On Non-o, Must I Go To Non-"b"

I'm here on a Non-O visa that is good(I extended it through to Dec 2005 by wiring in 400,000 TB) till Dec 2005. I've just received a job offer from a school, in what a call the 2nd tier of internationals, for 60,000 baht/month(50K sal + 10K housing allowance). The school is unfamiliar with dealing with people such as I - already here on a Non-Imm O for Thai Wife Support - they suggest that I leave the country to get a non-imm "B" visa and then they will process WP paperwork for me(MOE will give me a teachers license for teaching Science)

My questions are (see Background below):

Do I have to get a non-imm B, or can I stay on a my Non-Immigrant "O" visa?

Should I stay on my non-"O" or go to the non-"B" (which one is better) ? Keep in mind that I plan in staying in Thailand permanently and will likely apply for a PR in 3 yrs (or as soon as possible).

If I stay on my non-imm "O" get my workpermit and go to work, when my Non-Imm "O" expires in December, can I extend it based on my job/salary rather than wiring in another 400,000 thai baht?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

BACKGROUND:

------------------

I emigrated to Bangkok with my Thai(US dual citizen) wife in early December of 2004. I have been very fortunate - my wife's connections got me a part time contract English Teaching job at a very prestigious University on the Weekends.

I have 3 yrs of graduate school in engineering(42 credit hours completed) with a BS degree in electrical engineering.

I'm a US citizen here on a Thai Wife Support Visa which I extended until Dec 2005 by wiring in 400,000 TB.

I sent my resume out to 35 international schools.

I just received a job offer for 60,000 TB / month to be a science teacher - on a one year contract starting in August; they submitted my transcripts and resume to the MOE (ministry of education); the MOE said that they would give me a license for teaching Science (not mathematics though).

Do I have to get a non-imm B, or can I stay on a my Non-Immigrant "O" visa?

Should I stay on my non-"O" or go to the non-"B" (which one is better) ? Keep in mind that I plan in staying in Thailand permanently and will likely apply for a PR in 3 yrs (or as soon as possible).

If I stay on my non-imm "O" get my workpermit and go to work, when my Non-Imm "O" expires in December, can I extend it based on my job/salary rather than wiring in another 400,000 thai baht?....

Good luck to you for landing a good job.

You certainly can get a WP on a Non-O, there are plenty of people on this forum who have done that - myself included. If you earn enough (read pay enough tax) you will get an extension on your Non-O.

They will keep extending your visa whilst you are a taxpayer.

The only thing I am not sure is what the minimum threshold is for an Extension based on employment. The Ministry of Labour told me, and it went right through my head. That is the only thing you want to check.

To get PR, you also need to pay a minimum amount of tax for the three years. That I also forget, so going the Path of PR, you must pay tax.

I hope that helps you a little, I am sure there will be others who will clarify some of the grey areas I left

Good Luck

Good Luck and enjoy.

As said you can and should use your current O extension of stay. Next year you can probably use the money locally earned rather than from overseas or proof of monthly income over 40k (wife support amount).

If you change to B type and lose employment you also lose your extension of stay and hopes of PR (extreme case - you could probably convert in time to avoid a break in stay; but there is no need to take the chance). Keep the O. :o

I went through the same problem, company want me to go and get a 'B'.

It took one call to the labour department to ask the question and get the answer I already knew, yes you can get a WP on a non-o.

The process is slightly different to using a 'B', so many employers are scared of doing it coz it's new (to them).

.....The process is slightly different to using a 'B', so many employers are scared of doing it coz it's new (to them).....

I think thats what alot of companies do, they have a check-list, and if you Don't have a NON-B, then you have to get one.

Good Point Lopburi3;

Changing Visa's may jepordise the contiuance of stay.