Koh Samui speedboat madness

webfact

If an accident does happen, and it happens to a farang, no doubt the old Thai "anti logic" will raise its head - "It was the farang's fault - if the farang had not been there in the first place, the accident wouldn't have happened". And similarly, if the accident happened to a Thai, and the speedboat driver was a farang - "Same, same".

ah but if the farangs weren't here paying for rides in the speed boat then the boat wouldn't be there either....

• Like 1

If an accident does happen, and it happens to a farang, no doubt the old Thai "anti logic" will raise its head - "It was the farang's fault - if the farang had not been there in the first place, the accident wouldn't have happened". And similarly, if the accident happened to a Thai, and the speedboat driver was a farang - "Same, same".

Sounds like warped, racist, farang anti Thai, bs to me.

the beach madness is destroying pattaya as well,from jet skis, to the caos created by the tour groups and the morning parasail ,the buses scream down beach rd then triple park to load and on load tour groups,..thailand is a buisness..WE DONT HAVE A BEACH ANYMORE WE HAVE A LOADING ZONE..for speed boats jet skis and parasailing..sawadee no crap

About 20 years too late with that comment mate,who goes to Patts for the beach.

This epitomizes the rational thinking (or lack of it ) by many, many Thais.

The driver does not want to hurt anyone, but lacks the ability to think of the possible & (or) probable consequences of his or her actions.

(Exactly the same on the roads where there are almost no peripheral skills evident in most drivers).

It comes about by a lack of correct parental upbringing,minimal education resulting in no problem solving skills & a Thai male

attitude of me, me, me.

Simple impound the boat for 6 months plus 20k baht fine. Proof of insurance to operate a business, wake-up 2015 ASEAN means money, progess and development for the future. So, do business like other courtries and emfore laws. Maritime law is one of the oldest laws that even applied to small vessels in a harbor area.

Disappointing that the tourists still support these gas guzzling boats driven by inadequate ego tripping imbeciles.

Iv'e seen speed boats in Phuket equipped with 4 250Hp outboards, what for to ensure you all have a back problem after being hammered across the waves!

I walked this whole section of this beach today, from past the Lomprayah ferry terminal to the end of Soi Maenam Resort road, as I often do.... no sign of this boat, in the water, or moored ...

For all anyone knows it could have been farangs who had rented this from another area of the island .... One sometimes sees the one jet ski, in the area riding too close to the beach... not driven by Thai's or Burmese BTW! whistling.gif

• Like 2

ah but if the farangs weren't here paying for rides in the speed boat then the boat wouldn't be there either....

I see your point! However, in this instance, I see no farang in the speed boat - just an idiotic driver, and if I was a farang in the speed boat, I would "have a word " with the driver! And to bring up an old chestnut, if the "dumb" farangs hadn't invented the speed boats in the first place........?

Not at all. it's been said to me many times before, by my long time (8 years) Thai girlfriend and others, if anything untoward happens. And basically, it's all come about because of the fact that for the most part, the average farang/ tourist has more money than the average Thai ("Otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford to be here in the first place".) Take a typical scenario where a Thai and a farang have a "coming together of motor bikes" and the police are called. Odds are that the Thai has little or no money, but the farang has a few thousand baht about his person (in case of emergencies.) Who do you think that the police will try to blame for the accident? No prizes for the correct answer, as I personally know of a couple of cases where this has happened, and the police have altered the "evidence" to suit the circumstances. (Not saying that it happens in every case, but is certainly another of the "tea money" scams (50% cash to the police, 50% cash to the Thai) Funny how the problem goes away if the farang has a Thai driving license, and the Thai doesn't? Once again - happened to a friend of mine, so don't give me "warped, racist, farang anti Thai bs"!

