English Spoken Here

maerim

My wife runs a small shop with varying degrees of profitability thanks to the large super stores.

A lot of backpackers stop near there on the way to a trek so I had a couple of signs made (in English) saying what she sold and that she had a European style toilet that they could use providing they bought some thing from the shop, all well and good.

Well it was until this morning when a woman from the local government office turned up armed with a digital camera, a bad attitude and a face as though she had been eating vinegar with a fork.

She said if my wife wanted to keep the signs up she would have to pay 2,500 baht a year tax, or have them removed by first thing tomorrow, they are down now.

If they were in Thai there would be no problem, a lot of good that would be to people who don't read Thai

I asked her why this is so?

Because it is that’s why, was the reply.

I am not sure if this is a bit more xenophobia or just another way of screwing money from her but whatever it is I don’t like it

Edited by maerim

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife runs a small shop with varying degrees of profitability thanks to the large super stores.

A lot of backpackers stop near there on the way to a trek so I had a couple of signs made (in English) saying what she sold and that she had a European style toilet that they could use providing they bought some thing from the shop, all well and good.

Well it was until this morning when a woman from the local government office turned up armed with a digital camera, a bad attitude and a face as though she had been eating vinegar with a fork.

She said if my wife wanted to keep the signs up she would have to pay 2,500 baht a year tax, or have them removed by first thing tomorrow, they are down now.

If they were in Thai there would be no problem, a lot of good that would be to people who don't read Thai

I asked her why this is so?

Because it is that’s why, was the reply.

I am not sure if this is a bit more xenophobia or just another way of screwing money from her but whatever it is I don’t like it

Thats fukcing stupid. Just another way to get money outta people.

That's terrible, wonder if you'd have had the same problem if the sign was in Chinese.

Probably don't get too many Chinese backpackers thru there... :o

Obviously it wasn't a suggestion to change the sign to Chinese. Just wondering if this is targeted specifically at signs in western languages, or foreign languages in general.

Also interested in what further Thetyim has to say on this.

Did your wife get the officer's name? If she can remember it, first check to see if such a law does exist and if not, either go to the office with your wife or have her make a call and complain about that woman. If there is no law, she's just trying to make some money off you...tell her where to go!

It's not xenofobic. France for example has similar laws.

(No, don't even think of starting a rant on France :o

You need at least to show some Thai on the same sign. Not sure about the amounts, but I'm sure you can inquire at the appropriate local government agency. There's always a tax for signs, and non-Thai language signs are taxed higher.

I think the rationale is that only bigger / more international businesses would need English signs, as opposed to a little mom & pop resto. It applies to all businesses, no matter who owns them.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Well, guess you can get 50% knocked of if you put some Thai smallprint at the bottom. Seems like a highly xenophobic law to me, though.

Why xenophobic??? That's the law for everybody... Thai people included.

Price for Signage in Thai language script: ฿3/500cm2

Price for Signage in Foreign language script: ฿40/500cm2

This law either stops business's from displaying signs in languages foreigners can understand, or increases prices for foreigners who shop at business's which choose to pay the increased tax for foreign language signs.

It's not xenofobic. France for example has similar laws.

(No, don't even think of starting a rant on France :o

Lol, sorry, I can't resist. France probably wasn't the best example, some of their laws are highly xenophobic towards English speaking nationalities IMO. Their dislike of the English language is well known.

It applies to all businesses, no matter who owns them.

I don't dispute that, however, it increases the cost for business's which target foreigners, these increased costs are then passed on to their (mainly foreign) customers.

I just can't see why the tax on foreign language signs should be 1300% higher than that of Thai language signs.

Edited by konangrit

There are ways around everything.Consult a bean counter..they might have an idea.

personally, I would put up a big sign in the old Lanna language and send the bitch a picture with the caption "Tax This!" :o ,but that doesn't help your problem.

For 2500 baht, it sounds like a pretty big sign...

Personally, I don't think the rate is too high for these advertising signs for Farangs, I think the price is too low for Thais....

I'd like to see far fewer advertising signs of all kinds, especially billboards, no matter what the alleged 'public service' the retail store provides. Make them all pay for their own promotion :o

I only wish there was a sound tax, too :D

For 2500 baht, it sounds like a pretty big sign..
One was 1 meter square the other 3/4 meter square, both now going very cheap.
I only wish there was a sound tax, too

Could not agree more how about 100 baht per decibel above a reasonable level i.e. a level thats leaves the fillings in your teeth intact.

One was 1 meter square the other 3/4 meter square, both now going very cheap

Agreed, that doesn't sound as big as the price does. :D

I only wish there was a sound tax, too
Could not agree more how about 100 baht per decibel above a reasonable level i.e. a level thats leaves the fillings in your teeth intact.

And an extra 'tax' for 'mixing' sounds, I hope! :D I remember the continual blasting of all sorts of noise from competing sound systems at the Winter Fair in Chiang Mai... and at many wat fairs, too. It's too tough for me to be 'cai yen' in these places...

And a tax for any karaoke singer that can heard outside the confines of the room he's in :o:D

Edited by Ajarn

A tax for noise pollution? For those people (usually young ladies) who babble without pause at those mall exhibitions they should be more than taxed. Perhaps they should be put in the stocks for a day! :o It would be nice to shop at Big C and not have your ear drums ruptured.

Apparently it's true and has been for some time.

[i"]2.3 Sign tax

(a) In Thai-Language script only 3 Bht. / 500 cm.2

(:o Sign with combination of Thai & Foreign script 20 Bht. / 500 cm.2

© Sign with foreign-language script 40 Bth. / 500 cm2[/i]"

http://www.auick.org/database/seminar/1997/07/008/001.html

The same applies for Coca Cola bottles, biscuits etc etc.

I asked our Coca Cola supplier why he delivers lately bottles with thai writing only.

Answer: we have to pay extra tax for printing Cola in english on one side.

Thats the law

[i"]2.3 Sign tax

(:D Sign with combination of Thai & Foreign script 20 Bht. / 500 cm.2

I asked our Coca Cola supplier why he delivers lately bottles with thai writing only.

Thats the law

I hope he lowered your case price, but I'll bet he didn't, even though the original price had the extra cost of printing included... Profits before refunds, of course :o

[i"]2.3 Sign tax

(:D Sign with combination of Thai & Foreign script 20 Bht. / 500 cm.2

Thats the law

I hope he lowered your case price, but I'll bet he didn't, even though the original price had the extra cost of printing included... Profits before refunds, of course :o

He did not lower the price. He used the standard excuse with a big smile :D , production costs are gone up lately, we have to cover this increase.

Interesting, here they only apply the sign tax to signs on the road, or the main sign for the business, ie with the name of the business on it. Certainly it is not applied to small signs within the business, ie in the restaurant, closing times, specials etc.

Interesting, here they only apply the sign tax to signs on the road, or the main sign for the business, ie with the name of the business on it. Certainly it is not applied to small signs within the business, ie in the restaurant, closing times, specials etc.

I wonder if there is more than meets the eye - perhaps some of the travelers objected to having to buy to be able to use the toilet? Although most of us would try to buy something I would also consider it rather 'over the top' to be faced with such a sign. If not probably just a jealous civil servant.