The Famous Yellow Book

I don't know if this is the right place for this questin?

I want to know how long it take to get a Yellow book after papers are handed in to Amphoe. And What all paper are needed?

I have......

Passport plus copies x 3 Non imm O visa

Marriage cert Thai & English orig plus cpoies x 3

House Plan & building permit plus copies x 3

Wifes ID and land title plus copies x3

Is there anything else that I need?

Wife will be getting Blue book next week, and wounder how long it will take to get my yellow book?

Also if someone know just how to g about this? I have read some topic's on this but not a good clear one.

Any help would be great

Reading thru the previous posts on the Subject of the Yellow House book, I find nothing about single / not married guys... Have been living with my girlfreind for past 5 years, built a house about 1 year ago, and would like to obtain the Yellow House Book to ease life paperwork wise...

Anyone experience obtaining one without Marriage Papers??? Or is it only for Husband's / Wifes of Thai nationals???

Pianoman

This is the way I have been told it should work. I already have an usufruct on my wifes house and land, plus all documents mentioned below, and I will do my yellow book application next week, and will let you know the outcome.

1. You are required to go to your Embassy in Thailand to obtain a Certify Letter illustrating your profile (Name, Place of birth, date of birth, marital status, criminal record from home country, salary level, and etc.); and also a certify copy of your Passport.

2. After you have obtained these, you must translate them into Thai language.

3. Then take the the certified documents from the Embassy and their translation to the Consulate Section (Ministry of Foreign Affairs).

4. After all these process has been done. you can then take these documents, plus signed copies to the Amphur. PLUS bringing along the original house registration and the ID card, plus signed copies, of the house owner. The house owner (your wife), must go with you as well. It should be noted that bringing the Village Headsman (Phoo Yai Baan) and perhaps a second witness can be helpful.

If you are officially married this would make the application simpler in terms of a personal relationship and the officer would foresee that the reason that your wife is taking in your name into her house is because you are her spouse. If you are not married, they might interpret into different scenario.

5. Bring the land title, and signed copy, of both sides, preferable annotated with an usufruct in your name.

This process may take quite some time before it can be issued, as there would be a lot of investigation and interview involved and the person to approve this would be the Sheriff (Nai Amphur).

Cheers

I don't know if this is the right place for this questin?

I want to know how long it take to get a Yellow book after papers are handed in to Amphoe. And What all paper are needed?

I have......

Passport plus copies x 3 Non imm O visa

Marriage cert Thai & English orig plus cpoies x 3

House Plan & building permit plus copies x 3

Wifes ID and land title plus copies x3

Is there anything else that I need?

Wife will be getting Blue book next week, and wounder how long it will take to get my yellow book?

Also if someone know just how to g about this? I have read some topic's on this but not a good clear one.

Any help would be great

Can never have too much paperwork, or copies.

The wife & I went down to the local amphur a few months back with lots:

--   marriage certificate & translation to Thai;

--  her ID card, blue tambien ban, chanote on the house, which she owns;

--  my passport & copies, on a retirement extension of the non-O visa;

--  my SCB bank book & copies, plus the monthly deposits, via personal check on my U.S. bank, for the last year (FYI, these were not needed);

--  photos;

--  can't remember anything else.

Walked in, asked where to do the yellow tambien ban, went to that desk, the guy's not busy.  He pulled some forms out, asked me why I wanted such.  I replied that it just seemed like a good idea.  He said not a good reason so proceeded to ask me a few questions then just started to fill in the form himself with answers.  I signed, Sunee signed.  A couple more forms to fill in and sign.

He passed them on to a clerk at a computer to fill in the necessaries on the tambien ban form and shortly the completed yellow one popped out of her printer.  Off to get it signed by a higher level official.

Finish, zero cost, probably less than one hour.

Maybe just a slow day at Thanyaburi but I've always found them cooperative in the 11 years we've lived within their jurisdiction.

Mac

It took me several visits and several weeks to get mine from the Banglamung Amphur.

My main problem was that my name had been translated differently into Thai on one document as compared another, and I had to have it re-translated at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK.

This probably sounds stupid, but I still haven't found a use for it. Every time I offer it as proof of residence or whatever, I am told it is not needed.

So it just sits in my drawer gathering dust.

Can anyone tell me if they have found a useful purpose for this document, as I would dearly love to know. :o

It took me several visits and several weeks to get mine from the Banglamung Amphur.

My main problem was that my name had been translated differently into Thai on one document as compared another, and I had to have it re-translated at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK.

This probably sounds stupid, but I still haven't found a use for it. Every time I offer it as proof of residence or whatever, I am told it is not needed.

