Thai Policeman Surrenders, Admits Killing Britons

george

Continued from here.

Thai wanted for Brits' murders surrenders

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A Thai policeman accused of murdering a British couple has surrendered to police after almost a month on the run.

Detective Sergeant Somchai Visetsingha gave himself up near the Thai-Myanmar border on Thursday, but denied allegations he had killed tourists Adam LLoyd, 25, and Vanessa Arscott, 24, police said.

Somchai is accused of shooting Lloyd after a heated argument in a restaurant that the policeman owned in Kanchanaburi, near the Bridge over the River Kwai, a popular tourist spot 125 km (80 miles) west of Bangkok, on September 9.

He is accused of killing Arscott with his car as she tried to flee in the early hours of the morning.

Police said Somchai was flown from his border hideout in a military helicopter to Kanchanaburi where he would be charged.

--Reuters 2004-10-07

British top envoy thanks Thai govt for capturing suspected killer of British tourists

KANCHANABURI: -- The British Ambassador to Thailand, H.E. Mr. David William Fall, has expressed his appreciation to the Thai government and local forces for their sincere cooperation and attempts to hunt for a Thai police officer who was suspected to have slain two young British tourists in Thailand's western resort province of Kanchanaburi last month.

The British top envoy thanked the Thai government and all authorities and officers concerned for the assistance at a press conference, held this morning at the provincial hall of the province, where the suspected killer was also present.

The accused, Sgt. Somchai Visetsingha, 39, turned himself in to local police near the 'Three Pagoda Pass' along the Thai-Myanmar border this early morning.

He was accompanied by his lawyer when he surrendered himself to the local police and military forces, led by Pol. Maj. Gen. Chalong Sonjai, the Deputy Commissioner of Provincial Police Region 7.

Police said that the police sergeant had fled to Myanmar and stayed with ehnic Karens near the border.

The young British couple, Vanessa Arscott, 24, and Adam Lloyd, 25, were shot dead on 9 September.

They were seen arguing with the suspected killer at a riverside restaurant near the renowned River Kwai Bridge, partly owned by the accused, according to local police, quoting witnesses as saying.

Sgt. Somchai reportedly argued and fought with Lloyd, and then approached the couple in a car parked near the restaurant.

He allegedly shot Lloyed dead first, and ran Arscott, who was fleeing for her life, down and shot her dead.

The motive of the murders was still unclear, said the police.

Police investigators later found bloodstrains and bullets in the suspected sergeant's car.

The accused had disappeared since the incident took place.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had instructed local authorities to 'turn the land upside down' to aggressively search for and track the accused down.

The suspected sergeant is being questioned by the local police.

---TNA 2004-10-07

Thai policeman gave up and confessed this morning

BANGKOK : A Thai policeman suspected of shooting dead two British tourists gave himself up and confessed after nearly a month on the run, police said.

Sergeant Somchai Visetsing, 39, fled into Myanmar after the shootings and surrendered to Thai officials at the border accompanied by his lawyer, they said.

Vanessa Arscott, 24, and her boyfriend Adam Lloyd, 25, were shot and killed on September 9 at Kanchanaburi in western Thailand - close to the famous Bridge on the River Kwai - after a row with the off-duty officer at a restaurant he part-owned.

"The suspect has already confessed and in the afternoon we will conduct a re-enactment of the crime," regional police commander Lieutenant Colonel Chaiyant Maklamthong told Thai television network iTV.

"He told us he had been attacked first by the victim and he couldn't fight back so he used his gun to shoot them," he said.

Police told AFP the suspect surrendered at the Three Pagoda Pass on the Thai-Myanmar border at 6:00 am (2300 GMT Wednesday) and was being held in Kanchanaburi.

Somchai became the key suspect for the killings after he was seen arguing with the Britons in the early hours of the morning in the quiet tourist town.

Somchai fought with Lloyd and allegedly shot him several times after leaving the restaurant where the couple had been drinking, according to police.

