Ed Visa Vientiane - Trip Report

Here's the break down of my Visa Run to Vientiane for my thai education visa.

Expenses

2600฿ - R/T Flight BKK/UTH

175฿ - Taxi 2 Suvarnabhumi

150฿ - Minivan UTH airport to Border @ Nong Khai

1206฿ - Lao Visa (I paid $36US as it is $1US more to enter Lao on the weekend)

20฿ - Bus across Friendship Bridge

100฿ - Border to Vientiane

1340฿ - Guest House 2 nites

100฿ - Tuk-tuk R/T Thai Embassy

2000฿ - Thai ED Visa

100฿ - Tuk-tuk Hotel/Embassy/Border

150฿ - Minivan Border to UTH Airport

220฿ - Taxi Suvarnabhumi to Home

8161฿ - TOTAL (plus food)

(I used 33.5฿ to $1US as my conversion figure.) I took US dollars, Thai baht and changed money into Kip, but they accepted any currency without problem in Vientiane.

I left last Sunday from Suvarnabhumi to Udon Thani via Air Asia, and returned Tuesday evening. The expenses don't include food costs, or 'entertainment', but the guest house I was at had a really decent free breakfast, and good food was to be had easily.

It was allegedly 'high-season' in Vientiane (although if that was high season I don't wanna see low season). Three of the guest houses which were recommended from the T/V forum were full. It was getting late in the evening and I took a double room at the 4th guest house I tried, which was $8US more a nite, so my costs could have been lower.

I paid too much for the tuk-tuk, to/from the guest house/embassy, but the street I was on the drivers sure knew they had me in a time sensitive situation to get to the embassy. They were pretty consistent with their pricing and I walked all the way down the street asking different drivers, and stopped two tuk-tuks who were going by as well.

The Thai embassy is run with a typical thai mentality. They make you stand outside in the sun with no shade, in a disorderly queue until the gates open at 8:30. I got there at 7:50 and there were already 20+ people in line, and by 8:30 it stretched down the street, I estimate over 150-200 people.

Once the gate opens you make you way to the covered area where you turn in your paperwork. There was absolutely NO reason we could not have waited there to begin with but it is a thai thing which means it is beyond any reason.

Lao people are standing outside selling visa forms, making copies, photos, etc, and telling people what they needed as well. Still TOO many people got to the front of the line without the proper documents, and it slowed things down as they jumped out to fill out paperwork then jumped the queue back in.

They gave fairly good check of your paperwork when you turned it in. That worried me as I'd made all my copies at home BEFORE I left so didn't have the exit stamp from Thailand or the Lao Visa in my copies, but they didn't question it at all.

Several people near me in line were there for tourist visas, and I told them to write 2 entry’s beside the check mark. They were all charged 2000฿ and the next day received 2 entries good for 60 days each. You're certainly not out anything for trying it, and you'll know when you pay inside if you get a double entry if they charge you 2000฿ baht instead of 1000฿.

After turning in your passport, visa application and supporting documents it was off to the office (w/air-con, a plus!) to wait for your name to be called. There was another typical thai mentality 'reverse order scheme’ being used; where the passport turned in last was on the top of the pile and called first inside the office. Many unhappy campers were waiting for their name to be called. Pay, get a receipt, and leave.

The next day they open the gate at 1PM. I got there at noon and there were again 20 people in line. Stand outside in the blistering sun (you could make money renting umbrellas!!). Just before 1PM they bring the passports from the office in big plastic tubs to the covered area, where we turned in our paperwork the day before. At 1PM the gate opens and you make your way to the double line to get your passport. Make sure your receipt from the previous day is handy, as people hunting thru their bag for it slowed the line down again. CHECK that your thai visa is correct BEFORE you leave the desk and you're done.

Left the thai embassy and went directly the border and caught a minivan on the Lao side back thru the thai border and on to the Udon Thani Airport. I received my 90 day stamp when I entered the glorious "Land 'O Thais". I arrived at the Udon Thani AIrport with 90 minutes to spare before the flight was scheduled to board. The flight was late getting in so we took off 20 some minutes after the scheduled departure time.

In Vientiane the food was good; prices are cheap, great breads, rolls, baguettes, etc. I was surprised to see SO many foreign families with children in and around Vientiane as I didn't think Lao PDR was high on any most touristy destination list. Although I don't drink, for what it’s worth I was told the bars close at midnite promptly and people make their way to either a big dance club in a very fancy big hotel or several other dance or music clubs. I was also told the prices go up precipitously in those clubs after midnite for beer, but cannot confirm this information.

On the riverfront the water in the Mekong was WAYYY low with 100+ meters of mud on the Lao side before you got to water, but at the Friendship Bridge it was flowing better.

I will add this; having lived in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" for just over 3 years, I can say without a doubt the people in the Lao PDR were far friendlier, more willing to engage you in conversation in english, thai or lao. They spoke english better (easily by a factor of 10) than the thai people here in Bangkok. They also seemed to smile with their hearts not just their faces like the thais tend to do. None of the people I spoke with were reticent about speaking in english and it seemed they weren’t at all concerned about losing face for not speaking correctly as so many thais I know are.

