All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Acting National Police Chief Police General Kittirat Phanphet removed Police General Surachate Hakparn from government service on Thursday. This followed a meeting with Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin at Government House. On Friday, the Southern Thai Association issued a strong letter of endorsement of the embattled former deputy police chief. It said he remained the President of the organisation and was innocent until proven guilty under Thai law. One of Thailand’s oldest associations endorses Big Joke after suspension amid police crisis. The Southern Thai Association backed General Surachate Hakparn, also known as ‘Big Joke,’ after he was fired on Thursday by acting National Police Chief General Kittirat Phanphet amid ongoing police corruption allegations. One of Thailand’s oldest public associations on Friday issued a strong endorsement of General Surachate Hakparn. Big Joke was fired by acting National Police Chief General Kittirat Phanphet on Thursday after consulting with Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin at Government House. The temporary removal of General Surachate or Big Joke from government service could spell the end of his career. Thailand’s favourite police officer has now been arrested by order of a court, found guilty by a three-member panel set up by the Prime Minister and hastily removed. In short, it means the top cop is now precluded from becoming Thailand’s next National Police Commissioner. However, his demise can only spell bad news for the Royal Thai Police. It certainly comes amid a cloud of controversy and crisis that warrants urgent investigation by accountable public authorities outside the force. On Friday afternoon, less than 24 hours after reports that Deputy National Police Chief General Surachate Hakparn had been suspended from government service, he was endorsed by one of the country’s oldest representative associations. The Southern Thai Association under Royal Patronage emphasised that General Surachate would continue in his role as President of the organisation. At the same time, it highlighted that the top cop can appeal the decision by the acting national police chief. by Joseph O' Connor Full story: Thai Examiner.com 2024-04-20 Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe
  3. Hmmm… its almost like the authorities are surprised by the increase in road deaths and its link to increased alcohol use. After all its only been happening for the past 20 yrs that i know of. TIT
  4. He should have a Go Fund Me page to make the process more respectable, maybe?
  5. to continue: Thailand Live Saturday 20 April 2024 https://aseannow.com/topic/1325427-thailand-live-saturday-20-april-2024/
  6. French national apprehended in Bangkok on kidnap charge Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post Bangkok’s Metropolitan Police Bureau apprehended a 45 year old French national at a hotel in the Silom area of Bang Rak district. The arrest, which took place around 10pm yesterday concerned allegations of a planned kidnapping of the young daughter of a renowned businesswoman, with a demand for a 200 million baht ransom. Full Story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1325394-french-national-apprehended-in-bangkok-on-kidnap-charge/
  7. ASEANNOW, Thailand’s largest English language forum and a major English language news publisher, has been acquired by The Thaiger from Choice Group Asia Co., Ltd. This acquisition aligns with The Thaiger’s strategic initiative to broaden its influence and capabilities in English-language digital publishing across Thailand. ASEANNOW joins The Thaiger in strategic acquisition to expand digital reach in Thailand Full Story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1325398-aseannow-joins-the-thaiger-in-strategic-acquisition-to-expand-digital-reach-in-thailand/
  8. Y'all want to send some of that down our way. Took the scooter out yesterday, first time in a while. That's brutal, and that warm breeze isn't that refreshing. Thoughts of adding a side cart, just for the roof, to ride in the shade, since it's usually just the dog & myself, cruising slow, top speed of 60 kph. Don't want to dry her eyes out.
  9. Don't underestimate the fact that, in Thailand, there is a powerful network of appointed people who appoint each other. Their power is significantly isolated from government changes, as they are not appointed by the government. It's not at all comparable to the U.S. or France. Thaksin or not Thaksin is a minor issue.
  10. and so you buy an old rundown trailer and pay $500 a month in lease rent until the owner of the land decides to double or triple the rent or more likely sell the entire property to a developer for condos and you are given a few months notice to get your mobile off the lot which is not cheap and often mobile so old can't be moved safely and even then where u gonna move it and who pays for that?....not a lot of long term leases offered at those prices..
  11. Today
  12. maybe the wife did not dispute the bill because she watched her idiot husband order it all and it was correct? As said if he was ordering some premium german beer it would not take much to get to 1000 thb.....lot of unknowns in the story but i am more inclined to believe the gals who were attacked than a drunk
  13. You've lived there before? Some of these parks have old trailers permanently parked for sale for as little as 10k use. If someone is forced to repatriate due to health or other concerns then this is a viable alternative to living in a car. Homeless people are everywhere. I'd classifify many expats as drifters.