After Lloyd was shot, police allege Somchai followed Arscott in his car, ran her down and shot her twice. Police said the motive for the attack was unclear.

Police searched his car and found bloodstains and a bullet similar to those used in the killings.

His wife drove him to a hospital near the scene of the killings hours after the shooting because of injuries to his face but he was not seen for weeks afterwards.

Somchai, looking tired, handcuffed and wearing a green T-shirt, was paraded in front of the media at Kanchanaburi police headquarters, where he rejected press queries that he shot the couple because of a love triangle.

"I don't know anything about a love affair, and I don't know either of the victims," he told iTV before a press conference attended by British diplomats. No confession by the policeman was aired.

Police said that after the shootings, Somchai travelled 200 kilometres by bus from his home to the Myanmar border where he walked across and stayed with friends. "He was in shock," Chaiyant said.

Last month Somchai had contacted his relatives to tell them he wanted to give himself up and they were preparing to offer bail, police said.

The arrest coincided with a scheduled visit to the area by British officials on Thursday to check on the progress of the case, with a four-person team from the British embassy travelling from Bangkok.

"The first thing we heard about it was this morning," said an embassy spokesman.

"We are very pleased at the assistance we have got from the Thai authorities throughout the case and expressions of support we have got from the prime minister down," he said.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had reportedly called on the authorities to "turn the land upside down" in the search for the officer amid fears that the killings would hit the kingdom's tourist industry.

-- AFP 2004-10-07

.....Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had reportedly called on the authorities to "turn the land upside down" in the search for the officer amid fears that the killings would hit the kingdom's tourist industry.

It will continue to affect tourism until the trial is concluded and justice is seen to be done.

Self Defense? What a crock of sh*te! If that was the case how does the bastard explain running over and shooting the lady?? :o

Precisely. A plea of "self defence" may be acceptable for killing the man (but why use such deadly force), but I cannot see any defense for killing the girl except, maybe, insanity.

Thai cop confesses to killing Britons

Thu 7 October, 2004 09:53

By Noppawan Bunluesilp

KANCHANABURI, Thailand (Reuters) - A Thai policeman accused of murdering a British couple has surrendered after almost a month on the run, saying he killed Adam Lloyd because he spat in his face.

"He spat in my face, so I lost my temper and shot him," Detective Sergeant Somchai Visetsingha, who gave himself up near the Thai-Myanmar border, told reporters on Thursday.

"I think I fired all five bullets in my pistol's chamber," he said after interrogation at Kanchanaburi police station.

Somchai, accused of killing Vanessa Arscott, 24, with his car as she tried to flee early in the morning, told reporters he did know if he killed her.

"I meant to kill the man, but it accidentally hit her," he said.

"I feel devastated that my good intention has turned out like this," Somchai said, saying he offered Lloyd a ride to his hotel after Arscott got into an argument with her fellow Briton and walked away.

He is accused of shooting Lloyd after a heated argument in a restaurant Somchai owned in Kanchanaburi, near the Bridge over the River Kwai, a popular tourist spot 125 km (80 miles) west of Bangkok, on September 9.

Somchai was charged with murder and could face the death penalty.

Lieutenant General Chaiyan Maklamthong, chief of western region police bureau, told Thai ITV television after the interrogation Somchai said he was assaulted first.

"Then he was outmatched, so he shot them," Chaiyan said.

Police said Somchai had been flown from his border hideout in a military helicopter to Kanchanaburi police headquarters where he would be interrogated.

ITV said Somchai was staying with Karen rebels along the border before he offered to surrender to police on Monday.

Looking tired in a green military T-shirt and in handcuffs, Somchai was brought into a police station where British diplomat Andy Pearce expressed his satisfaction and commended Thai police for arresting one of their own.

Somchai was later taken by police for re-enactments of his crime to the scene on Thursday

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticl...67&section=news

He spat in my face, so I lost my temper and shot him

Channel 3 news on Thai TV (in English) tonight had a story on Visetsingha's arrest. Only caught the end of it just after 5pm, but I think it was the lead story. Good that they attach some importance to his arrest.