That's the report. All in all a much enjoyed painless trip; except of course in dealing with the thai , but I tolerate their idiosyncratic behavior as I choose to live in their country. I have every intention of going back to Vientiane for 4 or 5 days to really see the place.

In Vientiane the food was good; prices are cheap, great breads, rolls, baguettes, etc. I was surprised to see SO many foreign families with children in and around Vientiane as I didn't think Lao PDR was high on any most touristy destination list. Although I don't drink, for what it’s worth I was told the bars close at midnite promptly and people make their way to either a big dance club in a very fancy big hotel or several other dance or music clubs. I was also told the prices go up precipitously in those clubs after midnite for beer, but cannot confirm this information.

Nope the prices don't change after midnight - however in general as with all countries where normal bar close early and there is late night drinking places and nightclubs they are in general more expensive than the bars in the town (Don Chan Palace - the big fancy hotel you mean), however there is quite a few other late night drinking places.

It's pleasing to see more families making the holiday trip here - I personally think Vientiane has a uniqueness which makes it appealling just as long as people aren't anticipating masses of nightlife or a beach!! But I know they are all heading up to Luang Prabang but hey that's what brings them here so it's not a bad thing.

On the riverfront the water in the Mekong was WAYYY low with 100+ meters of mud on the Lao side before you got to water, but at the Friendship Bridge it was flowing better.

Normal for this time of year - literally 2 months ago you couldn't see 'Don Chan' (the name of the island) come feb you can normally walk or ride a motorbike on to it. They actually have a night market on there - which month I can't remember!

I will add this; having lived in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" for just over 3 years, I can say without a doubt the people in the Lao PDR were far friendlier, more willing to engage you in conversation in english, thai or lao. They spoke english better (easily by a factor of 10) than the thai people here in Bangkok. They also seemed to smile with their hearts not just their faces like the thais tend to do. None of the people I spoke with were reticent about speaking in english and it seemed they weren’t at all concerned about losing face for not speaking correctly as so many thais I know are.

Face doesn't concern Laotians - I guess it's a little known fact - face is purely a Thai thing. I've never witnessed any Lao person not question or ask if they don't know something, they'll frequently just have a go (I've witness some hysterical scenes resulting from this also)! In fact they have a few insulting words for the Thai mannerism particularly the Hi-so crowd . . . :o As for smiles if I'd of said it I guess no one would believe me since I'd be classed biased :D , but they sure do smile and have a lot more concern over helping people. Also if your Lao or Thai ability is a bit iffy they will actually help you and try understand - not just look at you blankly as is the Thai way!

That's the report. All in all a much enjoyed painless trip; except of course in dealing with the thai , but I tolerate their idiosyncratic behavior as I choose to live in their country. I have every intention of going back to Vientiane for 4 or 5 days to really see the place.

If you want any pointers for your return just drop me a pm. :D

Nice to see your report. I am planing to make the same trip in late january as i just got my first letter from MOE. Do you know when the visa "starts being active"? Is it when you cross the Thailand border again or is it from the date the school stated that the course begin?

I received a Non-Immigrant Type ED visa which had a 90 Day validity or ‘must be used before’ stamp. When I entered Thailand I received a 90 day 'permitted to stay' stamp.

I have already turned in my paperwork and passport to my Thai language school so they can get the letter from the Ministry of Education. I will use that documentation to receive a 90 day extension inside Thailand from Thai Immigrations.

Do you know Tod if they would give you a multiple entry if you applied for it? My understanding is that you got a sinle entry because you applied for a single entry as you want to extend your visa in Thailand, but what some readers are interested in is whether you could get a multiple entry ED from Vientiane. For those who like to make a trip every now and then it is a better option and also this visa can be good for up to 15 months.

Walen School, Mac

...wheather... Walen School, Mac

This got to be a top notch language school. I only hope you're not teaching English... :o

No wonder people keep asking about the visa, rather than the Thai language course!

Edited by 7

I don't know if I would have gotten the Non-Immigrant Type ED visa for a validity of one year like you see issued from Thai Consulates and Embassies in the UK, EU or USA.

I didn't apply for multi-entry but in hindsight I certainly should have; because I do travel outside of Thailand.

My visa from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane had a "must be used before" date of 90 days from the day it was issued, and when I entered Thailand I was issued a 90 day "permitted to stay until" stamp.

Hopefully I can go to Suan Plu; Thai Immigrations in Bangkok and buy either the single or multi re-entry permit, although I am not sure if I will get an additional 90 days when I return or just the balance of days I had left on the 90 day stamp when I left Thailand.

Perhaps 'Lopburi' could weigh in on this as he is the 'go-2-guy' on most visa questions.

Oh and no I am NOT teaching english, I am learning the Thai language, lol. Sorry do not count me amongst the all too numerous starving english teachers here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais". I am retired but too young to 'officially retire' here. This was a better option for me than returning to the US for my visa, as it gives me a year here, AND language lessons as well.

