All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. The headline got people to look, the reality is not soon so significant. Actually, the climate consequences are delaying a reverse negative leap second from 2026 to maybe 2029. • https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/melting-polar-ice-may-be-slowing-earth-s-spin-and-messing-with-how-we-measure-time/ar-BB1kHsvu What is happening is that the mass of ice at the poles that melts ends up becoming part of the water bulge of oceans at the equator. Just like a figure skater can slow a spin by extending arms outward, the added mass at the equator means the Earth spins slightly slower. But the changes at Earth's core was causing a speeding up of the rotation. The definition of a day being 24 hours of 60 minutes, each having 60 seconds has already been replaced by using the adoption of atomic clocks in 1967. That change of time measurement revolutionized timekeeping, relying on the precise frequency of atoms for accurate measurements. People who are responsible for posting the time nationally will track the topic, come to an agreement and reset their clocks in the year needed, subsequent radio and communications systems will follow along, and most people will never notice.
  3. Foreign woman criticised for urinating on Bangla Road, Phuket by Petch Petpailin Photo via Facebook/ ศูนย์ข้อมูลภูเก็ต Phuket Info Center A viral video circulating on Thai social media captured a foreign woman, evidently intoxicated, urinating on the footpath of Bangla Road in Phuket on March 26. This incident prompted criticism from netizens directed at both the foreign woman and the Thai government. Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1323576-foreign-woman-criticised-for-urinating-on-bangla-road-phuket/
  4. A viral video circulating on Thai social media captured a foreign woman, evidently intoxicated, urinating on the footpath of Bangla Road in Phuket on March 26. This incident prompted criticism from netizens directed at both the foreign woman and the Thai government. A Thai man shared a video of the foreign woman on Facebook yesterday, March 27. The 56-second video shows the unidentified woman pulling down her panties and urinating near a sign pole. MGR Online reported that it was the Bangla Road sign pole in the Patong sub-district of Katu district in Phuket. The road is a well-known landmark in the province popular for its vibrant nightlife. A foreign man, believed to be her boyfriend, was also present and appeared to be drunk himself and unable to help his companion. Both Thais and foreigners passing by stared at the couple but they appear to be too drunk to care. The Thai man responsible for the video stated that the foreign couple were Japanese. Additionally, his tone conveyed a sense of irony. “Thailand! This is Thailand! Only good foreigners come to Patong, you see. This is Patong! So bad! Quality tourists! Government! Send us more of these tourists! Very good! Bangla don’t have bathroom. Authorities, please build one near Patong Beach!” Quality tourists Thai netizens expressed mixed reactions in the comment section. Many of them criticised the couple for their behaviour and cited potential fines for the act. Some found the video funny and did not cause any serious offence, while others complained to the authorities about the lack of public toilets. “Disgusting!” “There was not much public bathroom, and they are all closed at night. People don’t use bathroom at night?” “It’s good enough that she managed to take her pants off.” “The land of freedom.” “She must face a fine for this.” Many netizens debated the type of tourists Thailand should attract. They urged the government to focus more on quality tourists as crimes committed by foreigners continue to make headlines. “A lot of money comes from foreign tourists. Thai people need to be patient, right?” “Authorities should take action against this kind of foreign tourist. If only bad tourists come to Thailand, how can we attract good tourists to the country?” A Thai netizen criticised the man who filmed the video, citing damage to Phuket’s reputation. The netizen urged the videographer to decide between witnessing the disruption caused by foreign tourists or returning to the pandemic era, potentially risking their job. Thus far, officers from the Patong Police Station and other relevant departments have not stepped forward to address the issue or pursue legal action against the foreign woman. by Petch Petpailin Photo via Facebook/ ศูนย์ข้อมูลภูเก็ต Phuket Info Center Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-29 - Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here. Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe
  5. Well, pay a visit to Danang, Vietnam, and you will see if Aussies are the most upstanding people there!
  6. And what are they about? The OP simply asked about how to get his UK personal mail forwarded or redirected to Thailand. Beyond the fact that he doesn't have a family member who can do this, what difference does knowing what's in the mail make?
