Best Internet Connections

mrmnp

I need advice for best internet connection in Chiang Mai.

I live 8km north of the city on Mae Rim Road and some homes here have TT&T phone lines and some have TOT phone lines, but both seem to take influence to get them. Before I pull out all the stops in that regard, I would appreciate advice on how to improve my current internet service.

I have wireless to GPRS at AIS at 40kbps and for three weeks I have not been able to download Thaivisa.com web page from the internet, although the connection to GPRS has been made. My computer tells me that the web page is downloading or the web page is opening but nothing after that happens. Sometimes, I can't even contact the site.

I assume it is a bandwidth problem, ie. VERY SLOW as most expats complain of here in Thailand, unless they have broadband. Am I right?

The service was more than satisfactory for the past year, except for the past two weeks.

I am very interested in the ADSL offer from TT&T, which promises some form of broadband, but it seems members are having trouble getting it installed, with one member saying he had good service.

I rarely dowload files, just try to access webpages, Thaivisa primarily and hotmail, which incidently I can usually get even when I can't get Thaivisa. Son in law says hotmail has larger servers and that is why it works when thaivisa doesn't. True?

I would appreciate all who live in Chiang Mai to post internet connection information in this thread so we in Chiang Mai can share our successes and failures with those who are the most needy for the information relating to Chiang Mai.

The internet is my "window on the world" and it is at the top of my list of "habibilty" items needed in Chiang Mai, so all help and advice will be very gratefully received and appreciated. Many thanks.

Especially a TT&T line should be easy to get? This will be the cheapest choice, and adequate for web browsing.

Personally I'm waiting a little with broadband, see what other people;s experiences are. It's not cheap either, yet another 1000 baht or so monthly expense. Also not sure if it's truly unlimited usage? Also for access outside of Thailand unlimited??

Cheers,

Chanchao

mrmnp

I just tested out thaivisa.com from a clients AIS GPRS setup and it worked fine.

You may want to clear out your cache. In IE go to START -> SETTINGS -> Control Panel -> Internet Options . Under the 'General' tab in the 'Temporary Internet Files' section click the 'Delete Files Button' then click ok .. Restart IE and if you're Lucky Thaivisa will load up.

Chanchao: If the guys who have advised on the other thread regarding the TT&T ad about 1000 baht special give us a favorable report on their service then your and my question would be:

1. Does TT&T offer broadband in Chiang Mai or is it a 40kbps service similar to GPRS currently in use on my computer which is very fast when not busy and not so fast when busy?

2. The GPRS service (DTAC has it too) gives unlimited access to international internet websites at the same speed as their Thai sites, ie. 40Kbps, is the TT&T any better than GPRS in this regard?

3. Does anyone have any complaints about GPRS other than it is not broadband?

My impression regarding all these "announcements" regarding broadband programs and just that, "announcements", ie. the government and their "announcements", all publicity and no substance. They are driven by competititve forces and attmepts to keep their client base from jumping ship to a competitor before they are ready to provide broadband service.

If I understand it correctly, TT&T is a private company, fairly new and still in the process of laying the majority of thier telephone lines. If so, why don't they lay optic cable, in the first instance, so they have the cable necessary to carry boradband? If I understand it correctly, DSL service describes the type of cable that is used for the telephone and the accompanying broadband wires?

Thus, if TOT or TT&T have layed traditional phone line, they must lay again a new line to carry the DSL or broadband? Can they piggyback the broadband on exisiting phone lines? I know in the U.S. before I left five years ago, telephone companies could increase the number of lines into your house by piggybacking existing telephone lines layed many years earlier with some form of new technology. Is this the case here?

I have wireless to GPRS at AIS at 40kbps and for three weeks I have not been able to download Thaivisa.com web page from the internet, although the connection to GPRS has been made.

Things are apparently happening on the DSL front in CNX - the Bangkok Post ran a PR from CAT a couple of weeks back announcing their new provinical DSL services. Apparently 128kbps inside LOS, and 40kbps outside for 1,000/month unlimited. I havent' been able to find any real info (mostly due to the fact that I haven't been bothered to look as 40kbps tethered to a wall doesn't excite me), but it shouldn't be too hard to find out the story..

