All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Crew Rescued Amidst Yacht Fire Near Pattaya Coast File photo for reference only. Creative Commons License via Google A yacht recently refurbished unexpectedly caught fire during a test run off Pattaya's Na Jomtien beach. However, the boat’s three crew members were rescued without injury, confirmed Amarin TV on the evening of April 26. Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1326027-crew-rescued-amidst-yacht-fire-near-pattaya-coast/
  3. A yacht recently refurbished unexpectedly caught fire during a test run off Pattaya's Na Jomtien beach. However, the boat’s three crew members were rescued without injury, confirmed Amarin TV on the evening of April 26. Upon noticing the growing fire on the yacht named Coco, with thick black smoke visible across the Pattaya coast, local authorities including the Sattahip Marine Police, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office, and Pattaya Harbour Office were alerted at 3 p.m. Despite rescue boats immediately scurrying to douse the flames, they were unable to extinguish the fire within half an hour. Nevertheless, they successfully evacuated all three crew members aboard the burning yacht. The vessel, registered as 492300301, is 13.25 metres long and 4.10 metres wide. According to the yacht's captain, the fire broke out on their boat's test run following its repair. Flames sprung from the exhaust pipe while it was sailing off Na Jomtien beach. Although the crew attempted to control the fire, it quickly spread across the yacht, prompting an urgent call for help. In response to the incident, the Pattaya Harbour Office has banned the yacht's use and summoned its owner for an inquiry. Top File photo for reference only. Creative Commons License via Google -- 2024-04-27 Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe
  4. Voice TV, a Pro-Thaksin Channel, Shuts Down Creative Commons License via Google Voice TV, famously known for its pro-Thaksin stance, announced a surprising closure after being operational for 15 years. Its unexpected shutdown is set to impact approximately 100 staff members and journalists. The sudden news has left many questioning the cause, as no immediate explanation was given. Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1326026-voice-tv-a-pro-thaksin-channel-shuts-down/
  5. So this has me wondering whether this site is promoting the same far right ideological nonsense as this Rupert Murdoch's Wall Street Journal opinion piece??? Has it been taken over by Jomtien's own Foghorn Leghorn? Short answer to the OP's question is anti-apartheid/genocide heros of mine.
  6. Are you using it as an English term - why not a stew?
  7. Stewing is a moist heat, slow cooking method, where small uniform pieces of meat and/or vegetables are cooked in liquid, and then served in the resulting gravy.stew is a cooking method - Stewing is a moist heat, slow cooking method, where small uniform pieces of meat and/or vegetables are cooked in liquid, and then served in the resulting gravy.
  8. Voice TV, famously known for its pro-Thaksin stance, announced a surprising closure after being operational for 15 years. Its unexpected shutdown is set to impact approximately 100 staff members and journalists. The sudden news has left many questioning the cause, as no immediate explanation was given. Launched in 2008, Voice TV started as a specialized satellite channel and extended its services to digital terrestrial platforms in 2014. In 2019, after undergoing financial struggles, it abandoned its digital TV platform, returning to its roots as a satellite channel, and streaming content online via YouTube and Facebook. Voice TV is renowned for supporting the Shinawatra family, leading to stirring debates. The channel's former anchors, including high-profile names such as Pannika Wanich and Piyabutr Saengkanokkul, switched their careers from journalism to politics. In other developments, the Supreme Administrative Court dismissed the hefty 2.8 billion baht lawsuit against the iTV Public Company, filed by the Prime Minister’s Office secretariat. The lawsuit was related to a joint agreement with Shin Corp to set up a TV station employing UHF spectrum, a point of contention since 2007. General Sittichai Makkunchorn, spokesperson for the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission, however, called for responsible broadcasting following a public uproar on the media's exposure of violent content. The call comes after a Thailand domestic violence case where a man killed his wife was widely covered, sparking conversations around ethics in broadcasting such material. Creative Commons License via Google -- 2024-04-27 Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe
  9. A member asked in another thread (now unfortunately closed): "please explain how the Thai tax authorities can differentiate between income and savings in an Australian bank account". The answer is, they can't and they won't, it's not their role to do that, that's your job! YOU have to declare on a tax return, exactly what the funds represent, savings or income. If you say savings, and only you know, you must be prepared to prove that fact with documentation, if subsequently asked. @Lacessit
  10. Yes, years ago around covid lockdown I'd jog down Jomtien Beach road, I'd jog to the end, then around the corner, but like you say there's a big pack of nasty dogs. Good to avoid if jogging or bicycle riding. BTW, I liked going past that condo car park on your right heading east (I think it's the only one), I'd see a few Porsche's in there on occasions.
