How To Keep A Tefl Job

We've been discussing on a number of threads how to GET a TEFL job in Thailand, and on those threads the issue of qualifications comes up a lot. I'd like to examine what's required to KEEP a TEFL job in Thailand, and see how those qualifications really seem to help (or not).

VITAL POINTS:

1. Not offending the students or their parents is one of the pre-eminent qualities of a person who will manage to keep a TEFL job in Thailand, especially in a school where the kids are middle class or richer. Depending on the management style of the school, this may involve simple common sense, or completely unacceptable bootlicking and grade-fudging. It's particularly humiliating when you're forced by your supervisor to eliminate a long-standing punishment that the worst brat in the class has refused to give in to for weeks, and then you're blamed for "causing trouble." It can also grate to be told you MUST pass an 8th grade algebra student who can't even multiply single digits.

2. Not offending your management/supervisors/school owners is always a good idea, too. You're not irreplaceable, after all, especially if they've never bothered getting you a work permit.

3. Not offending your coworkers, who must put up with your sorry self every day, is yet another good idea. There's bound to be friction between people who have to work for many long hours together in an alien environment (or with aliens, if they're Thai) but there can be friendship too- try for the latter! In fact, few people are ever fired for not getting along with their coworkers- but they probably should be.

4. Not missing classes unnecessarily (or in some schools, even necessarily).

5. Dressing appropriately (whatever the school defines as appropriate).

6. Not being overly inflexible about last minute changes to everything- tests, curricula, schedules, meetings, trips, everything.

7. Writing grade reports, lesson plans, curriculum outlines, course syllabi, and anything else that's supposed to go into a binder and collect dust.

8. Complying with the director's whim about anything, even if he/she has no clue at all.

9. Remembering (wink, wink) that no Thai students ever fail.

10. Teaching English material at least semi-competently- including basic grammar and vocabulary, with verb tenses including the basic aspects of the past, present, and future.

11. Most important of all- be able to accept any unreasonable changes to your contract with no notice, even if it's not what you signed up for.

IMPORTANT:

1. Knowing what color pen to write with at various times

2. Being able to fill a class for long enough with something the students don't completely hate.

3. Teaching more detail on English grammar, including the perfect tenses, conditionals, and subjunctive mood.

4. Understanding what Thais are saying between the lines when they are giving you advice.

NOT SO IMPORTANT:

1. Professionalism, western style

2. Improvement in students' English

3. Improvement in teachers' abilities

4. Academic honesty by students

I have never once had a discussion with a Thai English teacher about teaching techniques or lesson material- they point me to the classroom and I go. As long as, or maybe since, all the students pass, no one cares what/if they are learning. And as long as there aren't any "problems" caused by your rubbing someone important the wrong way, and you show up at the times you're paid for, you've more or less done your job.

Granted, this is a cynical estimation and certainly does not STOP a teacher from doing his best to be professional- but this is the way of it, to the best of my observation, in the vast majority of schools which employ TEFL teachers.

Given that, I'd say that in Thailand, proper political savvy and keeping cool are at least as valuable, if not more, than any actual knowledge, training, or experience in TEFL. Having the qualification helps you GET the job- but there is much, much more to KEEPING the job.

I often see people advising that it's best to avoid "office politics" especially when female ajarns at universities are involved. What exactly do people mean when they say this? Just general back-biting or is there something specific to watch out for?

More characteristically good stuff from IJWT. I must say, I miss you on ajarn.com, 'Steven', but happy that you post so much in this forum.

In response to nomade, yes "office politics" are best avoided if you are a farang teacher, it's just not worth getting uptight about personalities and problems. There tends to be more female ajarns than male ajarns at many universities (particularly in language departments for some reason) and they are there (usually) for life and so into empire-building and one-upmanship over each other. So just smile and stay out of the way for an easy life.

Matayom and prathom schools also have an abundance of females, usually middle aged, who are bored with teaching the same thing every year and are prone to gossip. Don't make opinionated statements, esp. negative comments, about coworkers. Lie and say they are all "nice." When the lady walks in with a stunning dress (which they often do) don't just say it's a nice dress, say she looks very good in it. "Sweet mouth" is a better reputation than "black heart."

