Is It Possible To Filter Out

mandl

This looks like a pretty sophisticated forum software package we're using here.

The problem is that while reading through an interesting thread, one all too often comes across one or more posts that are nothing more than a troll trying to get a rise or a personal attack on another member. There are certain members who post nothing but flames and personal attacks.

My question is: Is it possible to give each member the ability to block posts by members that he / she doesn't care to read. In our Control Panel we can set up a "Buddies" list of members that we want to allow (or not allow) to PM us. Why not be able to add members names to a list of those whose posts would then not show up when we're reading a thread. There are some members whose posts are simply not worth the time to read. Most of us know who they are. These are invariably followed by posts from those who believe they have been offended or simply feel the need to vent. The thread often digresses into a juvenile shouting match.

I'm not talking about banning anyone's comments. I talking about an individual list that each member could set up or not, according to their wishes like the "Buddies" list.

I don't know if this is possible or not with the software you're using. But I, for one, would certainly like to not have to read the posts of some of our members.

Ok - had my say again. Flame away. :o

simple if you don't wanna read it, don't read it.

That's true. Let's see what George has to say on the matter. I will bring the post to his attention.

George says everything is possible, and he'll check with invisionboard as to whether they have done a kill facility before.

simple if you don't wanna read it, don't read it.

That's true. Let's see what George has to say on the matter. I will bring the post to his attention.

George says everything is possible, and he'll check with invisionboard as to whether they have done a kill facility before.

Good idea for some but most of the troll and dickshits here are easily dealt with, is a bit of fun really. Ercos reincarnations come to mind, not even a challenge really.

It would be good to be able to get rid of some of the idiots that inhabit the chat room though, they deliberately try to invoke a response, it doesn't worry me but other chat members have been offended, I reckon you know who George.

I don't know if that is such a good idea. Some would leave the forum or stay while posting to themselves only. Polo or Erco come to mind.

Isn't this a collection of thoughts and ideas that bring us together?

Imagine having a conversation with someone and that person just ignores you. Kind of disrespectful and it would cause many to just walk away. Heck they may even block me. The I would have to change identity, avatar and start all over again.

I don't mind, if somebody comes in with a witty (or so he thinks :o )remark, as long as it is somewhere within the context of the threat.

The only things that irritate me, although only slightly, are explicits, somebody brings up when he (or she?) have no more arguments to be discussed and neither wants to admit that the other persons are right or at least might have a point. This is something that seems to happen especially when discusing politics.

I don't know if that is such a good idea. Some would leave the forum or stay while posting to themselves only. Polo or Erco come to mind.

Imagine having a conversation with someone and that person just ignores you. Kind of disrespectful and it would cause many to just walk away. Heck they may even block me. The I would have to change identity, avatar and start all over again.

Guess your refering to Bashir or the Gentleman, who seem to have nothing to say except abuse and Marmite. Maybe the new software could recogonise their Niks and delete their post as unworthy.

I think that the sooner we get the

computer equivalent of book burning,

the better we are all going to feel.

Pre-censorship..if only it was possible.

Hey, I think China has a handle on that

with internet filtering...lets ask them!

I don't know if that is such a good idea.  Some would leave the forum or stay while posting to themselves only.  Polo or Erco come to mind.

Imagine having a conversation with someone and that person just ignores you.  Kind of  disrespectful and it would cause many to just walk away.  Heck they may even block me.  The I would have to change identity, avatar and start all over again.

Guess your refering to Bashir or the Gentleman, who seem to have nothing to say except abuse and Marmite. Maybe the new software could recogonise their Niks and delete their post as unworthy.

Dear spotty thick jock with a small willy

if there was blocking software I would try to block myself, I hate having to listen to the crap I write... but then it is 100 times better than the tartan <deleted> you put out

Bash

Mandl:

I'm not talking about banning anyone's comments. I talking about an individual list that each member could set up or not, according to their wishes like the "Buddies" list.
This would be an individual decision, not a forum-wide ban. If I choose to ignore a particular member, that is my decision and does not affect their ability to post so that others may see their comments.

