Year-end Bonus For Housekeeper

Our housekeeper, who we like very much, has been with us almost a year. I think that I remember reading somewhere that a bonus of one-month salary is normally given at year end, but I haven’t been able to find it.

Does anyone have any information?

Thanks,

Elaine

Yes, it's normal- and likely counted on, too.

This year I gave my HK 1.5 times her salary since she has taken good care of me for 3 years...

One thing you want to avoid is any resentment from your HK. It's quite easy for most HK's to get 'even'. :o

Now I'm feeling guilty as I just gave mine an extra couple of thousand...

Tell her you made a mistake :o And get up with the rest ( lest she pee's in the soup )

Though I certainly follow that way of thinking, it should be pointed out that not all maids are equal... If she's been with you less than a year, that makes a difference. If she's just part-time, that makes a difference, too, and a couple of grand might be appropriate.

If you want to offer other compensation, one way is to offer to make her a legal registered employee so she's eligible for benefits under the social security system. Their health care system is far superior to the 30 baht scheme.

I was looking for our housekeeper the other day to give her a year end bonus.

I finally found her out the back of the house cleaning, we were all alone as my wife and her mum were out the front. I tried to give her the money but she looked up at me scared and ran out the front crying for my wife.

Turns out she thought I had cornered her and was giving her some money for a little "extra" cleaning if you know what I mean :o

We all got a good laugh out of it when it was sorted out, but a little embarassing too.

I learnt the lesson, do it in an appropriate location :D

I'm feeling like a right Scrooge now :o

I have two maids that visit the house two or three times a week. I probably pay them well over the odds compared to what I could get (4,500 per month for both, not each), but they do an excellent job, and they're good friends with my girlfriend, meaning an extra level of trust.

However, this New Year, I only added an extra 1,000 baht on top of that salary. Flame away...

(Edit - done a :-( instead of a :D )

Edited by Insight

I have two maids that visit the house two or three times a week. I probably pay them well over the odds compared to what I could get (4,500 per month for both, not each), but they do an excellent job, and they're good friends with my girlfriend, meaning an extra level of trust.

However, this New Year, I only added an extra 1,000 baht on top of that salary. Flame away...

If they work a full day on those visits the pay sounds very low as that would equate to a full time maid for 4,500 baht but not sure of your location so perhaps that has something to do with it. But if you pay them on a monthly basis I would try to give at least an extra month at New Year. In many cases, especially at low rates, I would also try to increase salary also. A good maid is a very valuable asset and having to train another is not something to be taken lightly (it is not easy to find a good one).

Reminds me of when I first came here and looking for my first HK... Being a relatively normal man- and single, I figured I'd get a beautiful young Thai girl to do my bidding and give me some eye candy, and maybe (fill in fantasy of your choice)- all for 100 baht a day... :D

(I'd bet a million bucks some of you are saying YEAH!! right now)

Well, if your intention is to lead a quiet and relaxed life here, this definately will not lead you down that path! :D

I never did find a trustworthy HK, but I did get about a million headaches between the scheming going on by all parties concerned, and they came and went through like a revolving door. I learned that the ones who were willing to go further weren't willing to do that for 100 baht a day, and if you pay more for the extras, your house gets dirtier...

Either marry them, or work them. And rarely do the twain meet :D

I've played it much smarter in the ensuing years....

My current housekeeper has been with me for 3 years. She's older, not pretty, old-fashioned, and never had even met a farang before me... I hired her on the spot! For the first month (she lives in) she was only willing to address me through another worker...If I said something to her, she ask the other worker, " Farang waa aray" :D

But, she has earned my trust and respect over the last three years. Takes care of everything and anything with never a complaint (though a bit of a side-glance sometimes :D ) . She also is a great cook :D

I also pay her a salary commensurate with her efforts, room and board, pay the school tuition for her two kids (who live with her father), and pay my share of employer taxes so she has Social Security insurance, too.

It was fun sometimes in the old days, but, a good housekeeper is hard to find, and even harder to keep unless you take reasonable care with them.. :o

Edited by Ajarn

If they work a full day on those visits the pay sounds very low as that would equate to a full time maid for 4,500 baht but not sure of your location so perhaps that has something to do with it. But if you pay them on a monthly basis I would try to give at least an extra month at New Year. In many cases, especially at low rates, I would also try to increase salary also. A good maid is a very valuable asset and having to train another is not something to be taken lightly (it is not easy to find a good one).

Hi lopburi3,

They're both in their late 30's to 40's, and only come for a few hours a few times per week. One holds a daytime job as a maid in my girlfriend's ex-office, which is how she knows them both.

As I live alone there's not much to take care of, so anything over a few hours a week is a waste of their time.