Can anyone tell me if they have found a useful purpose for this document, as I would dearly love to know. :o

The only reason would be if someone had sunk their life savings into a house in Thailand. The relationship with teeluk finally ends and you have another document to help you prove ownership of the house but not the land.

On o more morbid note if your wife were to die this would put you in the one and only situation where you could legally own the land under your house upto a limit of one rai. This document would help prove your residence there and aid you in the process before being evicted by her family after the sad event.

On a more serious note: Could it be used to prove your address when obtaining a driving license? proof of address when buying a car?

It really serves no purpose in my opinion. Having said that I am going to attempt to get mine next time I am "home" just to see if I can :D

I am not an attorney nor an expert on life in Thailand. However in my opinion the Yellow House book does NOT prove ANYTHING about OWNERSHIP of a home. It does serve as PROOF of where you RESIDE. I think it is similar as the use a Thai Citizen has for being in a "Blue House Book". It does not mean they OWN the house, they just legally reside in that location.

If you as a Foreigner have your name in a Yellow House Book I know from personal experience (although the MAJOR DISCLAIMER in Thailand, your experience at your local Government office could be different) that you can REGISTER OWNERSHIP of an automobile, motorcycle or truck with this free document as "proof of residence". It was all I needed to prove residency this Friday at a Department of Land Transport office for both a first motorcycle license and renewal of an automobile drivers license.

It was REQUIRED in my individual situation (single at the time) to obtain a BUILDING PERMIT in my name only. A BUILDING PERMIT establishes the OWNERSHIP of a structure in my opinion. It was REQUIRED by the water department for a first time water meter in my name only. It is one of the documents they wanted at TT & T for a telephone line and Internet line in my name only.

I am proud to be an American citizen, I still pay taxes on income in America to the State and Feds, but I am happy to say I no longer have to pay $30 American for an original paper from the Embassy every time I needed to prove residence for some procedures in Thailand.

A "wild card' in my application process for a Yellow House Book was that the office staff asked me (actually it was all in Thai, so they asked my Thai better half) for "proof of medical insurance in Thailand". That was "out of the blue", but I in fact had the valid membership card to a Thai Health Insurance Plan in my wallet.

When opening some Bank Accounts in Thailand having copies of this book made things go smoother and in one trip to the Bank, not several visits.

Not that I will subscribe to True/UBC but they also asked for proof of residence when I looked into this service.

It is also a prerequisite for becoming a LEGAL RESIDENT if my memory serves me correct.

Perhaps some of the Thai Visa Forum members who have jumped through more hoops than I have in dealings can add their experiences.

It was well worth the effort and who could complain about the price?

kAMALABOB2 You have convinced me of its worth already. I am off to the embassy to obtain another letter from them for proof of address. My second one since July.

Your post sounded as you"know" what you are talking about. Can you remeber what you took to the local Amphur to obtain the yellow book? Cheers

I am not an attorney nor an expert on life in Thailand. However in my opinion the Yellow House book does NOT prove ANYTHING about OWNERSHIP of a home. It does serve as PROOF of where you RESIDE. I think it is similar as the use a Thai Citizen has for being in a "Blue House Book". It does not mean they OWN the house, they just legally reside in that location.

If you as a Foreigner have your name in a Yellow House Book I know from personal experience (although the MAJOR DISCLAIMER in Thailand, your experience at your local Government office could be different) that you can REGISTER OWNERSHIP of an automobile, motorcycle or truck with this free document as "proof of residence". It was all I needed to prove residency this Friday at a Department of Land Transport office for both a first motorcycle license and renewal of an automobile drivers license.

It was REQUIRED in my individual situation (single at the time) to obtain a BUILDING PERMIT in my name only. A BUILDING PERMIT establishes the OWNERSHIP of a structure in my opinion. It was REQUIRED by the water department for a first time water meter in my name only. It is one of the documents they wanted at TT & T for a telephone line and Internet line in my name only.

I am proud to be an American citizen, I still pay taxes on income in America to the State and Feds, but I am happy to say I no longer have to pay $30 American for an original paper from the Embassy every time I needed to prove residence for some procedures in Thailand.

A "wild card' in my application process for a Yellow House Book was that the office staff asked me (actually it was all in Thai, so they asked my Thai better half) for "proof of medical insurance in Thailand". That was "out of the blue", but I in fact had the valid membership card to a Thai Health Insurance Plan in my wallet.

When opening some Bank Accounts in Thailand having copies of this book made things go smoother and in one trip to the Bank, not several visits.

Not that I will subscribe to True/UBC but they also asked for proof of residence when I looked into this service.

It is also a prerequisite for becoming a LEGAL RESIDENT if my memory serves me correct.