  14. Meanwhile, outside the courthouse, a likely Trump supporter set him/herself on fire. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/19/trump-trial-person-fire A person set themselves on fire on Friday lunchtime outside the lower Manhattan courthouse where Donald Trump is on trial in a hush-money case. Pictures of someone in flames were carried live on television and spread on X, the social media network formerly known as Twitter. The incident occurred just as Judge Juan Merchan was recessing for lunch on the third day of the former president’s trial for fraud, shortly after a full jury of 12, and six alternates, were seated. ---- One down, 70 million to go.
  15. Who controlled the Constitutional Court? That's like saying the judges who sentence people to death in Iran for being gay or blasphemy are independent. In any case, it is time to move on. Thailand needs to get past the violence and hatred. It has done well since the return to quasi elected government. Yes, the MFP should be in office, but the path to freedom will just take longer. The next election will most likely return an even larger MFP mandate. The days of Thaksin's grip are coming to an end. How long did it take to end the Chicago Cook county stranglehold of US politics, or the dominance of the Gaulists in France? Change will happen and is happening now. Young people want change and the days of a military junta being able to change governments like a Pattaya hooker changes customers is coming to an end. propserity and opportunity are changing Thailand for the better. Change is a slow, but progressive future.
  16. waiting for a grumpy gus to moan about the police wearing "covid" masks and how they are all sheep.....(any minute now)
  17. a face only a mother could love....a face for radio 🙂 side note the soi dogs were upset that he took their favorite spot for napping on the tiles with the ac blast 🙂
  18. The man is free to do as he wishes. However, it is quite obvious that he has a sense of entitlement. He genuinely believes that he should keep his titles even tough he no longer represents the institution, nor acts on its behalf. As long as he insists on keeping his royal titles he deserves to be ridiculed for being a hypocrite. His wife doesn't get it. She isn't royalty and never will be. It isn't just about being born into it, but in being trained since birth and a willingness to give up one's own privacy and individuality for the sake of the nation represented. The "palace" doesn't bleed anyone dry. Why offer up such nonsensical hyperbole? There isn't hatred, just disdain for a hypocrite. You really don't know if he is decent or not. All you have seen are what has been presented through small amounts of media coverage, both independent and put out by Harry and company. Maybe he is decent, and maybe he does have some empathy for others, but it is obvious that he is not particularly bright. The Invictus games were a well planned strategy to present him in a good light. As the participation in active conflicts has reduced, so too has the number of military wounded and amputees and hopefully, we will continue to see fewer of them. His pursuit of the tabloids has been a bust. He claims he doesn't want media interference, yet, he and his wife seek to use the media for their own financial benefit. If he really wants to be separate from the Royal family and its obligations and dutie,s then he should just make a clean sweep of it and let go of his titles. He was quite adamant about retaining titles for his children. Quite a contrast from the hardworking princess Anne, who never complains. Anne did not give her children royal titles. This is why people have little patience for Harry. He won't let go.
  19. i dont like the gels..tastes gross.... my chinese guy in chinatown has a korean knockoff and they work well..has a banana on the pack 🙂 i usually use a 1/4 or half and ive chewed it once but UGH....they usually dissolve quick and 30 mins later....also take on empty stomach for rapid results! 🙂
  20. Ive run an airbnb....it SHOULD be up to them to DO the TM30 as its their property and you are the guest...many dont do it...can also be done on website...IMM may not even care I would go to IMM and simply ask them to correct it....they should.....if not you have 30 days...which can be extended another 30 for 1900 bt(50usd) you could then do the allowed 2 border runs and get another 30+ext and the 2nd run for another 30+ext...=6 months.....i will return there in 2 weeks and ive been doing this for 15 yrs one way never a visa i stay my 6 months and go home..... maybe can ask your airbnb host to go with you in case the TM30 issue comes up but id doubt they care but you never know here....my landlord in my apt does mine when i arrive each year
  21. How often did Israel already attack another ME country on request from the U.S?
  22. Try smoking it in a Crack pipe. Works better.
  1. Load more activity