Adsl In Chiang Mai

ChiangMaiThai

Does anyone know all the companies that offer ADSL in Chiang Mai? (Is there more than one?) I can tell you that TT&T is one. I'm looking for an alternative.

Please note that I am not looking for simple resellers, but actual providers. For example, CMNet is simply a reseller for TT&T so whenever you have a problem with CMNet, they tell you to talk to TT&T. I'm not interested in these companies... Thanks.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one I have come across is TT&T & their office in Airport Plaza. Be aware though that many areas are "over subscribed" and connect speeds are not all that good. (Internet cafes in your area are a bad sign.)

I investigated it for both home & business, but home is too far from a connect point & business area has no free lines.

I'm using TT&T now and am having a ###### of a time trying to get an IP phone to work with it. I've got friends in BKK on TRUE and Samart who use this same phone no problem. TT&T is good for regular Internet, but apparently its got some problems with IP phones.

They actually told me I should try their competitors:

You can try on new ISP such as CSLoxinfo or KSC ADSL package.I think it may be better.CSLoxinfo 053-400340,053-400354,053-225345 KSC 053-892600.The package is not so expensive and maybe solve yours ploblem

P1P, you might look into these two. Although, CSLoxinfo got some terrible reviews in another thread...

KSC gets good reviews from the few -- well, exactly three -- people I know who are using their DLS program. I may give it a try in a month or so, too busy now to go through application and installation.

Anyone heard anything negative about KSC DSL?

KSC gets good reviews from the few -- well, exactly three -- people I know who are using their DLS program. I may give it a try in a month or so, too busy now to go through application and installation.

Three out of three is good. I wonder what its like price wise compared to the 1000 baht a month unlimited from TSpeed. I'll try to find out today...

Three out of three is good. I wonder what its like price wise compared to the 1000 baht a month unlimited from TSpeed. I'll try to find out today...

Here are the prices. One of the three people who have given good feedback on KSC is a thaivisa.com member, Lordfoul, in an earlier thread.

Another was an American who uses broadband for his work daily and has had KSC for quite awhile. He said the speed varied a bit but for the most part no dropouts, etc. He thought it was the best thing going and seemed like he knew what he was talking about. CMT you're our offical broadband guinea pig by now, why don't you give it a try and report back? :o

KSC DSL prices

Here are the prices. One of the three people who have given good feedback on KSC is a thaivisa.com member, Lordfoul, in an earlier thread.

Another was an American who uses broadband for his work daily and has had KSC for quite awhile. He said the speed varied a bit but for the most part no dropouts, etc. He thought it was the best thing going and seemed like he knew what he was talking about. CMT you're our offical broadband guinea pig by now, why don't you give it a try and report back? :o

KSC DSL prices

Thanks for the price list. The problem is that now I am on TSpeed for only 1000 baht a month and it finally works quite well. I get 100k to 400k and downloads around 50. But of course the one major problem is that apparenlty it won't work with Vonage. I guess I could pay 2,500 and have a slower connection that TSpeed, but would probably save more money in long distance calls....

Jesus, is anything ever simple and straight forward here?

I probably will end up trying it. I'm quite happy to sacrifice my time and money for the good of those who dare not venture where I boldly go.

We have ordered a subscribtion with TOT. They offer 256/128 for 500 and 512/256 for 700 baht a month. Our order was made in February, and from the webpage http://www.tot.co.th/en/news/totnews_detail.php?news_id=211 we have gotten the "green light" in mid June. We gave the TOT office a call then, but they were still not able to connect us. To get a TOT ADSL you will have to have a TOT phone line.

Good luck!

Someone said that TT&T provide ADSL

So too do TOT and Loxinfo.

When it comes to the costings Loxinfo is an absolute joke.

Maybe there is a provider in C'mai (that provides a cost efficient service) but to date I haven't found who it is.

Good luck and let us (all) know of how you do.

Have a look a JI-NET

Far as i know they are the real thing

Offering 256 at 1250 a month unlimited anf 512 at double.

Had a chat with the girl in their new Pantip (chang Klan Rd ) store They have some pc's to play on too.

Can not recall what floor but near the escalator at the southern end. Not to many shops in there to be confused with as yet;-)

Jesus is anything ever simple here

are you a missionary? :o

Answer. Sure ring Loxinfo and it is simple...........but price:-)

Have a look a JI-NET

I have tested Ji-net DSL and it seems to work well .. the package you quoted (DSL-Compax) comes with the following limitations.

