BANGKOK 23 April 2019 03:48

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. They are certainly making it harder and harder for foreigners to get a tourist visa and then be able to use it when you turn up their borders. In the last 2 years I I've been to about 10 countries or so, most don't even need visas, others I can do online with nothing more than a photo and a copy of my bio passport page and they send me the visa by mail or email. Getting into the USA (a simple online check) was much easier than getting into Thailand. They really need to get immigration standards up to scratch here in Thailand. My last tourist visa application needed 7 pages of information including where I was staying, my bank balance print out, flights in and out, a copy of my home driving license to prove where I live. Why so much unnecessary paper work just for a holiday?
  3. mistake #1 especially with a soi bukhao ho Mistake #2 when done with #1 fatal mistake and now #3 Result of #1 #2 #3 Next topic!
  4. Australian members of the Thai cave rescue team visit Tham Luang cave By EPA-EFE Members of the Thai cave rescue team, Australian doctors and divers Richard Harris (3-L) and Craig Challen (2-R) enter Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai district, Chiang Rai province, Thailand, 22 April 2019. // EPA-EFE PHOTO Members of the Thai cave rescue team, Australian doctors and divers Richard Harris and Craig Challen accompany Thai and Australian officials into Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai district, Chiang Rai province on Monday. Harris and Challen, who played key roles in the rescue operation of the Wild Boar soccer team, that were trapped in a flooded cave for 18 days in 2018, are both to be conferred with the Royal Decoration of the Most Admirable Order of the Direkgunabhorn, to be bestowed by the King. // NATION PHOTO Members of the Thai cave rescue team, Australian doctors and divers Richard Harris (C) and Craig Challen (2-L) look at a painted depicting the rescue mission of Wild Boar youth soccer team, outside Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai district, Chiang Rai province, Thailand, 22 April 2019. // EPA-EFE PHOTO Member of the Thai cave rescue team, Australian doctor diver Craig Challen (2-L) enters Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai district, Chiang Rai province, Thailand, 22 April 2019. // EPA-EFE PHOTO Members of the Thai cave rescue team, Australian doctors and divers Richard Harris (6-L) and Craig Challen (5-L) accompany Thai and Australian officials enter Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai district, Chiang Rai province, Thailand, 22 April 2019. // EPA-EFE PHOTO Member of the Thai cave rescue team, Australian doctor and diver Richard Harris (R), leads Thai and Australian officials into Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai district, Chiang Rai province, Thailand, 22 April 2019. // EPA-EFE PHOTO Member of the Thai cave rescue team, Australian doctor and diver Richard Harris (2-L) and his wife (R) arrive to visit Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai district, Chiang Rai province, Thailand, 22 April 2019. // EPA-EFE PHOTO Member of the Thai cave rescue team, Australian doctor and diver Richard Harris (L), lays flowers to pay respect to goddess Nang Non before entering Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai district, Chiang Rai province, Thailand, 22 April 2019. // EPA-EFE PHOTO Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368133 -- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-23
  5. Liverpool are 39 points clear of 7th placed Everton...
  6. Or she should have left him of her own accord, like anyone else would do.
  7. a few more years is an understatement. I know of 2 relatives(now single) in their mid 70s with a "penis pump". They are enjoying sex almost as they did in their 30s. Of course, like everything else, "this" is something entirely depending on how you perceive fun, sex and life in general. According to them , they both see themselves "superman"
  8. Double podiums for Sandy in Sepang By The Nation Shaun Thong and Sandy Stuvik Sandy Kraokaew Stuvik and teammate Shaun Thong of Hong Kong produced two podium finishes in the first round of the Thailand Super Series at the famous Sepang International Circuit over the weekend in Malaysia. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096541-double-podiums-for-sandy-in-sepang/
  9. Double podiums for Sandy in Sepang By The Nation Shaun Thong and Sandy Stuvik Sandy Kraokaew Stuvik and teammate Shaun Thong of Hong Kong produced two podium finishes in the first round of the Thailand Super Series at the famous Sepang International Circuit over the weekend in Malaysia. Driving Audi R8 GT3 Ultra for B-Quik Racing, the duo quickly got up to speed and was up challenging for the top spots of the timesheets in the Friday practices. Qualifying took place on Saturday, which saw the Thai driver take the pole position for Race 1 which would take place later that day. Sandy’s teammate Shaun Thong drove in the following qualifying session where he secured the second place, just behind former F1 driver Tomas Enge. On Saturday afternoon Sandy had a brilliant start in race 1 and maintained his lead position into the first corner. The Thai driver then proceeded to pull away from the field at a rapid rate. However, the Thai driver encountered a slow puncture on his rear right tire, forcing him to limp back to the