Your Preferred Bangkok Hotel

buadhai

For those of you who reside outside of Bangkok, which hotel do you use when visiting the capitol and why?

I used to stay at the Rembrandt on Suk Soi 18. Great hotel, lovely rooms, excellent value, and a wonderful buffet breakfast.

But, now that I'm a fixed income retired geezer I have to watch my expenditures a little more closely so I've been staying at the Ambassador on Suk Soi 11. It's certainly a lesser hotel than the Rembrandt; the rooms are shabby and the amenities a little thin, but the location can't be beat, the breakfast is very good and the hotel's public areas have become quite nice of late. And, there are a number of fine restaurants very close by.

How about you? Where do you like to stay?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm prob need a price rider on this

For 3k a night ya cant beat majestic suites soi4

In/very near the action

New rooms

Big TVS

Two restaurants.

Budget around 1300 cant really beat the "new" wing of the Dynasty on Soi nana.

Again clean functional rooms ,good water pressure,handy for everything.

For those of you who reside outside of Bangkok, which hotel do you use when visiting the capitol and why?

I used to stay at the Rembrandt on Suk Soi 18. Great hotel, lovely rooms, excellent value, and a wonderful buffet breakfast.

But, now that I'm a fixed income retired geezer I have to watch my expenditures a little more closely so I've been staying at the Ambassador on Suk Soi 11. It's certainly a lesser hotel than the Rembrandt; the rooms are shabby and the amenities a little thin, but the location can't be beat, the breakfast is very good and the hotel's public areas have become quite nice of late. And, there are a number of fine restaurants very close by.

How about you? Where do you like to stay?

Hmm prob need a price rider on this

Thought of that but left it off 'cause I was also curious as to what people are willing to pay.

But, including the price of your choice hotel is a great idea.

I was paying US$50-60 for the Rembrandt and am now getting a double room at the Ambassador for US$30-35; both depending on the season and the best price offered by the various online sites.

buadhai;

If you are alone, you can't beat the Pennyblack.

650B a night, Have excellent clean rooms with Cable, and really good bathroom with a huge shower head. If you are in Transit and maybe just want to sleep for 2 or 3 hours, then they have a reduced price :o

A friend of mine actually lived in Asoke 21 for 3 months and Pennyblack for nearly 6.

He reported that the Pennyblack was far better.

That is a total of 9 months living in "Special" hotels.

BTW, if I was bringing my family I would choose the Royal Asia. Its about 1000 a night, and its far better for the family. I think a Jr Suite is about 1,200 a night.

have been using the Indra Regent for over 20 years still good value, great service, and get lots of perks, time before last we had a rather big reunion pissup when I went to pay the bill was told politely it was all on the house, another occasionwe were double booked and they booked us into the amari watergate at no extra cost, even though we have a holiday home in Prachuap we always stay in the indra when we are in town,nignoy

What price range are we talking about?

My favorites are:

900 - 1,100 Baht/night

Parkway Inn (between Suk 4 and Landmark)

- Fantastic service - great bar - crazy staff, but lousy internet (same owner family as Majestic Suites)

1,100-1,500 Baht/night Majestic Suites

Just clean and fantastic, near Nana.

3,000 - 4,000 Baht/nigth (Long time) Panthip Court, Sathorn Road.

One, Two or Three room apartments (It's actually a serviced Apartment Place).

I have one unit there, but it's rented out long time. Call them for a quote, this is a great place with a nice pool!

http://hotels.thaivisa.com

We like the MBK area but haven't found anything that really is great, just lots of mediocre. Hubby won't stay in the Sukhumvit area (harassed by a tout once, the guy grabbed his arm and pissed him off), I won't stay in the Banglampoo area (enough of backpackers thanks!). Silom sounds nice, but since we earn baht we do have a budget.

Keep up with the recommendations, but remember to include the price!

Used to stay in the Royal President, Suk Soi 15 but their recent price increases have been sufficient to make me look elsewhere (Now Bht 2,200.00 min).

Now we use the Nasa Vegas on Ramkangheng (Suk Soi 71) at Bht 590.00 to Bht 650.00; very easy access by car from the North or East. Very pleasant restaurant.

Majestic Suites - great price + central (around corner from Nana Plaza) + access to sky train and they treat me and my gf like family.  :o

I agree that this is one of the nicest and cleanest little hotels around. The staff is very friendly and always helpful. Only drawbacks are that the rooms are rather small and the breakfast is not much. (I don't eat eggs, so there's not much on the menu for me....) However, if I'm on my own I generally stay there.

The Federal Hotel on Sukhumvitt 11 (Soi Chayos).

Rooms from 750-1200 baht.

First time I stayed there was in 1963, when I was a dependent (Father OICC Thailand) then started staying there myself from 1990 until today.

The staff are dughters and sons of the staff from 1963, the owner is the son of the owner from 1963.