Steven, excellent, as always. Lots of what you wrote might be considered common sense, even in the West, but it's not obvious until you've been here a while. Likewise, I've worked with almost 40 Thai English teachers now, and we don't discuss lesson plans, methodology, educational philosophy. Not even much about how to evaluate (except at the end of the term, and then it changes with every interpretation). It really doesn't seem to matter much. E.g., once I asked how I should substitute for an absent English teacher. The man next to me said, "just ask the class leader where they are in their text and workbook, and go from there."

Thanks for this rundown, Steven.

The absence of any meaningful discussion of technique or philosophy is another reason why there are a surfeit of bad farang teachers here. There's no way to weed them out, it seems.

Pretty shocking, really.

Does this apply mostly to govt schools, I take it? With private language or EP schools, I had assumed there would be tighter controls on teachers: class observation, discussion of lesson plans, etc.

Paully, thanks! I'm a big fan of yours, too. It *is* too bad that ajarn's gone the way it has, and I hope that they'll come to their senses eventually. This place is nice, too, and they keep off the worst of the trolls.

PB, thanks to you too- and I agree, that all my points are good practice no matter where you work. The emphasis on it (above performance of the job), however, is the alien thing to me here- though maybe I've just been lucky in where I've worked before.

Merlin, I'd like to say things are better in EP programs, but sadly, they're not. I've seen conditions at almost every level of school in the kingdom, except for the BIG International schools (with a capital I) and it's same-same everywhere. There's NOwhere that works by Western standards among the Thai schools. Some things are good and some things are bad, but that's how it seems to be...

:o

"Steven"

Merlin, I'd like to say things are better in EP programs, but sadly, they're not. I've seen conditions at almost every level of school in the kingdom, except for the BIG International schools (with a capital I) and it's same-same everywhere. There's NOwhere that works by Western standards among the Thai schools. Some things are good and some things are bad, but that's how it seems to be...

:D

"Steven"

Well, maybe that's just as well for those of us insecure newbie teachers who would prefer not have some head honcho breathing down our necks all the time. Less stress all around. Mai ben rai and all that...

In this sense Thailand is probably one of the best places for an inexperienced teacher to cut his teeth. Obviously the downside comes later, when large numbers of these teachers literally have no idea how to teach and there is no means to evaluate or improve their skills.

Actually reminds me of the situation in most universities in the West when I was there and more or less persists even now: teaching ability is secondary. That goes for TAs and professors both. Teaching Assistants have the most contact with the students and do in fact teach solo in most cases and yet they have no training and almost no system of oversight. One is simply thrown into the class and let the chips fall where they may. That's because TA positions are considered to be primarily a means of graduate funding rather than full blown teaching jobs. A question of priorities. Professors are in the same situation as they are rarely hired for their teaching ability. As long as they publish in good journals, they can be absolute disasters in the lecture hall. So maybe the Thais aren't as out of step as we think. :o

Granted, this is a cynical estimation and certainly does not STOP a teacher from doing his best to be professional- but this is the way of it, to the best of my observation, in the vast majority of schools which employ TEFL teachers.

A BIT OFF TOPIC -

IJWT , about your 'observation' , how long have you taught, how long in the LoS,what subject(s), and are you currently active in teaching?

Phormio, well, now, that would be telling, wouldn't it?

:D:o

Seriously, though, I've taught TEFL in Asia for nearly 10 years now; a few of those in Thailand. I've also taught other subjects in various Thai EP programs (mainly in maths and sciences) here for a few years (overlapping with the TEFL here), including the subject in which I have a degree (which is not actually English). I was a TA in college for my subject (tip of the hat to Merlin, above- your analysis of the teaching ability of professors is spot on!) and a computer programmer/trainer for quite some time before, but was never a formal salaried teacher/professor of my subject in my home country (the U.S.A). Sorry for not being more specific about identifying information but my anonymity allows my posting here (on any other topic) to be as honest and truthful as possible. I am currently employed as a teacher in my subject at a public school EP program, and I have many friends working for various other programs (so I have a wide basis for comparison of jobs).

