Posting Images To The Forum.

TizMe

This is a guide to posting images on the forum that you find elsewhere on the web.

Please read, even if you think that you know how to do it.

Many people have been directly hotlinking images into the forum, but guess what, nobody can see them.

When they look at your post, if they are using firefox then they will just see the words "user posted image" if they are using IE then they just see a red X.

The reason for this is that most web sites don't like to have their bandwidth used by other sites, so they prevent direct hotlinking from themselves.

Now I hear the original poster saying things like, "well I can see the image, so it must be a problem at your end". WRONG, the reason that you can see the image, but nobody else can is because you are loading the image from within your browser's cache and not from the original host. OK.

There is an easy way around this though by following these simple steps.

1) Right click on the image at the original site.

2) Click "save image as"

3) Save the image to your computer. (desktop is fine, it will be easy to find it in step 5)

4) Go to is1.gif

5) Click on the "Browse" button and then select the image that you saved in step 3

6) Click on the "host it" button.

7) ImageShack will then show you different links that you can use, either using "thumbnails" or using a full size image.(if the image is small to start with then the thumbnails options wont be shown)

8) Click on the text in the box next to "Hotlink for forums (1)", it should then become "highlighted".

9) Press Ctlr-C to copy the text to your clip-board.

10) Go back to the "Posting New Topic"

11) Click on your post where you want the image inserted.

12) Press Ctlr-V to paste the text into your post.

After you click "Post" you should then see your image like this...

mlnslg7zo.gif

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But why do you ignore the way I have written about at least three times in this forum?

The way that is available through Thaivisa's own software:

Using Add This Attachment (look at the bottom of the edit window - scroll if necessary - below the Post Icon Smilies).

1. Click on the Browse...button to select the image on you hard drive

2. Click on Add This Attachment

3. When the edit page has reloaded, place your curser where you want the picture to appear, click on Add into Post

The picture appears reduced in size (but expandable on clicking), thus saving even more bandwidth and the need to involve a third company.

post-1263-1130102218_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thomas_Merton

But why do you ignore the way I have written about at least three times in this forum?

Using Add This Attachment (look at the bottom of the edit window - scroll if necessary - below the Post Icon Smilies).

1. Click on the Browse...button  to select the image on you hard drive

3. When the edit page has reloaded, place your curser where you want the picture to appear, click on Add into Post

The picture appears reduced in size (but expandable on clicking), thus saving even more bandwidth and the need to involve a third company.

Just trying this way out to see how it works :o

Just trying this way out to see how it works :o

post-17137-1130104401_thumb.jpg

post-17137-1130104282.jpg

Edited by agsnowdon

a_1394.gund-brighton-white-teddy-bear-stuffed-animal.jpg

"So yeah, basically I thought it was all over. The cat held me captive for three days. At times it looked like she'd got bored with me but everytime I made a break for it, Whamo! she'd sythe me down with one of her massive paws and my life would flash before my eyes again. I owe my life to the Cat S.W.A.T. team and their negotiators, I'm dammmned certain I wouldn't be talking to you today without their intervention."

Testing, testing.......

post-9431-1130105316_thumb.jpg

Hmm, but you can't see it in the "Preview Post" page. And you can't make it big, like this:

catnteddy9xh.jpg

When you click on the reduced image you can.

Plus posting a full size image often distorts the display of Thaivisa and all subsequent postings on that "page", especially as the poster has no knowledge of the individual screen resolutions and sizes of members (I should have phrased this a little better) screens.

This was not too bad with your example, but often, that fine photographer, Kan Win, posts images of such a size, text in postings - and particularly the advertisements - are forced off my screen.

...posting a full size image often distorts the display of Thaivisa and all subsequent postings on that "page"...

I know what you mean - I usually resize down to 640x480 and reduce the quality so the file is no more than 60 to 80 Kbytes.

...fine photographer, Kan Win, posts images of such a size, text in postings - and particularly the advertisements - are forced off my screen.

Another way to get the adverts off your screen is to use Firefox browser with the "Adblocker" extension. :o:D

...posting a full size image often distorts the display of Thaivisa and all subsequent postings on that "page"...

I know what you mean - I usually resize down to 640x480 and reduce the quality so the file is no more than 60 to 80 Kbytes.

...fine photographer, Kan Win, posts images of such a size, text in postings - and particularly the advertisements - are forced off my screen.

Another way to get the adverts off your screen is to use Firefox browser with the "Adblocker" extension. :o:D

Had "Adblocker" running, but had never set it up. Have done now.

It really does make a lot of difference.

What does George say?

1. Click on the Browse...button to select the image on you hard drive

Hi

I need some advice I now shall be using this way to post my images but could help me.

