BANGKOK 24 April 2019 05:28

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. & then on to be a 'working mouse' - poor bugger. Ok, seriously, the comment by Impulse hits the nail on the head. The cost of some Cancer drugs is stupendously high, & for Thailand to perhaps find a compound that makes a difference, would be marvellous. Indeed, using Cannabinoids for Chemo sickness is supposed to be effective. Rather than taking yet another tablet - probably produced by the same Pharmaceutical company.
  3. Islamic State claims Sri Lanka blasts, as government says probe making progress By Sanjeev Miglani and Alasdair Pal A suspected suicide bomber carries a backpack on a street in Negombo, Sri Lanka April 21, 2019 in this still image taken from a CCTV handout footage of Easter Sunday attacks released on April 23, 2019. CCTV/Siyatha News via REUTERS COLOMBO (Reuters) - Islamic State claimed responsibility on Tuesday for the bomb attacks in SriLanka that killed 321 people in what officials believe was retaliation for assaults on mosques in New Zealand. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096715-islamic-state-claims sri lanka blasts-as-government-says-probe-making-progress/
  4. I hear Rees-Mogg and his chums at the ERG want to change Tory Party leader selection rules so that they can have a second vote on who should be PM. They apparently don’t like the result of the first vote.
  5. Islamic State claims Sri Lanka blasts, as government says probe making progress By Sanjeev Miglani and Alasdair Pal A suspected suicide bomber carries a backpack on a street in Negombo, Sri Lanka April 21, 2019 in this still image taken from a CCTV handout footage of Easter Sunday attacks released on April 23, 2019. CCTV/Siyatha News via REUTERS COLOMBO (Reuters) - Islamic State claimed responsibility on Tuesday for the bomb attacks in SriLanka that killed 321 people in what officials believe was retaliation for assaults on mosques in New Zealand. The claim, issued through the group's AMAQ news agency, was made after Sri Lanka said two domestic Islamist groups with suspected links to foreign militants were suspected to have been behind the attacks at three churches and four hotels. About 500 people were also wounded in the bombings. Three sources told Reuters that Sri Lankan intelligence officials had been warned hours earlier by India that attacks by Islamists were imminent. It was not clear what action, if any, was taken. President Maithripala Sirisena said he would change the heads of the defence forces following their failure to act on the intelligence. "I will completely restructure the police and security forces in the coming weeks. I expect to change the heads of defence establishments within the next 24 hours," Sirisena said in an address to the nation. "The security officials who got the intelligence report from a foreign nation did not share it with me. I have decided to take stern action against these officials." Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe told a news conference investigators were making progress in identifying the perpetrators. "We will be following up on IS claims, we believe there may be some links," he said. The government has said at least seven suicide bombers were involved. In a statement, Islamic State named what it said were the seven attackers who carried out the attacks. It gave no further evidence to support its claim of responsibility. The hardline militant group, who have lost the territory they once held in Syria and Iraq to Western-backed forces, later released a video on Amaq showing eight assailants, seven of whom were masked, pledging allegiance to Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. Reuters could not independently verify the claim and authorities did not officially identify the assailants. Earlier, junior minister for defence Ruwan Wijewardene told parliament two Sri Lankan Islamist groups - the National Thawheed Jama'ut and Jammiyathul Millathu Ibrahim - were responsible for the blasts, which detonated during Easter services and as hotels served breakfast. The first six bombs - on three churches and three luxury hotels - exploded within 20 minutes of each other. Two more explosions - at a downmarket hotel and a house in a suburb of the capital, Colombo - took place in the early afternoon. Wickremesinghe said the militants had tried to attack another hotel but had failed. Sri Lankan government and military sources said a Syrian had been detained among 40 people being questioned over the bombs. Most of the dead and wounded were Sri Lankans, although government officials said 38 foreigners were killed. That included British, U.S., Australian, Turkish, Indian, Chinese, Danish, Dutch and Portuguese nationals. The U.N. Children's Fund said 45 children were among the dead. Footage on CNN showed what it said was one of the bombers wearing a heavy backpack. The man patted a child on the head before entering the Gothic-style St. Sebastian church in Katuwapitiya, north of Colombo. Dozens were killed there. GRAPHIC: Sri Lanka bombings - 'RETALIATION' Wijewardene said investigators believed revenge for the March 15 killing of 50 people at two mosques during Friday prayers in the New Zealand city of Christchurch was the motive. "The initial investigation has revealed that this was in retaliation for the New Zealand mosque attack," he said. He did not elaborate on why authorities believed there was a link to the New Zealand bloodshed, unleashed by a lone gunman. The bombs brought a shattering end to a relative calm that had existed in Buddhist-majority country since a civil war against mostly Hindu, ethnic Tamil separatists ended 10 years ago, and raised fears of a return to sectarian violence. Sri