All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. A member asked in another thread (now unfortunately closed): "please explain how the Thai tax authorities can differentiate between income and savings in an Australian bank account". The answer is, they can't and they won't, it's not their role to do that, that's your job! YOU have to declare on a tax return, exactly what the funds represent, savings or income. If you say savings, and only you know, you must be prepared to prove that fact with documentation, if subsequently asked. @Lacessit
  3. Yes, years ago around covid lockdown I'd jog down Jomtien Beach road, I used to jog around the corner, but like you say there's a big pack of nasty dogs. Good to avoid if jogging or bicycle riding. BTW, I liked going past that condo car park on your right heading east (I think it's the only one), I'd see a few Porsche's in there on occasions.
  4. to continue: Thailand Live Saturday 27 April 2024 https://aseannow.com/topic/1326024-thailand-live-saturday-27-april-2024/
  5. Of course, any prosecution of a politician is described by the defense as a politically motivated witch hunt. I know if the cops come after me, I'll be shouting the same. Pee! Pee! Pee!
  6. Angry reactions as foreign couple's car crash leaves injured rider abandoned in Phuket A video circulating on social media showing a foreign couple neglecting a motorcyclist they hit with their luxurious car in Phuket, Thailand, has led to public outrage. The incident occurred on April 25, when the couple, driving a white Mercedes Benz, made a right turn without signaling, causing a collision with an oncoming motorcyclist. Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1326002-angry-reactions-as-foreign-couples-car-crash-leaves-injured-rider-abandoned-in-phuket/
  7. Foreigners resident in Thailand are beginning to feel a financial strain due to the UK government's pension freeze policy. Three British individuals have experienced this challenge, providing insights about a difficult reality that contrasts sharply with the country's sunny appeal. Frozen pension policy turns British expat's dream into a nightmare Full Story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1325999-frozen-pension-policy-turns-british-expats-dream-into-a-nightmare/ Picture: Creative Common License via Google
  8. Funny you mention that. I was going to include it, but it seems they've flattened most of them out. I think it was the electric company or maybe city hall running lighting cables across the road and just not finishing the job immediately, maybe letting the tarmac set. They were a nightmare on a bike. Black, invisible and quite a nasty jolt. I quite enjoy my 2am trips down to Pu pen and then left up to Sukhumvit past the nasty biting dogs. I'm always amazed at the condos down there, and on the Na Jomtien end of Second Rd. Look like quality.
  9. Crikey, why do you need a police red box? Do they visit once a day? I thought those police red boxes were for dangerous, problem areas.
  10. Wall Street Journal opinion piece Rockefeller and Soros grants are subsidizing those who disrupt college campuses. https://archive.ph/ZZFJs
  11. I am not British but I made a visit to Thailand again after a long pandemic break. Issues that come to my mind, many that have been mentioned several times in the previous posts: - Stifling hot weather, getting hotter each year. I argued some time ago that the climate simply is prohibitively hot for many activities and was told there is nothing wrong about it. I would like to have same stuff as those people. - Massive pollution, (plastic) trash, grime everywhere, lack of appealing architecture, grey, ugly concrete behind every corner. Most of Bangkok is simply a dump, there is no way escaping that. Some cities slightly better than others but not by a wide margin. - Dangerous and stressful, clogged traffic both intercity and urban. Deficient or missing walk paths. Extremely bad for children and disabled. Claiming Bangkok is a world class city or has wordclass infrastructure is laughable. - Too many Chinese, apparently also too many Russians in certain cities that I wouldn't visit. - Nature is ok but has nothing particularly impressive and is overdeveloped compared to rest of the world. - Not cheap anymore. If it was dirt cheap some of the faults could be overlooked but there are more affordable countries even in Europe nowadays with more things to see and do. Thailand might be cheap compared to Californias, New Yorks, Tokyos and Londons of this world but overall still offers poor value for money. - Personally it bothers me to see armies of people working some menial jobs that pay next to nothing as it shows how little the nation is progressing, instead preferring to maintain a population of servants. The only two saving graces of Thailand that I can think of are that it has its best weather during the coldest months of Northern Hemisphere and the availability of women. I don't think I will be in a hurry to return soon.
  12. I've been pulled twice in the last few weeks. Thank heavens I went dry years ago. They put the straw on me the first time. The second, I was weeded out from a whole queue of bikes and cars. "Dink mai?". "Who me, guv?". "Ok, you go". And go I did. Gotta love the police here! On a separate note. I was in my lawyer's office today. A conveyancing job. But we got talking. She says every day she has to go to court to defend foreigners, at least 2 or 3 a day. She doesn't do criminal, just civil, usually claims and counter claims after RTAs. D and D. Drink driving. All the stuff you read about here. Scary thought though. I figured fear is a man's best friend. She agreed. Arrested, held for 21 days, passport withheld, visa expires, and so it goes on. It's all your problem.
