All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Saw this thread Just my 10c's worth and I'll make a start on my scooter tales here Until 2008 when living in Phuket I had long-term rentals, then got told of this Yamaha Fino 115cc being sold, Swedish man had bought it for his daughter while she holidayed here, and had been used only 4 months, 3800km, then stored. New battery, and removed a big screen and extra driving lights he'd added. Bought it for 30,000 baht. 2009 had it shipped to Sa Kaeo with Thai Post, lived there a year, many dirt and gravel roads, longest ride was 380km in a day (with pillion!). Moved 200km south to Chanthaburi, sold it in 2013 at 54,000km to a friend who still had it at 94,000km before selling. August 2013 bought another Fino, new 45,000 baht. Now 96,800km and as per picture, well looked after, has had every scheduled oil change and maintenance at Yamaha dealer, no accidents. At that age and mileage has no resale we'll keep it until it stops, daughter now uses it six days a week to/from work until starting uni in June. Biggest single repair expense has been a new fuel pump 2500 baht in November. December 2023 bought the Honda Click 160 ABS. 69,900 baht and so far 3200km. Three weeks ago we did a 180km highway ride, all ok. Considered an ADV 160 but my wife and daughter found it too big to manage. Scooter life is great. Before moving here I'd always had bigger bikes, all the Japanese brands, two Harleys, a Cagiva and two new Triumphs. Now an auto scooter! Such is life... As well as Honda and Yamaha dealers there's also Lambretta and Vespa dealers in the city, Vespas are very popular with the better-off uni students and I see the dealer organises monthly group rides around the province for 150 and 300cc owners. Happy riding.
  3. 17-152. Conspiracy to promote or prevent election. Any two or more persons who conspire to promote or prevent the election of any person to a public office by unlawful means and which conspiracy is acted upon by one or more of the parties thereto, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. Sounds like the law professor isn't up to speed on election crimes.
  4. Wan Lai festival in Pattaya overshadowed by widespread thefts Picture courtesy of Pattaya News The Wan Lai festival in Pattaya should be a time of joy and celebration, but unfortunately, it has been marred by the distressing news of rampant thefts. Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1325786-wan-lai-festival-in-pattaya-overshadowed-by-widespread-thefts/
  5. Just because your shovel is bigger, doesn’t mean that you should keep digging. How about you guys get back on topic. Have you guy notice how dated the Model 3 looks, and how much it looks like the Seal?
  6. No Tax sticker required, they are not a registered vehicle/no engine number, no frame number, no license plate, therefore no Por Ror Bor. That only comes when you pay the road tax, and is not a separate item you can just purchase.
  7. The Wan Lai festival in Pattaya should be a time of joy and celebration, but unfortunately, it has been marred by the distressing news of rampant thefts. The incident involving Sujira and her lost iPhone 14 is particularly disheartening, highlighting the vulnerability of attendees to opportunistic criminals amidst the festivities. It's concerning to hear that multiple thefts occurred on the same day, indicating a coordinated effort by perpetrators. The involvement of both Thai and foreign suspects adds another layer of complexity to the investigation for law enforcement. Sujira's emotional reaction reflects the deep impact that such incidents can have on individuals who are simply trying to enjoy a cultural event. Her call for swift action from the authorities is understandable, as the sense of security and trust in public spaces is essential for the well-being of communities. As the investigation progresses, it's crucial for both law enforcement and event organizers to implement measures to prevent similar occurrences in the future. Heightened security, increased vigilance, and public awareness campaigns on theft prevention could all contribute to enhancing safety at events like the Wan Lai festival. Ultimately, while authorities work to apprehend the culprits and improve security measures, it's also important for individuals to remain vigilant and take precautions to safeguard their belongings in crowded environments. By working together, both the community and law enforcement can strive to ensure that such incidents do not tarnish future celebrations. Picture courtesy of Pattaya News -- ASEAN NOW 2024-04-24 Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe
  8. Beware of the courts ....... you can be arrested, held and deported for DUI (unless on a married extension).
  9. "Beyond the confines of the courtroom, legal battles continued to unfold. A parallel hearing focused on allegations of Trump's violation of the judge's gag order, underscoring the contentious nature of the proceedings. Prosecutors sought sanctions against Trump for alleged breaches, highlighting the gravity of the situation. Meanwhile, Trump's legal team vehemently contested the allegations, setting the stage for a showdown over the boundaries of free speech and judicial oversight"
  10. In the interest of accuracy, it was Bernard Shaw: "The skies over Baghdad have been illuminated" The late Shaw was in a Baghdad hotel room with Peter Arnett as the first Gulf War began.
  11. As I stated above: "regarding self-preservation on Thai roads: when a 50kg electric scooter meets a 1200 kg car - the car always wins and the scooter driver ends up dead or injured." The same applies to people driving bicycles who believe they have "the same rights to the road as a car or truck." Of course they do - until they get hit.
