Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Of course it would be courteous and be very much appreciated to be informed that your passport had been approved and posted to you with a postal tracking reference.

Meanwhile, I still remain sitting around on my hands arguing (sorry for that) with TV Trollsters.

I think the current Trendy process is going to have to be reviewed. It really doesn't seem fit for purpose. Even with literate English speaking staff it still involves costly and unnecessary difficulties for many.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Did you apply via Trendy, or directly to Liverpool?

I'm sure I remember a few posters saying they'd been informed by email when their passports were issued, before the March changes. Has this definitely stopped now? Or did it never happen in the first place?

I applied via Liverpool. Posted on 28 Feb, arrived 7 Mar, Fee paid 10 Mar. In limbo since then, so made a pointless telephone enquiry which cost approx 200 Thb Waited for a requested status update. Nothing. Emailed Newport, which gave me a reply acknowledging they were considering my application...minimum 4 weeks...no other relevant information. A poster earlier this week sent his application on 27 Feb and has now received his passport. Applying logic??? means mine is due anytime soon...seeing as though I have received no email so far indicating a problem with my application. Thank God or whoever, it is only a once in 10year event. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Payment

I notice on the instructions

"You must ensure that you have checked with your card provider that your card is valid, for this international transaction, and that adequate funds are available."

Does anyone know if the local bank cards can be used to pay this sterling charge?

I always thought they could only be used locally.

Does anyone know if you can pay cash to the Bangkok office if you don't have a credit card or a UK bank account?

Confused!!!!!

I'm using the kasikorn virtual debit card.

I vaguely remember someone earlier in the thread saying they had successfully used it.

The UK haven't taken payment yet, im only two weeks into the application, but fingers crossed it will go through okay. I've used the card for many online purchases and never had a problem.

edit I just realised I hadn't actually looked at my bank balance since applying. The UK have in fact taken the payment successfully. So my suggestion is open a kbank account + eshopping card, its very easy to get.

Edited by celso
  • Like 1

Payment

I notice on the instructions

"You must ensure that you have checked with your card provider that your card is valid, for this international transaction, and that adequate funds are available."

Does anyone know if the local bank cards can be used to pay this sterling charge?

I always thought they could only be used locally.

Does anyone know if you can pay cash to the Bangkok office if you don't have a credit card or a UK bank account?

Confused!!!!!

I'm using the kasikorn virtual debit card.

I vaguely remember someone earlier in the thread saying they had successfully used it.

The UK haven't taken payment yet, im only two weeks into the application, but fingers crossed it will go through okay. I've used the card for many online purchases and never had a problem.

edit I just realised I hadn't actually looked at my bank balance since applying. The UK have in fact taken the payment successfully. So my suggestion is open a kbank account + eshopping card, its very easy to get.

For the record, what date did you apply at Trendy and when was the cash debited?

I handed in my application on 16th April (no appointment, just walked in).

The card was charged on the 23rd April.

So seven days later. Registered post takes 4 or 5 days to get to the UK, and giving 1 day for sorting/allocation... I would assume that charging the card is the very first stage of the application.

Edited by celso

So seven days later. Registered post takes 4 or 5 days to get to the UK, and giving 1 day for sorting/allocation... I would assume that charging the card is the very first stage of the application.

Not a criticism of you but it makes a mockery of an appointment booking system when you can you can just stroll in.

Not a criticism of you but it makes a mockery of an appointment booking system when you can you can just stroll in.

Agreed, but if I lived in BKK/nearby I would have tried the same, as it's much more convenient, however I am not going to fly 1000 km+ to BKK on the off chance that I might get lucky....

This is just yet more evidence that the UK government has hung those of us based here in Thailand out to dry, certainly when it comes to overseas passport renewal.

It's already pretty obvious that Trendy are a bunch of muppets, who not only can't read/write English, but who obviously don't know their ar.es from their elbows.

So who would expect Trendy to stick to the stupid, inflexible, system that they have invented, or for that matter to show anything other than minimal respect for the needs of British Citzens based here - after all we are just their customers who anyway apparently don't pay them much money for their 'service'?

I guess from now onwards as British Citizens based in Thailand, we should only expect to get a similar service, say to that one would expect when buying a bottle of milk at a local 7-11.

• Like 2

A little bit of credit where credit's due ....

I sent an email to the Brit Embassy Consular Section on Saturday with a few questions about EDTs as I thought I may as well start getting my shit together on the assumption that my new passport won't find its way to me before my trip to UK at the beginning of June. The auto-reply from the Consular section indicated that a reply could take two weeks. Therefore I was a bit chuffed when I got a full and detailed reply before 8.10 am this morning. A big thumbs-up to them as they removed a lot of the potential stress I might have experienced the longer I went without any word from the folk at Trendy.