The other story I heard (via the not-too-good translators) was a Thai cabinet re-shuffle. Thaksin will now take personal charge of "security" :o

It is in the (financial) interest of the Thai Government to see that this case is tried publicly and that justice is seen to be done. Confessions aside, the man is inoccent until proven guilty but the evidence against him seems to be overwhelming.

As to 'spitting in the face of a policeman', it is likely that the Brit man did not know that he was facing a policeman. It was early hours of the morning in the accused restaurant. I would think that he was wearing typical of duty policemans leisure wear, probably a T shirt with 'POLICE' emblazoned upon it!

Early days yet. Let's see how it goes.

:o

It appears that several of the posters are taking the murderer's word for being spat upon - as if it should make a difference. Would they all automatically accpet the word of said murderer who has just shot one man and then driven over his girlfriend prior to shooting her dead as well ... and then split to Burma for a month?

If anyone finds this logic flawed, please state it as so. If others find it rational, please agree.

The murderer-cop drove after the two in order to harm them - not help them.

Please vote Yeah or Nay

I am not familar with Thai people or Thai policemen actually driving out to get people whom have eaten at his restaurant and then argued with, in order to assist them. Westerners do not make a habit of it either. It seems a little out of character to me.

He went drove after them to harm them and may have gotten into an argument on the road or a fight with the man. Eitehr way, the cop went looking to make trouble.

First we heard that the Brit hit the cop, and now we have heard that he spat at him. What will we hear next? Oh, and I almost forgot about the affair. I am sure that many more stories all equally divergent from the truth will appear over the next few weeks.

Yes, some of the tourists from Britain, Germany, the USA, France, Italy, the Middle East, etc., come here with the idea that they are above the law. But, generally with young couples, that is not the case. If this was a skinhead with 4 of his pals, tattooed from head to foot, in a bar in Pattaya, then some of the negative statements made on this board might hold true, but since these two were actually seeing the countryside, not the bars and the girls, and there is as of yet no proof of their being drunk and disorderly or behaving in any way that would justify arrest or any other punishment from the Thai courts, they are victims, not criminals.

Update:

Thai Policeman Surrenders and Admits Killing Britons

KANCHANABURI: -- A Thai policeman, who fled after two British tourists were shot, surrendered today and confessed to the killings.

Detective Sergeant Somchai Visetsingha, who has been charged with murder and faces the death sentence, said he killed Adam Lloyd, 25, from Torquay, Devon, because “He spat in my face.

“So I lost my temper and shot him. I think I fired all five bullets in my pistol’s chamber,.

And he apologised to Vanessa Arscott’s parents for killing the 24 –year-old from Ashburton, also Devon. He said her death was an accident: “I meant to kill the man, but I accidentally hit her.

“I feel devastated that my good intention has turned out like this,” Somchai said.

He said he had offered Mr Lloyd a lift to his hotel after Vanessa got into an argument with her boyfriend and walked away.

After dragging her body for about 660 feet, he stopped his car and shot her in his panic to escape, he said.

The couple were killed on September 9 after an argument with the policeman at a restaurant near the Bridge over the River Kwai.

A £1,350 reward had been offered for the capture of Somchai who had fled over the nearby Burmese border.

Somchai turned himself in today to a regional police commander in Kanchanaburi province, near the border, said police Colonel Vej Somboon.

Somchai had fled across the border into Burma, where he was sheltered by members of the Karen ethnic minority until the government, in cooperation with Thai authorities, put pressure on the Karen to hand over the suspect.

Karen guerrilla groups, both pro and anti-government, control large parts of the border.

Looking tired in a green military T-shirt and in handcuffs, Somchai was taken to a police station where British diplomat Andy Pearce said: “I would like to extend my appreciation to our Thai counterparts from all levels, including the prime minister, for co-operating in the case.,”

Police immediately took handcuffed Somchai back to the restaurant to re-enact the killings – normal practice in Thailand.