Not at all. it's been said to me many times before, by my long time (8 years) Thai girlfriend and others, if anything untoward happens. And basically, it's all come about because of the fact that for the most part, the average farang/ tourist has more money than the average Thai ("Otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford to be here in the first place".) Take a typical scenario where a Thai and a farang have a "coming together of motor bikes" and the police are called. Odds are that the Thai has little or no money, but the farang has a few thousand baht about his person (in case of emergencies.) Who do you think that the police will try to blame for the accident? No prizes for the correct answer, as I personally know of a couple of cases where this has happened, and the police have altered the "evidence" to suit the circumstances. (Not saying that it happens in every case, but is certainly another of the "tea money" scams (50% cash to the police, 50% cash to the Thai) Funny how the problem goes away if the farang has a Thai driving license, and the Thai doesn't? Once again - happened to a friend of mine, so don't give me "warped, racist, farang anti Thai bs"!

You're 20 years out of date and have no idea how wealthy middle and upper class thai people are. Seems to me the average farang only has more funds than those on minimum wage in Thailand or the average bar ho from bumpkin land.

You're 20 years out of date and have no idea how wealthy middle and upper class thai people are. Seems to me the average farang only has more funds than those on minimum wage in Thailand or the average bar ho from bumpkin land.

I don't understand what your first sentence has to do with my post! 20 years out of date?The fact that there are wealthy Thais is irrelevant (The wealthy Thais would probably not be riding a motor bike anyway) What I am saying is that in the majority of cases, if there is a motor bike accident between a Thai and a farang, the farang will in most cases get the blame.

I don't understand what your first sentence has to do with my post! 20 years out of date?The fact that there are wealthy Thais is irrelevant (The wealthy Thais would probably not be riding a motor bike anyway) What I am saying is that in the majority of cases, if there is a motor bike accident between a Thai and a farang, the farang will in most cases get the blame.

Because we are in a foreign country and we should respect there way and their laws

I just don't understand why most of you are still here unless you just use this page to anonymously vent your anger

Funny I don't see these style comments on face book where people find it harder to hide behind a screen

• Like 2

Because we are in a foreign country and we should respect there way and their laws

I just don't understand why most of you are still here unless you just use this page to anonymously vent your anger

Funny I don't see these style comments on face book where people find it harder to hide behind a screen

First of all, I am not "venting my anger", and agree that we should respect their ways and their laws, but only if they respect my rights as a resident, tourist, "farang" whatever you care to call me. Does respecting "their ways and their laws" mean that I have to cough up for the costs in an accident that wasn't my fault purely because I am not Thai? And finally, we are not on Facebook, we are on Thai Visa where we can freely voice our opinions (to a certain extent) on things that happen in Thailand - not the rest of the world.

sambum

Posted 20 minutes ago

BigC, on 16 Feb 2015 - 08:46, said:snapback.png

First of all, I am not "venting my anger", and agree that we should respect their ways and their laws, but only if they respect my rights as a resident, tourist, "farang" whatever you care to call me. Does respecting "their ways and their laws" mean that I have to cough up for the costs in an accident that wasn't my fault purely because I am not Thai? And finally, we are not on Facebook, we are on Thai Visa where we can freely voice our opinions (to a certain extent) on things that happen in Thailand - not the rest of the world.

snapback.png

The beach shown on the top photo is the public beach next to the Lomprayah pier. The speedboats comes from a "sister company" called Lomlahk.

The speedboats in the background by the pier belong to Lomlahk (the big white ones) this blue boat appears to be some other company.

Just saying, you have the area right but if we are going to point fingers at idiots make sure you get the right idiots.

Yes, this blue sided boat is not a Lomlahk boat .... I go to that beach area most days, but never seen the blue sided one.... but who ever it is, should be stopped!

This is a Lomlahk boat, which one never sees driving in that manner...

Phangan%2520Feb%2520-0060.jpg

I was not trying to “point fingers”, just a remark about who uses the Lomprayah pier – sorry to be misunderstood.
I saw this boat "parked" at Maenam Beach today:
post-122720-0-98385300-1424671982_thumb.
Seems like that could be the one in question. The text on the side says: “Private speed boat for you”; which may be understood like a boat for rent you can “drive” yourself...
wink.png
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...