"Steven"

Phormio, well, now, that would be telling, wouldn't it?

:D  :o

...Sorry for not being more specific about identifying information but my anonymity allows my posting here (on any other topic) to be as honest and truthful as possible...

"Steven"

Wouldn't have it any other way.

:D

• 3 months later...

You bumped that up just in time. Just yesterday, I was getting serious and professional about teaching English and Math in Thailand, and I got very frustrated (tempted to walk out and not come back). But then I told the boss at 4:30 today, calmly and with a Thai smile, "We're not serious. We don't really teach. Students don't learn. Their grades don't matter. They copy and cheat anyway. The school doesn't plan ahead. We are seldom informed properly. Class sizes are impossibly large. Nobody cares about teaching. If you want a White clown again next year, I'm available half time. I learned how to play this game. You know I will do my best but it's just make believe. Thanks, boss."

I'd like to say I'm the best farang they ever had, but they claim I'm the first. I spoiled 'em already - the director thinks he can get some agency in Bangkok to send a dozen just as good as me, to come way out to the province, with a phone call.

Bring in the crowns.

[

We've been discussing on a number of threads how to GET a TEFL job in Thailand, and on those threads the issue of qualifications comes up a lot. I'd like to examine what's required to KEEP a TEFL job in Thailand, and see how those qualifications really seem to help (or not).

VITAL POINTS:

NOT SO IMPORTANT:

2. Improvement in students' English

I was reflecting that maybe your competence as a teacher in Thailand had improved until I read this point.

Have I misunderstood these points of advice?

1. Do I know you? Is there any way in which you would have any foundation for judging my competence as a teacher, or whether it had "improved?" Or are you just a troll, as seems likely?

2. In case you hadn't noticed, the sarcastic title of this thread is "How To Keep A TEFL Job," not "How To Be A Good Teacher." You see, sometimes in *sarcasm*, you understate things or overstate them in what seems to be the wrong direction, for the sake of this leetle thing called "humor," which makes the belly shake and funny noises come out of the mouth. Some people understand and enjoy this, as long as their IQ is generally above 60. So, since you didn't get it, I'll type reaaaaal slow: the...things...which...help...one...keep...a...TEFL...job...in... Thailand... are... not... necessarily... the... things... which... make... one... a... good... teacher. Got it?

"Steven"

Steven's got the point right, but I'll tackle the related question, whether or not this newbie is a troll.

Does teaching in Thailand improve one's competence as an ESL teacher or as an English-speaking teacher of other academic subjects?

Sometimes it does, sometimes not. If one is quite inexperienced when they get to Thailand, almost any experience should improve the competence and expertise of a conscientious teacher. But too many years doing little more than teaching beginner classes of 60 (or in a language school, countless temporary short classes of 8) might tempt the teacher to develop bad habits.

The same could be said of almost any occupation in any country.

To the point that was singled out by Lost gold: less than 20 hours of high-quality teaching under poor conditions will not turn a Thai from a total neophyte into a polished speaker. Language acquisition and fluency require hundreds of hours of good instruction, and few govt. or language schools provide that. Besides, the Thais have little or no valid system for accurately measuring language proficiency - their tests are crap. And the busy teacher may not be a totally accurate judge of improvement, either.

^Good points...

plus, what I was trying to say in that post, is that being a good teacher is not something which is actually too important to the administrations here in deciding whether or not to keep you. That's why it's put on the lowest priority for my list. *Of course*, it's important for being a good teacher- it's the main goal of any good teacher. But that won't help you keep a job here- a sad fact of life.

"Steven"

1.  Do I know you?  Is there any way in which you would have any foundation for judging my competence as a teacher, or whether it had "improved?"  Or are you just a troll, as seems likely?

