BANGKOK 26 April 2019 05:40

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I’d tell Kim to shut the f@#& up or we will show your people how the rest of the world lives oh I forgot Donald and Kim are in love
  3. Obviously quality construction - any walls I have built aren't going to be damaged by wind! I see no evidence of any reinforcing steel. Typical red brick coated in plaster and stucco - I call it cosmetic engineering - no structural strength - but it looks good! You can put lipstick on a pig but...............
  4. France's Macron to shut elite ENA school in drive for fairness By Richard Lough The main entrance of France's National School of Administration, ENA, (Ecole Nationale d'Administration) is seen in Strasbourg, France April 24, 2019. REUTERS/Vincent Kessler PARIS (Reuters) - The Ecole Nationale d'Administration has for decades churned out presidents, ambassadors and industry leaders but on Thursday, President Emmanuel Macron said he would abolish what has become a symbol of inequality in his drive for a fairer society. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1097074-frances-macron-to-shut-elite-ena-school-in-drive-for-fairness/
  5. France's Macron to shut elite ENA school in drive for fairness By Richard Lough The main entrance of France's National School of Administration, ENA, (Ecole Nationale d'Administration) is seen in Strasbourg, France April 24, 2019. REUTERS/Vincent Kessler PARIS (Reuters) - The Ecole Nationale d'Administration has for decades churned out presidents, ambassadors and industry leaders but on Thursday, President Emmanuel Macron said he would abolish what has become a symbol of inequality in his drive for a fairer society. "To carry this reform we need to put an end to the ENA," Macron said as he outlined his response to months of protests in part against elitism in the political establishment. "This is not about saying the ENA is a bad thing, quite the contrary. This is about ambitious reform, we need to build something that works better." The president's eye-catching move against his own prestigious alma mater will please those who consider the ENA an emblem of the tight-knit club that dominates political and business circles and rile others who see a cynical gesture that fails to address the causes of France's social imbalances. "If you keep the same structures, habits are too strong," Macron said as he sought to calm a five-month street revolt that has derailed his economic reforms and challenged his authority. The postgraduate school was founded in 1945 by Charles de Gaulle to train a postwar administrative elite drawn from across all social classes. With time, however, it earned a reputation as out of touch and catering to privileged students from the upper social echelons and struggled to modernise its image. Four modern-day presidents and seven prime ministers are Enarques, as the school's alumni are known. So too are the chief executives of telecoms group Orange, Societe Generale bank and the former boss of insurer AXA. The flagbearer of Macron's European election campaign, Nathalie Loiseau, is a past director of the school and the president said France needed to change the way senior civil servants are recruited, trained and their careers are managed. The growing tendency for Enarques to move back and forth between the public and private sector has only deepened the public perception of a distant, incestuous old boy's network. ELITISM "The ENA has come to symbolise exactly that which so many French people loathe: elitism," Alain Klarsfeld, a professor at the Toulouse Business School, wrote in a column in Le Monde. Macron is not the first French leader to talk about either abolishing the ENA or narrowing the wide gulf between France's grandes ecoles like the ENA and its public universities. With the education system already skewed, Nicolas Sarkozy tried to modernise the ENA by broadening the school's socio-economic in-take and sought to scrap the 'classement' system that allows each year's top 15 achievers to cherry pick the most prestigious posts. He failed. "There are two types of Enarques: the top 15 and then the rest," said historian Marc-Olivier Baruch, who studied at the ENA nearly 40 years ago. "The top 15 know they will be the bosses of the rest, and the rest know they will obey the 15." Shutting down the ENA is unlikely to solve France's two-tier education system, as students continue to pass through other grandes ecoles - highly competitive institutions that sit apart from the broader university system. Asked how far abolishing the ENA would appease yellow vest protesters, Baruch said: "They won't give a damn." Macron's plans for ENA leaked after a fire ripped through Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral, forcing the president to delay his long-awaited policy announcements and prompting a robust defence of the school from ENA director Patrick Gerard. "No, ENA students are not cut off from the realities of their time," Gerard wrote in Le Figaro. "No, ENA students are not in their own little bubble." (Additional reporting by Michel Rose, Writing by Richard Lough; Editing by Leigh Thomas, William Maclean) -- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-26
  6. Did you notice the signs on motorway 7 forbidding motorcycles? //////// [There is a Red Cross operation in SiRacha]
  7. A Somali goatherder? You know how to wound. Here I was thinking all your candidates for Munchausen Awards were an outcome of total veracity in your posts, and all this time you have been fibbing to us? You can level whatever insults you want at the prowess of Aussies. My GF's principal recreation, apart from Thai soaps, is stimulating me to my full glory, then worshipping what she has created. As this is a family forum, I regret further detail of her methods of worship cannot be illustrated in graphic detail. You will have to use your imagination, which I am confident is up to the task. You may call yourself Tripod. However, I note from previous posts you have admitted to some pharmaceutical assistance. Or was that a fib as well?
