BANGKOK 21 April 2019 07:58

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I've been to Mexico several times. I've been to Mazatlan which was referenced. I've been to Spain several times. Not Latin America. Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  3. If that's the case, when will the 800k jump to 1.5 million, to have a "better" herd?
  4. My apologies. I mis-read your statement. Should’ve had coffee first beforehand
  5. To capitalize Thai banks. It's a cheap farang loan to the banking sector, therefore the Thai economy. Why else do you think you can't touch the 800k for 5 months, and the 400k forever, if the purpose of the money is to prove you have funds to live on here?
  6. This topic has been debated to death on this forum -- but it keeps on rising from the dead! The general consensus seems to be that it is better to be safe than sorry. The 7-day grace period is for people who are remaining in the country. If you leave on day 95 without reporting, there is the possibility that on your next visit to Immigration the IO will notice that you did not report and fine you. Remember: this is Thailand. There are no firm rules where IOs are concerned.
  7. Money is the easiest way to cull the herd. Get rid of the poorer expats and keep the richer. This kills two birds with one stone. Reducing the total amount of retirees and increasing the perceived quality of the remaining retirees. I still haven't heard anyone come up with an explanation as to WHY the rules have changed.
  8. Deputy premier orders Ministry of Finance to take economic stimulus measures tewit kemtong BANGKOK, 20 April 2019 (NNT) - In the light of indications of a national economic slowdown during the second quarter of this year due to external factors and a transitional period over the setting up of a new government, Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak has ordered the Ministry of Finance to take short-term economic stimulus measures, under which taxpayers may file the expenses on their children’s education in the upcoming semester as a tax deduction. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096281-deputy-premier-orders-ministry-of-finance-to-take-economic-stimulus-measures/
  9. No need to complain. If the topic doesn't interest you (Latin America) you may Not read the thread Not post to the thread Start a new thread about a topic you do want to talk about Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  10. "Rich in, Poor out" Not convinced. Except for 3 countries, one can still obtain an extension with no money in a Thai bank. With no obligation to transfer at least 65000 monthly. So in theory one can still live here with no bank account, and with whatever what monthly amount that suits you. It may change tomorrow of course.
  11. Deputy premier orders Ministry of Finance to take economic stimulus measures tewit kemtong BANGKOK, 20 April 2019 (NNT) - In the light of indications of a national economic slowdown during the second quarter of this year due to external factors and a transitional period over the setting up of a new government, Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak has ordered the Ministry of Finance to take short-term economic stimulus measures, under which taxpayers may file the expenses on their children’s education in the upcoming semester as a tax deduction. During a meeting with high-level officials of the Ministry of Finance, the deputy premier urged them to promptly find economic stimulus measures and keep the national economy from slowing any further. Those measures are set to be proposed for approval by the cabinet in the next two weeks. Finance Minister Apisak Tantivorawong says the national economy during the second and third quarters would only grow by three percent, thus requiring some economic stimulus measures with a focus on promotion of domestic consumption for which an estimated 20 billion baht in funding is expected to be allocated. At an initial stage, the measures call for tax deductions to help with students’ expenses and would be run in a manner similar to the Shopping for Country campaign. Tax-deductible expenses may include the purchase of students’ clothes, educational equipment and textbooks. Besides, the regulations for housing loans provided to low-income earners would be made more favorable for them to borrow, while expenses on domestic recreational tours may also become tax-deductible. -- © Copyright nnt 2019-04-21
  12. If you drink 10-15 beers a night, it makes a significant difference to your cost of living (and your value as a customer). My six pals and I would have a $30 bill at nearly every bar we entered. One bar right on the river, the waiter said, "no happy hour during the holidays, beer is $1.50 today", as we all got up to leave the manager rushed over and said, "no, no, special new year happy hour for your table". I don't play golf, so don't care about it, you don't drink much beer so don't care about the price. I probably enjoy my 5Km morning river walk as much as you enjoy your golf. People are different and have different priorities in life, I don't criticise you for your golfing addiction, enjoy.
