BANGKOK 20 April 2019 19:11

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. if they live there it is not very big and the threat to thailand must be huge.the thai government are making a mountain out of a mole hill i think
  3. Read my post again: I did not say that she may be your American cousin; I said she may be the spouse/partner of your American cousin. I said this because her FLR residence permit does not name you, so she could be the spouse/partner of someone else who may not necessarily be British, another EU/EEA national or Swiss. Your marriage certificate does prove your relationship, and that may satisfy immigration at your port of entry to The Netherlands; but will it satisfy your airline's check in staff who probably aren't fully aware of the requirements? If it doesn't, then your wife will not be allowed to board. Want to take that chance? I originally linked to and quoted from the guidance to keep it simple; but have linked to and quoted from the directive itself since. Here is that link again, this time with the full title so you cannot confuse it with the guidance.: DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 29 April 2004 on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States amending Regulation (EEC) No 1612/68 and repealing Directives 64/221/EEC, 68/360/EEC, 72/194/EEC, 73/148/EEC, 75/34/EEC, 75/35/EEC, 90/364/EEC, 90/365/EEC and 93/96/EEC Both the guidance and the directive itself clearly state that your wife needs a visa, whether obtained in advance or at the border, due to her having a UK residence card as the spouse/partner of an unnamed individual, not as a family member of a Union citizen. I have quoted from the directive to show that the words "family member of a Union citizen" must appear on that residence card. To be honest, I can't be arsed to trawl through the directive to see if the words "except the country you are a national of" or similar appear because she does not have a residence card as a family member of a Union citizen and so needs a visa anyway. A member's immigration rules are separate and apart from their EEA regulations. The latter applies to EEA and Swiss nationals and their qualifying family members and are based upon, and include all the requirements of, the FoM directive. The former are not and are set and amended by the individual member state's government with no need to comply with any EU ruling or directive whatsoever. Although the rules and requirements are the same for all the Schengen states they are applied without reference to the FoM directive unless the applicant is a qualifying family member of an EWU/EEA/Swiss national. Your wife's FLR residence permit was issued under the UK immigration rules, not the UK's EEA regulations. If it had been issued under the EEA regulations it would have the words "family member of a Union citizen" on it! Does it? "Spouse/partner" means what it says. As I said before, that you have the same name does not prove she is your spouse/partner. Leaving possible American cousins aside, I have the same surname as my brother's wife; but she is not my spouse/partner! She would also have exactly the same residence card with exactly the same wording on it were she the wife of a non Brit, e.g. American, who had ILR in the UK. I took the picture of the residence card from page 10 of the government's An employer’s guide to acceptable right to work documents. Yes, and I have always said as much! But as I have said, theoldgit has said, Donutz, rasg has said; getting to the port of entry may not be possible as your airline may refuse to board her without a visa! Want to take that chance? What vested interests? Why would anyone want to hide the facts; even though your wife needs a visa, it will be issued free of charge so there is no money to be made by hiding the truth. The only possible difference between what is in the guidance and the directive is your claim that the directive does not say "except the country you are a national of" or similar. As I have already said, I can't be arsed to trawl through to see if you are correct or not for the simple reason that your wife does not have a residence card as the family member of an EU national issued under the EEA regulations! Therefore, as both the guidance and the directive clearly say, she needs a visa regardless of whether or not the words "except the country you are a national of" or similar appear anywhere in the directive. Fair enough; but London is not your only option for her to apply, and either Manchester or Edinburgh may be closer. At least four people have advised you she needs a visa and it's best for her to get it in advance. Up to you; get her visa in advance or be prepared to be denied boarding when you get to the airport. I know what I would do.
  4. They don’t let him out you know. I’m sure the nurses don’t know he’s got a SIM, they think he just spends hours playing candy crush on his iPad.
  5. you can buy Plants in the Sukhumvit Plant Market from Friday to Sunday. Just a little further than Bangkok Hospital opposite side. Put them in a bigger pot or direct in the ground and you will have a weed growing taking over your entire garden if wished.