Kanchanaburi province is about 70 miles west of the capital, Bangkok.

The area attracts many foreign tourists because it is the site of the infamous bridge over the River Kwai, where Japanese troops built a railway using prisoners of war during the Second World War.

--Scotsman.com

So I lost my temper and shot him. I think I fired all five bullets in my pistol’s chamber,.
And he apologised to Vanessa Arscott’s parents for killing the 24 –year-old from Ashburton, also Devon. He said her death was an accident: “I meant to kill the man, but I accidentally hit her.
After dragging her body for about 660 feet, he stopped his car and shot her in his panic to escape, he said.

you couldn't make this up if you tried.

he deserves nothing less than life imprisonment for this , so he will have plenty of time to ponder the error of his ways , but something tells me he will get off lightly.

Thai policeman admits killing backpackers

By Sebastien Berger in Kanchanaburi

(Filed: 08/10/2004)

A police sergeant who admitted killing two British backpackers in Thailand surrendered yesterday after a month on the run.

Somchai Visetsingha confessed to killing Adam Lloyd, 25, deliberately, but claimed that he shot Vanessa Arscott, 24, three times by accident.

He handed himself in to his former colleagues at Three Pagodas Pass, on the Thai-Burmese border, and was taken to Kanchanaburi, where the killings happened, for interrogation.

"I admit to shooting Adam because I had been hurt by him very badly; I didn't intend to shoot Vanessa," he said, sitting in handcuffs in the police station where he once worked.

He claimed that Mr Lloyd, from Torquay, and Miss Arscott, from Ashburton, Devon, had had a row in the restaurant that he owns in Kanchanaburi, a popular backpackers' destination at the site of the Bridge on the River Kwai, and that he had intervened.

"I shot Adam because he spat in my face. It's a very bad insult. That's why I could not stand for it. If you were in my place you would do the same thing."

However, his account of the incident is dramatically different to those of other witnesses.

The killings were deeply embarrassing to the Thai authorities. Somchai was able to seek treatment in hospital and obtain money from his wife before disappearing into the thick jungles of the hilly border region, where he is believed to have been given refuge by guerrilla groups.

His surrender yesterday coincided with a visit to the town by British Embassy officials for a progress report on the investigation.

Somchai, 39, said: "I apologise to the parents of Vanessa, I didn't intend to hurt her." He offered no apology to Mr Lloyd's family.

He claimed that Miss Arscott had left his S&S restaurant after the row. When Mr Lloyd followed her, Somchai offered him a lift. After they caught up with Miss Arscott the argument continued, he said.

Somchai and Mr Lloyd then came to blows, which left the restaurant owner beaten and lying on the ground, he claimed. "Even though I told Adam I am police he didn't stop."

Somchai got back into his car, followed the couple, and fired five rounds at Mr Lloyd as the pair stood next to each other at the roadside, he claimed. Only two of the rounds hit their target.

However, other witnesses say Somchai had a row with Mr Lloyd in the restaurant and left to fetch his handgun. He killed Mr Lloyd in the street and ran down Miss Arscott as she fled, before coldly shooting her three times.

Somchai is known as a womaniser and according to some accounts had tried to force Miss Arscott into his car before Mr Lloyd intervened.

After his public confession Somchai was taken to the scene to re-enact his version of events. He appealed to the crowd of onlookers to back up his account.

Moments later he pointed a toy pistol out of his car window at a Thai policeman and policewoman playing the roles of his victims.

Police Maj-Gen Chokdee Arnupappecha, the deputy commander of the regional police, said Somchai faced a possible death penalty.

"I convinced him [to surrender] by telling him what would be good for him. I told him that if he confessed that would help him in court."

He said no deal had been made with the wanted man. However, it is believed that the guerrilla groups who may have been sheltering him were put under pressure by the Burmese and Thai governments to hand him over.

A British Embassy spokesman welcomed Somchai's arrest and praised the Thai police's efforts, playing down earlier events. "We always realised that it was going to be a difficult case because he is a trained policeman and he knows how to evade a police investigation," he said.

