Visa crackdown risks stranding Phuket expats in Myanmar

webfact

Visa crackdown risks stranding Phuket expats in Myanmar
Phuket Gazette

1_2014551408562_SCTLRFqELAVZvkkSlULupnKa
Ranong Immigration warns that any foreigner who exits Thailand after using three consecutive visa exemption entries must get a proper visa. Photo: Chris Husted

PHUKET: -- Officials at Ranong Immigration today confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that they are turning away any foreigners attempting to enter Thailand after using three consecutive “walk-in” visas.

The news follows reports of immigration officers allegedly stopping Phuket expats on visa runs to Ranong from exiting the country. Ranong, nearly 400km north of Phuket, has for decades been a prime destination for foreigners conducting "visa runs".

“We began enforcing the rule from May 3 [saturday] after receiving an order from Bangkok,” an officer at Ranong Immigration told the Gazette on condition of anonymity this morning.

“We have already spoken with several foreigners and strongly advised that they do not exit Thailand to arrive in Kauthaung [in Myanmar], as there is no Thai embassy or consulate there.

“We explained that if they went and tried to re-enter Thailand without first obtaining a visa from a Thai embassy or consulate, we would have to refuse them entry because they would have already entered Thailand three consecutive times on ‘visa exemption’ status.”

Any foreigners who ignore the advice risk being stranded in Myanmar, the officer warned.

The officer explained that the crackdown on the “three-visa-and-out rule” was aimed at catching foreign criminals staying in Thailand.

“This is just the first step in a crackdown on expats and tourists who keep renewing their visas so that they can live in Thailand for the wrong reasons,” he said.

“Some foreigners live here and form their own ‘networks’ to carry out illegal business. Some of the people we are targeting are known associates of international criminals.”

Visa run companies in Phuket have been notified of the situation, the officer assured.

“These companies can explain the rules to foreigners before they book them on a visa run,” he said. “This will help avoid any problems at the Ranong checkpoint.”

“As I said, this is just the first step as we attempt to root out foreign criminals. The next step might be tougher than this one, but law-abiding foreigners should be aware that we are not picking on any particular nationalities – criminals are the ones we want to catch.”

Any foreigners caught overstaying their permit to stay are subject to a fine of 500 baht per day, up to a maximum fine of 20,000 baht.

Foreigners caught grossly abusing the maximum overstay fine rule risk being deported and added to the immigration blacklist, barring the foreigner from re-entering the country (story here).

— Chutharat Plerin

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Visa-crackdown-risks-stranding-Phuket-expats-Myanmar/29346

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-05-05

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“We began enforcing the rule from May 3 [saturday] after receiving an order from Bangkok,”

Mmmm.... So both houses of the govt make rules, but it's up to the immigration / police to decide to enforce them ?

Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

“We began enforcing the rule from May 3 [saturday] after receiving an order from Bangkok,”

Mmmm.... So both houses of the govt make rules, but it's up to the immigration / police to decide to enforce them ?

Interesting

It's always been the rule that the final decision rests at the individual Immigration officer's discretion, despite the letter of the law.

• Like 1

Mister Fixit, on 05 May 2014 - 08:54, said:snapback.png

skippybangkok, on 05 May 2014 - 08:36, said:snapback.png

webfact, on 05 May 2014 - 08:30, said:snapback.png

Interesting

It's always been the rule that the final decision rests at the individual Immigration officer's discretion, despite the letter of the law.

As it is in most countries.

Edited by lubbkis

Interesting

Very true. In my case about 8 years ago a bottle of Black Label easily changed their minds.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Get a year visa. AINT HARD

how do you get a year visa?

marry a Thai, get a job here, retire here are among a few ways.

when will all this stop ,we marry thai lady ,build house here come and live ,most of cause no problems ,we support there parents,educate there children ,then get hard time from the government ,visa runs ,our thai wife can come to the west get visa for life without any investment ,can start new life with no problems from the government /work,in the UK free health care ,,about time thailand ,gave as old gents little respect for our efforts ,for sure marrying a thai lady is better than ending up in a OAP home ,well maybe ,and well maybe cheaper

So ghet a visa based on that marriage.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Many farangs don`t want to marry their girlfriend. Marrying just for getting a one year visa, is definitely a wrong reason.

Many of us are also under the age of retirement, and some people doesn`t meet the money aquirements for that kind of visa.

So many people fall between chairs here, so it isn`t that easy.

Yes, those people can not be here legally, except on tourist visa.

• Like 2

it is hard for people younger than 50 such as myself, not married with thai. unless i wanna do some ED fraud farce thing of course.......... what's the difference then with going to Kawthoung (where I have been 25x or so sofar).....................

• Like 1

Thaibreaker is absolutely right!

It seems incredible that a country like Thailand which relies so heavily on tourism, makes it so incredibly difficult for people to stay here for any more than the standard 28 days!

This paranoia even extends to the well-off ! For instance, a private individual cannot own or operate a helicopter in Thailand ! Why not? Apparently because they might go smuggling with it across the various borders!! But you can own a fixed wing aircraft which would be far more convenient and carry more goods! Any development I am involved in, will have a hallmark all-weather Helipad included, as one day someone will see common sense! I am relying

on it !

Many farangs don`t want to marry their girlfriend. Marrying just for getting a one year visa, is definitely a wrong reason.

Many of us are also under the age of retirement, and some people doesn`t meet the money aquirements for that kind of visa.

So many people fall between chairs here, so it isn`t that easy.

Totally agree, especially if under 50 years old... And: No, not everyone needs to work until 50 but can retire, earlier, much earlier.

1. i'm not into marrying, never married in the west, let alone in the east

2. i don't need a job, i have enough to live another XX years (the way i live) and i don't have a criminal record just in case u wonder

3. i retired at a very young age as i had an idea what i wanted to do with my life at a young age and went for it (and made the necessary choices/sacrifices then).

4. i'm not interested in abusing the ED visa thing

now, if i go out in ranong 3x and then go out elsewhere (eg. satun or narathiwat or tak) would that cause any problems? i have done the satun trip 5-6x in a row without problems several years ago. anyway, the rule doesn't make sense since those "bad people" refered to in the article will simply overstay or fly from phuket abroad and back in for 30 days exempt or use other malafide channels.

• Like 2