  6. If you are eating well and exercising, which you are, shouldn't be anything to worry about. FBS is not a great indicator anyway, perhaps an HbA1C reading will give you a better indicator? Time of day will also impact the reading. If you test FBS shortly after waking up, you will get a higher reading due to the body flooding the system with glucose to get you going. Mine is 90 when I wake, drops to 80 2 hours later.
  7. An interesting article Chinese communist party in private business An interesting look at the symbiotic relationship between the Communist Party and large private businesses in China. In many aspects not that dissimilar to Thailand!
  8. I know of a natural foods restaurant in BKK that serves some entrees with a "mock meat" that I gather is mainly made from ground nuts, seasonings, etc. I've had it as a taco salad, and it's pretty tasty. On the other hand, I just tried the supposed beef filling that Taco Bell Thailand has recently made available at their two outlets in BKK, and there's no way in the world anyone eating it would believe or think or taste that they were eating beef. Rather, some kind of foreign mystery "meat". Between the two, I'd take the 'mock meat" from the BKK health foods restaurant every day of the week!!!
  9. I have made the transition to the Philippines for precisely these reasons, and I believe it will get worse rather than better.
  10. “Thai air” and “ China air” (assume you mean China Airlines DO NOT have direct nonstop flights from Los Angeles to Bangkok. Thai Airways International does not even serve North America anymore. Why do people post rubbish or “facts” repeated from others who know nothing of what they are talking about?
  11. And he seems to be more awake (in this instance) than the rest of the country.
  12. OK, freight (suitcase) seems not a solution (apropos the VISA I have already) A possibility is maybee to let the suitcase alone in the baggage claim area (BKK). And then I will go after landing directly to transver/transit, check-in my next fly to vientianne (to enter finaly Thailand by Friendship Bridge)? Approximately 1 day later i am back in bangkok and I will go to airport to get my suitcase through the customs?
  13. The streets of any average UK city are running wick with them. Be it the Eastern European drunks or the other unwanted.
  14. Never been asked for a medical at CM, and I'm 75. Mind you, I think I look a fair bit fitter than some of the fat guts I see there on both sides of the counters.
  15. yep, and if Eriksson had have went down at the other end, penalty and down to 10 men
  16. A lot of mothers missing their children will make that bitches life hell and so they should. Don't worry they will get pies inside. Might have ground glass and bodily fluids in them though.
  17. Alexander Buchan and family Jan Colam and family Robert Tait and family Andrew Marr and family Sir Ian Wood and family https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2018/10/11/fishing-quota-uk-defra-michael-gove/
  18. As it's in International waters etc is the Thai Navy to be charged with piracy of the high seas along with theft? And being idiots - sorry couldn't resist that
  19. It seem to be very different from province to province. We have seen posts from Isaan where it was "piece of cake" to have one, and for me it was exactly like obtaining permanent residency, apart for a language test, and the relative high residency-fee. Best thing is to check a local form if someone has experience, and go to your tabien ban office, preferably with someone speaking Thai that can act as translator, and find out the procedure and demands in your area. The Yellow House Book is good for proof of address – and you get an Thai ID-number, which is also TIN – and you can later apply for a pink Thai ID-card for foreigners (might require some official paperwork from tabien ban office, and an interview at the amphor office, where ID-cards are issued).
  20. The statistics tells another story ... https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Rape-rate
  21. Correct, Thailand is not poor, butthew way the princes are funded is crucial in understanding how the garbage has NOT BEEN CLEARED or disposed of on Samui. Corruption graft and nepotism throughout the country lead to people in positions of power they do not merit and in jobs they are unqualified to do, and funds "disappearing" however they managed to buy an enormous incinerator - which they haven't used for 8 years - the scandal of Samui's garbage pile is a world wide disgrace and it seems the local authorities are just beginning to export the stuff to the mainland - it may well be a case on too little to late.......but to just put it down to corruption is way, way too simplistic as is talking about garbage collection. Collection's not a problem - they managed quite successfully to get 300,000 tonnes of the stuff and stick it on top of a hill next the prison.........
  1. Load more activity