The picture below I'd like to use as my signature but when I put the url in the signature box it just says the url but when I put the url in a post it show the picture. Any ideas as to where i'm going wrong?

heres the pic, thanks for your help :o

ashtext.jpg

Hi

I need some advice I now shall be using this way to post my images but could help me.

The picture below I'd like to use as my signature but when I put the url in the signature box it just says the url but when I put the url in a post it show the picture. Any ideas as to where i'm going wrong?

heres the pic, thanks for your help  :o

ashtext.jpg

You are, technically doing nothing wrong - it is just that Thaivisa does not allow this.

On other forums this may work, but Thaivisa only allows short phrases in the signature - NO pictures and NO links.

Another way to get the adverts off your screen is to use Firefox browser with the "Adblocker" extension. :D:D

Had "Adblocker" running, but had never set it up. Have done now.

It really does make a lot of difference.

What does George say? :o

To the OP, nice one TizMe.

Thank you Thomas_Merton for you kind words and RDN to find the remedy for said member.

So now Thomas_Merton you Kan see the bigger picture as it should be shown on a 15” Monitor. :D

The next bit is for you Thomas_Merton since I do try to take care on this forum and read and learn from most posters. :D

May I ask you a question Thomas_Merton ? Have you seen my WebPage ? All my photos in “Large Format” (to view) with your browser open fully, fits you’re screen (15” Monitor). I did that on purpose so that folks Kan view my work at ease. I use that same “Large Format” on ThaiVisaDotCom BTW and it shrink them down a bit to fit (this was before the Ads on your right hand side BTW). :D

As I mentioned before on this Fred http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...pic=33347&st=15

On this same subject (should any one missed it, please click on the above).

I do take this very seriously (to show my photos small, medium or large), and not to offend our Members, so please do not get me wong, if ThaiVisaDotCom Members feel the same like you do, then one will conform to put up small, medium photos on the Freds that I do.

Now to all Members:-

Since I am a Pole (Brit PP BTW) and have never created a Poll, maybe someone should do one and lettuce see witch SIZE the Members prefer. Anyone up to for it, to do a Poll for a Pole ? :D

Examples:-

Small

small.jpg

Medium

medium.jpg

Large

large.jpg

and for the Original, sorry :D too Big me think hence not posted.

In witch photo Kan you see the writing on the back of the man's jacket riding the bike and what does it say ?

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

• 1 month later...
...Since I am a Pole (Brit PP BTW)...

Hey Kan, what does "Brit PP "British "P"ass"P"ort Holder" mean?

...In witch photo Kan you see the writing on the back of the man's jacket riding the bike and what does it say ?...

largec6hz.jpg

Maybe its says "Win"? :D:oSure it does. Was lucky to take this one.

I like 'em big, BTW :D

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

Testing.

post-4007-1141829775_thumb.jpg

Please guys, can you tell me if you can see an image, I am using Thomas Mertons system, I can see it, but as previously stated, you may not see it.

I am trying to learn how to put images on, so please bear with me, Thanks.

Edited by Maigo6

Maigo6 (Winston) V :D

Welcome back “Old Member” Long time no see….

Sure, I Kan see it.

Please try to resize the photo to say 800 x 600 pixels for us on Dial-up.

Re the photo, “nice one” also the No. Plate 3999 BKK, good looking site BTW.

Also Please visit the "Photography and the Arts" Forum. :o

Drive safely,

:D:D:D

Lets try and keep our Heads above our Shoulder, Kan we, please. :D

Nice try Khow Pat. :D

The ending was just a teen-knee-bit wong and very slow to down-load on "Dial up". :D

Try and get the man in black to exit @ just before your "Av" re-starts. Next time less of the red ink (blood) as this is a family forum as well.

But, must say -We have a "Wizard of Oz" here. :o

• 2 months later...

I've just found this thread and read the posts but don't know if anything has been resolved about posting pix. I'm in the same opinion as Thomas Merton ie. use the add attachment facility which puts a thumbnail on display which can be opened up by clicking. As I'm on dial-up and I would think many more in Thailand are it would make life so much easier. When I clck on a thread that has pix. that open up straight away I have to wait a long time to read entire thread. If I check back later to same thread, I've got the same problem waiting for pix. I've already viewed. Whereas if only thumbnails are displayed I can choose which ones I want to enlarge and if I've seen them already I don't have to view them again. Hope you understand my post. Could we not have a limit to the size of pix. posted ( say max 600/700 wide, 150kb ) Sorry if already limit I'm not aware of.

BTW does the use of ImageShack Flickr etc. just put a link on the page? If so this is OK for larger pix.

Just fed up waiting for big pix. to open without any control. :o:D

Edited by monsieurhappy

• 2 months later...

[Well I am going to give this ago now]