BANGKOK 24 April 2019 07:49

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. New Zealand PM says no intelligence linking Sri Lanka attacks to Christchurch FILE PHOTO: New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern leaves after the Friday prayers at Hagley Park outside Al-Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand March 22, 2019. REUTERS/Jorge Silva/File Photo WELLINGTON (Reuters) - New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Wednesday that her government was not aware of any intelligence suggesting that a devastating attack on Easter Sunday in Sri Lanka was in retaliation for deadly shootings on a mosques in Christchurch. Sri Lanka's junior minister for defence, Ruwan Wijewardene, told parliament on Tuesday that an initial investigation had revealed the bombings on churches and hotels, which killed 321 people, had been carried out in revenge for deadly shootings in two New Zealand mosques on March 15. Security experts and analysts, however, have questioned whether the coordinated bomb attacks could have been planned in such a short period. "We haven't received anything officially nor have we received any intelligence reports that corroborate what has been said in Sri Lanka," Ardern told reporters at a press conference in Auckland. "Sri Lanka will be in the very early stages of its investigations. So we are simply stepping back and allowing them to undertake those, but we have nothing at this stage to corroborate what is being said," she added. Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility for the Sri Lanka attacks on Tuesday and named what it said were seven attackers who carried them out. It gave no further evidence to support its claim of responsibility. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe told a news conference investigators were making progress in identifying the perpetrators and believed there could be some links to IS. Sri Lanka's junior defence minister had earlier told parliament that two Sri Lankan Islamist groups - the National Thawheed Jama'ut and Jammiyathul Millathu Ibrahim - were responsible for the blasts early on Sunday during Easter services and as high-end hotels served breakfast. He did not elaborate on why authorities believed there was a link to the killing of 50 Muslims at mosques in the NewZealand city of Christchurch during Friday prayers in March. A lone gunman carried out those attacks, while livestreaming the massacre on Facebook. (Reporting by Charlotte Greenfield and Praveen Menon; Editing by Cynthia Osterman and Michael Perry) -- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-24
  3. Old stats, but they show how many foreigners are in Thailand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand "Foreign residents in Thailand, according to the 2010 census. It was found that there were 2,581,141 of foreign origins, composing around 3.87 percent of Thailand's population." This stat is interesting. "In 2010 there were 27,357 Westerners living in the northeastern region, 90 percent living with Thai wives, according to research by the College of Population Studies at Chulalongkorn University in 2017." That's a lot of sick buffalo getting treatment in Issan.
  4. I heard that the accounts being removed were fake accounts, possibly created by Trump staffers to inflate his ego.
  5. I see no reason for you to have the first one since you have been married since then and have one for that marriage. Moved the marriage and divorce forum.
  6. I still see a couple of those knocking about my town. Both are, sadly, unregistered otherwise I might be tempted to ask about buying and get myself a restoration project. I had a CBR400RR in UK and it was a lovely bike - I'd guess the 250 is similar in character.
  7. You got some dodgy neighbours there mate. Maybe, if all the neighbours chipped-in to buy a few they wouldn't disappear? Thais like the eggs too if you get a gander. I used to love watching them swimming round the pond with their chicks, attacking the ducks who were trying to mate. Very funny.
  8. From what little attention I've paid to this story, all these folks did is try and drop a permanent anchor NEAR Thai territory. I can't understand how that's illegal, and if so, the DEATH PENALTY?!?
  9. Its not complicated, you buy coffee that has been sitting in a plastic wrapper for months, you buy milk that comes in a plastic bottle, you boil the water in a plastic kettle, after you've made the coffee you choose a cup to drink the coffee out of, and you are worried if its made of plastic, sounds like a futile concern considering all the plastic you can't avoid and that has already been in contact with the ingredients for far longer than the cup will ever be.
  10. Now who is being ridiculous? Try using a dictionary.
  11. The ticked box says ...received the transfer from another country and sell to the bank .....an approximate translation ..
  12. Thank you for your good explanation, although in some instances you quote, I can do the same with 2 monitors on W10. Your ears are very directional in that they can hear from the front or back of your head, left or right. That's why some people have 7.1 sound. I personally go for good stereo spectrum, or if listening to old Beach Boys material, listen in mono as Brian Wilson wanted it. Cheers. As for saving emails on a virtual machine...again WHY? I use MS Mail, backed up to One Drive. Never lost anything I wanted to keep.
  13. NASA probe detects likely 'marsquake' - an interplanetary first By Joey Roulette FILE PHOTO: A life-size model of the spaceship Insight, NASA's first robotic lander dedicated to studying the deep interior of Mars, is shown at Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California, U.S. November 26, 2018. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo (Reuters) - NASA's robotic probe InSight has detected and measured what scientists believe to be a "marsquake," marking the first time a likely seismological tremor has been recorded on another planet, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California reported on Tuesday. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096721-nasa-probe-detects-likely-marsquake-an-interplanetary-first/
  14. Do you there is display scaling feature if everything looks small? I guess you are not using a high resolution display... My surface book comes with 3000x2000 resolution on a 13 inch display and I'm using 2560x1440 reso on 27inch monitor. Full HD is bare minimum, anything less than looks pixelated, not usable and affects productivity. For 10k, only a used laptop with decent spec can be considered.