Hi Guys ,

An addition to my saga with passport renewal.

I handed my stuff over to VFS in Trendy Wendy House on the friday before the Son Kran break.

Today i had a phone call from a lady in Liverpool who works for the finance team to tell me they have sent an e-mail explaining that my payment has been blocked by Khrun Thai bank , probably because it is an overseas transaction., and that i should now contact my bank and tell them to authorise it . Below is the e-mail i have received today, it also includes some phone numbers that some may find useful in their dealings with problems. Again as mentioned in previous posts this does highlight a need for a better payment system to be implemented , ie Paypal or something similar could be an option. you send your forms they reply with a reference number which you then use to make the payment. SIMPLES !!!

Reference: LOC-DWILLIAMSXXXXXX

Dear Mr. D Williams

Please see the attached letter in reference to your recent passport application. We have been unable to process payment for £106.01, so would be grateful if you could contact us on the direct number +44 151 471 4302 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +44 151 471 4302 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting (Monday to Friday, 8am to 4:00pm (UK time)) at your earliest convenience, quoting the reference given above.

<<Overseas payment letter LOCS.pdf>>

**Please note that payment is taken in the UK, so we would advise you to check with your card provider that the card you intend to pay with is valid for international transactions**

Please note that payment for your passport is the first stage of the application process. To avoid unnecessary delays to your application, please could you contact us as soon as possible.

If, once the attached query has been resolved, you have any further queries, please call our helpline on +44 300 222 0000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +44 300 222 0000 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

Kind regards

GRO Transactional Finance Team

Edited by daiwill60

Yes, its a complete mess.

I tried three times to email and get an appointment. The first two times I got ignored - no response at all. The last time I was offered an appointment - for 14th of May!!

So on the 16th I thought screw it I'll just turn up,.. I'm glad I did because nobody else was even waiting! This was midday and I thought it would be busy but nope, I got called to the counter immediately. In and out in ten minutes and didn't see any other british citizens while I was there.

I peeped at the appointment list for that day and there was 8 people total! They're either being very cautious about overbooking (1 appointment per hour), or whoever is organising the appointments is just clueless.

according to the lovely miss friendly at VFS counter 9, it is the British embassy who are compiling the appointment lists , she told me . ???

yes it is the first stage (see my latest post), if you think about it they will not start the process until they know that payment is secure, or there will be wasted man hours. Also i would be interested to know , did you use a thai bank account card or a UK bank account card ??? my thai bank account VISA card payment has been blocked at the moment , probably due to the fact it is an overseas transaction. ?????????? &lt;deleted&gt;

Hi Guys ,

I handed my stuff over to VFS in Trendy Wendy House on the friday before the Son Kran break.

Today i had a phone call from a lady in Liverpool who works for the finance team to tell me they have sent an e-mail explaining that my payment has been blocked by Khrun Thai bank , probably because it is an overseas transaction., and that i should now contact my bank and tell them to authorise it . Below is the e-mail i have received today, it also includes some phone numbers that some may find useful in their dealings with problems. Again as mentioned in previous posts this does highlight a need for a better payment system to be implemented , ie Paypal or something similar could be an option. you send your forms they reply with a reference number which you then use to make the payment or pay at VFS by card or cash, get receipt, then they pay to UK PP agency from their account, that was how we did it for the wife's Uk visa with VFS 2 years ago. SIMPLES !!!

Dear Mr. D Williams

Please see the attached letter in reference to your recent passport application. We have been unable to process payment for £106.01, so would be grateful if you could contact us on the direct number +44 151 471 4302 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +44 151 471 4302 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting (Monday to Friday, 8am to 4:00pm (UK time)) at your earliest convenience, quoting the reference given above.

**Please note that payment is taken in the UK, so we would advise you to check with your card provider that the card you intend to pay with is valid for international transactions**

Please note that payment for your passport is the first stage of the application process. To avoid unnecessary delays to your application, please could you contact us as soon as possible.

If, once the attached query has been resolved, you have any further queries, please call our helpline on +44 300 222 0000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +44 300 222 0000 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

Kind regards

Just noticed , are these numbers free if you dial from your mobile in thailand or do you need to use skype , as skype also requires crdit to be made to your skype account to make calls, so is therefore not free really, is it????

Edited by daiwill60

daiwill60, on 28 Apr 2014 - 23:36, said:snapback.png

Hi Guys ,

Today i had a phone call from a lady in Liverpool who works for the finance team to tell me they have sent an e-mail explaining that my payment has been blocked by Khrun Thai bank , probably because it is an overseas transaction., and that i should now contact my bank and tell them to authorise it . Below is the e-mail i have received today, it also includes some phone numbers that some may find useful in their dealings with problems. Again as mentioned in previous posts this does highlight a need for a better payment system to be implemented , ie Paypal or something similar could be an option. you send your forms they reply with a reference number which you then use to make the payment or pay at VFS by card or cash, get receipt, then they pay to UK PP agency from their account, that was how we did it for the wife's Uk visa with VFS 2 years ago. SIMPLES !!!

