Bangkok Bank

sbaker8688

The main branch on Thapae Road is good. I have banked with them for almost thirty years now without problems.

From Night Bizarre head towards Thapae Gate, it is on the left before the little Klong bridge & AIS office.

Assume you are referring to the Bangkok Bank Limited on Thapae Road. They are very obliging. I have been with them for about 20 years. I am led to believe that these days you need a work permit to open an account. Not sure if this is still the case.

I opened an acct at Bangkok Bank in 1977 and kept it going till around 2000 (originally in Bangkok, then transferred to Chiang Mai in the 90s). I also opened an acct at Siam Commercial Bank in Chiang Mai in the 90s, and kept both accounts going till around 2000 when I decided the service I was getting at SCB was much better than at BKK Bank. In particular I have found international transfers to go more smoothly with SCB, and when there has been a problem they've been quick to investigate or solve the problem, whereas BKK Bank acted like I was putting them out if I made an enquiry. Depositing checks from abroad was also a bigger hassle at Bangkok Bank, at least back when I was using both banks, perhaps they've improved since I closed my account with them circa 2000.

In particular I have found international transfers to go more smoothly with SCB, and when there has been a problem they've been quick to investigate or solve the problem, whereas BKK Bank acted like I was putting them out if I made an enquiry.

Cant agree more with Sabaijai about BKK Bank international "service" - it has sucked many times over the years & the staff at Thapae Rd branch have obviously been there too long to be seriously helpful / diligent at times. Although I note it has improved significantly the last couple of years! Years ago I remember the trick used to be ring a certain female employee in the Bkk HO who actually handled the inward overseas remittances, but that's another long story....

However the fact remains that SCB has the best Int'l service.

The service at Siam Commercial is indeed the best I have found. Also, if you ever want a credit card or a loan I know MANY friends who have had long term accounts with high balances at Bangkok Bank and they were turned down ( I assume because they are not Thai) however Siam Commercial has given home loans and credit cards to myself and friends.

:o

So the Siam branch to go to is near Thaipae Gate?

Also, what documentation and information will I need?  I already assume a passport.  What else?

Thanks.

If the Tha Phae branch is convenient for you, then yes. Otherwise just open an acct at the branch closest to where you live or work, make it easy on yourself. I originally opened my acct at Tha Phae but use the CMU branch more regularly.

I believe the head SCB branch in Chiang Mai is their branch on Phra Pokklao Rd in the old city. When I bought a condo here that was the branch I was instructed to use at any rate, and I had the impression it was the first SCB in Chiang Mai.

I had account with Bangkok Bank (Warowat Market) and I never like the service always slow parking is also a problem.

Recently, I open an account with SCB Thapae Branch, the service was fast and smooth, staff are friendly and helpful. Good parking facilty too.

SCB is at the Night Bazaar - Changklan intersection. NOT the bank right on the corner (that's the old Siam City Bank).

It has 2 entrances, one on Tapae Rd , one on Changklan. Tapae Rd you just see entrance to car park. Changklan you see steps up to foreign exchange and another entrance for cars. I bet they have some of those purple SCB umbrellas outside, they are everywhere!

SCB is a good bank, I bank there too, as well as Bangkok Bank. SCB better for anything to do with credit cards and online transactions. They are generally more with it than the rest.

Can you tell me where a good branch is for a falong to open an account?  Maybe they have one that "specializes" in opening accounts, speaking English, etc?  I am located near the Thaipae Gate/Night Bazaar area.

Thanks.

I recommend the Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited Pratuchangphuak branch (in Chiang Mai). We have had accounts there since 1991 and just set up another account there this past June. They have a Foreign Section to the right as you enter from the front (street) entrance with parking below the bank. Several of the representatives speak English very well. Chompoo was the representative that assisted us with currency conversion, arranging payments for a builder (home) and she is very helpful and polite. The address for the branch is:

125 Changphuak Road

T. Sriphoom A. Muang

Chiang Mai, Thailand 50200

If you need directions, please call Chompoo at 053-221313 ext. 1502.

Good Luck,

NavyRonin

Can you tell me where a good branch is for a falong to open an account? Maybe they have one that "specializes" in opening accounts, speaking English, etc? I am located near the Thaipae Gate/Night Bazaar area.

Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess most people deal with Bangkok Bank or SCB... I have two accounts with Kasikorn(Thai Farmers) Bank, one at the Thapae Road main Branch (USD) and one at Moon Muang Soi 8(THB) and have had no problems with any banking. I work on a ship so my salary is transfered in from abroad and there never has been a discrepancy.