2.  In case you hadn't noticed, the sarcastic title of this thread is "How To Keep A TEFL Job," not "How To Be A Good Teacher."  You see, sometimes in *sarcasm*, you understate things or overstate them in what seems to be the wrong direction, for the sake of this leetle thing called "humor," which makes the belly shake and funny noises come out of the mouth.  Some people understand and enjoy this, as long as their IQ is generally above 60.  So, since you didn't get it, I'll type reaaaaal slow:  the...things...which...help...one...keep...a...TEFL...job...in... Thailand... are... not... necessarily... the... things... which... make... one... a... good... teacher.  Got it?

"Steven"

I am aware through years of experience in the teaching industry that the majority of teachers and non-teachers, who take a TEFL course, have inspirations of becoming half decent English teachers after completing their course.

These course graduates shouldn't have to be subject to ridicule and goofy sarcasm by more "experienced teachers" in order to platonize or pander to these more "experienced teachers'" teaching shortcomes, lack of competence, and insecurities.

The Thai school industry INCLUDING government and language schools actually does put a high priority on students improving their English skills.

We should be aware of bitter trolls such as IJWT who try to manipulate and lower their fellow teachers self esteem, teaching attitude and abilities through bad advice, cheap propaganda, and rhetoric which borders on defamation.

I am aware through years of experience in the teaching industry that the majority of teachers and non-teachers, who take a TEFL course, have inspirations of becoming half decent English teachers after completing their course.

These course graduates shouldn't have to be subject to ridicule and goofy sarcasm by more "experienced teachers" in order to platonize or pander to these more "experienced teachers'" teaching shortcomes, lack of competence, and insecurities.

The Thai school industry INCLUDING government and language schools actually does put a high priority on students improving their English skills.

We should be aware of bitter trolls such as IJWT who try to manipulate and lower their fellow teachers self esteem, teaching attitude and abilities through bad advice, cheap propaganda, and rhetoric which borders on defamation.

In the second line, you set off a clause with commas which should not be- because it is necessary rather than incidental to the noun it modifies. Teachers have aspirations of becoming half-decent [with a dash], not inspirations. I don't know what "platonize" means, but perhaps you were searching for patronize. The single quotation mark in the 6th line after teachers should come *after* the double quotation mark, not before. "Shortcomings" is the word you're looking for. Self-esteem needs a dash. Are you sure you've been in the teaching industry for years?...But let's not quibble over mechanics, spelling, and grammar; let's talk about the content of your so-called message.

What the heck are you on about? This is a thread about what the priorities seem to be in Thai schools for those who want to work there and keep their jobs. Your message seems to be saying that I am ridiculing and being sarcastic towards teachers. I don't know where you are getting that idea, because this entire thread is about the shortcomings of Thai school administrations and their poor and inefficient behavior towards teachers. I'm not talking about the relative competency of teachers themselves at all. You seem to have missed the entire point of this thread, to put it mildly. Are you sure you understand English?

You claim in your second non-paragraph that the Thai educational system *does* put a high priority on students improving their English skills. Fair enough- I don't disagree. I claim that it does a very inefficient job of choosing and keeping teachers in a way which will serve this priority well. That... (typing slowly again here)... is... the... point... of... this... thread.

In your final paragraph, you seem to be in yet another parallel universe where you have somehow seen me belittling teachers on this thread, which I have in no way done- the only person I have perhaps belittled is you, and your bizarre messages certainly seem to deserve it; you also continue to berate my writing while offering no evidence that you have either understood my writing or justification for your negative comments about it. To top things off, you have accused me of being "defamatory," a desperate maneuver which would be funny, if it were not so pathetic [defaming what specific individual, in which post?]

Your closing seems to indicate you have followed what I have written before and are probably a troll; your opening makes you look like an absolute nutter. Which is it?

:o:D:D

"Steven"

In the second line, you set off a clause with commas which should not be- because it is necessary rather than incidental to the noun it modifies. Teachers have aspirations of becoming half-decent [with a dash], not inspirations. I don't know what "platonize" means, but perhaps you were searching for patronize. The single quotation mark in the 6th line after teachers should come *after* the double quotation mark, not before. "Shortcomings" is the word you're looking for. Self-esteem needs a dash. Are you sure you've been in the teaching industry for years?...But let's not quibble over mechanics, spelling, and grammar; let's talk about the content of your so-called message.