pits to change tires and handed the R8 Ultra over to his teammate. From there, Shaun drove and excellent stint, but the gap to the leading Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo was too large to make up. The pair finished in 2nd place, with the other B-Quik Racing Audi R8 GT3 Evo finishing just behind in 3rd place. In the Sunday race, Shaun Thong took the start from 2nd place and tried to chase down the leading Lamborghini Huracan GT3 Evo. A safety car before the pit window closed the gap that the leading Lamborghini had created, as Shaun handed the Audi R8 GT3 Ultra over to Sandy. The Thai driver got up to speed quickly and began to close the gap to the leaders. Because Sandy and Shaun are both FIA Silver ranked drivers, their mandated pit-stop time is longer than their competitors. Sandy kept hacking away at the leaders but the pit-stop time (with yesterday’s added success penalty of 10 seconds), the gap was too large to close in. Sandy finished under a second behind the 2nd place Lamborghini and a few seconds further up the road was the race winning B-Quik Audi R8 GT3 Evo driven by Henk Kiks and Daniel Bilski. “It’s been a great weekend for the B-Quik team and our beautiful Audis. We have accumulated good points and more knowledge of the car as we now look towards the next round in Buriram. The cars have been fantastically prepared by the B-Quik engineers and mechanics, along with the technical support of Absolute Racing. I’m more excited than ever to get the next race underway, it can’t come soon enough! Thank you to all my sponsors for this opportunity,” Sandy said after the race. The next race (round 2) will take place at Chang International Circuit, Buriram during 7-9 June 2019. Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/sports/30368097 -- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-23
  10. Explosive story highlights dangers of heatwave By THE NATION WITH hot spells predicted this week, especially in the North where the mercury is expected to reach 43 degrees Celsius, a Thai woman has told a cautionary tale of how her forgetfulness resulted in her mobile phone exploding in her pick-up truck. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096540-explosive-story-highlights-dangers-of-heatwave/
  11. Explosive story highlights dangers of heatwave By THE NATION WITH hot spells predicted this week, especially in the North where the mercury is expected to reach 43 degrees Celsius, a Thai woman has told a cautionary tale of how her forgetfulness resulted in her mobile phone exploding in her pick-up truck. “A punishment for a forgetful person, [my pick-up truck] is all damaged (with multiple “crying face” emoticons),” said Facebook user and Samut Prakan resident “Ying Yupa Anan”. Her “feeling sad” post on Saturday was accompanied by photos of her truck with a damaged and burnt windshield – it had received 23,000 “likes”, 23,000 comments and was shared 11,715 times by yesterday. Mobile phones are among items that people have been warned not to leave in the sun because the heat can damage their electronics and/or cause the battery to explode. Other items susceptible to damage if exposed to prolonged heat included power banks, especially those with lithium-ion batteries, as well as lighters and aerosol sprays. Ying Yupa Anan’s sad post came as the Disease Control Department again issued a warning that seven groups are at most risk of heatstroke. They are: children under five, the elderly, people with chronic diseases, obese people, those who lack adequate rest, heavy drinkers plus those working in the sun for long periods. Those people in particular are being advised to stay hydrated and not to be outside in the scorching sun for too long. Common symptoms of heatstroke are fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, anxiety, headache, low-blood pressure and fainting. Without timely help, heatstroke can even prove fatal. According to the Thai Meteorological Department, a pressure system known as a “thermal low” is covering upper Thailand and is likely to continue to do so for the rest of the week, while southerly and southeasterly winds prevail over the lower North, the Northeast, the Central, the East and the South regions. These conditions combined mean that upper Thailand is likely to experience hot to very hot spells with possible outbreaks of “summer storms” – thundershowers with gusty winds, said the Department. The maximum temperature in the 24 hours from midday yesterday was forecast to be 39-43C in the North, 35-42C in the Northeast, 39-42C in the Central area, 34-40C in the East and 37-40C for Bangkok and surrounding provinces. Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368161 -- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-23
  12. Thailand to sign rail pact with Laos, China By The Nation Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen (L) waves beside Thailand's Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha as they ride a train during a ceremony to connect the railway line between Cambodia and Thailand in Banteay Meanchey province on April 22, 2019. // AFP THAILAND will sign a memorandum of cooperation with China and Laos for a rail link aimed at fulfilling a regional connectivity ambition, when Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-Cha visits Beijing this week for the second Belt and Road Forum, the Foreign Ministry said yesterday. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096538-thailand-to-sign-rail-pact-with-laos-china/