Lanka's 22 million people include minority Christians, Muslims and Hindus. Until now, Christians had largely managed to avoid the worst of the island's conflict and communal tensions. Pressure is likely to mount on the government over why effective action had not been taken in response to warnings from India about a possible attack on churches by the little-known National Thawheed Jama'ut group. Indian intelligence officers contacted their Sri Lankan counterparts two hours before the first attack to warn of a specific threat on churches, one Sri Lankan defence source and an Indian government source said. Another Sri Lankan defence source said a warning came "hours before" the first strike. Sri Lanka's presidency and the Indian foreign ministry both did not respond to requests for comment on the warnings. A government minister had said on Monday that Wickremesinghe had not been informed about a warning and had been shut out of top security meetings because of a feud with President Maithripala Sirisena. Wickremesinghe dismissed any suggestion that the rift with the president had hampered coordination on security, saying although they had had differences they had been thrashed out. Sirisena fired Wickremesinghe last year only to be forced to reinstate him under pressure from the Supreme Court. FEARS OVER FUNERALS Tuesday was a day of mourning and more than 1,000 mourners gathered for a mass funeral at St. Sebastian church in the coastal city of Negombo, just north of the capital, Colombo, where more than 100 parishioners were killed on Sunday. The ceremony began with prayers and singing under a tent put up in the courtyard of the church, which had most of its roof torn away by the blast. Pall-bearers wearing white carried in wooden coffins one by one, followed by distraught relatives. Cardinal Malcolm Ranjith, the Archbishop of Sri Lanka who led the service, urged other churches to delay memorials amid fears that more bombers may be at large. Security forces were on alert for more attack and the government imposed emergency rule giving police extensive powers to detain and interrogate suspects. An overnight curfew has also been in place since Sunday. The government also said it had blocked online messaging services to stop the spread of inflammatory rumours that it feared could incite communal clashes. The FBI is assisting Sri Lankan authorities with their investigation. (Reporting by Sanjeev Miglani and Alasdair Pal; Additional reporting by Ranga Sirilal, Joe Brock, Mark Hosenball and Kieran Murray in WASHINGTON, Lena Masri and Omar Fahmy in CAIRO and Stella Qiu and Ryan Woo in BEIJING; Writing by Robert Birsel; Editing by Michael Perry, Paul Tait and Alex Richardson and Angus MacSwan) -- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-24 2019-04-23T142716Z_1_LOV000KY3ANUD_RTRMADV_STREAM-2000-16X9-MP4_SRI-LANKA-BLASTS-UPDATE.MP4
  6. Israel to name new town on Golan after Trump: Netanyahu FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump shakes hands with Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as they pose on the West Wing colonnade in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, U.S., March 25, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis/File Photo U.S. President Donald Trump attends the 2019 White House Easter Egg Roll on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, U.S., April 22, 2019. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096714-israel to-name-new-town-on-golan-after-trump-netanyahu/?tab=comments#comment-14072787
  7. Phuket residents flame Governor over water shortages By Waranya Prompinpiras The residents have been without mains water supply since Mar 21, and today heavily criticised the Governor and other officials for the lack of action in resolving the water-shortage situation. Photo: Waranya Prompinpiras PHUKET: Just hours after the Phuket Governor this morning (Apr 23) held a press conference to specifically explain that Phuket is not suffering a drought crisis, about 80 residents from Rassada staged a protest in front of Phuket Provincial Hall over the lack of water supply to their community. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096712-phuket-residents-flame-governor-over-water-shortages/
  8. Thaksin given 3-year imprisonment for Exim Bank’s loan to Myanmar The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Office has sentenced fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to three years in prison without suspension after finding him guilty of malfeasance in office for approving a 4-billion-baht low interest loan from the Thai Exim Bank to Myanmar for the purchase of telecom equipment and services from his family-owned company, Shin Satellite. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096711-thaksin-given-3-year-imprisonment-for-exim-bank’s-loan-to-myanmar/
  9. Yeah harsh maybe but only by a bit COUNTLEESS 4 5 6 touchs just slowed it down till we were predictable and VV MANAGABLE and thats what they did to us they sort of contrrolled the game, AND the spark the fewer touchs would have given our game unpredictablity and them more probs. The intensiřy we played, they really wernt troubled nearly enuf think ,, they were set up sayin COME ON and we just didnt . 3 maybe 4times we REALLY workes the keeper in 90 miins v...poor sayin that their was some really beautiful lookin almost poetic flowing moves early on..SO pleasing on the eye. jansenn bac on the park/fold GOOD MOVE by poch sort of shit goes down well with players, never say never .. always a way bac . good thing for players AND poch to have in the tank. double nice to give the spammers a spankin.. shame they aint goin down. And then maybe nick a few of their best as squad/fringe players..
