All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Educating oneself doesn't mean reading opinion pieces in US newspaper :D :D
  3. My fiancée did it...I'd be amazed if it's not iron clad, she doesn't take prisoners when it comes to her kids!
  4. ‘Moving Backward’: In Xi’s China, Some See an Era of Total Control - The New York Times (nytimes.com) China: Totalitarianism’s Long Shadow | Journal of Democracy How China Is on the Verge of Totalitarianism 2.0 | National Security College (anu.edu.au) Opinion | China isn’t just ‘authoritarian’ any more. It’s scarier. - The Washington Post
  5. Isn't that the point of the police visits? The ensure correct documentation. If a foreigner, renting a car or motorbike, is caught in breach of the law, the rental company will be open to prosecution.
  6. Yes, time is tight. I'm hoping 6 months will give us a good indication whether or not they will cope, and if so we can crack on with a family visa application with a view to them moving to the UK for the next school year. If not plan B is for them to stay in Thailand until the eldest has gone to university and think about moving over with just the youngest, although maybe the eldest will be able to come on a student visa.
  7. Don't forget Myanmar. Xi's expansionism under the guise of economic assistance.
  8. Discussion is fine, specifics are and always have been the "no go" as in, how much with who and where.
  9. Everything after the 1st sentence is wrong. Thailand DID ratify the 1968 Vienna Treaty on May 1st, 2020 Parties to 1968 Vienna Convention The link is to the current United Nations Treaty Database When Thailand ratified the 1968 Treaty they did not cancel their participation in the 1949 Treaty. Parties to 1949 Geneva Convention The link is also to the current United Nations Treaty Database Look it up
  10. Wow, boomers really get wound up over the smallest thing. Some great pics there of old Songkran!
  11. Already ordered one from Lazada, not one of the cheaper models. Thanks for your input!
  12. There are really good schools in MY. Any so-called International school in Thailand (Bangkok according to my experience) is just a rich kids social club. For example KIS >>> there no Toyotas at parking lot. Figures... Bright kids at Thai Universities (not MBA, Design or Arts or such, real science) don't come from posh venues like Regent, Berkley and similar. IMO kids should stay with their parents at least until 18. Heard so many sad stories about kids sent to "foreign land" alone. Even to AU. Should avoid UK - too much of "freedom". Another option to get ironclad education is SG, but financially is quite heavy.
  13. Indeed. With the frond cover from the palms, the sun don't get through too much. So evaporation is minimal. I'll have a good look on Thursday. Ban Dung tomorrow. Weekly shop.
  14. Hi, I know Berkeley School can offer a 50% discount on tuition fees if you register your child under their foreign passport for certain nationalities. I have also seen comments on here on older threads that some other International schools may also offer similar discounts. Does anybody know of other Schools in Bangkok that do/might?
  15. Better to cut it up and don't get a new one. Use QR codes for payments and cardless withdrawal for cash.
  16. Older Western women from the UK are heading to The Gambia, Kenya, Tunisia etc and it ain't for the beaches.
  17. Reality can bite. "Will hydrogen overtake batteries in the race for zero-emission cars?", by Jasper Jolly Feb. 13, 2024 https://www.theguardian.com/business/ Batteries are already the post-petrol choice for almost every manufacturer. Batteries’ domination is likely to be extended as the money pouring into research and infrastructure addresses questions of range and charging times. Compared with that flood of investment, hydrogen is a trickle. Toyota acknowledges that hydrogen in cars has so far “not been successful”, mainly because of the lack of fuel supply, according to its technical chief, Hiroki Nakajima
  18. I don't smoke but I thought cigs were cheap enough in Thailand, not the 12/13 GBP I hear about in the UK. Booze, well Red wine is a better deal in Cambodia. But for accommodation, Thailand wins for variety and value for money, electricity Thailand wins price-wise, Healthcare is Thailand and so are fresh fruits and vegetables.
  19. Post making unsourced, unsubstantiated, trolling and off-topic claims have been removed. See the following forum rules that include: "In factual areas such as news forums and current affairs topics member content that is claimed or portrayed as a fact should be supported by a link to a relevant reputable source." and "10. You will not post troll messages."
  20. Don't really know how you guys get yourselves into these kinds of predicaments. If you want to marry them, tell them straight... I will not follow you, you will live with me! That is it. Stop loving them ffs! 😋 Grow some balls, chaps.
  21. Your Thai sim operator most probably has a special deal you can buy on your thai sim card. Have you turned your mobile on with the thai sim in? Didn't you get any SMS from your thai operator? I remember I did it with DTAC few years ago, it was a good offer and no need to buy a Lao card.
  22. No, it is the law. It translates as having the rights to other's fruits. There is no skirting of the law. The land is 100% owned by a Thai. They just don't have any right to use it after giving a usufruct to someone.
  1. Load more activity