About 18 months ago I was using the iPStar 2-way satellite system - until Thaicom2 detontated a power supply and the service went to crap that is. After 3 months of no service, I had somwhat of a falling out with them after I refused to pay 24,000 baht (3 months x 8,000b) for non-existant connectivity. It could have improved now, but I'm in no mood to deal with them again. If anyone's interested in buying a 1.5m iPStar dish & Linux stallite gateway server, please feel free to remove it from my laundry room! :)

I'm currently using DTAC GPRS (40kbps for 1,000/month unlimited) and while it certainly has it's moments, by and large it works OK. No internet connectivity in Thailand is exciting when you've come from a country that gives you 8mbps for the equivelant of 2100 baht/month..

As for dialup - I may just end up getting it as a backup now that the local telco rogues have reduced their ransom for a line from 20k-25k down to 4k. Once again, you can hardly get excited about a 56kbps service that will actually only deliver 32-44kbps given the horrendous state of the telephone infrastructure.

Just for interest sake, what are you paying for the AIS GPRS service?

End of rant, sorry I wasn't of any help! :)

BlissfullyIngnorant: I envy your onscreen name, I am more deserving of it than you!

In any case, your information was very helpful, as I am considering Ipstar and will discuss your problems with my consultant who will install the equipment if I make that decision.

My AIS unlimited use cost per month is about 850, and only one month was it more, (9500) when the IBM daughter and son-in-law were here for a week over Christmas and were downloading from their company system all of their e-mails, thus they were connected more than eight hours a day.

As I have said, AIS has been fine for most of the last year, except for the last two weeks and a week in February. When I cannot connect, I get very upset, as it is my window to the world and my relief when UBC channels are repeating one more time.

Thanks again for your imput

BlissfullyIngnorant: I envy your onscreen name, I am more deserving of it than you!

IMHO, we're all Blisfully Ignorant - if we weren't we couldn't be here!

Intersteing info on the AIS deal - given that you had to pay extra when the rels were in town I can only assume it's not a true "unlimited" deal. Everyday I test whether DTAC is truly unlimited with 15+ hours of usage, and can confirm that it is in fact unlimited. God they must hate me, if not for my usage, for my 100+ complaint dept. calls :) I've got a real problem shaking off my Western service expectations, but hey, at least the beer here is OK.

mrmnp,

Just a couple of points regarding the IPSTAR service, from someone who used it for 7-8 months:

1) When it rains it doesn't work. At All. The wet seaon in CNX is very wet (hence the name I guess) If being online is critical you'll need a backup.

2) For at least 2 weeks every year you will have "Sunspot" problems - this happens when the sun sits behind the thaicomX bird - expect outages of 4-8 hours a day during these times. Once again, if the net makes you money, make sure you have a backup.

Further to these points, I would be looking closely at their service guaruntee - when I signed up there was no guarantee, which lead to quite a battle when their service simply didn't work for months on end.

Best of luck, and if all else fails, grab yourself a few bottles of Leo and be BlissfullyIgnorant like me! :o

Hey Bliss...

Do you know if the sattelite used for ipstar is the Shinn one used by UBC or are we talking about another one. Where is it located in the sky, in relaionship to the Shinn sattelite?

Hey Bliss...

Do you know if the sattelite used for ipstar is the Shinn one used by UBC or are we talking about another one. Where is it located in the sky, in relaionship to the Shinn sattelite?

AFAIK, they are one and the same - when I had the initial problem with ThaicomII falling over, UBC's commercial multi dwelling service (hotels, condos etc) was reduced to just a handful of available channels. When they moved my service to ThaicomI I was told they had to do so in order to restore normal CMD UBC services. Like I say, things may be better/different now, but I'm happy to remain ignorant! :o

• 1 year later...
hi'

my 2B in here :D

TT&T phone-line and ji-net as provider and ride @ 45.2  :o

francois

I ordered Ji-Net, via TT&T, a couple of weeks ago. I received my username and password last week, and just today got around to installing the modem they sold me, an Allied Telesyn AT-AR206.

The modem tests out fine, but every time I try to dial up I get Error Message 651. I've been on the phone to Ji-Net on and off all day and they're of no help, saying everything checks out on their end.