  13. We all know shouting at thais of any flavour is not productive BUT most times sadly its fully deserving
  14. Thailand to sign rail pact with Laos, China By The Nation Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen (L) waves beside Thailand's Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha as they ride a train during a ceremony to connect the railway line between Cambodia and Thailand in Banteay Meanchey province on April 22, 2019. // AFP THAILAND will sign a memorandum of cooperation with China and Laos for a rail link aimed at fulfilling a regional connectivity ambition, when Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-Cha visits Beijing this week for the second Belt and Road Forum, the Foreign Ministry said yesterday. Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith will sign the pact with his Laotian counterpart Bounchanh Sinthavong and China’s vice chairman of the National Development and Reform Commission Hu Zucai on Thursday on the sideline of the forum. The memorandum will detail the framework for the three countries in relation to the railway network from southern China via Laos to Thailand. The pact will also cover the construction of a new bridge across the Mekong River linking the Laotian capital with Nong Khai province, Vilawan Mangklatanakul, director of the Foreign Ministry’s International Economic Affairs Department, said. China has invested in and is helping Laos build a 400-kilometre railway track from the China-Laos border to Vientiane. The construction is halfway through, while Thailand’s 3.5km high-speed railway is also making good progress. Prayut, attending the second Belt and Road Forum from April 25 to 27 in his capacity as Asean chair, will update the forum on the Asean connectivity master plan, Vilawan said. The junta’s brainchild – the Eastern Economic Corridor – will also be promoted at the forum to lure investors, notably from China, she said, adding that the plan is to transform the Kingdom into a regional supply-chain hub. China’s President Xi Jinping launched the Belt and Road Initiative in 2013 to link his country with other countries via many infrastructure development projects. So far, 124 countries and 29 international organisations have signed cooperation pacts on the initiative with China. The first summit on the initiative was held in 2017, while the second forum this week is expected to conclude with a joint communique to forge cooperation among regional countries. Prayut is to meet with Chinese President Xi and his counterpart, Premier Li Keqiang, to update them about Thailand's role as Asean chair and other bilateral issues, Vilawan said. Connectivity has emerged as the key element of regional development, and Prayut yesterday joined Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen to inaugurate a new railway link on between the two countries at the border towns of Aranyaprathet and Poipet. The two premiers also witnessed a signing ceremony at a Thai border post before riding together to the Cambodian town of Poipet on a train donated by Thailand. Hun Sen described their journey as “historic” and thanked Thailand for its efforts “to reconnect Cambodia and Thailand”. The rail link will also serve as a connection between Laos and is Southeast Asian neighbours, Hun Sen said. Bilateral trade between Thailand and Cambodia currently stands at $6 billion (Bt190 billion). Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368163 -- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-23
  15. Ha ha don’t think so donald has been exposed for what he is hopefully the dems just run on the issues that’s a rich feeding ground just littered with Donald’s failures don’t think we are a dictatorship yet so we will see yes!
  16. UPDATE: Every Thai to get Bt1,500 as govt tries to boost domestic tourism By The Nation The Finance Ministry is launching a new stimulus package to boost the country’s domestic tourism by giving Thais Bt1,500 per person to spend when they travel to 55 provinces under a promotion campaign, a source from the ministry said. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096467-finance-ministry-to-boost-tourism-with-bt1500-payment-to-domestic-travellers/?do=findComment&comment=14069267
  17. I agree it is frustrating that it is so hard to get a decent ( not fine) true ( grape not fruit) wine in Thailand, especially if you live as I do in the NE, for under 500 baht. At least beer does go better with Thai food than wine, ( I don't really do the Thai whisky soda ice thing except to get mau) but I miss a simple straightforward red when I cook and eat western food, then again I miss ground beef too to make bolognaise sauce! I now use pork, bit it's not the same. I miss cheese, I can only get cheddar around my area in Thailand. I'm lucky that I only spend half the year in Thailand, where I always lose weight, and the other half in France where I can indulge in good wines at under €5 ( less than 200 baht) and plenty of ground beef and huge variety of cheeses, not to mention desserts and certain fruit like peaches, plums and nectarines. Of course there I put on the weight again! But hey " when in Rome....." It's one of the reasons that although I love Thailand especially away from the tourist traps I couldn't live there permanently, other than in a tourist trap like Pattaya or BKK. And for other reasons I couldn't live in those places permanently either, although visiting is fine and fun.