  8. The "connected party" wouldn't be Thai Airways by any chance. Thai Airways is Nok Air's largest shareholder and holds the dismal distinction of being the biggest loss maker of all international airlines. If this is the case then it is like a daisy chain where Thai Airways props up Nok Air and the government (aka taxpayer) props up Thai Airways. http://smartaviation-apac.com/2019/01/thai-airways-considers-funding-ailing-nok-air/
  9. As I have previously stated the military have no intention of ceding control.
  10. I found the saddest part of this story to be 20 large only buys 828,690 bt instead of 1,100,000
  11. I guess that will depend on whether the EC have completed the required calculations to the satisfaction of ground control.
  12. Migrants evacuated as confident Tripoli fighters tell Haftar: 'We are coming' By Ahmed Elumami and Hani Amara Members of the the Libyan internationally recognised government forces take position during the fighting with the Eastern forces in Ain Zara, in Tripoli, Libya April 21, 2019. REUTERS/Ahmed Jadallah TRIPOLI (Reuters) - The United Nations on Thursday evacuated more than 350 migrants from a detention centre in southern Tripoli where a fierce battle raged as fighters from rival Libyan camps traded rockets and artillery shells. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1097073-migrants-evacuated-as-confident-tripoli-fighters-tell-haftar-we-are-coming/
  13. Migrants evacuated as confident Tripoli fighters tell Haftar: 'We are coming' By Ahmed Elumami and Hani Amara Members of the the Libyan internationally recognised government forces take position during the fighting with the Eastern forces in Ain Zara, in Tripoli, Libya April 21, 2019. REUTERS/Ahmed Jadallah TRIPOLI (Reuters) - The United Nations on Thursday evacuated more than 350 migrants from a detention centre in southern Tripoli where a fierce battle raged as fighters from rival Libyan camps traded rockets and artillery shells. The Libyan National Army (LNA), led by commander Khalifa Haftar, which is allied to a rival government in eastern Libya, has mounted an offensive on Tripoli but has so far failed to breach the city’s southern defences. The group of migrants could be seen travelling on Thursday in buses to a detention centre in Zawiya, a town 40 km (25 miles) west of the capital, bringing the total evacuated since Wednesday to around 675. They came from a facility in the Qasr Ben Gashir district run by the U.N.-backed government in Tripoli, an area that has become the main theatre of fighting. A Reuters reporter in the suburb of Ain Zara, also in southern Tripoli, saw heavy clashes, with both sides using artillery and anti-aircraft guns. Forces loyal to the Tripoli government have managed to push back the LNA on some southern frontlines though the LNA was still fighting inside southern Tripoli. The Tripoli forces have gained ground in some parts of Ain Zara. Gunfire rang through a narrow street packed with pickup trucks mounted with anti aircraft guns as fighters allied to Tripoli forces shouted: "Haftar, we are coming". One fighter from Zintan, a region west of the capital, was firing his anti-aircraft gun for several minutes. Later he was killed by an incoming rocket, his comrades told Reuters. Two others from the same armed group died later as shelling from the battle in southern suburbs could be heard in central Tripoli late at night, witnesses said. The LNA also still holds the forward base of Gharyan, a town 80 km (50 miles) south of Tripoli, which is difficult to take due to its mountainous location. Hospitals are struggling with chronic shortages of medical supplies amid power outages and weakened water pumping stations, the aid agency said in a statement after three weeks of clashes. "It is crucial that hospitals, medical facilities, health staff and vehicles transporting the wounded are allowed to carry out their activities safely," said International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in a statement. The World Health Organisation said on Twitter that 278 people have been killed in the last three weeks, while 1,332 others have been wounded. (Additional reporting by Stephanie Nebehay; Writing by Ahmed Elumami and Ulf Laessing; Editing by Gareth Jones, Toby Chopra and James Dalgleish) -- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-26
  14. Heading to the Thai Red Cross near BTS Ratchadamri. On car rides I notice no scooters or even motorcycles on the highway. Just wanted to check with you guys if this route can be done on a 125cc motorbike: Google map from pattaya to Thai Red Cross If not I'm open to alternative routes, thanks.