ProThaiExpat:

Pollution is pollution and any form of pollution control would be welcome and a boon to mental health.

My point exactly.

George:

We are soon upgrading this board to next version of Invision Power Board (version 3). A lot of new features is on the way!
Is this capability going to be one of the new features?

Mouse:

Absolutely! But the members posts that I'm referring to are insulting, divisive, and are not constructive or funny.

Bad News:

I think that the sooner we get the

computer equivalent of book burning,

the better we are all going to feel.

Pre-censorship..if only it was possible.

I'm not talking about abridging anyone's freedom of speech here. Only about our right as individuals to not have to listen to (or in this case, read) comments from people that we feel are insulting. Life is too short to waste on reading comments that have no bearing on the subject at hand or are deliberately meant to degrade, insult, or provoke an angry response. That is not the reason for this forum, as I understand the rules.

I think that some good-natured joking between members who "know" each other on the forum is fine. It's the members who post hurtful comments that are uncalled for that I would like to be able to choose to ignore.

Hope this helps clarify my position on this subject.

Get the flamethrowers out. :o

mandl

Polo and Erco. Very similar warped minds :o

I don't know if that is such a good idea.  Some would leave the forum or stay while posting to themselves only.  Polo or Erco come to mind.

Imagine having a conversation with someone and that person just ignores you.  Kind of  disrespectful and it would cause many to just walk away.  Heck they may even block me.  The I would have to change identity, avatar and start all over again.

Polo and Erco. Very similar warped minds :D

They sound like broken records to me Doc. :o

• 1 month later...
Well it has been more than a month since the "improvements" have been "comming". 

Hopefully, George hasn't forgotten this very worthy suggestion for forum improvement.

below is a message from invision concerning the latest release of IPB, we won't upgrade thaivisa.com before it is more stable.

Upgrading from IPB 1.3

There is no upgrade path to upgrade from IPB 1.3 yet (still). I really wanted to get IPB 2.0.0 as stable as possible before letting it loose on established boards with real live data. PDR 5 is the most stable release to date and I can now begin work on the 1.3 -> 2.0 upgrader.

What's next?

There are a small number of minor bugs left to fix before we get to RC1. We hope to bring you RC1 early next week if we continue the speedy pace we've achieved over the past few weeks.

we are not sure if a "member filter" will be included in the 2.0 final at this time

I've got no beef with mods posting as long as they exhibit some sense of balance rather than putting up inflammatory crap to get others of a different political idiology thrown off. :D

Maybe you should post this thread in the bearpit also.

And I would most probably agree with you.

In a political forum, issues are more, well, politically charged and hence the moderators should be neutral and refrain from posting,...

posted by Georgie-Porgie

There is no sense in putting something like this on The Bear-Pit right now. The two mods would just call it a "personal attack" on the moderator, and delete the whole statement.

How can someone discuss important problems with a forum when it is instantly wiped off the screen, over and over,  by the powers that be??

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I would guess that mandl is referring to posts like the above. These posts would not be allowed in The Bear-Pit with two of the current moderators. The posts would be completely wiped out, called "personal attacks" and if the writer persisted in submitting them, he would be suspended.
mandl Posted on Mon 2004-05-10, 00:28:58

I'm not talking about abridging anyone's freedom of speech here. Only about our right as individuals to not have to listen to (or in this case, read) comments from people that we feel are insulting. Life is too short to waste on reading comments that have no bearing on the subject at hand or are deliberately meant to degrade, insult, or provoke an angry response. That is not the reason for this forum, as I understand the rules.

:o

Thank you very much Huski and George for your update.

The desired objective of "bloking" posts of certain members by other individuals, I am assuming, is a filter in the Thaivisa feature that forwards posts in designated threads to be sent to our e-mail.

Is there any other way undesireable posts could be kept from an individuals viewing when they merely just login and read a threadand the posts displayed thereby. ie, a filter that would affect the log-in process of an individual member???

mandl Posted on Mon 2004-05-10, 00:28:58

Turn the channel, buddy! :o

Polo and Erco. Very similar warped minds :o

dr pat, did sweet mango slip your mind? :D