  10. With a bit of luck it will rain and ‘Private Bone Spurs’ will stay in his room.
  11. Authorities backtrack on move to tax interest from bank deposits The Revenue Department has withdrawn a much-criticized demand for bank depositors to provide written consent to allow their banks to deduct tax on interest earned on deposits. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096710-authorities-backtrack-on-move-to-tax-interest-from-bank-deposits/
  12. It does not matter what electronics you buy, phone camera whatever, you will go beyond the limits of your initial assessment. Every single time. This concept is not difficult to understand. If you buy a pair of shoes for 100 baht, vs a pair for 300, but the 300 baht pair lasts five times as long... you are actually saving money. And in this case with the laptops you can potentially save money and have a nicer device. Look guy, this is a forum about opinions. Just state your opinion and be done with it. I am not sure why that is so difficult for some? All you do when you say things like "nonsense" is make yourself look like an egomaniac... someone who has to be right at all costs. Nobody listens to people like that, so just chill out, state your opinion and be done with it.
  13. the watch issue is still going on,what about those election results
  14. Prayut has a duty to stand up to China By The Nation As the representative of Asean interests at this week’s Belt and Road Forum, PM must push for fairer deals China’s global ambitions face an acid test this week as world leaders gather for the second Belt and Road Forum. Six years after its launch, China’s grand loans-and-infrastructure strategy is faltering amid reports of participant countries falling into a debt trap and problems with mega-project management. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096708-prayut-has-a-duty-to-stand-up-to-china/
  15. Israel to name new town on Golan after Trump: Netanyahu FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump shakes hands with Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as they pose on the West Wing colonnade in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, U.S., March 25, 2019. REUTERS/Leah Millis/File Photo U.S. President Donald Trump attends the 2019 White House Easter Egg Roll on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, U.S., April 22, 2019. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton GOLAN HEIGHTS (Reuters) - Israel said on Tuesday it would name a new community on the Golan Heights after U.S. President Donald Trump as an expression of gratitude for his recognition of its claim of sovereignty over the strategic plateau. Israel captured the Golan from Syria in a 1967 war and annexed it, in a move not recognised internationally. The United States broke with other world powers last month when Trump signed a decree recognising Israeli sovereignty there. "All Israelis were deeply moved when President Trump made his historic decision," Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a video statement made on the Golan. He added that, after the Jewish Passover festival, he would "bring to the government a resolution calling for a new community on the Golan Heights named after President Donald J. Trump." Trump's Golan move followed his decision in December 2017 to recognise Jerusalem as the Israeli capital, breaking with decades of U.S. policy over the status of a city contested by the Palestinians. Israel has said separately that, in appreciation of the U.S. president, it intends to name a proposed train station near Jerusalem's Western Wall after him. (Writing by Dan Williams; Editing by Gareth Jones) -- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-24
  16. Does this indicate that the Junta Party is worried about losing power, or am reading something into this that isn't there? All insults of ignorance about my political astuteness of Thailand are proudly accepted.
  17. With all the caveats that go along with unconventional treatments, Thailand would score a grand slam home run on medical tourism if this pans out. Because Big Pharma would make 100% sure that an economical treatment for cancer would never see the light of day in the USA or Europe. The only option for victims will be flying to a country like Thailand where they don't throw doctors in jail for getting crosswise with Big Pharma's FDA. Fingers crossed that they succeed.
  18. Hello, I got a letter from my bank that I had to move my account to another branch, because the branch I was with will be closed. I asked them for same account number but that was not possible. So when I need to get my next retirement visa , it will not be full 3 months. So my question is what do you think, will they understand that I was forced to change my account and accept my money was all the time in the bank ? my retirement visa expire 20 juli on Saturday. can I ask for new retirement visa on 22 juli because then my money has been for 90 days at the same account number ?
  19. Not just hours before the attack, but repeated warnings from Indian & Sri Lankan intelligence in the months prior with caches of explosives being found in Sri Lanka, specific people being identified and so on. The attack was not a spur of the moment event, been planned for months. Lack of action by government apparently due to political dispute between PM & President. Would not be surprised to read of complete shake up of politicians in Sri Lanka (potentially criminal charges?)
  20. Can someone translate the date for me? Thanks.
  21. I think it's kind of cute that they ask for the account holders' permission before they have the bank send in the taxes.
  22. But how could they know that by looking at your passport? Many countries do not stamp your passport now.
  23. Sneaky bastards. Now they'll have to add one more pardon in the amnesty they'll undoubtedly try to push through if there's ever a free and valid election.
  24. The expiry date is always stamped onto the card, if he had cared to look. Secondly, most ATMs here can be used without a card ( You do need the account details though)
  25. One hopes this time 'round trump doesn't attack / insult his host country.
  1. Load more activity