  15. I've never had to visit my Embassy (UK), did my Income letter via email (from Singapore) & it was in my mailbox waiting for me when I got back to Bangkok... There have been a few positive rumours such as:- The new METV was going to make everything easier (it didn't) The new O-X Retirement Visa was going to make everything better (it didn't) They were going to do away with TM6 arrival cards (they did, for Thais). ... and my favourite... You'll be able to do your 90 day report online, lol, one of the funniest April 1st jokes I'd ever read Oh & Farang not being able to marry a Thai is a positive thing, if you're single - It's one of the things that Cambodia has going for it now I'm over 50... - Joking, if I were ever in that position the law is that you can't marry them in Cambodia, you can always go to Singapore, get married & it will be legal in Cambodia (Just don't let your Khmer gf know)
  16. H0pewell will find the backhand works best here whilst the forehand has other duties
  17. I bought an oversized toyota 4x4 years ago. The car was great but would mever do it again. It was a constant nightmare, turning down alleys or even dirt roads, people leave just enough room to let a "normal" sized car through, but you wont fit. Not to mention parking and squeezing in tight spaces in traffic, making u turns etc. Total nightmare drive in Thailand I would never entertain one again. In fact they stopped importing the one i bought about a year after i got it, i could see why. That was why it sold so easy too though, the guy that wanted it could not buy it new anymore.
  18. Kim Jong Un says peace on Korean peninsula depends on U.S. attitude: KCNA North Korean leader Kim Jong Un meets with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vladivostok, Russia in this undated photo released on April 25, 2019 by North Korea's Central News Agency (KCNA). KCNA via REUTERS SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, during his summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin, said peace and security on the Korean peninsula will entirely depend on the future U.S. attitude, state media Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said on Friday. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1097071-kim-jong-un-says-peace-on-korean-peninsula-depends-on-us-attitude-kcna/
  19. Companies like those in Switzerland (Dignitas)should be able to provide their services in all countries of the world and keep religion out of it entirely.
  20. Kim Jong Un says peace on Korean peninsula depends on U.S. attitude: KCNA North Korean leader Kim Jong Un meets with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Vladivostok, Russia in this undated photo released on April 25, 2019 by North Korea's Central News Agency (KCNA). KCNA via REUTERS SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, during his summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin, said peace and security on the Korean peninsula will entirely depend on the future U.S. attitude, state media Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said on Friday. Kim's remarks are seen as keeping pressure on the U.S. to be "more flexible" in accepting Pyongyang's demands to ease sanctions, compared to the U.S. stance during the collapsed second U.S.-North Korea summit in February in Hanoi, as he said earlier this month. Kim said at the time he will wait "till the end of this year" for the United States to change its mind. "The situation on the Korean peninsula and the region is now at a standstill and has reached a critical point where it may return to its original state as the U.S. took a unilateral attitude in bad faith at the recent second DPRK-U.S. summit talks," KCNA reported Kim saying, using North Korea's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Kim invited Putin to North Korea at a convenient time and Putin accepted, KCNA said. The first face-to-face talks between Putin and Kim, held on an island off the Russian Pacific city of Vladivostok on Thursday, did not appear to have yielded any major breakthrough. The two leaders had an in-depth discussion on the ways for the two countries to promote the strategic communication and tactical collaboration in the course of ensuring peace and security on the Korean peninsula and in the region, KCNA said. Putin said afterward he thought a deal on Pyongyang's nuclear programme was possible and that the way to get there was to move forward step-by-step in order to build trust. But any U.S. guarantees might need to be supported by the other nations involved in previous six-way talks on the nuclear issue, Putin said, which was seen as an attempt to use the summit to strengthen Russia's diplomatic clout as a global player. Both Russia and North Korea agreed to take positive measures in several fields in order to further cooperate in trade, economy, science and technology, KCNA said. (Reporting by Joyce Lee and Hyonhee Shin; Editing by Bill Berkrot and Chris Reese) -- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-26
  21. Ouch!! This page does say it often fixes itself https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bullous-pemphigoid/symptoms-causes/syc-20350414 At least the symptoms are treatable and you know what it is.
  22. Nearly 20 years of stonewalling. When even the East signally failed to hustle the East...
  23. This sounds appalling value for money. At the same age I'm paying the same premium amount for more than 1 million USD of cover.... with zero excess and zero copay.
  24. Sri Lanka revises death toll from attacks down by 100 By Ranga Sirilal and Shihar Aneez Police investigators work at the site of a blast behind the magistrates court in the town of Pugoda, 40 km (25 miles) east of the capital Colombo, Sri Lanka April 25, 2019. REUTERS/Thomas Peter COLOMBO (Reuters) - Sri Lankan officials revised the death toll from Easter Sunday bombings down by about 100 on Thursday, blaming the difficulty in identifying body parts at bomb scenes for the earlier inaccurate number. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1097070-sri lanka revises-death-toll-from-attacks-down-by-100/
  1. Load more activity