All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. After finishing soon it will be a new Tjernobyl..
  3. Not true. I have worked outside the US, paid taxes to the country of residence, and then claimed the money from my US tax obligation. You have to report to the US IRS your worldwide income.
  4. No. Unless you're suggesting Thais deliberately kill others using motor vehicles which I doubt.
  5. I worked for BMW in Munich as a graphic designer, I often went into the factory to take pictures of the various stages of production. Once I climbed the steps up the production line, about two stories high, waiting for the right model to be transported along the line, to my delight the right model came along and I stepped forward to take the photos, I was really pleased that just at that moment the line stopped and I was able to take photos for 15 minutes until an enraged foreman flew up the stairs and pulled me away by the scruff of my neck whereupon the line started moving again. I had trodden on a safety plate which was there to stop the line to prevent people being knocked off the platform by the cars being transported along the production line. I had unwittingly stopped the whole production line in that hall and people were tearing their hair out trying to find the cause of the stoppage, I had cost BMW 30,000 Euros in production fall out, I thought the foreman was about to have a heart attack,.......safety first.
  6. Thanks TOG for a polite reply - I realised I was on dangerous ground LOL. Your 'negotiations' re. the 'Budget Challenge' sound a bit of old Sir Humphrey to me. Some sort of salary sacrifice for pension benefits . . MMMMmmmm I understand that NHS funding comes out of the varied tax take. Re. higher salaries for CS 'jumping ship' as you say. Of course! But generally, I think CS pay has not been lagging, given the differences. ATB
  7. Hmm, strange that they would have said "kon kao" (white person) rather than farang. Almost never heard a Thai use the expression "white person" either in Thai or English. Speaking of gas (petrol) stations in Thailand, most of the busy ones have far too many people around for any such incident to occur.
  8. It's been some time since this was first mentioned in the long tax thread, it was so because one posters wife had applied for one of the roles. Much more than that I can't tell you anything further since nobody has raised it since. I personally would never deal with my Amphur or tessaban Revenue office, I only ever go to District which is in the center of Chiang Mai and the levels of English there are good, they are very helpful and knowledgable.
  9. PHUKET, Thailand – A tragic motorcycle accident on the island of Phuket has claimed the lives of three people, including two foreign nationals. The collision occurred in the early hours on a road leading to Rawai beach. Police identified the deceased as Joseph Kristofer (36), Magnus Stefan Anderson (52), and Kanokkarn Taphao (44). The nationalities of the foreign victims were not immediately released. A fourth individual, Pattarawarin Pholtham (18), sustained serious injuries and was transported to a local hospital for treatment. The cause of the accident remains under investigation. -- ASEAN NOW 2024-03-29
  10. You post This thread is “ev in Thailand” so yeah, piss off somewhere else. " And then you post an non related EV in Thailand which is it be change the Title thread to Electric Cars which would include information about EV worldwide or leave this thread in its original format This is a discussion about EVs available or coming to Thailand. Not private imports but cars supported here with a dealer network. Are you interested in an EV as your next car if so which one and why? Do you know of any breaking news about EVs in Thailand? If so post here. This not a discussion about EVs v ICE cars - for that go here: https://aseannow.com/topic/1246109-ice-vs-ev-the-debate-thread/ This is not a discussion about Chinese cars - for that go here: https://aseannow.com/topic/1235921-why-so-many-chinese-cars-mg-cars-do-people-only-care-to-buy-something-cheap-whatever-is-the-quality/
  11. Sorry, should have read this post before asking a question you already answered. I find it unbelievable any Thai would dare say such a thing to a foreigner, much less someone who is with a middle aged Thai. Why would a 20 year old Thai man want a 40 year old woman?
  12. Will this be done at all Amphur (district) offices? There are 928 of these, if you include the 50 Bangkok Khets - Granted, I don't know if every one of them has a tax office, but I do know that every district in my upcountry province has one. Hiring a tax attorney for each will be quite a process, and for most, I'd imagine, would cost far more than any extra tax revenue that office will generate. I can see the Changwat (provincial) offices doing so, but I have been told in no uncertain terms by my provincial office that I must deal with the Amphur in which I live. in my case, this is a tiny room run by two women who only speak two words of English between them (one says "hello" and the other "goodbye"). I visit them around this time every year, and (under the previous rules at least) have never had to file a return, or been given anything in writing saying that I don't. Nothing changed on my visit this month, though we are still under the old rules, but I'm very interested to see what happens next year. Somehow, I can't see an English speaking tax attorney will be squeezed in with them.
  13. Lousy Carter. This is pretty funny, but only for those with a wry sense of humour.
  14. Baht. However the contributions are assembled over the years, the fact is that the OAP and PS pensions come out of our current tax takes each year. The Country has never been able to tuck it away for each of us in a bucket. It's not a private pension where broadly this stuff does happen. The wider view is that it's no good us complaining about it, had the Govt in any of these schemes tucked the money aside as we might have wished, then other taxes would have had to rise substantially.
  15. You were commenting on what happened on the day of Brexit vote and the exchange rate , you weren't commenting on the effects of Brexit after that date
  16. I agree, one of the three. That means that a person who is not Thai tax resident, ie spends less than 180 days per year in Thailand, is exempt from tax in that year but th exemption doesn't exist in the years when they are tax resident. Alternatively, if the funds remain overseas, they are not taxable in Thailand, it's only when they are remitted to Thailand that they become taxable here. That's the way it has always been, the current year issue not withstanding.
  17. Its wakey-up time. What type of plan is it, when you contribute a fixed amount and get a guaranteed income for life? You remember all those employer schemes that closed because they were unaffordable and unsustainable. Now you see it??
  18. Thai authorities conducted a raid on a suspected Chinese-led scam gang operating in southern Thailand, resulting in the arrest of approximately 90 individuals. The raid, which reportedly took place in Nakhon Si Thammarat, also led to the seizure of more than 2,000 pieces of evidence. According to reports, the apprehended group is believed to have been involved in a variety of fraudulent activities. These activities allegedly included stock market scams, creating fake hotel reservations, and facilitating illegal money transfers. The raid signifies a significant development in Thailand's fight against transnational criminal activity. The large number of arrests and the volume of evidence seized suggest a potentially extensive operation. It is expected that further investigations will reveal more details about the scope of the scam, including the methods used and the reach of the international network involved. The raid has also sparked concerns about the potential involvement of Chinese nationals in criminal activity within Thailand. While the details of the arrested individuals' nationalities are not yet confirmed, reports suggest a Chinese connection. This raises questions about the possible existence of wider Chinese-led criminal networks operating in Thailand and the measures that Thai authorities are taking to address this issue. Overall, the raid on the alleged Chinese-led scam gang highlights Thailand's ongoing efforts to combat transnational crime. The large scale of the operation and the focus on financial scams suggest that Thai authorities are prioritizing the disruption of these lucrative criminal activities. -- ASEAN NOW 2024-03-29
  19. She had have cottoned on when he turned up three hours for the first date
  20. Well Indians aren't Thai, so unless I knew a particular Indian happened to be a Thai citizen (there is a small community but it's tiny) I'd just speak in English. I'd find it odd that an Indian or anyone else would care what language you speak with them. I get mildly annoyed when Thais speak to me in English, but so few farang speak Thai, they just assume all farang are equally clueless.
  1. Load more activity