• 1 month later...

A quick update if it helps anyone..:

Costs for my Edvisa trip to Vientiane.

Busfare for two persons Bangkok-Nong khai (450*2) 900 B

Visa package at Nong khai (inckluding, lao visa and transport Nong Khai-Vientiane) 1800 B

ED visa 2000 B

Hotel 2 nights (Stayed in Sengprachanh hotel, had aircon, UBC, inckl. beakfast) (600*2) 1200 B

Rent two bike one day 100 B

Busfare Vientiane-Nong Khai two persons (55*2) 110 B

Busfare two persons Nong Khai-Bangkok (450*2) 900 B

Total cost: 7010 B

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hawkup,

Did you go for a multiple entry or a single entry Ed visa?

Visa package at Nong khai (inckluding, lao visa and transport Nong Khai-Vientiane) 1800 B

ED visa 2000 B

Hotel 2 nights (Stayed in Sengprachanh hotel, had aircon, UBC, inckl. beakfast) (600*2) 1200 B

Hawkup,

Did you go for a multiple entry or a single entry Ed visa?

ED visa 2000 B

You may or may not have noticed that this thread is from January 2008, so it may be better to get more up to date info from one of the other threads.

I was confused when I saw the 2000 Baht charge mentioned for the DE tourist Visa until I looked at the thread date.

Strange when I went to get my visa in Laos there were very few people at the Embassy. It took me maybe 10 minutes to drop off my application, and less than 30 to pick up the visa the next day. This was in August. I did take the advice of a friend and went on a Tuesday. I was told Friday and Monday are terrible days to go as many people try and make a weekend trip out of it.

Edited by DegenFarang

If you have a letter from an accredited insitution saying that you are studying for any certain length of time, you can get a single-entry ED visa for 1 year from the Thai Consulate in Taipei. When I was studying at the Intensive Thai Language Program at Chulalongkorn Uni., they only issued letters to say that you were a student there for the term that you were enrolled in.. which was only 5 weeks. I took that 5-week letter over to Taipei and they gave me a 1 year visa. Never had to report or anything.

May wish to keep that in mind. Flying over to Taipei is not expensive. Just a pain in the ass to get to the consulate in the daytime traffic.

If you have a letter from an accredited insitution saying that you are studying for any certain length of time, you can get a single-entry ED visa for 1 year from the Thai Consulate in Taipei… Never had to report or anything…

This is the first time I hear about a “single-entry ED visa for 1 year”. With one year do you mean

a) the visa was valid for entry into Thailand within one year from the date it was issued; or

B) on arrival with this visa in Thailand you were given permission to stay for one year?

If possible, could you please upload and attach here to your next post scanned copies of the visa and the arrival stamp?

--

Maestro

I don't know if I would have gotten the Non-Immigrant Type ED visa for a validity of one year like you see issued from Thai Consulates and Embassies in the UK, EU or USA.

I didn't apply for multi-entry but in hindsight I certainly should have; because I do travel outside of Thailand.

My visa from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane had a "must be used before" date of 90 days from the day it was issued, and when I entered Thailand I was issued a 90 day "permitted to stay until" stamp.

Hopefully I can go to Suan Plu; Thai Immigrations in Bangkok and buy either the single or multi re-entry permit, although I am not sure if I will get an additional 90 days when I return or just the balance of days I had left on the 90 day stamp when I left Thailand.

Perhaps 'Lopburi' could weigh in on this as he is the 'go-2-guy' on most visa questions.

Oh and no I am NOT teaching english, I am learning the Thai language, lol. Sorry do not count me amongst the all too numerous starving english teachers here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais". I am retired but too young to 'officially retire' here. This was a better option for me than returning to the US for my visa, as it gives me a year here, AND language lessons as well.

When you go to the Royal Thai embassy in Vientiane to apply for and receive your ED Student Visa, you are issued a standard single entry. There is no multiple re-entry permit being issued (nor sold at request) at this initial point of the process that I am aware of; were one doing things by the book (or Thai law).

The multiple re-entry permit that is being discussed here is only something that one can obtain after they receive their ED Student visa and come back into Thailand. This can be done at the local Department of Immigration, nearest to the student's registered place of residence. Usually, the sponsior school, where the student is attending, will assist (and should assist) with the necessary paperwork. A single re-entry permit costs 1,000 THB, or 3,800 for a multiple re-entry permit, but you must depart and arrive back in Thailand within the 90-day window for reporting to your local Department of Immigration in a timely fashion. After all, students study, and do not hop-scotch around the world, if you get my meaning *wink*.

Your first ED Student Visa is for 15 months. Technically you do not have to start classes the first 90 days, but you should report to your sponsor school to let them know you have returned and to tell them your intentions. The study time can begin as late as the remaining 12 months of your initial "15" month ED Student Visa. All continuations of this visa are therafter for a duration of 12 months, since you do not leave the country, and only go to your local DOI to show that you will continue your education and to pay the token 1,900 THB gov't fee.

'Hope this helps!