DSL-Compax 256 The data transfer is limited to 5GB/month. If you exceed this capacity your speed will be reduced to 25 Kbs.

DSL-Compax 512 The data transfer is limited to 10GB/month. If you exceed this capacity your speed will be reduced to 50 Kbs.

They also offer DSL-Plus 256 & 512 for 3500 & 6000 these packages have no transfer limitations that I am aware of.

/SM

Have a look a JI-NET

Had a chat with the girl in their new Pantip (chang Klan Rd ) store They have some pc's to play on too.

Can not recall what floor but near the escalator at the southern end. Not to many shops in there to be confused with as yet;-)

Jesus is anything ever simple here
are you a missionary? :o

Answer. Sure ring Loxinfo and it is simple...........but price:-)

Thanks Cute Thai Girl. (Why don't you post your pic for us all?)

I'm wary of spending 250 baht more and whatever installation fees to get a slower connection UNLESS i know absolutley for sure that this Vonage phone thing won't work with TT&T and will work with Ji-Net. But trying to figure this out is complex indeed.

IS Ji-Net an ISP or just a retailer for an ISP?

Thanks Cute Thai Girl. (Why don't you post your pic for us all?)

Do you really think 'she' is a cute Thai girl?

No more than you are a Chiang Mai Thai, I think... :o

Good point. When people get upset with me here, I like to point out that they're allowing their blood pressure to rise based on the opinions of some idiot who calls himself ChiangMaiThai and has nothing better to do than to argue with strangers on the internet.

At any rate, I checked out the Ji-Net site.

http://www.ji-net.com/zone/DSL_Promotion.asp

What is it saying about TRUE and TOT?

They are saying the deal is for TOT or True lines only (no TT&T..)

/SM

That's what I thought. Of course, I have a TT&T line. The fun continues in the hub of SE Asia.

They have (or had) a promotion for TT&T lines but it was 3500BT/Month for 256/128

I have yet to find both cheap and good lines .. I will Use KSC again on my next project and I will have a second line with Ji-net as a back-up. Internet directly from TOT or TT&T isn't reliable and CSloxinfo are no better than KSC but they charge nearly twice as much.

/SM

They are saying the deal is for TOT or True lines only (no TT&T..)

/SM

That's what I thought. Of course, I have a TT&T line. The fun continues in the hub of SE Asia.

They have (or had) a promotion for TT&T lines but it was 3500BT/Month for 256/128

I have yet to find both cheap and good lines .. I will Use KSC again on my next project and I will have a second line with Ji-net as a back-up. Internet directly from TOT or TT&T isn't reliable and CSloxinfo are no better than KSC but they charge nearly twice as much.

/SM

That's my whole dimemma. TSpeed is actually performing quite well for me for only 1000 baht a month. But apparently its going to be a bitch to try to get it to work with Vonage. So do I pay three times as much for a slower connection that will allow me to use Vonage? I don't know. I do know that I'm going to TT&T's office tomorrow and I'm not leaving til I get all the information I've been asking for by e-mail all week. Eventually this will be settled.

That's my whole dimemma. TSpeed is actually performing quite well for me for only 1000 baht a month. But apparently its going to be a bitch to try to get it to work with Vonage. So do I pay three times as much for a slower connection that will allow me to use Vonage? I don't know. I do know that I'm going to TT&T's office tomorrow and I'm not leaving til I get all the information I've been asking for by e-mail all week. Eventually this will be settled.

Out of curiosity how is your home network setup? are you using a ethernet DSL router/modem or a USB DSL Router/modem? where is your Vonage Telephony device hooked in?

/SM

Out of curiosity how is your home network setup? are you using a ethernet DSL router/modem or a USB DSL Router/modem? where is your Vonage Telephony device hooked in?

/SM

Ethernet ADSL router.

ADSL phone line comes into router.

Ethernet port from router goes into WAN port of Motorolla device from Vonage.

PC port of Motorolla device connects to computer.

Phone connects to phone port on Motorolla device. And then you pick up the phone and hear a US dial tone.

But I can never even get thw Motorolla device to recognize the router...

Ethernet ADSL router.

Phone connects to phone port on Motorolla device. And then you pick up the phone and hear a US dial tone.

