BANGKOK

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Why not run as Future Forward? It is the only large independent party now in the face of political threat from the establishment political parties, both pro and con military supporters.
  3. @NancyL Would you be able to offer any advice?
  4. 7-28 days for average but longer if use it a lot . If taking a test you can buy flush drinks that will flush your system in 24 hrs and you will pass any pee test . My mates took them all the time as were tested regularly before allowed to work on high rope access jobs .
  5. Right ! sorry, it's not Joe who decides the things, it's immigration office ; event if it's wrong the officer this morning told me that even with an extension and already an insurance in my country, I must have one in Thailand ; I hope to have very soon an official who says cleary " extension don't need " ; so far , nothing like this
  6. 20 years is a long time. However the 5 year breaks even against the 20 in only 10 years. That's a 50% discount. This also means that if Thailand no longer suits my interests in 10 years, I could sell the Elite for a 10% transfer fee and used discount rate. On that basis it seems a much better value. How hard is it to find a buyer for a used Elite Visa? If anyone has dealt with the used market, where would one go and what is a fair discount to buy/sell one for?
  7. A post using ALL CAPS has been removed, please turn off your Caps Lock when posting.
  8. No, I mean climatologists publishing peer reviewed papers, or which would generally only include a fraction of the actual research. But even if I did mean all scientists publishing peer reviewed papers, that still would not include enough scientists to support the 97% lie you guys are constantly regurgitating. For every climatologist there are how many other scientists? For every publishing scientist there are how many that don’t publish? Keep drinking the Koolaide...
  9. I did ask a question . How can asking a person a question be consider as "not making sense"?
  10. Probably won't but no guarantees. Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  11. Exactly! It doesn't make sense, buy almost nothing here makes sense, everything is ran by bureocractic machinery, no silly laws can be changed in any way, because, you know, that's just how it's always been. The whole system seems to be like a badly designed robot, incapable of learning, unable to adjust with times and conditions. Even if some civil servant realises how idiotic some regulations may be, he/she knows not to make a peep about it. Initiative is discouraged, and likely penalized. Everyone wishes to believe that mandatory health insurers will affect O-A visa holders only, but that makes no sense. It makes much more sense that Bangkok wants every long term visa holder to have this mandatory insurance. It is very possible that whoever dreamt up this new insurance requirement, is not aware there is O and O-A visa, he/she may think all retirees are on same visa, same extension. Otherwise this law accomplishes nothing, why should holder of O visa be treated differently than O-A holder. But then again, nothing here makes sense.
  12. Louis Pasteur eradicated a serious disease many, many years ago by heating the milk. Now the new age yuppies are willing to allow it become introduced again for some stupid reason.
  13. Report post #1 Posted 7 hours ago Senior army man denies trying to murder "pretties" in their car Picture: Daily News A senior military man presented himself at the Bang Kruay police yesterday. The sergeant major denied that he shot two "pretties" in their Yaris. He claims he sold the gun used in the attack to a friend a long time ago - Maybe he sold his gun to the judge who shot himself in Bangkok a few weeks back just a thought ! ..... even with the evidence ? Ignorance is bliss. An example must be made and stripped of his title and sentenced to at least 15yrs in prison. However being an army state he’ll get promoted by sitting behind a desk and it will be sweeped under The carpet...
  14. Which unfortunately looks like it could be illegal under UK law ironically thanks to Jacob Rees-Mogg’s own amendment to the previous Taxation bill. Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  15. In my overwintering condo in Jomtien - two immigration officers very helpfully came to assist an elderly gentlemen who lived down the corridor with his visa extension. What a friendly and accomodating service.
  16. Consider Hua Hin It’s beach front quiet and relaxing
  17. Thai stores always overquote on BTU for square metres. I was quoted 40K BTU for a 36 sqm apartment. Complete BS. 10 - 12K BTU for 20 sqm should be quite adequate.
  18. Again Fex change the story..... Or you think Thai love Fex the special foreigner, but hate all the other foreigner?
  19. As crossy has said that does not make any sense for Thailand. However the load will not be more than a 5/15 meter will handle, assuming the water heater isn't too big. Though for a better answer. What is the power of the water heater and how long is it switched on? FWIW the 5 sockets don't use power but if your going to be plugging more stuff in it will. The 60A is doing nothing and will probably never trip. It should protect the wires from starting fires and it won't.
  20. Is there anyone around who knows about about the legal bases and issues of guardianship and power of attorney in Thailand? Speaking about powers of attorney for health care and succession declarations. My partner and me gave each other such notarized rights in Germany and would like them to be valid in Thailand as well, to be prepared in event of a serious emergency... Anyone ever dealt with such documents (or their notarized translation?) which shall be valid in Thailand?
  21. This whole fiasco is reaching Monty python status,a big thank you from me and every other person suffering from it to Gina miller,and all the mps unwilling to accept democracy.
  22. That was one thread. There have been multiple reports already about people being told OA extensions will be subject to insurance requirements in some offices. It's certainly true that we won't know if they actually carry through with that until later. Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  23. Opinions on this vary and the order gets interpreted differently... but for you it doesn't look like it matters does it? Both the visa and your entry on the visa will be before the oct 31st deadline.
  24. The Hopewell Project was signed by MOTC (Mr. Montri Phongphanit) in the Chatichai Choonhavan government*, SRT and Hopewell (Thailand) Co.Ltd. (Mr. Gordon Woo) on November 9, 1990. Hopewell's critics have tried to paint the company as a carpet-bagger which took advantage of Prime Minister Chatichai Choonhavan's notorious casual and corrupt administration in the late 1980s to extract a vague contract containing no penalty clauses for late completion. https://www.scmp.com/article/65073/hopewell-fights-back-over-delayed-thai-rail-project Note that the Hopewell contract operated under the Alien Business Act of 1972. I failed to find any details of the Act that would have required Cabinet approval of the Hopewell contact. Neither the MOT nor SRT cites any specific provisions of ABA in effect at the time of the contract award. There is such a provision in the Foreign Business Act of 1999 that replaced the ABA for Cabinet approval for List 2 (ie., operation of public transport) and for MOT for List 3 (construction) businesses. Given the scope of the Hopewell contract to both construct and operate an SRT line, it's not clear (to me at least) that full Cabinet approval was required vs. MOT approval. But of course the FBA wouldn't apply to Hopewell contract award in any event and perhaps Pisak's blame for a faulty or unlawful contract is misdirected. The short of this story is that it appears that the MOT in 1990 knowingly approved the Hopewell contract and Hopewell proceeded with contract execution. * On 23 February 1991, the Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Army, General Sunthorn Kongsompong, and the generals of the Chulalongkorn Military Academy class 5 formed the National Peace Keeping Council to depose Chatichai's government in a coup d'état. They accused the elected government of massive corruption and abuse of power for its own advantage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chatichai_Choonhavan
  1. Load more activity