Ajarn, really enjoyed your post. I pondered similar ideas when I first moved here, but a few nightmare stories from friends quickly knocked that idea out of my head. The setup I have right now is perfect, very satisfied with it - which is why I hope they don't feel I'm being "jai dam" with them.

Hi lopburi3,

They're both in their late 30's to 40's, and only come for a few hours a few times per week. One holds a daytime job as a maid in my girlfriend's ex-office, which is how she knows them both.

Sounds as if you have been paying them a good salary but if they know GF, and you are living alone, you have more than the normal reasons to keep them happy. :o

Edited by lopburi3

Hi lopburi3,

Sounds as if you have been paying them a good salary but if they know GF, and you are living alone, you have more than the normal reasons to keep them happy. :o

A minor oversight at the time :D

Our housekeeper, who we like very much, has been with us almost a year.  I think that I remember reading somewhere that a bonus of one-month salary is normally given at year end, but I haven’t been able to find it.

Thanks,

Elaine

Yes....for sure. Don't forget the other people in the building: security, cleaning staff and others.

Our housekeeper, who we like very much, has been with us almost a year.  I think that I remember reading somewhere that a bonus of one-month salary is normally given at year end, but I haven’t been able to find it.

Thanks,

Elaine

Yes....for sure. Don't forget the other people in the building: security, cleaning staff and others.

Good points to remember! :D

You could also include anyone who has been particularly helpful during the year.. Bank personnel, doctor, helpful shopkeeper, local postman, immigration*, etc.... These small acknowledgements go a long way here to establishing and maintaining valuable relationships, in my experience. Doesn't need be expensive... Maybe a fruit basket... or a home-baked pie :o

*Assuming they haven't tried to illegaly squeeze you for money and then make problems when you refuse to pay...

• 11 months later...

We usually give our maids 50 satang (weight) in gold. Bracelet, earrings, stuff like that. If they manage to keep these things year after year, we let them upgrade and put a little more on top, kind of teaching them the value of saving. Otherwise they are just itchin' to send it all back up country (or out of country actually).

:o

We have a houseboy (21) instead of a maid. easier to command around and he can work in the garden (800m2) and other 'man' stuff.

We do not overpay him around 5.200 thb for 5, 5 working days and 9 hours per day including a 2 hour siesta around lunch

Often he eats with us.

He drinks but cannot drink on our territory.

He used to be a guard at the moo baan but one day we needed a new housekeeper and we hung out a sign at the gate and there he was, tired of very loong working days sitting around and such

It needed a while to teach him how to clean, but then again you need to teach the ladies as well how YOU want them to clean.

I am very happy, no eye candy, but no other issues as well.

He washes my car daily, takes good care of the garden and most off all my wife is happy because he cleans good.

Yep, bonus for him and an annual raise of 10%, he is happy to

None of my business but I am surprised that the question was even raised in the first place given the small amount involved. Afterall this person slaves month after month for very little.

The mind boggles......

Is this becosue people are Key Neow or are you all aclimatised to the thai financial ways? If that is the case please think for a minute what it would cost for the same services in your home country?

None of my business but I am surprised that the question was even raised in the first place given the small amount involved. Afterall this person slaves month after month for very little.

The mind boggles......

Is this becosue people are Key Neow or are you all aclimatised to the thai financial ways? If that is the case please think for a minute what it would cost for the same services in your home country?

Excellent post. Well thought out and not in the least 'troll like'. :o

The mind boggles......

Errrr... Different things cost different amounts in different countries. Do you offer to pay more for your meals when the bill comes whilst here in Thailand? pay twice as much for your drinks? why not?, its bound to be less than you would pay in your own country.

I'll be giving my maid double her usual salary this month (due, nicely, on the 24th). GF is also giving her a gift basket of cookies etc.

Each male security guy, staff, cleaning guy in the building will get a bottle of red label. The ladies will be getting Body Shop gift basket (again, sorted by GF).

They are good to me and very helpful. Something small in return is the right thing to do, IMHO.

I live in a serviced apartment (2 years now) so I do not pay the maid myself - it is included in the rent. She comes every day and takes her about an hour. Of course she does not just clean my apartment but others in my block. What would be the "correct" thing for me to do for New Year? How much cash should I give? Last year I gave a 1,000 in a christmas card. Would this suffice or should I think about the body shop gift basket???

I live in a serviced apartment (2 years now) so I do not pay the maid myself - it is included in the rent. She comes every day and takes her about an hour. Of course she does not just clean my apartment but others in my block. What would be the "correct" thing for me to do for New Year? How much cash should I give? Last year I gave a 1,000 in a christmas card. Would this suffice or should I think about the body shop gift basket???

That should be more than enough as she hopefully will be getting extra from her real employer also.