Francois, any ideas?

thanks

FYI, Chanchao started a topic a while back called Total ADSL Experience or something like that, which developed lots of info on services.

I have been happy so far with TOT's 1000/256 unlimited service @ 1000B per month. The line dropped a couple of times, though turning the modem on and off a few times seemed to fix it.

I finally got a TT&T tech on the phone who knew what he was talking about and found the problem, a simple misspelling in my username.

So I'm finally broadbanding. I just tested via Ji-Net's website and got a report saying:

Your current bandwidth reading is:

210.30kbps

which means you can download at 26.29 KB/sec. from Ji-net servers.

Not too shabby. I have the 256K/125K, 1/10 package.

I live 8km north of the city on Mae Rim Road and some homes here have TT&T phone lines and some have TOT phone lines, but both seem to take influence to get them. Before I pull out all the stops in that regard, I would appreciate advice on how to improve my current internet service.

I have wireless to GPRS at AIS at 40kbps and for three weeks I have not been able to download Thaivisa.com web page from the internet, although the connection to GPRS has been made.  My computer tells me that the web page is downloading or the web page is opening but nothing after that happens.  Sometimes, I can't even contact the site.

I assume it is a bandwidth problem, ie. VERY SLOW as most expats complain of here in Thailand, unless they have broadband.  Am I right?

The service was more than satisfactory for the past year, except for the past two weeks.

I am very interested in the ADSL offer from TT&T, which promises some form of broadband, but it seems members are having trouble getting it installed, with one member saying he had good service.

I rarely dowload files, just try to access webpages, Thaivisa primarily and hotmail, which incidently I can usually get even when I can't get Thaivisa.  Son in law says hotmail has larger servers and that is why it works when thaivisa doesn't. True?

I would appreciate all who live in Chiang Mai to post internet connection information in this thread so we in Chiang Mai can share our successes and failures with those who are the most needy for the information relating to Chiang Mai.

The internet is my "window on the world" and it is at the top of my list of "habibilty" items needed in Chiang Mai, so all help and advice will be very gratefully received and appreciated.  Many thanks.

I have three systems,and Jayen has a fourth. My systems are;

1) I-Star.Satellite in and out No phone line needed.....................good but expensive,although I think there's a special 5,000 baht offer at the mo. Cost me 20,000 set-up fee. After that 3,000-5,000 a month.

2) DTAC..................Set-up 1,000 baht. Monthly fee 1,300 unlimited.Best for Lap-tops.

3) Loxinfo/CS coms card............easy to use,cheap,but sometimes slow.

Jaye has ISDL from TT&T I think. Same speed as IP-Star 256K. Not sure of the cost thopugh.

I have recommended IP-Star to a number of people and they are all satified. As I say, it is expensive,but as I run an internet cafe it is just right for me.

Edited by lampard10

The following may be of use and then again it may not. Regarding ADSL - in my personnal oppinion - It Is The Best way to go! I live 40 KM north of Chiangrai and have a TT&T line. When it was first installed in August 2004 I had nothing but problems. A lot of them were my own doing - I did not understand how to get it to work! Now, I have no problems whatsoever. I am up and running 24 hours a day and the 'speed' is great. I have a friend who installed an IPSTAR internet system and, as someone mentioned, everytime there is any rain - Not even in the local area - he looses his signal. With TT&T there is NO loss of signal. It may take awhile for TT&T personnel (several visits) to clear up the line for ADSL but it is worth the effort - just be patient.

By the way the cost - ADSL line with LOXINFO service costs me 1,605 baht per month. You also have to have an ADSL ROUTER - DO NOT install the ADSL Modem. For some reason the modems are not very good.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

I have wireless to GPRS at AIS at 40kbps and for three weeks I have not been able to download Thaivisa.com web page from the internet, although the connection to GPRS has been made.  My computer tells me that the web page is downloading or the web page is opening but nothing after that happens.  Sometimes, I can't even contact the site.

I assume it is a bandwidth problem, ie. VERY SLOW as most expats complain of here in Thailand, unless they have broadband.  Am I right?