Dear Mr. D Williams

Kind regards

Just noticed , are these numbers free if you dial from your mobile in thailand or do you need to use skype , as skype also requires crdit to be made to your skype account to make calls, so is therefore not free really, is it????

Think your computer has added the Skype formatting to the phone numbers supplied.

Don't know about the +441514714302 number, but the other number is charged as a UK Land Line, so you would pay the standard Skype charges for a UK Land Line call (1.4p per minute).

As regards mobile calls, I suspect you would pay normal international rates to a UK land line, even though the first number you are calling may be reduced rate/free.

So yet more problems with the new system - seems Trendy take the payment details, but don't check if the payment is ok or not.

I suspect many of will have problems using Thai debit cards for international payments - best one confirms with the bank before the trip to Trendy, looks like they don't bother to check if the payment is valid or not.

So something else that makes the trip to Trendy a waste of time and money - they just seem to function as a very expensive post box.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

I see Trendy performing 2 functions.

1. A visual confirmation that the applicant is the same person that is shown in the passport.

2. A check that the application includes all the necessary documents/photos, with a cursory check of the application forms to see that data has been entered.

I do not imagine that they check the validity of the data, or that the photos are of the required standard, they just send everything to Liverpool where the detailed checks are made. So, not only are more applications likely to be blocked by payment problems, but also by problems with photos and residence data submitted.

As you say, just an expensive post box.

I received my Certificate of Residence from Thai Immigration, but it was all in Thai including the address. Cost of translation 400 Baht. The immigration officer noted that it was for a passport application and said it was only valid for 30 days from the date of application, and it was only valid in Thailand. So by the time it reaches Liverpool it will fail both of those rules, but the Passport info says that documents must be dated within 1 year.

What happens if it reaches Liverpool and is rejected by them, is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

I see Trendy performing 2 functions.

1. A visual confirmation that the applicant is the same person that is shown in the passport.

2. A check that the application includes all the necessary documents/photos, with a cursory check of the application forms to see that data has been entered.

I do not imagine that they check the validity of the data, or that the photos are of the required standard, they just send everything to Liverpool where the detailed checks are made. So, not only are more applications likely to be blocked by payment problems, but also by problems with photos and residence data submitted.

As you say, just an expensive post box.

I received my Certificate of Residence from Thai Immigration, but it was all in Thai including the address. Cost of translation 400 Baht. The immigration officer noted that it was for a passport application and said it was only valid for 30 days from the date of application, and it was only valid in Thailand. So by the time it reaches Liverpool it will fail both of those rules, but the Passport info says that documents must be dated within 1 year.

What happens if it reaches Liverpool and is rejected by them, is anyone's guess.

I think you will need to get it translated (if rejected). See note 4:-

How to apply
  1. Download the application form.
  2. Use the ‘Applying for a passport if you’re outside the UK’ guidance notes to help you fill in the application form.
  3. Include 2 identical new photos of you (or your child, if it’s a child passport application). Follow the rules about passport photos or your application may be delayed.
  4. Check which supporting documents you must submit with your application. You must get documents that aren’t in English - including documents showing an address - fully translated by a professional translator.

any chance of scanning a copy of this residence certificate so I can make my own. I have finally realised it might be a lot easier to prove I live somewhere in Thailand rather than my actual address and seeing as the UK passport agency have NO LEGAL JURISDICTION to check on anything and we have to collect the passports anyway it hardly matters. What a shambolic system.

• Like 2

Hi celso.

Just curious, what did you use from Table A "supporting documents" to prove residential address?

I went up today to the British Embassy hoping they would provide a Proof of residential address form, to accompany the Passport renewal applications for 1 child and one adult (age 16), the Embassy declined as the officer in Consular services said that letter was only for use in Thailand and thus no good to go in with a PP renewal, as both applicants have dual Nationality, the Consular official suggested a Certified copy, translated to English of the Household Book showing both boys Thai residential address, along with a Certified translation of their Thai ID cards "should" be suffice to verify residential address. I guess we will see on Friday as we have an appointment at Trendy. That by the way is over 8K Baht for Translations, Certification and Notary stamps.

What a shambles indeed. Most of the documents suggested in Table "A" are totally irrelevant for most of us living in Thailand. After phone calls to the Embassy" refer to website", E-Mails to VFS Bangkok, and the UK no answers.

I am fortunate as I hold dual Nationality also, ie British and Australian, I will not be renewing my British Passport anymore as the Aussie one is a breeze to renew with extremely helpful consular staff. The British Embassy is an Embarrassment not an Embassy.