  18. Every Thai to get Bt1,500 as govt tries to boost domestic tourism By The Nation The Finance Ministry is launching a new stimulus package to boost the country’s domestic tourism by giving Thais Bt1,500 per person to spend when they travel to 55 provinces under a promotion campaign, a source from the ministry said. Under the campaign, Thais aged 18 and over can register for the programme. The government will then deposit Bt1,500 into their accounts through the e-payment system. They can use the funds to make e-payments to the shops that have joined the project. “We are collaborating with the Tourism and Sport Ministry and Krung Thai Bank for the campaign and have set a budget of up to Bt15 billion. We will now propose the programme to Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak to consider and to the Cabinet as soon as possible. We aim to launch the campaign before July this year,” a source from the Finance Ministry said. The ministry expects up to 10 million Thais to register, he added. Anusorn Tamajai, dean of Rangsit University’s Economics Faculty, said he agreed with the government’s plan to boost the economy. The drought has severely affected the welfare of people living in rural areas, he said. Moreover, the overall economy was also adversely affected by the contraction in exports. Exports in March dropped 4.88 per cent year on year and exports in the first three months of this year were down 1.64 per cent due to the global slowdown and impact from the trade tensions between the United States and China. The Finance Ministry was worried that economic growth would weaken to 3 per cent in the first and second quarters. Finance Minister Apisak Tantivorawong had said previously that the government would inject about Bt20 billion into the economy and offer incentives to boost domestic tourism and extra cash to low-income earners who hold state welfare cards. Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30368159 -- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-23
  19. Govt seeks talks with Hopewell over court compensation order By The Nation The government said yesterday that it would consider negotiating with Hopewell (Thailand) Co to settle the Bt11.88 billion compensation awarded by the Supreme Administrative Court. Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1096536-thai-govt-seeks-talks-with-hopewell-over-court-compensation-order/
  20. I very recently had to go to immigration in Pattaya ( I say Pattaya for the trolls ) I already have a 1 year stamp ( not a visa ) . but wanted a letter for the bank so I could open a account. Whilst there I was shocked by the behaviour of the non Thais there. Basically I mean us, asking for visas, stamps etc. There was shouting and screaming, plus the expression - " That is not how we do it in my country" My issue was sorted, the person who uttered that remark is on this site
  21. Govt seeks talks with Hopewell over court compensation order By The Nation The government said yesterday that it would consider negotiating with Hopewell (Thailand) Co to settle the Bt11.88 billion compensation awarded by the Supreme Administrative Court. The court upheld an arbitration committee’s ruling in favour of Hopewell whose concession contract for a Bt80-billion elevated road and rail project in Bangkok was scrapped in 1998. Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krau-ngam said negotiations could lead to a lower compensation amount, as the court’s verdict against the Transport Ministry and the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) is regarded as final. The Transport Ministry is expected to form a committee to study the court’s verdict and submit details to the Cabinet for consideration, according to Wissanu. The deputy PM declined to comment on whether legal action could be taken against former politicians who had caused damage to the state, resulting in the massive compensation won by the private company. He also dismissed the possibility of using special powers under Article 44 of the charter to resolve this issue. However, Wissanu said there could be negotiations with Hopewell to settle the issue, adding that it would likely take a lot of time before a final decision is reached. Meanwhile, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said his government was not responsible for the long-standing dispute with Hopewell, but understood that there had been negotiations with the firm in the past to settle the issue. SRT acting governor Voravuth Mala said public prosecutors will have to study details of the court’s verdict before the agency takes further action, after it was ordered to pay the compensation to Hopewell. Sawit Kaew-wan, head of SRT’s union, said the agency does not have the financial resources to pay the entire compensation amount so the government will have to share its responsibility. The Hopewell project, officially known as Bangkok Elevated Road and Train System, was highly controversial when then-transport minister Montri Pongpanich signed the Bt80-billion concession with Gordon Wu, head of Hopewell, back in 1990. Later the project ran into serious financial and technical problems leading to the termination of its concession contract about seven years later when construction work was only 13.7 per cent completed. According to the 30-year concession contract, Hopewell was supposed to have completed 89 per cent of the overall construction work at that stage, hence the Chuan Leekpai government decided to terminate the contract. Based on the concession contract, Hopewell was required to pay a total of Bt50 billion in fees to SRT in return for the right to collect revenues from the project’s tollways and community train service as well as develop 2,093 rai of SRT land. However, the contract had many weaknesses, especially regarding the SRT’s right to end the contract when the private firm could not meet the terms and conditions. The SRT also faced problems in handing over land plots to Hopewell, as many sites were still occupied by illegal residents. Later, the private firm also had financial and liquidity problems, resulting in work stoppage and isolated pillars along Bangkok’s Vibhavadi Rangsit Road. The entire project was to consist of 60km of an elevated road and train network. The first section was to have been 18.8km long, running from Yommaraj to Don Muang, while the second section was to have been 18.5km long, from Yommaraj to Makkasan/Chao Phya River. Construction work on these two sections was supposed to have been completed within 4-5 years, but actual work was far behind when the contract was terminated. Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368160 -- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-23
  22. People used to think I was crazy living alone and not getting into anything serious. Endless divorces, money, houses, cars etc later and they envy me.
  23. Not much interest in Baja California Sur? I lived for over a year in La Paz and about 6 months in San Jose del Cabo. I very much enjoyed living in both places but I was more a wanderer then and not a retiree. I expect SJdC is very much a tourist city these days what with the proximity and growth of Cabo San Lucas. Super cheap flights to the states and gringo services are available everywhere. Nice people. https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/la-paz-mexico?currency=USD
  1. Load more activity