  13. Good topic ! i personaly would run it on a tad longer and this heat will soon cool down .. i would avoid being somewhat owned by this chain once folks have forked out the costs of kids getting back to school i think things will settle, also you must be slowly gaining regulars ?? hang on in there.
  14. Joe, how can you say it's not about the money when the new laws are based on exactly that, money???? Why would they want to reduce the amount of expat retirees here? They don't take a job from a Thai. They bring in foreign currency. They contribute to the housing and vehicle industry here. They are not a burden on health care because their either pay up front, or have insurance. They pay taxes, everything from property taxes to VAT. They certainly contribute to the hospitality industry here. 99.9% are law abiding, so no trouble with the police. In general terms, provide employment. You seem to have this view that any expat who doesn't put 800k in a Thai bank must have lost all their money to a Thai hooker, and is now practically living on the street, begging for money, and these are the people Thai want to get rid of. These people do exist, but I would suggest they are on overstay and will have to be rounded up another way, because the 800k method will not move them on.
  15. It is in my area to keep a close track and relations for what will happen, but no one is a soothsayer. Let's leave it at that. The baht is stabilized for now and thought to go back up in our favor in Q4. Ofcourse something more odd could happen and it could shoot more down/stronger, but in reality Thailand has more to lose in the end if it doesn't return back to where it was resting at 33/34baht to 1 USD with the just say end negative results from North American or many EU countries.. But in a normal year (not like this year) it will fluctuate up and down and then one calculates the result for average.
  16. NACC lifts water loan misconduct charges against Yingluck tewit kemtong BANGKOK, 20 April 2019 (NNT) -The National Anti-Corruption Commission has lifted misconduct charges against former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra involving an executive decree for water management loans, due to lack of evidence. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096279-nacc-lifts-water-loan-misconduct-charges-against-yingluck/
  17. As you well know I never said my personal time frame was only about time to learn Spanish. Keep in mind the topic is about expatriation to Latin America. The topic is not me. About Spanish happily it is an easier language for English speakers. So many of the words are similar to English. The elementary basics like greetings can be picked up quickly. But then past that and it gets harder. Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  18. I have tried the Central Thailand forum, but it is no help here, anyone know who does laptop repairs in Nakhon Sawan?
  19. NACC lifts water loan misconduct charges against Yingluck tewit kemtong BANGKOK, 20 April 2019 (NNT) -The National Anti-Corruption Commission has lifted misconduct charges against former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra involving an executive decree for water management loans, due to lack of evidence. NACC Secretary General Worawit Sookboon announced on Thursday that the NACC had resolved to lift the misconduct charges against Yingluck and her cabinet which had issued the executive decree for the acquisition of 350 billion baht in loans to finance the water management projects in 2012. The NACC had set up an investigative committee which had compiled pieces of evidence and followed the rulings of the Constitutional Court delivered earlier that year on the executive decree which provided for the Ministry of Finance to borrow funds to finance the implementation of water management projects and relevant plans primarily designed to maintain national economic stability and prevent public disasters in accordance with the constitution’s Article 184, considered an inevitable emergency case, prompting the NACC to reach the unanimous decision to lift the misconduct charges due to lack of substantial evidence. Nevertheless, the NACC is currently in the process of investigating whether the Terms Of Reference for the implementation of the water management projects might have rendered undue profits to certain contractors or might have violated the 2007 constitution. -- © Copyright nnt 2019-04-21
  20. English is not my first language and I missed the "off". My position is that is if it's legal according to international law then it has to be allowed. Some people can't wrap their head about the fact that some people don't want any government interference or help and they don't care to defend themself and maybe die. This is called freedom. I'm not delusional and I understand that without some strong military it is pretty hard to prevent most country to let you alone near their coast. This seasteed has no propulsion but everything else is almost the same has a boat. It has a flashing light, an AIS beacon and probably a radio. If this is not allowed then any vessels should be prevented from anchoring in international water.
  21. "building democratic stability" nowadays that seems to be code word for bombing the country back to the stone age. One can clearly see the results of the US's aid to 'democratic stability' in Syria and Iraq today.
  22. Apparently being a thespian also gives one a licence to be a fruitcake.
  1. Load more activity