I rarely dowload files, just try to access webpages, Thaivisa primarily and hotmail, which incidently I can usually get even when I can't get Thaivisa.  Son in law says hotmail has larger servers and that is why it works when thaivisa doesn't. True?

The internet is my "window on the world" and it is at the top of my list of "habibilty" items needed in Chiang Mai, so all help and advice will be very gratefully received and appreciated.  Many thanks.

TT&T have jus installed a ADSL modem at my house 10kms outside Chiang Mai. Everthing works ok. Cost about 1600banht/month but I save 1000baht/month using Skype to make International calls to my family in the Uk. Now my family have loaded the software on their computer in the UK, it free! Nigel

A vendor I work with in Baan Tawaii has a 1Gig kpbs service with TTT and suggested I get the same about 1,000B. However at Pantip I was told my pre-fix must go through TOT as it was in their service area. The TOT office is two shops down and I found they cannot connect me without thefamily and house papers of the lady I rent from. Went back and filled out the forms and was told there was a 6 week backlog for connection services. I bought the ADSL modum just to be pre-pared.

Two months later and nothing. I go back to TOT office and the girls fresh from uni said we are still in line on the waiting list, I considered this might be code for "tip us if you want your service connected" but gave them my phone #'s again and was told to wait on ther call, it shouldn't be much longer now.

one month later, the tissue the put my # on must have been used for more immediate needs. I went back and was luck to find a branch manager whowas very appoligetic and said he would have someone over to my place tomorrow, which he did. Only he came un-prepared without the right materials necessary to create a connection. He said he would return in a week, but I had to be in BKK for a month and said I would arrange for him to return then.

Back in CM TOT office, the girls again had no clue as to what to do, so they dialed their manager and he remembered us and has someone out two days later. He got it up and running, with my modum and phone line, but was using his own company username and password. He then gave set-up my connection with my username and password, and said my account would be connected in about a week.

Three weeks later, that's right -NOTHING. Went back to the office and was told they were still working to expand their lines into my part of town, Nong Hoi, and it could be another month since we were considered far from town center.

I tried to explain that the service guy connected using his name and passwork from my computeri n my house, in Nong Hoi when he came out, given a valid password and ID mine should connect as well - right? Wrong, the cable/phone lines have not reached so far out of town and I may have to wait a while longer.

driving around my neighborhood I came across a computer business from a neighbors home and related my problem to him; "What problem is that? I have TOT ADSL here and it works fine". He had only waited one month for the innitial instilation guy to come out and hook him up as has been successfully using it ever since.

Went back to the office. Even with my Thai wife explaining to the girls what going on, when they were so inclined to look-up from their hand mirrors, they took our address and said they would get someone there this week. Only who shows up at my place is a telephone repair guy from TOT askingwhat phones in the house were not working.

Before coming back to BKK I went again and was told it should be turned on at the main computer office anyday now. Here I am in BKK until next week when I return to CM, and what do you wanna bet I gotta start from scratch at the TOT office in Pantip again.

Five months now and they can't get it done and I not sure they ever will. I find it so entirely frustrating I feel like giving up.

Being in a TOT neighborhood, are they the only company I can use? I know TTT cannot, art there any other high-speed providers I should check out?I do alot of work over the internet and I really need the speed. My 7-11 CSLox card is lucky to give me over 24-28 speed and usually 18kpbs.

I'm at the end of my rope, any ideas as to what I should do? Has anyone tried the new pay-in-advance TRUE service and could it possibly work for me?

Ay advice is welcome...Thanks

socalbro, I don't have any advice, but I want to thank you for convincing me, at least for the time being, not to even bother with high-speed. Your tale of woe tells it all. Back home in midtown Houston, Texas, I had a laughingly similar problem for about a month with the big boys, Time-Warner Cable, but they had to pay me $25 both times they missed the scheduled appointment! the first installer liked my style in pop Mexican music (Mana) but couldn't do anything. The second installers used to live at my house!

Apparently, Mr. Thaksin has no influence in telecommunications or in Chiang Mai. Some day, Lanna may approach the 1990's in technology. Meanwhile, where's that DIAL phone, or do I wait for the OPERATOR to ring me up?