What the heck are you on about? This is a thread about what the priorities seem to be in Thai schools for those who want to work there and keep their jobs. Your message seems to be saying that I am ridiculing and being sarcastic towards teachers. I don't know where you are getting that idea, because this entire thread is about the shortcomings of Thai school administrations and their poor and inefficient behavior towards teachers. I'm not talking about the relative competency of teachers themselves at all. You seem to have missed the entire point of this thread, to put it mildly. Are you sure you understand English?

You claim in your second non-paragraph that the Thai educational system *does* put a high priority on students improving their English skills. Fair enough- I don't disagree. I claim that it does a very inefficient job of choosing and keeping teachers in a way which will serve this priority well. That... (typing slowly again here)... is... the... point... of... this... thread.

In your final paragraph, you seem to be in yet another parallel universe where you have somehow seen me belittling teachers on this thread, which I have in no way done- the only person I have perhaps belittled is you, and your bizarre messages certainly seem to deserve it; you also continue to berate my writing while offering no evidence that you have either understood my writing or justification for your negative comments about it. To top things off, you have accused me of being "defamatory," a desperate maneuver which would be funny, if it were not so pathetic [defaming what specific individual, in which post?]

Your closing seems to indicate you have followed what I have written before and are probably a troll; your opening makes you look like an absolute nutter. Which is it?

:o:D:D

"Steven"

Firstly, I'll not tell you to “GO AWAY” IJWT as this "Teaching Forum" has very little posters as it is.

I'll be overjoyed if what I have written can improve a TEFL teacher just a little, and ward off any negativity that IJWT tries to persuade them with.

I’ll also be overjoyed if I can ward off any disrepute and shame IJWT tries to bring over the teaching industry in Thailand.

<Come on now! Debate is fair enough, but please don't get nasty! KK>

IJWT I’d appreciate you getting your act together in the way of improving your attitude, teaching skills, and being more concerned with the welfare of the students in your charge.

Edited by kenkannif

Spot on IJWT!! :o

I think you've got the Thai education system well and truly sussed. I do find it difficult at times to 'bite my tongue'. So far, this has not created any major problems because I have learned to say "yes" to everything even though it may turn out to be a "NO" in the end. :D

Enough said, I will now read everyone else's response to your factual thread!

Jingjingna

Lost Gold, are you a Filipino or a Thai? Because it doesn't seem from either your writing or your understanding of what I have written than you are a native speaker of English.

I'm not going to continue to respond to you after this, because there's no point in answering posts in which you clearly haven't understood what I wrote before. This thread is NOT about advice to teachers, in any straightforward way- it is s-a-r-c-a-s-t-i-c. You do NOT know anything about my teaching skills from this thread (though if you really knew about teaching in Thailand, you might see, as others do, that I'm on target in my observations about Thai schools). You do NOT know how concerned I am over the welfare of my students (though it could be inferred through my desire to improve conditions in general at Thai schools that I have the students' interests at heart- good administrations and good teachers make good schools). If at some point in the future you show greater comprehension of what I have written, I'll be happy to continue discussions with you. Until then- I hear that ECC has some good discount prices on English classes.

"Steven"

Edited by Ijustwannateach

Lost Gold,  If at some point in the future you show greater comprehension of what I have written, I'll be happy to continue discussions with you.  Until then- I hear that ECC has some good discount prices on English classes.

hahahaha... good sarcasm there. I wouldn't recommend ECC for anything related to improving English skills. :o

• 2 weeks later...

IJWT...Good points you made about functioning well in a Thai school. What is needed to keep a job and be on the good side of both administrators and coworkers alike is not always the same as where we're from. Certain conditions are the same all over Thailand and certain conditions are not. It's often a matter of where to draw the line between them being unreasonable and you being unreasonable about what's expected of you. I believe in a good school with good administrators who do care about their employees as well as the students those employees teach solves half the dilemma...the second half is just your attitude and how you deal with it.

• 2 months later...