  15. Well how about that, a town called "The Donald". No doubt on Palestinian land!
  16. most rich people are controlling. like farangs trying to control their thai wife. it's RELATIVE wealth. if you are controlled by money and allowed to be controlled by another because they have money, you are a worthless slave. your choice
  17. Do you think your home country should have rules that favor "ex pats" instead of rules for those who remain home to avail themselves of those services ?
  18. Is someone who owns property here really a tourist? And how often do people buy and sell a property? You are talking some peanuts that you would be subject to in any country as a visitor, except a damned sight more to pay in any Western Country. I live here, pretty much 24/7, my local tax burden is pretty small. I probably pay more to the UK on a single annual flight in and out of the UK , and don't get me started on their sales tax at 20%. You keep complaining yet ignore the simple fact it is quite easy to live in Thailand.
  19. NASA probe detects likely 'marsquake' - an interplanetary first By Joey Roulette FILE PHOTO: A life-size model of the spaceship Insight, NASA's first robotic lander dedicated to studying the deep interior of Mars, is shown at Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California, U.S. November 26, 2018. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo (Reuters) - NASA's robotic probe InSight has detected and measured what scientists believe to be a "marsquake," marking the first time a likely seismological tremor has been recorded on another planet, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California reported on Tuesday. The breakthrough came nearly five months after InSight, the first spacecraft designed specifically to study the deep interior of a distant world, touched down on the surface of Mars to begin its two-year seismological mission on the red planet. The faint rumble characterized by JPL scientists as a likely marsquake, roughly equal to a 2.5 magnitude earthquake, was recorded on April 6 - the lander's 128th Martian day, or sol. It was detected by InSight's French-built seismometer, an instrument sensitive enough to measure a seismic wave just one-half the radius of a hydrogen atom. "We've been collecting background noise up until now, but this first event officially kicks off a new field: Martian seismology," InSight principal investigator Bruce Banerdt said in a news release. Scientists are still examining the data to conclusively determine the precise cause of the signal, but the trembling appeared to have originated from inside the planet, as opposed to being caused by forces above the surface, such as wind. "The high frequency level and broad band is very similar to what we get from a rupture process. So we are very confident that this is a marsquake," Philippe Lognonné, a geophysics and planetary science professor at University Paris Diderot in France and lead researcher for InSight's seismometer, said in an email. Still, a tremor so faint in Southern California would be virtually lost among the dozens of small seismic crackles that occur there every day. "Our informed guesswork is that this a very small event that’s relatively close, maybe from 50 to 100 kilometers away" from the lander, Banerdt told Reuters by telephone. A more distant quake would yield greater information about Mars' interior because seismic waves would "penetrate deeper into the planet before they come back up to the seismometer," he said. NO TECTONIC PLATES The size and duration of the marsquake also fit the profile of some of the thousands of moonquakes detected on the lunar surface between 1969 and 1977 by seismometers installed there by NASA's Apollo missions, said Lori Glaze, planetary science division director at NASA headquarters in Washington. The lunar and Martian surfaces are extremely quiet compared with Earth, which experiences constant low-level seismic noise from oceans and weather as well as quakes that occur along subterranean fault lines created by shifting tectonic plates in the planet's crust. Mars and the moon lack tectonic plates. Their seismic activity is instead driven by a cooling and contracting process that causes stress to build up and become strong enough to rupture the crust. Three other apparent seismic signals were picked up by InSight on March 14, April 10 and April 11 but were even smaller and more ambiguous in origin, leaving scientists less certain they were actual marsquakes. Lognonné said he expected InSight to eventually detect quakes 50 to 100 times larger than the April 6 tremor. (Reporting by Joey Roulette in Orlando, Florida, and Steve Gorman in Los Angeles; Editing by Peter Cooney) -- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-24
  20. maybe you took your christian vows; better or worse, blah blah blah and broke vows to God!!! Lol. i don't care about that, but some do. OK you gave up in a marriage, probably gave up in other things in life, ok ok...it's probably more you than you think. to MARRY (marriage isn't a joke, but serious) someone and you are not super, super, super fluent in their language (or vice versa) is the dumbest thing I ever heard. impossible to be great friends with lack of communication. impossible to work if your minds cannot connect. and no good laws here for idiots that buy a house and then lose 100%. so horrible business decision as well. hopefully no kids are involved. hopefully families aren't destroyed, and the lady can re-marry (likely difficult, or with another farang, then another divorce). farangs are very, very selfish and then it doesn't work. not surprised. marrying a girl 20-years younger who doesn't understand English......really just a lack of education on both sides.
  21. If anything he is jealous of Xi's power, but don't fret, he is well on his way to becoming "Supreme Leader" of Thailand.
  22. According to Google: Symptoms of Xenophobia anxiety. shortness of breath. panic attacks. trembling or shaking. sweating. nausea. accelerated heart rate. I haven't seen any IO's with these symptoms, male or female. At least, not at Jomtien, Si Racha or at the Airports and the border. Seen plenty who get frustrated at an expat's inability to provide the correct paperwork though.
  1. Load more activity