All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Not that I know of but recently I was told on an Indo. forum that it is not a rumour.
  3. Language evolves. 'Whinging Pom' can be used in a playful manner but the origins of the phrase (probably) date to the early '60s when it was used in a derogatory manner to describe British immigrants (the £10 Poms?) who were constantly complaining and did not mix with the locals. So an example of a lack of integration and hardly "reaching". Common interests obviously aid integration. I'm no expert re Australian immigration requirements but I'd be very surprised if those applying for permanent residency in Australia (other than refugees) weren't required to be able to speak English. What events/ changes to visa requirements have caused Australia to lose control of their immigration system?
  4. A good friend of mine works 3 weeks on (offshore UK), 3 weeks off. He travels to Thailand from UK every 3 weeks for around 17 days on a METV. Applies to UK Embassy within days of current METV expiring. Has been doing this for last three years and never an issue when applying (in fact, he said that the process has now got significantly easier with less documentation needing to be submitted).
  5. Yes, so my wife tells me, it is assessable income less allowances.
  6. There aren't that many licensed optometrists in Chiang Mai, there is one who works for one of the big chain hospitals who is dreadful. Another is the owner at Vision Center who is extremely skilled and probably the best qualified in the North but again, you are expected to buy lenses from him. The people you've been talking to in the shops almost certainly aren't optometrists, they are sales people who know how to use technology to calculate prescriptions. If those people say they are optometrists, ask to see their license and see what happens. For me, I'd go to Vision Center every time.
  7. if she has land have her sign it over to the daughter as collateral. otherwise scram.
  8. What assets (if any) does she own? House and land? How much monthly income?
  9. No, it's a woman who is in car rental business and know her things. I shared her FB post.
  10. Opticians should not be providing prescriptions period. They fit glasses. Optometrists can test and prescribe but are few and far between in Thailand as is a new profession. Ophthalmologists are full doctors and can provide surgery as well as testing. Here in Thailand I would advise going to where you do not want to go - a hospital - where most of these professionals work and can provide prescription without expectation of buying from them. That said some optometrists in private practice will provide such a service for a fee - I used one years ago on basis needed for US Drivers License renewal.
  11. They can figure out that someone who never post any evidence to backup their claims is a BS merchant. I am not an EV evangelist. I have said many times that EVs are not for everyone. Someone like yourself who has yet to master the ability to use Google to check their facts before posting, well let’s just say that you would find EV charging apps a bit of a challenge.
  12. Who says God answers prayers? When you start defining what God is and how God should behave, that's where you run into problems. Einstein summarized it best. He said sth like "I want to understand the mind of God". To claim that nothing created the universe is dumb. Even Einstein understands there is sth that created the universise, and called it God. But it's the details that we simply don't understand. People have invented things like "God answers your prayers". We simply don't know much about how God operates. We're just guessing and making things up because we don't like being in the dark and not understanding how things work.
  13. the guy has no soul, no heart and no brain, what to expect from him??? ... not much Ukraine-Russia war – live: Moscow may have used new guided bomb to attack Kharkiv injuring 19 https://au.yahoo.com/news/ukraine-russia-war-live-putin-121324773.html Putin looks to exploit Moscow ISIS-K attack https://au.yahoo.com/news/putin-looks-exploit-moscow-terror-090000441.html
  14. They all do, I went there with my daughter, and we got two prescriptions just to check and verify both the same.
  15. You must be careful there isn't a queue of family with debts. These people know what they are doing when they, borrow, gamble, whatever. The farangy is looked on as a Knight in shining armour, with his saddlebags full of gold. I would forget the hangers on, they will get the message, unless you do have saddlebags full of gold......
  16. What do you think really happened with Bob? Here are some options: He never left and is still in Pattaya. He's moved in with GammaGlobulin. He moved back to the U.K. He moved to Cambodia. He moved to the Philippines. He moved to the Dominican Republic. He moved to Columbia. He moved to Mexico. He moved to Spain. He moved to Portugal. He went for sexual reassignment surgery. He went to go stock shelves in Walmart. He went to join the Taliban. He went to work in a zoo washing elephants. He went to do volunteer work in Gaza. He went to join the Ukrainian army. He went to join a cabaret show. He went to follow the Trump campaign trail. He went to join the monkhood. He checked himself into rehab. He went somewhere else.
  17. Refering solely to your claim that younger working guys are the 'real expats'. What's the difference? Neither workers nor retirees are likely to hold permanent residence. Well actually I'll tell you what the difference is - most (not all) of the younger foreign guys that I've met in Thailand have/had no plans on staying permanently, they've either been transferred in by their company short term or are on a 'working adventure'. Going purely on the ones I know/knew well, I'd guess their average stay was 4 to 5 years. You also seem to think that older foreign guys in Thailand are retirees. I can't speak for Bangkok or Pattaya but in my neck of the woods I'd say its 50/50 - I know quite a few 'older' guys that are either working in the area or have a business there. Many of the retirees have lived in the area for 20 years +, have a family, house and a full life in Thailand. So who exactly, are the real expats?
  1. Load more activity