  13. Oh, is that how you spell it, I've been mispronouncing it. Very yummy, that and Massaman
  14. Recently they've put in annoying little speed bumps, every few hundred metres all along the road.
  15. Consider some of the things Fox omits. They partially covered the 1/6 hearings, and when the committee showed footage of the riot on the big screen Fox intentionally blurred it out. Many of the 1/6 MAGA fans have never seen the police being assaulted, the occupying of the offices and chambers, or anything else other than the "well-behaved tourists." They didn't see the noose prepared for Pence. Eyes wide shut. If suppressing news gets deemed to be a legal offense Fox is going to be hiring a lot of lawyers.
  16. 18 tonnes of speed! Could be they've avoided 1,000s of brake failures.
  17. TUG - I know you would have something to say here. Before I get to educating you. I have to make a remark on one thing you said. About the Supreme Court throwing shade Trump's way. Who is getting all the shade? Corrupt Joe Biden and his millions from China and Ukraine to every member of his family. Nothing done. 51 CIA managers siding with Biden saying Hunter's laptop was a Russian Hoax, sweetheart deal to Hunter Biden, 17% of the voters for Biden said that had they known about the laptop they would not have voted for crooked Joe. Garland sits on Hunter not paying taxes on $3 million earned in Ukraine, letting the Statute of Limitations to expire, Joe Biden not pay his taxes in 2017 setting up two S corporations to keep from paying his Medicare taxes. 20 LLCs set up with million flowing from China where there were no employees, no executive officers, no product produce or sold to the Chinese and Trump may get a little shade from the Supreme Court? Do you even know the BS you are spreading? You and the other Leftists. What are some of these underhanded stuff that Trump has done. I have been over 3 years trying to find out from Biden lovers like you and so far not one person has given an answer on the Left. Be the first. Disgraceful behavior from Trump? What the hell is an open border, letting in terrorist from all corners of the world? Joe lies about everything. Job created, inflation that he caused is coming down, $1 trillion of new debt every 100 days to keep all the Leftist organizations well funded, pays of school loans when the Supreme Courts says he does not have the authority. Buy votes which is illegal. Paid off debts of corrupt Democrat unions and Democrat run cities and states. The corruption of Biden and his administration are too numerous to list. Executive orders coming out of his as when ever he finds a new way to harm America. He has all of Obama's people in his administration and picks the most radical people he can find for the Supreme Court. He is Obama's third and I pray he does not become the 4th. He is keeping a Presidential nominee tied up in the courts when he should be out there drawing the crowds that Biden can only dream about. Trump can only be tried in DC, NY, GA where they know Trump can not get a fair trial. In DC 95% of the people voted Democrat in 2020. All the judges from Garland down to the courtrooms are Democrat. Jack Smith was supposed to be approved by the Senate but the hell with that. They just put him in a position with unlimited Prosecution powers and you have to balls to say, Trump may get a bit of shade given to him. Your way off base.
  18. All went well for me. Was able to set up the app and online. The only complaint I have, is I cannot convert USD in my FCD acct to my THB acct online. I went to main office at Sukhumvit, and they said cannot, that i have to go in to the bank each time I want to convert. I was able to convert online with Citi. Also, Citi didn't charge me any wire fees. UOB charged me a 500B incoming wire fee. I won't be making as many wire transfers as I used to make. At least my US bank doesn't charge me a wire fee due to my relationship level.
  19. I haven't followed this case closely but I remember that some police officials were quoted in the news saying that Big Joke was involved in an illegal gambling racket. Has evidence of that been submitted to a public procecutor and has a court of law found him guilty?
  20. Concerning door seals. The Samsung machine, listed above, uses a very strong vacuum to securely pull the door tightly shut. Almost impossible to get the door open for the first two seconds after closing it. A very nice feature which probably leads to higher efficiency. And, it seems to me that the walls of this refrigerator are quite thick, due to the thickness of the insulation. It would be nice if the manufacturer would provide more comprehensive data about such considerations. Insulating characteristics of refrigerators are just as important/more important as EER ratings. But, then, how to obtain this data for a refrigerator?
  21. No. But, I am not the one to ask. I rarely see Farang walking, except on YT. There are no Farang around here. There is one restaurant about 1.5 kilometers from here that can prepare Phanaeng Gai (chicken). It's OK, but not great, and I would say not very authentic, either. I like the flavor, but not Phanaeng, really. Just the name of the dish, on the menu, is Phanaeng. So, if Phanaeng is he best stew in the world, then what is being served around my house is not the best, and also not stew. I would pay extra for the real deal.
  22. Hi Sheryl thank you for reply completely understand what you are saying i will explain to my doctor in uk see if I can get one of other thia brands in uk don't fancy change to another medication thanks for your help
  1. Load more activity