  11. to continue: Thailand Live Saturday 27 April 2024 https://aseannow.com/topic/1326024-thailand-live-saturday-27-april-2024/
  12. Of course, any prosecution of a politician is described by the defense as a politically motivated witch hunt. I know if the cops come after me, I'll be shouting the same. Pee! Pee! Pee!
  13. Angry reactions as foreign couple's car crash leaves injured rider abandoned in Phuket A video circulating on social media showing a foreign couple neglecting a motorcyclist they hit with their luxurious car in Phuket, Thailand, has led to public outrage. The incident occurred on April 25, when the couple, driving a white Mercedes Benz, made a right turn without signaling, causing a collision with an oncoming motorcyclist. Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1326002-angry-reactions-as-foreign-couples-car-crash-leaves-injured-rider-abandoned-in-phuket/
  14. Foreigners resident in Thailand are beginning to feel a financial strain due to the UK government's pension freeze policy. Three British individuals have experienced this challenge, providing insights about a difficult reality that contrasts sharply with the country's sunny appeal. Frozen pension policy turns British expat's dream into a nightmare Full Story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1325999-frozen-pension-policy-turns-british-expats-dream-into-a-nightmare/ Picture: Creative Common License via Google
  15. Funny you mention that. I was going to include it, but it seems they've flattened most of them out. I think it was the electric company or maybe city hall running lighting cables across the road and just not finishing the job immediately, maybe letting the tarmac set. They were a nightmare on a bike. Black, invisible and quite a nasty jolt. I quite enjoy my 2am trips down to Pu pen and then left up to Sukhumvit past the nasty biting dogs. I'm always amazed at the condos down there, and on the Na Jomtien end of Second Rd. Look like quality.
  16. Crikey, why do you need a police red box? Do the cops visit you once a day? I thought those police red boxes were for dangerous, problem areas.
  17. Wall Street Journal opinion piece Rockefeller and Soros grants are subsidizing those who disrupt college campuses. https://archive.ph/ZZFJs
  18. Today
  19. I am not British but I made a visit to Thailand again after a long pandemic break. Issues that come to my mind, many that have been mentioned several times in the previous posts: - Stifling hot weather, getting hotter each year. I argued some time ago that the climate simply is prohibitively hot for many activities and was told there is nothing wrong about it. I would like to have same stuff as those people. - Massive pollution, (plastic) trash, grime everywhere, lack of appealing architecture, grey, ugly concrete behind every corner. Most of Bangkok is simply a dump, there is no way escaping that. Some cities slightly better than others but not by a wide margin. - Dangerous and stressful, clogged traffic both intercity and urban. Deficient or missing walk paths. Extremely bad for children and disabled. Claiming Bangkok is a world class city or has wordclass infrastructure is laughable. - Too many Chinese, apparently also too many Russians in certain cities that I wouldn't visit. - Nature is ok but has nothing particularly impressive and is overdeveloped compared to rest of the world. - Not cheap anymore. If it was dirt cheap some of the faults could be overlooked but there are more affordable countries even in Europe nowadays with more things to see and do. Thailand might be cheap compared to Californias, New Yorks, Tokyos and Londons of this world but overall still offers poor value for money. - Personally it bothers me to see armies of people working some menial jobs that pay next to nothing as it shows how little the nation is progressing, instead preferring to maintain a population of servants. The only two saving graces of Thailand that I can think of are that it has its best weather during the coldest months of Northern Hemisphere and the availability of women. I don't think I will be in a hurry to return soon.
  20. I've been pulled twice in the last few weeks. Thank heavens I went dry years ago. They put the straw on me the first time. The second, I was weeded out from a whole queue of bikes and cars. "Dink mai?". "Who me, guv?". "Ok, you go". And go I did. Gotta love the police here! On a separate note. I was in my lawyer's office today. A conveyancing job. But we got talking. She says every day she has to go to court to defend foreigners, at least 2 or 3 a day. She doesn't do criminal, just civil, usually claims and counter claims after RTAs. D and D. Drink driving. All the stuff you read about here. Scary thought though. I figured fear is a man's best friend. She agreed. Arrested, held for 21 days, passport withheld, visa expires, and so it goes on. It's all your problem.
  21. Oh, is that how you spell it, I've been mispronouncing it. Very yummy, that and Massaman
  22. Recently they've put in annoying little speed bumps, every few hundred metres all along the road.
  23. Consider some of the things Fox omits. They partially covered the 1/6 hearings, and when the committee showed footage of the riot on the big screen Fox intentionally blurred it out. Many of the 1/6 MAGA fans have never seen the police being assaulted, the occupying of the offices and chambers, or anything else other than the "well-behaved tourists." They didn't see the noose prepared for Pence. Eyes wide shut. If suppressing news gets deemed to be a legal offense Fox is going to be hiring a lot of lawyers.
  1. Load more activity