  7. This is Thaiger! However, this is not impossible: a German native speaker can migrate to another country and gets the new citizenship there. This is not uncommon, one famous example in history being mining engineer Wilhelm Böing.
  8. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton opened an investigation into Boeing supplier Spirit AeroSystems. https://www.axios.com/2024/03/29/boeing-supplier-spirit-aerosystems-texas-investigation
  9. If you agree with that post you quoted, you need to start studying tax law once again but with a focus on Thai tax rules this time...the post is quite simply, wrong.
  10. Agreed. I attribute this as the result of overthrowing an elected government by military coup. Understand, this does not address if there were valid reasons for charges being brought but rather, the result of the use of a military coup as a means of dealing with an elected government. Yep, one can infer that I think this same thinking can/will be applied to the military coup overthrowing the Yingluck elected government. Bottom line ... up to Thai citizens ... I am just an interested expat retiree residing in Thailand.
  11. Fly with an Islamic airline like Brunei, no booze on them.
  12. While I agree with the gist, I think people are more motivated by immediate feedback than delayed punishment. I'd prefer to see them buy a few of those Dodge Challenger chase cars and pull them over and embarrass the scofflaws. Or maybe add lights and graphics to some of the confiscated super cars, and send some cops to race driving school. Win-win. Put the fear of Buddha into scofflaws and the cops can have fun.
  13. Malaysia changed rules since december, need to apply online to go few days before, similar to europeans visit usa.
  14. Cabinet green lights bills to modify alcohol control law by Mitch Connor Picture courtesy of Sigrun Blix The Cabinet has given initial approval to five proposed bills aiming to modify the current alcohol control law, a move that could potentially lead to extended selling hours and more relaxed advertising rules. This decision has, however, sparked controversy among anti-alcohol advocates. Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1323575-cabinet-green-lights-bills-to-modify-alcohol-control-law/
  15. Indeed, I was disappointed by my Daughter Thai language Primary school exit score somewhere in the lower thirties, until I found out that she was just slightly above national average. While she scored a hundred in English. But 100% Internet English, better than nothing.
  16. BYD SEAL U DM-i available 1st April 2024 https://www.thairath.co.th/news/auto/news/2774190 Haval H6 PHEV Discount 300,000 ! Official price thailand/ (Plug-in Hybrid) : 1,399,000 baht | Pure electric run 201 km. https://autolifethailand.tv/discount-official-price-haval-h6-phev-thailand/ The above are PHEV someone on this forum currently owns the Haval H6 Phev
  17. Now now now it’s that pesky law thingy it kinda gets in the way when ya try to help a con man steal the presidency .Mr Eastman is fortunate he’s in the states were we follow the law in many countries he would have been shot and or imprisoned
  18. Ask Sunak to join EU as soon as possible. Lord Cameron will be delighted 🤗
  19. The Cabinet has given initial approval to five proposed bills aiming to modify the current alcohol control law, a move that could potentially lead to extended selling hours and more relaxed advertising rules. This decision has, however, sparked controversy among anti-alcohol advocates. The legislation was introduced for its first reading in the House on Wednesday, March 27, and received a majority approval, with 389 voting in favour, nine against, and two abstentions. As a result, a special House committee was formed to review the bills before they proceed to their second and third readings. This special committee comprises 42 members, including seven cabinet ministers, 14 representatives of eligible voters, and representatives from various political parties. The bills were initially proposed by Thiraphat Khanawong and Charoen Charoenchai, eligible voters; Taopipho Limjittrakorn, a Move Forward Party MP from Bangkok; Chanin Rungtanakiat, a Pheu Thai Party list-MP; and the Cabinet. The draft proposed by the Cabinet is likely to serve as the primary version for the House committee’s review. Meanwhile, a consortium of advocacy groups campaigning for stricter control over alcohol consumption has voiced its concerns to the House through an open letter. The network is concerned about the potential extension of alcohol selling hours and opposes the sale and consumption of alcohol in various places. It also seeks to maintain restrictions on advertising channels and sales promotions. The open letter was addressed to House Speaker Wan Muhamad Noor Matha and received by Thongchat Rattanawicha, an