All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Trump met with the family https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/04/02/trump-ruby-garcia-michigan-murder/
  3. Is there a single comment on this thread that hasn’t largely been said already in interminable threads on Thai RTA ? 💤
  4. Strikes on Iran: Can one demand ‘restraint’ while funding Israel? Biden is calling for ‘de-escalation’ in the Iran-Israel showdown while hurling money at the most unrestrained actor in the equation. United States media outlets have reported confirmation from anonymous US officials that Israel was indeed the source of the latest attacks. For his part, Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani – chairman of this week’s G7 meeting in Capri, Italy – has asserted that the US informed its Group of Seven partners that it had received a “last minute” warning from Israel re: impending drone action in Iran. The action took place amid ubiquitous global calls for “restraint” to avoid further “escalation” in the region after the Iranian assault on Israel, which killed exactly zero people but saw Iran slammed with fresh US sanctions – something that obviously never happens in response to far more deadly Israeli behaviour. https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2024/4/19/strikes-on-iran-can-one-demand-restraint-while-funding-israel
  5. If I had to move back Vegas would be my first choice. A little higher prices than you desire, but can rent a good 1 bedroom condo for about 1200/month. But there's just so many things to do there, many are free. Unless you just want to stay home everyday?
  6. The inconvenient truth is while it is being asserted Jews can’t safely walk in the streets due to the protests, there are Jews regularly attending in the protests.
  7. ...and chock-full of more dodgy lowlifes than the bottom-end of Sukhumvit.
  8. That police hospital performed a miracle absolutely amazing given the recovery he has made in such a short time
  9. Miss Cauto, you are a very tiresome poster. However, your fatuous splenetic comments do have the virtue of demonstrating the depth of your ignorance. Did you not know that it is your lot (those Democrats who believe that the foundations of Western Civilization are entirely racist) have spent the last few years claiming that mathematics is "racist". And therefore our children should be allowed to claim that 2+2 = 5, because that is "their truth". Welcome to the lala land of the likes of Meghan Markle (and J Cauto).
  10. Thailand is losing out big time - those at the top end know and are desperate for massive tourism and white elephant public works projects. That BS maybe worked for China for a logn tiem, but that has run its course and the inevitable economic and social decline has happened - same thing coming to Thailand. You cannot have almost 10 years of Military rule, including 3 years of Covid, and not be severely damaged. The Junta ran the surplus dry and crashed what economic growth there was in the decades before them - not deliberate IMO - incompetence. "Thailand's economy recorded an average growth rate of 1.9% in the decade to 2022, below the 4.4% average for the Asia-Pacific region." Thailand Economic Growth (GDP, ann. var. %) - FocusEconomics (focus-economics.com) Malaysia and Vietnam and Indonesia are eating away at Thailand. Malaysia is taking the high end manufacturing, Vietnam and Indoneisa are taking the low end manufacturing, and they are all taking a chuck out of the tourism sector. TAT will never publish this, but in 2023 there were 26 million tourists into Malaysia - 2 million more than into Thailand (24 million). That is the first time in a long time that anyone in SEAsia has received more tourists than Thailand - and that trend is only going to continue IMO. And here is the kicker - Malaysia received 12.6 Million tourists from Singapore in 2023 (real high end big spending tourists) - Thailand received 1.9 million from Singapore. Malaysia Ranked Most Visited Southeast Asian Country in 2023; Indonesia Ranked 5th - Life En.tempo.co Thailand is in big and very serious trouble - the big end of town know this - that was a major factor in why MFP were blocked and why Srettha was selected as PM - to try and grow the economy and increase tourism (and save their fortunes). Maybe things will turn around in 2024, but IMO the endemic lack of planning and short sightedness of Thais is not going to make that easy. The natural inbuilt advantage they had over other SEAsian countries 15-20 years ago has evaporated. The opportunities to place any large scale manufacturing in SEAsia now reside more in Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia - and their costs and complications are a lot less. IMO Thailand is in the declining stage of their economic development - and I cannot see any real good prospects of future growth - unless you count more Chinese and Russian tourists. Likewise, and the main subject of this thread - Expats are less and less keen to work or retire in Thailand. I selected Thailand back in 2010 for all its advantages over Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, and Singapore. None of those advantages remain today - and I think it now costs more to get a long term 'special' retirement Visa in Thailand than in Singapore - gotta check that out more. The standrad Thaio Visa is cheaper, but the far better Singapore Retirement Visa is like the LTR Visa in Thailand.
  11. How about a 90 day waiver on entry like you give the Russians! We get 45 days in Vietnam, so of course more long stay Brit tourists are going to Vietnam.
  12. I went 'on holiday' to Blackpool early last year, but it didn't seem to be full of British tourists. All I saw were Turkish barber shops..... You obviously went too early.
  13. You are of course correct about taxes which distort prices. Actually domestic U.K. wine is more expensive than say Australian. U.K. really doesn’t have the geography to efficiently produce wine to compete with the likes of Australia and southern Europe (I worked in the industry). It costs more per bottle to truck a container across Europe to U.K. than a shipping container on a ship from Australia to Southampton docks!
  14. Thailand could learn a few lessons from Cambodia 300 dollars for a year reTirement Visa 2 pictures took 2weeks to get no paperwork no embassy or immigration vIsit done from my hotel no 90 day report no tm30 and multiple entRY and a very warm welcome
  15. He asked for facts. Do you have any?
  16. Absolutely. And my first post in this thread addresses the authoritarian laws now in place. Did the protestors (not a mob) actually threaten anyone?
  17. I, for one, prefer the most efficient and practical solution, which involves metal sheeting with appropriate insulation material. Personally, I would opt to live in a safari tent-type house rather than a dwelling covered in cement tiles
  18. That could be an exception to the general rule, as you still have a valid multiple entry visa. The majority of long stay folk, have expired Non O visa's and just extend their permits of stay one year at a time.
  19. and it will start to go rancid within 12-24 months depending on how you store it and what quality it is
  20. Not Bangkok related, topic moved to the Pub.
  21. Yes. Most are older, uneducated, white men. Not all, but many.
  22. He was told this more then once but you know it does not fit his narrative. He is a putin lover, i better stop here.
  23. Sorry, but tired of replying to posters who even don't bother to read the posts and apparently have no principles. More, don't respect people who do have. Again, and for the last time @ yellowtail, @ lucky bones among many others. I have NEVER received any ticket, any letter, any photo, any visit........ Nothing, NADA! How do I suppose to check? They told my wife @ the tax station there was a ticket still outstanding, dated 3 months back somewhere in Chiang Rai. Not even the road, not the time, just the moobaan and date was told. If they give me the slightest proof (or just more info that I could check that I was there and it was indeed my car) I have made a mistake, I am happy to pay the fine. And I am not driving back to Chiangrai just for that. For me and as for now, I DID NOT BREAK ANY LAW!!!!!! Despite that, I had to pay the fine to get my tax-sticker. No yellowtail, lucky bones among many others, this is NOT CORRECT in my opninion.
  1. Load more activity