Fantastic coffee shop, reminiscent of what a coffee shop looked like in the 60s in the USA.

My family is recognized upon check-in, they send cards for my childrens birthdays and I now feel that I am part of the Federal Family.

Hard to get a reservation during during high-season, even though the hotel does not advertise, the repeat customers keep them full.........

:o

We always stay at the Hotel Malaysia primarily because it is close (walking distance) to many European Embassies.

Malaysia Hotel

54 Soi Ngam Du Plee,

Rama IV Road, Bangkok

Price: 680 - 930 TB

Tourist-class hotel with 120 fully air-conditioned guest rooms on the 6-storey building situated in the central area of Bangkok with restaurant and swimming pool.

Additional Features : Luggage storage, safety boxes, room services, laundry, international fax and telephone, e-mail, tour desk for local and international travel arrangements and Thai traditional massage.

have been using the Indra Regent for over 20 years still good value, great service, and get lots of perks, time before last we had a rather big reunion pissup when I went to pay the bill was told politely it was all on  the house, another occasionwe were double booked and they booked us into the amari watergate at no extra cost, even though we have a holiday home in Prachuap we always stay in the indra when we are in town,nignoy

The Indra Regent was my first Thailand hotel back in 1980. I stayed there as part of a package tour but never went back. From memory it was a little out of the way of the night life areas.

I'd be interested to know what they are charging per night these days.

I usually go from Bangkok Airport straight down to Pattaya these days, but whenever I do stay in Bangers I head for the Trinity Hotel.

Great location, clean, modern enough, cheap enough.

Check it out: http://www.hotelthailand.com/bangkok/trinity/

We always stay at the Hotel Malaysia primarily because it is close (walking distance) to many European Embassies.

The Malaysia certainly has gone through transformations over the three or four decades it's been in operation. It started out as an R&R hotel during the Vietnam "conflict". I first visited the Malaysia in the late 70's when it was backpacker central with a traveler's bulletin board famous throughout the region. By the mid 80's the backpackers had moved on, leaving that part of the Soi Ngam Dupli neighborhood to heroin addicts and down-and-out prostitutes. (European embassies notwithstanding....)

I haven't been in that area in years. Has it somehow been rehabilitated?

Used to stay at the Ambassador but the room quality for the price is a little poor. Tried 3 times over the last two years to get a reservation at the Majestic Suites (due to reviews) but alway fully booked. This was both high and low season with 2-3 weeks advanced notice. So I usually stay at the Dynasty Inn (1090 B/night) Soi nana. Clean, convenient - always ask for the new wing in back, quieter).

Ive stayed at the Royal Parkview on Suk Soi 20 on a few occassions, very nice, clean, good breakfast - prices around 1100bht to 1500bht depending on time of year etc.

http://www.bangkok-hotel.net/hotels/bangkok/hotel_2624.htm

the Rembrandt Hotel Suk Soi 18 wasnt too bad either, about the same standard and price.

http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/bangkok/rembrandt.html

BTW, if I was bringing my family I would choose the Royal Asia. Its about 1000 a night, and its far better for the family. I think a Jr Suite is about 1,200 a night.

I stayed at the Royal Asia exactly once. Here's why:

The day I was leaving I decided to call home to Saipan. This should have been easy because Saipan has a US Area Code. But the hotel switchboard couldn't handle it. I went down to the front desk to ask them to place the call. The clerk did a bunch of dialing and talking and then handed me the phone. It wasn't Saipan on the line, but an operator in Manila. I apologized to the operator, told the clerk what had happened and decided to give up.

When I went to check out there was a charge of 960 Baht on the bill for the erroneous and failed phone call. I protested, but the clerk insisted that I pay. He soon put me on the phone to the manager. By the time I'd finished with him the police had arrived and convinced me that paying was better than arrest and incarceration.

Since I was close to missing a difficult-to-rebook flight, I agreed and paid.

But, I never miss an opportunity to warn people against staying at this odious establishment.

My least favoutite , the rudest staff one has ever had the etc etc , is the Miami Hotel, followed closely by the SV Guest house , just up the road form the Honey.

:o

The miami is right up there as the worst but I would add the premmier inn on soi 20 a complete madhouse and staff who should be locked up. I don't like the majestic suites because they are not-just pokey rooms in a tiny hotel. My favs have always been the tai pan and the majestic, just wish they'd finish that building work at the back-peter

Ive stayed at the Royal Parkview on Suk Soi 20 on a few occassions, very nice, clean, good breakfast - prices around 1100bht to 1500bht depending on time of year etc.

Forgot the RPV attrocious place i thought and looks like it has had nothing spent on upkeep since built in 91. Stayed for a week, some lights did not work, mouldy and room not hoovered all week. Staff very unhelpfull and the breakfast poor. A hotel on it's way down IMO-peter