Mr Lloyd's brother Matthew said yesterday in a statement: "On behalf of the family I would like to thank the Thai authorities for all the efforts they have made.

"As you can imagine it has been a very difficult time for us in coming to terms with our loss, particularly while the suspect was still on the run.

"It was a great relief this morning to hear that he had finally been captured. I now hope there can be a swift trial and a quick result."

Miss Arscott's family said: "We know that the Thai authorities, particularly their police, have been working very hard over the past month.

"All we want now is justice for our darling Vanessa and also dear Adam and we have respect and confidence in the Thai justice system."

Miss Arscott's family also expressed their "heartfelt thanks to everyone who has written the most touching letters and cards, including complete strangers".

- Daily Telegraph

However, other witnesses say Somchai had a row with Mr Lloyd in the restaurant and left to fetch his handgun. He killed Mr Lloyd in the street and ran down Miss Arscott as she fled, before coldly shooting her three times.

This sounds more likely

Somchai is known as a womaniser and according to some accounts had tried to force Miss Arscott into his car before Mr Lloyd intervened.

This also sounds more in character with policeman

It now appears that the boyfriend was saving his girlfriend form this idiot trying to "abduct" her.

After his public confession Somchai was taken to the scene to re-enact his version of events. He appealed to the crowd of onlookers to back up his account.

"Lie for me. Lie for me. They want to jail me for shooting the farang."

That swarmy looking cop probably told that Englishmen that he wanted to boink his woman. This cop probably extorted sex from a few backpackers in his career, probably both male and female. I am sure it was a well deserved ass wooping, but if this guy was from NYC he'd know that there is nothing more dangerous than a drunk cop, because they all have guns, and attitude. Kicking a cops (and a drunk one) ass in Thailand is like calling a US Black Gang Member the "N' word in front of his crew. It is suicide. The guy is armed, in pain and just lost a whole lot of face. Remember when you run from a gun to do so in a zig-zag fashion, or better to turn sideways and run laterally from the line of fire. Better to just avoid any friendly advances from any Thai male. "No poot passat Angrit"

I am in an internet shop in Isarn and the local kids were talking about the cop. They seem to think it is funny!

I asked if the guy is a good man or a bad man and the tennage boy next to me replied, "I don't know". Seem like another day in the line of duty for a drunken Thai copper.

Drinking over hours, driving drunk, MURDER.

I heard that the cop tried to abduct the girl, the guy tried to stop him and got shot.

he will probably get a light sentence, only a farang.

A farang killing a Thai, a very different story. One guy I know was nearly killed himself in police custody just after allegedly killing a Thai 3 years ago.

he was outmatched, so he shot them," Chaiyan said.

An armed cop against an unarmed pair of tourists????????

Lying bastard.

If he was a policeman he should have known how to deal with the situation... i mean spitting in someones face is assault he could of just arrested the couple he didnt have to kill them. I hope there are not too many more Police like this guy. I think they will make an example of him.. but you never know. I thought O.J. was guilty also.

:o Truly sad excuses and typical Cover you ARSE reasoning... Hey, that MP DH son can have his foot stepped on.. (as reported) so someone spitting in the face.. SHHHRREE RIGHT.. This will only infuse more anger, confusion, and headshaking as Ministry of Tourist try to spin this.

And really it is too bad.. because some to those tourist policemen actually, do a good job.

So we shall sit back and watch the festival unfold... the the Thai MPers....will feel justified...and edit the book for visitor to Thailand..

YET abroad.. Thais do not have the same... how shall we say.. acceptance..

PAYBACK is comming... :D

“I meant to kill the man, but I accidentally hit her.

“I feel devastated that my good intention has turned out like this,” Somchai said.

Oh thats ok then. He had good intentions and didnt mean to shoot anyone or run them over and drag them underneath his car.

Settles it for me. Not guilty.

The Daily Record has slightly different version. Seems like the so called foreign correspondents from the papers are just cutting and pasting from Reuters and AP etc and putting their own byline on it.