assistant secretary to Wan, and Chanin. Duangduean Inthanu, representing the anti-alcohol advocacy network, stated that the group sees no necessity for the legislative changes suggested by the bills. Supporters of the bills argue that the proposed changes could stimulate the economy. However, the advocacy network contends that the disadvantages would surpass the benefits of promoting alcoholic beverages, with only alcohol-selling businesses standing to gain. Another representative of the anti-alcohol advocacy network, Santi Chomyong from Ayutthaya, urged the House to prioritise public interest over commercial gains in the face of possible negative impacts of alcohol consumption, reported Bangkok Post. The government has emphasised the need for a balanced approach, allowing more flexibility in alcohol sales to boost the economy and tourism, while simultaneously safeguarding public health. by Mitch Connor Picture courtesy of Sigrun Blix Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-29 - Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here. Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe
  20. IIRC for many years Christianity forbade things such as divorce and abortion. Some sections still do. Interestingly, Islam does not forbid either. Think of how many lives have been made miserable at the behest of man-made strictures in the name of religion. You really think your God wants that? No nonsense about higher purpose, please. There is no higher purpose in a woman having a back-street abortion because she cannot access decent health facilities legally. Scientists work from facts and evidence. They test hypotheses against said evidence. Claiming God created the universe has no facts or evidence to support it, only belief. For all we know, the universe could have been created by a pure mentality who has no interest in us, or went somewhere else. BTW, is your Bible the latest version endorsed by Trump, and how do Christians reconcile his history with their faith? To me, it's Orwell's doublethink writ large.
  21. for gods sake , some people should not be allowed to travel without being accompanied by a responsible adult ! It really isn't rocket science after all. Its been years since we left the european union. there has been plenty of time to familiarise ones self with the rules regarding passport validity, its been mentioned plenty of times in the news already. I suspect this is nothing but more anti "brexit" propaganda by the usual suspects. The wording of the headline confirms this , nobody os barred from anywhere. British passport holders may indeed be considered by EU countries as coming from outside the EU but the emotive phrase "third country nationals" has been carefully chosen by the author of this drivel as it sounds just a little like "third world nationals" Likewise the examples likening them to Venezuelan or Samoans , when they could have used American or Canadian Another piece of pathetic propaganda in my opinion Brexit may not have delivered what was promised, but that is due in no small part to the remainers tasked with implementing it all. on the other hand the world has not stopped turning either and most of the problems facing the UK have existed since long before we cut ties with the EU. Its all down to attitude, people should stop moaning , accept it for what it is, and get on with their lives. In fact most people have , just a few moaning journalists trying to fan the flames of unrest remain
  22. Agreed. US citizen, using the 65,000 per month brought into Thailand Immigration Requirement for the "O" Visa for reason of retirement. As Thailand is my only global resident country, I am and will continue to follow this issue. However, my American Tax filing company advises not to be concerned based on the sources of my retirement income in the USA and the tax treaty. I do note that US citizens are required to report their worldwide income for taxation to the US. Anyway, even transferring, usually 1 million baht, I will not spend any time in stress at this time. Having worked in US income tax system my entire adult life and consulting the Master Tax Guide annually, it is amazing to me that Thailand would try to deal with the American tax system ... it is akin to herding cats with so many variables and to think the individual will be responsible for conforming with the complexities? Non-starter ... as free individuals, most retirees can go elsewhere if the worse happens.
  23. newbee2022

Allergies

Check dust in your accommodation. What about shower water? There are too many sources causing allergies. For me I would check also the fabric of bed sheets and clothes. 100% cotton only. Organic washing detergent and softener. Also check your spices in your food. Most common is MSG causing allergy if you go out for dining.
  1. Load more activity