  12. I buy weed from professional growers. And from what I hear on the You Tube, professional growers *never* accept clones from outside sources. And they all have stories of what happens when they failed to follow that rule. Clones with diseases or infestation such as "spider mites" can destroy an entire crop and force you to throw all grow media away and bleach down the entire grow room floors,walls, ceiling and ventilation vents. Lots of trouble. That being said if you personally visit someone's grow and can verify that the mothers are healthy and disease free, go ahead and take all the clones you want. Of course if you're growing outside on your patio, for example go ahead and buy those clones from unknown sources, who cares. Be sure to harden them off in the shade for a few days, that sun is killer here. 🌞
  13. Yes. we have all read and heard conflicting reports on the above matter with no clear instructions but today 24th April see a Zoom meeting with a couple of Tax experts at 5 pm time tonight. We all know Dave Cameron of the UK Government has been over from the so-called UK government and has been heavily involved with this. Cut to the chase all pensions and that including the minuscule UK State Pension and the transfer of monies to Thailand are deemed to be taxable income. We all know that the UK exempt tax for income tax is bout 12,750 pounds. In Thailand, the threshold is these:_ a/ 1 to 150k Bant is Exempt b/ 151K to 300K Income Tax is 5% c/ 301k to 500k Income Tax is 10% d/ 501K to 750k Income Tax is 15% e/ 751k to 1 Mill Income Tax is 20% There are others of course but most will not be in those brackets. Many of us and I have enquired about the addresses of the Tax Office but not one reply and for many pf us we have no tax reference and guess we just have to wait and see. I have not discussed it with my Thai wife as yet as like to keep things and let me do the worrying and let them chase us? One thing is for certain we are going to lose more money and yes less money for our Thai families to live on. Don't the Authorities not know us ex-pats provide the bulk of the money but same same throughout the world but anyway they can get us poor peasants to pay more, they will and more than likely going in their own back pockets and huge bank balances. One question I was asked by a so-called Tax expert is how old am I and am I married? Many of our spouse do not work for a company and do not pay income tax but are they entitled to the first 150k Baht and can be added to their married spouse and do not think so but a strange question to ask. They always state can give you an estimate on the tax we might have to pay but no answers yet and yes it still seems no one knows too much. So we keep quiet and let them chase us and surprised Immigration not asked on our 90-day reporting but stress it is not on the Statute book yet and from 1st January 2024 supposedly. Cheers all
  14. And just in time to coincide with Mr. T's miracle cure.
  15. Ironically, David Pecker is testifying about making up stories that were published to help the Trump campaign. Do you have any thoughts about such fraudulent news stories that helped Donald Trump?
  16. Yes, he is, If you behave in the manor he did at that junction, it will be only a matter of time, before you go to the hospital. dead or alive. you obviously have never used that junction, or you would keep your stupid mouth shut. Transman.
  17. So I put in all the paperwork yesterday at Bangkok Region 2 head office. No problems but told to come back on the 7th May to pick up the company tax residence certificate. I'm not sure if this is the R.O.22 certificate or it has a different number. This is a document from the Revenue Department in English to be shown to foreign companies or tax authorities that you pay taxes in Thailand. I will post more after I have picked it up next month. At the moment I suspect this is only needed if you or your company claims tax relief in the US under the Thailand-US tax treaty. This can reduce US withholding taxes on us sales from 30% to 5%. Not all countries have this type of tax treaty with the US and those that do have various set tax levels. The UK for instance has a 0% US withholding tax. To use the Thailand-US tax treaty you do have to jump through some hoops with the IRS in the US, but it may be easier now as I did it quite a few years ago. The IRS will issue you with EIN tax number once you are accepted. So far it is only Google who have asked for this new certificate of tax residency to back up the information the IRS already has. The chances are that other US companies will follow this line. For me it is mainly used for online book selling companies. We do know that the government is looking at taxing foreigners here who are earning income from abroad so more people may be caught up in the need for a document like this. The tax residency certificates can be supplied to either individuals or companies, the stipulation being that you are paying Thai taxes. As I find out more I will add to this thread so the next person that needs the information can find it. I should add that I suspect this is part of the KYC (Know Your Customer) idea which I think comes from the US government to make corporations take the responsibility of stopping the likes of money laundering and tax avoidance. I may be totally wrong on this.
  18. I'm wrong! I've just read the gold price results from Chinese retail investors. https://www.mining.com/web/golds-record-setting-rally-may-have-its-roots-in-chinese-frenzy/#:~:text=Stock image.,explanation may lie in China.
  19. Russian Cheap Sergys avoiding the war the government are trying to fill the gap left by European's no longer interested in coming to over hyped Thailand anymore.
  20. I have half a ream of signed paperwork by the Tessabarn to say if my wife dies before me they can't kick me out of the house also the yearly tax on my house is my name solely on the property (not the land)
  21. Sometimes on Blitzers coverage of war events it looks like he is planning the war strategy.
  22. Apparently, the answer to why gold price is rising and who is buying, is, the Chinese retail market, the small guys, not the big ones. https://www.mining.com/web/golds-record-setting-rally-may-have-its-roots-in-chinese-frenzy/#:~:text=Stock image.,explanation may lie in China.
  1. Load more activity