Yellow Tambien Ban

You ever heard of such, I'd not. Saw something recently about it so did some googling.

Sunee & I went down to the local amphur this morning and in about an hour walked out with one.

Might be handy one day, at least sure don't need an address verification from the U.S. Embassy any more for use in Thailand.  

FYI, I'm on the one-year retirement extension of my non-O visa, have been since May 1998.  Sunee and I were married in the U.S. in 1999, not registered here, which didn't present a problem.  Contrary to below, I didn't have to present my old passports for all the time I've been in and out of Thailand, happily, since this started in 1964!!  I've been back permanently since 1989.  Sunee owns our house where we've been since 1996.

Did need my parents names, had left my birth certificate at home but they took my word for it, nice of them.

The gent at the amphur knew about the yellow tambien baan altho he said he'd not done any for a long time, guess its existence isn't too well known.  He filled out the initial application for us/me and sent us over to two gals who do the real paperwork.  One filled out info on the PC while the other gal filled out 3-4 more forms for Sunee to sign, I only signed one of them.

My yellow tambien baan uses our house address, cites Sunee's blue tambien baan 

number and her Thai ID number as a references.  Other than that, looks the same as the blue one.

Interesting process, painless, but reckon this depends on the amphur and their attitude on the day you walk in.

Mac

Tabien Baan, Yellow

(FYI, below not from Mac, just downloaded)

http://yahoo.com/living-in-thailand-tha...-i-got-one.html

Yellow Tabien Baan. I got one.

It has taken a few days but I have now been issued with my own personal Tabien Baan book in lovely bright yellow.

The wife and I had to apply in person at the Tessaban. Our office here had never heard of a yellow book before so we had to wait two days whilst the regulations were explored and an empty book sent.

We were both interviewed, the wife had to approve my name being in the book and I had to make a statement that I was now living full time in Thailand.

Documents needed were wife's tabien book and ID card.

My passport (current and previous) dating back to when I arrived in LOS.

Marriage Certificate & Marriage Agreement (copy only)

Copies of everything needed, of course.

They did not ask for my birth certificate but when I showed it to them they thought it looked nice and so wanted a copy. This was a good move because full name of my parents was needed and the BC confirmed it.

The form filling took a good hour with loads of questions but the officer has to do all the writing.

The main criteria for issuing the book seems to be that you have lived in Thailand continuously for a lengthy time and want to remain here.

This book never expires and can be used anywhere in Thailand as proof of address.

Last edited by Thetyim : 03-11-2006 at 05:10 PM.

post-32650-1171345502_thumb.jpg

This is already being discussed in the Housing section and since it seems more appropriate there, will move it.

Glad to hear it was so easy, did you need the copies of passports then? I plan on going for mine this week (hopefully!) or next so will post my experience here as well.

Thanks for posting your experiences :o

This is already being discussed in the Housing section and since it seems more appropriate there, will move it.

Glad to hear it was so easy, did you need the copies of passports then? I plan on going for mine this week (hopefully!) or next so will post my experience here as well.

Can a topic be in more than one forum?  I put it in the "visas & such" mainly because many folks ask about getting an address verification from their embassy, and about documentation for staying in Thailand.  Reckon this yellow book would also help down at Suan Plu Immigration come renewal time.

FYI, I didn't even know this sub forum about "housing" existed, hadn't looked for it as we already have a house.

Oh, yes, only copy of my current passport and the page with the current Immigration extension, just issued a couple weeks ago.  The guy at the amphur initially asked for translations of that page and the data page of the passport but then relented when I said we'd take it home, give it a try, and ask the 13-year old Thai nephew to type it out in Thai.

Mac

• 10 months later...

Hi sbk, did you ever get around to applying for your yellow book?

• 1 year later...

I got mine last week, the woman at the amphur office was a bit of a dimwit to be honest but I gritted my teeth and got what I needed.

I had to have the following:

Marriage certificate

Wifes Tabien Baan

Translation of my passport into Thai

Passport

I didn't have the embassy letter they required (no idea what they wanted so I just BS'd them) so theyy accepted having the Phuyaai Baan come in and sign to say that I was of good character and not a drunkard etc.

Wifes ID Card and copies of all of thhe above.

One thing they didn't tell me until the day was that they wanted 2 passport sized pics and asked questions such as when was the exact date I first came to Thailand????? I just gave them a date as it was 3 passports ago.

I also needed to give them my parents names in Thai, no problem but you might want to do some advance research and get these if you can't read and write Thai.

From what I can see the regs vary from amphur to amphur and if you speak Thai well enough you can steer them around to your way of thinking, you just need to be a bit forrceful because the first person I spoke tto gave me a flat No, you can't get one, never hear of them, needleess to say I persisted and had one a week later.

Just for info, I got the passport translation done online and EMS'd to me here becuause I couldn't be bothered flying back to bangkok, it was a good service and I had it in 2 days.

• 3 years later...

very helpful post!

Only the part for translating the passport with all the necessary pages and have the certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in my case in Chiang Mai),you did not mention that service.

Also the Puyai Baan has to go to the Amphur and sign for me a character evaluation.

Others who got their Yellow Tambian Baan did not mention such.

I went to my embassy in Bangkok to ask for a residency certificate as they issued one for me for the last 4 years, but this time they said I should get one from the Amphur or immigration, seems to me Catch 22.

The posession of such Yellow Tambian Baan would eliminate letters from the immigration or embassy's??

Would assist to get licenses, national healthcare, apply for utilities, open bank accounts among others , register cars etc.