Does your PC also hook directly to your DSL router by way of ethernet or Does the Motorola device act as a passthrough?

Can you Manual assign the Motorola device an IP address ?

Aslo I am wondering if you might need to set-up Port forwarding on your router.

/SM

Ethernet ADSL router.

Does your PC also hook directly to your DSL router by way of ethernet or Does the Motorola device act as a passthrough?

Can you Manual assign the Motorola device an IP address ?

Aslo I am wondering if you might need to set-up Port forwarding on your router.

/SM

Motorolla device acts as a passthrough.

Not quite sure I understand the IP address question. The M device has its own IP address that can't be changed.

Port forwarding has been mentioned, but there's no options for it when I look at the modem's page. And I'm not a computer person.

Anyway, TT&T says they don't think it will work because CAT issues them with private IP addresses. CAT doesn't respond to my e-mails and apparently doesn't respond to TT&T either, although I don't understand why they can't just call CAT and have the answer we need in about 5 minutes. TT&T told me I should go to their competitors.

Also said to come test it at their office which is going to solve nothing.

Vonage says it will work with private IP addresses if I can get the

IP address

Aubnet Mask

Default Gateway

DNS Servers

and make sure these UDP ports are open

5060-5063SIP

TFTP 69

10,000 to 20,000

But trying to get CAT or TT&T to acknowledge and assist in this matter is amounting to much frustration. CAT doesn't bother to reply and TT&T says they can't do anything as CAT doesn't respond to them, as if that's supposed to make things better...

We all have to admit, some things are just better in the West. There's no way around the fact.

I think Maybe TT&T doesn't understand what the term "Private IP address" means.

I don't think they can be providing you with one through dsl .. Your router however is providing you with a Private IP (probably 192.168.x.x) and this is why you may need to set up port forwarding.

I guess an easy way to find out would be to go into your DSL routers setup and look for the external IP address.

I think When Vonage says that it will work with a private address they mean a private Address from Your network (Your side of The DSL Router).

I have to admit though this Shared Bandwidth DSL thing that TT&T has is a bit strange to me.

/SM

Went to TT&T head office. They used a loxinfo username and password and Vonage was working within 1 minute. Since I was there, they had to call CAT. CAT says it won't unblock the neccessary ports as they'd prefer I pay them when I want to make int. calls. I didn't bother trying to explain customer service and how I am a customer of TT&T, not CAT etc. etc. On top of that, TSpeed doesn't offer real IP addresses so it probably wouldn't work anyway.

So I went to Loxinfo. I think they've gone a little crazy over there. They have a new 'promotion' for 1500 baht. 256/128 unlimited domestic/international, BUT you share with 50 people. I pointed out that that would mean that if everyone was on the internet, your high speed ADSL would be giving you 5k. WOW! Even if ten people were using their ADSL, you'd get an amazing 25k. When I pointed this out, they pretty much conceeded that it is useless for international and I should really pay 10,000 baht a month if I need a steady and reliable 256k connection. Whatever.

I'll check KSC tomorrow.

I have tried about all of the ISPs in thailand and have found none that have a steady internet connection without dropoffs, IP phone is useless sometimes and good others,no matter which IP you use ,they all seem to run the same net hookup and it is not a dependable connection.. It was better a few years ago than it is now,seems like Thaksin's rise to power has had something to do with it,but can't figure why.

Altho I can't get a line for DSL and I have tried satellite but could see no advantage as far as the net connection dependability was concerned.

Somethings are better in the West and some in the East.

What is the problem with dial up?

Gets there in the end and whats the hurry....Chill you say??

ct

www.vonage.com

Minimum 90k needed all the time.

Also, much of what the internet is becoming is based on broadband connections. If all you do is send e-mail, dial up is fine, but there's a lot more the internet can do if you have access to true high speed connections.

I have tried about all of the ISPs in thailand and have found none that have a steady internet connection without dropoffs, IP phone is useless sometimes and good others,no matter which IP you use ,they all seem to run the same net hookup and it is not a dependable connection.. It was better a few years ago than it is now,seems like Thaksin's rise to power has had something to do with it,but can't figure why.

Altho I can't get a line for DSL and I have tried satellite but could see no advantage as far as the net connection dependability was concerned.

I would have thought that it would be Thaksin who would finally bring real high spped internet to the major cities in Thailand. I guess its kind of starting with TSpeed, but they have a long, long way to go.