64-bit Linux

The Coder

I would like to install a 64-bit version of linux (any distribution will do) on an AMD-64 system. I don't want to install the regular 32-bit version, even though I know it will work. I want a native 64-bit install for some experimentation purposes. Is this available anywhere? I looked at some of the shelves of software in Bangkok and didn't see 64-bit install specifically mentioned on the packaging. Or do the existing CD's have some option you can use to tell it you want the 64-bit native install?

• 1 month later...

Coder,

Do the 64 bit versions come as loaded as the regular ones?

I mean with Open Office, Amarok, Firefox, Thunderbird etc

And can anything not specifically designed for the 64 bit platform be installed, like google earth for example...

Thanks for any feedback!

Monty

The ubuntu 64-bit version is fully loaded with all the things you listed! As far as I know it has everything the 32-bit version has and they are both just one CD image. You can run 32-bit apps on it if you need them (no experience with google earth however except in Windows). I've found ubuntu 64-bit a very good offering unlike Windows 64-bit which is still a slight hinderance at this time because sometimes the drivers you need aren't there or certain applications don't work. Ubuntu seems to have it all together. Just a few nits like I haven't found a way to play VCD's with ubuntu. The advantage of the 64-bit version is it squeezes a little more speed out of your box and you can have unlimited amounts of RAM, though RAM limits probably won't come into play for most people for a few more years.