Tourists

buadhai

Last week we took a road trip to northeast Isaan: Sakhon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan.

We were surprised at the dearth of tourists. We saw almost none.

Last time I was in the area (May of 2000), I saw plenty, including loads of backpackers.

At that time the area of the clock tower in Nakhon Phanom was quite active and the riverside restaurants there were full of customers both at lunch and dinner. Now that area is dead and most of the restaurants closed. The ones that are still open are empty and making zero effort to attract customers.

Since this is summer vacation in the US and Europe I expected to see at least a few backpacking university students exploring the Maekong region, but we saw none. Zip. Zero.

The hotels we stayed at were occupied almost exclusively by business travelers; both private and government. We visited several national parks and seemed to be the only customers.

What happened?

What happened?

Same in Pattaya/Jomtien at the moment... :o

I went for a drive last night along the entire length of Jomtien Beach road, and was surprised at the number of restaurants that were either dark and closed, or open but had very few customers.

Very quiet for this time of year... :D

I wonder if tourism country wide is slow at the moment?

Last week we took a road trip to northeast Isaan: Sakhon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Mukdahan.

We were surprised at the dearth of tourists. We saw almost none.

Last time I was in the area (May of 2000), I saw plenty, including loads of backpackers.

At that time the area of the clock tower in Nakhon Phanom was quite active and the riverside restaurants there were full of customers both at lunch and dinner. Now that area is dead and most of the restaurants closed. The ones that are still open are empty and making zero effort to attract customers.

Since this is summer vacation in the US and Europe I expected to see at least a few backpacking university students exploring the Maekong region, but we saw none. Zip. Zero.

The hotels we stayed at were occupied almost exclusively by business travelers; both private and government. We visited several national parks and seemed to be the only customers.

What happened?

It's a shame really as the rainy season is a lovely time to travel; especially if you're not planning to sun yourself on a beach somewhere. The overcast skies keep the temperature down and the rains turn everything nice and green. And, it's lovely to see so much water in the rivers. (Unless they overflow. Mukdahan was a bit of a mucky mess....)

As the Bangkok Post said in one of it's "Road Map" articles: "The rainy season is the best time to visit many parts of the Kingdom's Isan (sic) region."

We kept thinking how lucky we were that the sun didn't come out and force us to nap all afternoon.

:o

It's a shame really as the rainy season is a lovely time to travel; especially if you're not planning to sun yourself on a beach somewhere. The overcast skies keep the temperature down and the rains turn everything nice and green. And, it's lovely to see so much water in the rivers. (Unless they overflow. Mukdahan was a bit of a mucky mess....)

As the Bangkok Post said in one of it's "Road Map" articles: "The rainy season is the best time to visit many parts of the Kingdom's Isan (sic) region."

We kept thinking how lucky we were that the sun didn't come out and force us to nap all afternoon.

:o

So hows the bridge work going in Mukdahan? Last I heard they dropped some of it in the river. An accident like this always puts a project onto the slow track for awhile so that the problem can be diagnosed and avoided in the future....I'm just wondering if they've got it back together again and are moving forward.

So hows the bridge work going in Mukdahan?  Last I heard they dropped some of it in the river.  An accident like this always puts a project onto the slow track for awhile so that the problem can be diagnosed and avoided in the future....I'm just wondering if they've got it back together again and are moving forward.

Still pretty much dropped:

IMG_4755.jpg

yes rainy season is a great time to travel as its not too hot at daytime, cloudy mostly..... travelled KrungThep - Khorat - Khonkaen - Udorn - Nongkhai last weekend and was great..... almost no traffic after passing Khorat......a relaxing car-ride.... Nongkhai had quite a good share of tourists though..... the IndoCHi Market was crowded with both locals and Farang..... but UbolRat area was almost deserted even it was a sunday afternoon..... I will be doing the Nakhonsawan - Sukhothai - Phitsanulok - Uttaradit tour next weekend probably :-)

I just came back today from a few days driving around Korat and Buriram. I only saw 3 other farangs. Two were just visiting from Bangkok and the other looked like he was a local to Nakhon Ratchasima (judging by the load he was carrying on his scooter).

Doing my bit. :o

Been to BKK, Udon Thani, now in Ubon.

Not seeing many others travelling though. Spent yesterday looking at all sorts of places and only saw one other farang in my travels.

Guess this is Thailand, you know the place where they are having local troubles. I was asked before I left Ausi if it was safe to be travelling here. I pointed out I had no intention of heading to the south, or near the beaches so that should eleiminate Tsunamis and most local unrest as a souce of upset.

It is nice to see the fields green and water flowing, last ime I was here it was April.

Only got another few days then back to the grind.

Chang

I would suggest tourists avoid anywhere along the Isaan Mekong at the moment as it is only three steps from the top in Nong Khai.Awesome sight but scary at the same time.Makes the Thames in London look like a small stream.

Sure is, during April - May I drove from Sydney to Adelaide. It was the driest I have ever seen Oz.

WE have had some rain challenges in Oz not just on the poplular side of the rabbit proof fence. They are talking perminant (sp?) water restrictions for Perth.

Back to main topic, I have noticed a few falang around Ubon since my last post, they don't all look they live here, a few with TAT maps. Like many not sure which way up they go.

Might have been the prompting of this thread to make me notice, or they have come out between showers. I don't mind the showers, (not a pom :o ) at least here the rain is warm.

Still not looking forward to going home.

Chang

Well, the folks here in Isaan could use the tourist dollars, that's for sure. On the other hand, one of the great things about the area is the lack of tourists -- at least it is great for travellers who want to experience something more "authentic."

During the last 6 weeks we have driven virtually right around LoS and found the tourist hotspots to very quiet apart from Hua Hin and Chiang Mai which according to hoteliers and traders we met are both enjoying record periods of business.