Daily Record

‘He spat at me . . . I was dishonoured’

A runaway police officer who had gone into hiding for more than one month surrendered yesterday and pled guilty to killing two British tourists, one in a fit of rage and the other by accident.

Senior Sgt-Major Somchai Wisetsing was accused of shooting Adam Lloyd, 25, and then running down his girlfriend, 24-year-old Vanessa Arscott, and shooting her dead on September 9.

“I was so shocked that I fled to find time to think,” the law enforcer-turned suspect said yesterday.

Somchai, a Kanchanaburi policeman, claimed that he just intended to stop Lloyd and his girlfriend from quarrelling.

According to the suspect, his victims were already arguing when they entered his restaurant and continued to do so for the entire time they were having drinks.

He insisted that he did not know the couple before, refuting speculation that a love triangle might have been the motive for the murders. Some earlier reports said that Somchai had been drinking with them prior to the crime.

“I didn’t know what they were quarrelling about because I had many other customers to take care of, but when I was about to go home, I noticed that they were still arguing outside my restaurant,” Somchai said.

He claimed he then decided to present himself as a police officer in the hopes of ending their dispute.

“But the man punched and kicked me,” he said, adding that he suffered a broken nose and cracked rib in Lloyd’s alleged assault.

Somchai said he ran around his car in an attempt to get away from Lloyd.

“The man came at me and spat in my face. That was the last straw. I was dishonoured,” he said.

Somchai said he drew his gun and fired at Lloyd until his bullets ran out.

“I reckon that some strays hit the woman too but I didn’t notice that her body was dragged along by my car when I sped away from the scene,” Somchai said.

Following the attacks, the runaway police officer fled into Burma. He later contacted lawyer Somsak Toraksa, one of his acquaintances, to arrange his surrender.

An investigator, who asked not to be named, said Somchai was able to live with Karen soldiers in Burma thanks to assistance from an influential person’s son.

“When he contacted me, I persuaded him to surrender for the sake of our country’s reputation,” Somsak said.

Somchai yesterday showed up at the border at Three Pagodas Pass in Sangkhla Buri district, and was picked up by police officers accompanied by Somsak at 6.45am.

The suspect was interrogated until 8am, after which he met with reporters. He later flew on a military helicopter to a main police station in Muang district.

Provincial Police Region 7 deputy commissioner Maj-General Chalong Sonjai said Somchai’s crimes had damaged the country’s reputation but his surrender would heal the wound somewhat.

“He will face further investigations,” he said.

British Embassy charge d'affaires Andy Pearce was reportedly present during Somchai’s interrogation.

“We thank all our Thai friends who were involved with this case who gave their full support and cooperation, including the Thai prime minister and the Foreign Ministry who paid full attention to it,” said Pearce.

On Monday, a senior police officer disclosed that the British ambassador would visit Kanchanaburi this week for an update on the manhunt for Somchai.

Kanchanaburi Governor Cherdwit Ritprasart yesterday said relevant officials were doing everything to ensure safety in the province. “Tourists can visit our province safely. Don’t be worried,” he said. The province is a popular tourist destination.

Meanwhile, Tourism Police Commander Maj-General Phanya Mamen expressed doubts about Somchai’s version of the story.

“We know Somchai was very drunk that night,” Phanya said, referring to a blood test administered to Somchai at a hospital he visited after his beating.

Sorawut Jongsakul

The Nation

Kanchanaburi

As to 'spitting in the face of a policeman', it is likely that the Brit man did not know that he was facing a policeman. It was early hours of the morning in the accused restaurant. I would think that he was wearing typical of duty policemans leisure wear, probably a T shirt with 'POLICE' emblazoned upon it!

If the guy was off duty then he wouldnt have been wearing a tshirt with POLICE on it. It would have been a plain white t shirt.

Even so, if a person was just wearing brown trousers and a plain white shirt with POLICE on it, a regular tourist would more likely to associate that with the POLICE fashion brand rather than a policeman.