep at 2 am. I don't know if they think it's Disneyland or Carnavaal but it's inconsiderate drunks that are causing the problem, not too many tourists.
  3. Actually, a member recently posted a screen shot of the e-visa application site, applying in the UK for the Non Imm O visa based on Thai spouse. At the bottom of the screen was a caveat stating the Non Imm O ME was avilable under certain circumstances, to contact the Embassy, or words to that effect. It was at the bottom of the first page where you enter personal information and the Embassy selection. You'd have to log in and start the process to find it again. The bigger issue and problem as I read it, and I personally know of 3 expats that have done this for years to stay in Thailand. Having been married and then divorced from a Thai spouse, if you still retain an original marriage certificate and copies of the ex spouses Tabien Baan and Thai ID card, that was all the Embassies requested to issue the Non Imm O ME. Rather than impose financial requirements of 400K THB or equivalent for these visa types, they could have simply added the requirement of either a KR2/22 (as Immigration request for 1 year extensions). If your still genuinely married, then the wife could easily obtain an updated KR2/22, scan and email for your submission. That small detail would elimate those who were no longer genuinely married from the process, leaving only the genuine married folk able to apply. I don't think or rationalise like a Thai though! 😉
  4. Pathetic. Remember when they took the 750 Baht "Departure tax" and hid it in the cost of airline tickets (the airline charges you the tax as a part of the ticket price and remits the money to the gov't). Then a couple years ago Anutin whined that "foreigners" were skipping out on their hospital bills and they (the hospitals) had lost around 300 million baht. So they proposed a new tax be added to airline tickets to cover those costs. At a time when they were getting nearly 40 million "arrivals" every year. 10 (TEN) baht per ticket would have easily covered that cost. So what did they do ? Decided to levy a THREE HUNDRED baht tax instead. So instead of collecting 400 million (to offset the 300 mil in unpaid hospital bills) the gov't want to collect 12 BILLION in new revenue. Gee, I wonder where the surplus 11,700,000,000 baht would go ? And now they want ANOTHER 300 baht per ticket because they are getting too many tourists ??? Gee, that's another 12 bil in the kitty. I wonder whose pockets that will go into. I wonder what their Chinese masters will think about that (unless the tax is only applied to tickets NOT coming from mainland China of course).
  5. Any income earned before 1 January 2024 is free of Thai tax, when remitted to Thailand.
  6. I'm not as sure as you are that the driver needed to be insured, licensed or that the vehicle required blinkers... But, just like a road going trike and motorcycle - a seatbelt and bumpers is not a requirement..... you over egged it there. As far as the 'mobility scooter riding recklessly'.... I'd agree... he's certainly abandoned regard for his own safety... I'm in agreement with all posters who suggest the scooter rider was unsafe. I disagree with all posters who are implying the SUV rider has done nothing wrong.... I'm also disagreeing with all posters who are implying that the road the SUV was on has priority, this doesn't appear to be the case.
  7. That I agree with, in other countries its down to how many Kilowatts the motor is that determines registering as a vehicle or not.
  8. never going to happen. the infrastructure upgrades alone would take 10 to 20 years to complete. with the traffic now those upgrades are almost impossible. also the corruption and mafia on the island is so entrenched it will take generations to move on from the mindset.
  9. Yes, another craziness from Immigration. I'm sure we've discussed this before but a few years ago when I was married to a Thai, I didn't see the point of obtaining a MENO every year when I only stayed 2 or 3 weeks each time - especially when London stopped issuing them and I had to go to eithet Savannakhet or HCMC. I then entered on 30 day exempts. On, I think it was the second occasion the I.O. spotted the expired visa in my passport and asked me why I didn't have a visa this time. I was told in no uncertain terms that was not considered as a tourist I would not be allowed in next time without a visa. A few months later my mate did the same with the same result. When I left and had more time, I went to the immigration counter at the airport to discuss the matter. I told them that the RTE London's website stated that a tourist visa was suitable for short family visits. They said that THEY made the rules on entry, not the Embassy. I wish I'd thought about extensions at the time - I would have asked them why, if I was not considered a tourist, I could extend a 30 day exempt for 60 days based on being married.
  10. A few questions. Does Savannakhet have nice restaurants like Vientianne? What proof do you need to show for 400k being 2 months in the bank account? Bank book? Letter from the bank? Something else?
  11. If governments choose to levy electricity they will. i very much doubt they will levy electricity I produce Even if somehow electricity was taxed to the point where ev cost the same per km to run as an ice the ev still has better performance and lower maintenance costs, so what exactly is your problem ?
  12. I didn’t read any further than this Jeff, because I have never, ever said that antisemitism was a crime; in fact, very much to the contrary, I have made comments to several posters on here saying that because they post transparently obvious antisemitic comments, and it is not a crime in Thailand, they should feel free to be honest about it. I may find it offensive, repulsive, disagreeable, or even disgusting, but I begrudgingly give you credit for being open about your right to be antisemitic; it is much more honest than posters on here like Nearleyaman and NanLaew, who have posted blatant antisemitic comments and then try to deny their antisemitism.
  13. YES. they are not registered have no number plate, the same as a bicycle. ...except, unlike bicycles, they are motorised vehicles. are they not? Its a mobility scooter and classed as a medical-device.... just like an electric wheel chair - its not illegal to take one on the road when there is no pavement. That said - looking at the video this 'mobility scooter' was travelling at speed... thus, it could be argued that it was just a three-wheeled scooter. Thailand legislation has not matured enough to specify legality in these situations.
  14. "The SUV driver was still reckless and driving dangerously. " Maybe so but the bike rider was also reckless and driving dangerously by the fact that he was on a unlicensed, non-insured vehicle with no safety features such as seat belts, blinkers, bumpers and so forth. The bike rider should have had a sign located on the back of bike that said "CAUTION, DRIVING WHILE BEING STUPID, DO NOT RESUSCITATE"
  15. I never said that, another EV twist........🤔
  16. Well, here in south Surin I can vouch that there are some junior officers who aren't corrupt, who do their job as best they can, who resist attempts from further up the chain to increase the income from fines, and who are polite and helpful to deal with. And no doubt there are plenty of corrupt ones too (helped along by the fact they are paid a wage that you can barely live on) but I haven't encountered any ... unlike the Immigration crew.
  17. Would it be more fun or would it just be for nefarious purposes? There is already a "darker" forum?
  18. ...as opposed to a loose, all-over-the-place white line? We feeling a bit 'literal' today LL ??? - take a sip of your juice...
  19. To fish and chips nothing other than perhaps recycled vegetable oil . But I understand the question raised is when will Govts. introduce an identified levy ( tax ) on EV charging stations ? And will that extend to the home charger plug in wall socket arrangements people have?
  20. isn't it all about vote-buying? They want people to believe that there's a financial crisis so that they push through the digital wallet scheme and force interest rates down so that people don't pay as much on loans. Something like that. It's straight out of the playbook.
  21. But safe in yours… 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  22. "Abused", why would you, a farangy, refer to a multi-O as being abused....? It is a VISA, to be used as the owner see's fit, an extension is not a visa, and has restrictions. I feel you are looking down your nose at members, first the no money thing, now we are abusing a VISA.........😤
  23. YES. they are not registered have no number plate, the same as a bicycle. ...except, unlike bicycles, they are motorised vehicles. are they not?
  1. Load more activity