Thanks "rant over" BW.

Hi there, my work wrote a letter confirming my address on headed company paper.

'This letter is to confirm x is an employer of us, and lives at the address y.'

Wrote in English, and I made sure my address on the application exactly matched what my employer had wrote. All quite pointless considering the passport gets delivered to Trendy office, not my address. smile.png

Dawill60: I used a kasikorn online shopping card, linked to my debit account.

Edited by celso
  • Like 1

Hi celso.

Thanks for the info, i agree, whats the point when you have to pick ip the new PP at Trendy.

Regards BW

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Cos big brother likes to keep it's beady eye on its citizens I suppose. An absolute cluster f#@k of the highest order. Still no news of my passport. Sent application from Thailand 28 Feb, received Liverpool 7 Mar, Fee paid 10 Mar.

Guys, I was checking through the Supporting documents table and it states that our UK passport can be used as the photo ID evidence and the visa can be used as evidence of name and address. However my multiple entry Non O visa doesn't have my address on it, little bit confused! biggrin.png Edit: Regarding the two recent identical photos for the passport application, please does anyone know if they have available photo facilities at the Trendy offices? Many thanks

post-208160-0-23046400-1398784406_thumb.

Edited by Connection

Guys, I was checking through the Supporting documents table and it states that our UK passport can be used as the photo ID evidence and the visa can be used as evidence of name and address. However my multiple entry Non O visa doesn't have my address on it, little bit confused! biggrin.png Edit: Regarding the two recent identical photos for the passport application, please does anyone know if they have available photo facilities at the Trendy offices? Many thanks

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.png

Good point.

They MAY be suggesting that by having a visa you have already verified your address to the Thai consul.

It does say visa and not extension - I would be inclined to contact them to clarify though. (Them being HMPO and not VFS).

• Like 1

I would assume that it should be OK to use a photocopy of your Thai driving licence together with a translation of the address on the reverse if it has been issued during the last year.

Personally, i wouldn't assume anything. It is not on the list and was not offered as an alternative in digitalchromakey's email from HMPO.

I think that if you want to try something like that, it is worth emailing HMPO for clarification first. I doubt VFS will be any help but being Thais they may think they are helping you by sending it to Liverpool - maybe to find it gets rejected.

I have sent an email to HMPO to clarify the Thai visa in my passport being listed as evidence for name and address, as soon as they get back to me I will update here.smile.png

You earlier posted above in #766 that the current Thai Visa in your passport does not show your address, so how can you submit that in order to confirm your address in Thailand?

What HMPO are looking for is a document with you address and if necessary a full translation by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

Please don't conclude that I see any reason at all for us having to provide an address, however that is what HMPO are insisting on in order to issue a replacement passport - that's the game.

I have still to find something to prove my address. As I stated in an earlier post, we have no mail delivery at my home, I have a PO Box at the nearest Post Office, besides which, all the bills are in my wife's name. My Thai driving licence would not be accepted as it was issued in 1995 (more than 1 year ago) and it has the number of my old passport that was valid at the time.

I'm due in Bangkok next Wednesday.

I have still to find something to prove my address. As I stated in an earlier post, we have no mail delivery at my home, I have a PO Box at the nearest Post Office, besides which, all the bills are in my wife's name. My Thai driving licence would not be accepted as it was issued in 1995 (more than 1 year ago) and it has the number of my old passport that was valid at the time.

Get a new driving license (maybe you would have to do your driving test after all this time, as according to your dates it ran out maybe almost 15 years ago).

Or go to your local Thai immigration dept and get the residence form.

Get either of the above translated and you're there.

If you go to Trendy without evidence of address, they will probably just smile, take your papers and forward them to Liverpool who will contact you in due course saying that they will not process your passport renewal until you get some evidence of address to them.

That's the way it is as I see it, fair - no, reasonable - no, good for your security - no, helps to prevent ID theft - no.

Edit: remember that you can phone HMPO in the UK to check +443002220000, it's not a rip off premium line, but you would pay for the cost of an international call to a UK Land Line, else use Skype I've checked it and it works at 1.4p per minute.

Allow 15 minutes for the call including navigating menus ID collection and time on hold while they check the answer to your question.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Get a new driving license (maybe you would have to do your driving test after all this time, as according to your dates it ran out maybe almost 15 years ago).

Or go to your local Thai immigration dept and get the residence form.

Get either of the above translated and you're there.

If you go to Trendy without evidence of address, they will probably just smile, take your papers and forward them to Liverpool who will contact you in due course saying that they will not process your passport renewal until you get some evidence of address to them.

That's the way it is as I see it, fair - no, reasonable - no, good for your security - no, helps to prevent ID theft - no.

Agree 100%.

Get yourself to immigration, with your wife + 500 Baht, and get a certificate of residency.