Perhaps some of the Thai Visa Forum members who have jumped through more hoops than I have in dealings can add their experiences.

It was well worth the effort and who could complain about the price?

A yellow book is not a prerequisite for becoming a permanent resident but it is a requirement for all permanent residents to be registered on a tabian baan. Once you are a permanent resident you can get your own blue book, if you are a householder i.e. if you own your own structure, or condo, or your landlord agrees you can be the householder. Contrary to popular belief amongst Thais it doesn't mean you own the property or can sell it. This is why most Thai landlords will not allow foreign permanent residents to register as householders of their property.

• 1 year later...

I produced my Tambien Baan (house book) at immigration when they wanted to fine me Bt2000 for not doing 90 day reporting. I told them that I am registered with the Amphur and if I change my address I will do that at the Amphur so why do I have to report to immigration? But I still had to pay the fine.

I can't really see much use for the book. I use my Thai driving licence for all my transactions.

Can anyone tell me if they have found a useful purpose for this document, as I would dearly love to know. :)

True you don't need to use it much, especially if you have a Thai DL as well, but it does serve as the final bit proof to get the best and most efficient service from authorites. eg - getting the Thai price at parks, getting whatever bureacratic function performed without copious amounts of other paperwork, tax returns, bank accounts etc

My wife has a yellow book and it means that she is 'in the system' with her own ID number. A lot of govt services can access the central database which all Thai's are on, which is why a Thai ID card is the only thing needed when I go to do anything concernign the government.

For a foreigner, a Passport plus a yellow book is just about the equivalent.

I've found my Yellow Book to be useful in just making some things easier to do. Latest example was getting internet banking with Bangkok Bank. The Yellow Book home/address registration substituted for the separate Certificate of Residence the bank wanted. Bottom line is the Yellow Book just makes getting some things done easier, faster, and cheaper. Goes a long way to prove you are not just visiting Thailand and you are a long term resident. I'm married and was able to get my Yellow Book on the first visit to the local govt office that issues them...total time to get the Yellow Book was approx one hour along with copies of required docs plus some face photos. I was surprised I got it on the first try based on experiences of other ThaiVisa Forum members; guess I was just expecting them to ask for some document I didn't have or running up against a govt official who just didn't want to issue it...basically, my experience in getting the Yellow Book was uneventful and the govt officials were professional/very polite during the process. Maybe I got lucky. :)

I produced my Tambien Baan (house book) at immigration when they wanted to fine me Bt2000 for not doing 90 day reporting. I told them that I am registered with the Amphur and if I change my address I will do that at the Amphur so why do I have to report to immigration? But I still had to pay the fine.

I can't really see much use for the book. I use my Thai driving licence for all my transactions.

Pay the fine, yes, different offices different purposes, and no cross fertilization between the two.

Yellow book might sometimes be better at National Parks, for example. I have both, carry the drivers permit, but when traveling upcountry, also stick the Yellow book in my bag. Last used the YB when renewing my 5-year license at the local DMV. Need it for proof of address, no idea why the soon-to-expire driving permit wouldn't have worked, but it didn't.

TiT.

Mac

Can one obtain a yellow book if one is renting an apartment? I'm just moving into a new self-contained studio in Jomtien. I am pretty sure that it does not yet have a blue tabian bahn or specific address because the studio was created out of an empty shophouse area in an existing building. Is the lack of a registered address and blue book concern me at all??

Simon

Can one obtain a yellow book if one is renting an apartment? I'm just moving into a new self-contained studio in Jomtien. I am pretty sure that it does not yet have a blue tabian bahn or specific address because the studio was created out of an empty shophouse area in an existing building. Is the lack of a registered address and blue book concern me at all??

Simon

Simon,

all you should need is the rental contract in your name, permission from the landlord, a letter from immigration proving you are of non-o visa status and then your local immigration should grant the yellow tabien ban.

To be honest, I've had one for years and have never had to use it. It doesn't amount to much. It is just registration about where you live. Don't get excited about it. It won't give you anymore leverage than a Thai driving license.

GFL

• 3 weeks later...

Applied for my "Yellow book" in Chiang Mai (Hang Dong) today.

Items needed:

Wife & marriage cert.

Wife's ID card

Tambien Baan (house book)

Passport/Visa

3 Pictures

Proof of residence from Immigration

Neighbor from Moo Ban and his Tambien Baan (house book) and ID card. (In person)

Village Chief (In person)

Copys for all the above documents.

No charge...

The tell me it will take 2 weeks and they will call me when it's ready for pick up.

Should of done it years ago, just thinking how much I have spent on all those residence certs......

Edited by highonthai