Ubuntu 6.06

astral

Thanks to The Coder for suggesting this release in another thread.

I am quite a novice with Linux, but have experimented in the past.

I have downloaded the release and burned the CD.

So far I have only loaded from the CD but I am impressed with the way it found all the hardware

on my HP notebook, even though it is a new machine, less than 6 months old!

The release also seems to have a workable set of programmes to start with.

Now the questions.

1. How much disk space should I free up to install?

2. Will the install create the partition for me?

3. Will the install create a dual boot with my existing Windows 2000?

4. Does Ubuntu support my data files under NTFS?

The initial run from the CD suggests not. So I will have to convert some of my partitions to FAT32

which I assume it will read.

Thanks for now, but I may have more questions later.

4. Does Ubuntu support my data files under NTFS?

The initial run from the CD suggests not. So I will have to convert some of my partitions to FAT32

which I assume it will read.

Ubuntu (Linux in general) does support NTFS so no need to convert. Just need to use the NTFS switch and mount the drive(partion) to a newly created linux directory. Type the command 'man mount' and it will explain it including the switches to mount NTFS.

I did the Ubuntu thing - ran it off my cd and was impressed.

Then I installed it on my hd - I made TWO extra partitions,

1 for the swap (about twice the size of your RAM is a good guide)

and I then made a regular partition and installed.

That's when my fun started ...

Ubuntu worked GREAT

My winXPPro iwas TOAST (lots of stuff just started having spasms ('puter term))

I ended up reformatting the whole hd and not reinstalling ubuntu.

I will re-install it on a spare computer soon but for my real work stuff I need windoze so I am just playing with Linux.

My point is - expect a stuff-up or two and prepare a working backup.

the split second i can (easily) run my important software I will ditch windows

Jack

Ubuntu (Linux in general) does support NTFS so no need to convert. Just need to use the NTFS switch and mount the drive(partion) to a newly created linux directory. Type the command 'man mount' and it will explain it including the switches to mount NTFS.

Are you sure?????

Reading the Ubuntu online help manual it says NTFS should be read only.

This probably explains JackFrost's corruption in his Windows XP.

I am away in India this week. Once I get home next week I will do a full backup

before I try reinstalling. I can easily convert my data partition as well. :o

Are you sure?????

Didn't say it would be easy. :o However take a look here:

http://ubuntuos.wordpress.com/2006/08/02/h...ubuntu-ntfs-3g/

Does seem to be a warning though about NTFS writes here (mentions creating a FAT32 for safety): http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p3.htm

Also NTFS resizing: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

I tried to resize my NTFS hard drive. It told me I needed to run CHKDSK/f to fix some problem. It set a batch file to run CHKDSK next time I booted which it did but nothing happened, I didn't see the /f switch, Ubuntu told me again to run CHKDSK but I simply went around the circle again.... I tried to run CHKDSK from a command prompt but all that did was set up the same batch file on reboot. Nothing happened so I still cannot install Linux on the desktop....

An update and an answer to some of my own questions.

I am writing this using Firefox under Ubuntu.

Partitioner.

The option here to "Format the whole disk", is a little scary. Do NOT press that button unless you really mean it.

I had used Partition Magic to free up some space before hand.

The Partitioner of Ubuntu has a very similar interface.

I created a root partition of 3Gb and a swap file of 2Gb.

From there on installing was very straight forward.

Dual Boot

I installed alongside Windows 2000 and Ubuntu created a dual boot menu,

without any prompting.

General

As I previously mentioned all my hardware was detected without any hitches.

With other Linux distros that I have tried there has always been a problem or two,

usually with modems.

All my disk partitions seem to be accessible, though I had converted my personal data to a FAT32 partition beforehand.

I have been using Open Office for several years and the Linux version opens my .odt files with no problems, as I would expect.

Internet connection.

This is the only area where I have had a problem, and it is not down to Ubuntu!!

My adsl modem has a programme called Tango Manager to handle the logon from Windows.

This is not available for Linux.

However I found I could access the Aztech DSL600E router/modem directly

from my browser.

So I entered my id and password, but it refused to connect.

After some searching I found a firmware update and now the modem connects automatically

as soon as it is powered on.

Incidentally the logon from the Tango programme no longer works.

Who cares, I cannot use it here in Linux anyway.

The touch pad on my notebook does not seem as sensitive under Ubuntu but that

may just be a matter of settings

If you are looking for a functional Linux distro as possible replacement for Windows

then I recommend you try Ubuntu.

It is the best I have seen yet, even for the un-initiated.

Hi Astral,

To help your touchpad sensitive settings you can try to install a package called "synaptics" you probably find it in your software manager (synaptic).

By the way this two packages are not related, all they have almost the same name. The synaptics package is a touchpad driver with able to change settings, the second is a program package manager (I belief used by Ubuntu, sorry I use mostly Fedora and/or Suse)

Before I installed Kubuntu, I used Partition Magic and resized by c -partition smaller, resized my d parititon a bit larger then converted the D partition to Fat32 so that is fully accessible to both Windows and Kubuntu. After resizing, I had a 5 gb chunk of space left for Kubuntu and just let the installer install in the largest available partition.

Kubuntu does everything Windows can do..just gotta find the programs and use WINE.

root access

I am not quite ready to make Ubuntu my default system so I want to change the boot menu file /boot/grub/menu.lst.

The problem is the file belongs to root and other users cannot modify, only read.

So what is the root password?

In other distros I have always been allowed to add root as the first user during installation.

If I do that here the login screen tells me that root access is not allowed to login on the graphics interface.

If I cannot login then I cannot add other users.

If I specify another id at installation, say admin, then I have no root access.

I am stumped on this one.

Internet Access

Accessing the internet is painfully slow in Ubuntu.

Back to Windows it is fast, same line, same router/modem settings all saved in the router.

Any ideas.

Opera

I am an Opera fan so I have downloaded and installed Opera, not problems there, but

I have a large number of bookmarks I want to access, and they are in a Fat32 partition

which Linux Opera does not see.

Thanks

Anytime you need root privilidges, preface the command with "sudo". If you want your terminal to run as root for everything you use, type in "sudo sh". Logging in as root isn't allowed on ubuntu for stability and security reasons. Apparently Windows Vista will be similar to this.

If I load Ubuntu will I be able to run GPRS as this is my only internet connection?

Also could somebody please tell me the name of the software to replace Word Excel etc.

My mind has gone to a blank page today.

Thanks a lot

The MS Office replacement is OpenOffice and believes comes with Ubuntu already. GPRS with bluetooth enabled phone and dongle can be done. This is an application that is supposed to simplify the job: GPRS Easy Connect http://www.gprsec.hu/modules/docs/#1 Only issue is the installation may not be straight forward.

Having, as a background task, tried multiple times to download a fully functioning iso image of this, using both the 'se' and Thai location, does anyone know where I can obtain a local CD? Looked today at Fortune in Bangkok, but given the 'competition' there was little *nix to see.

I've been able to get one image to boot, but the casper element does not checksum so I can run the live cd and experiment, but most operations fail, though oddly enough I could connect to the net and use Firefox, run Open Office and access NTFS USB drives.

Advice, suggestions welcome.

By the by I'm using a True 'home' 2/1 mb :o ADSL, package to access the net with download manager set to single stream, just in case the 're-assembly' causes problems.

Regards

Having, as a background task, tried multiple times to download a fully functioning iso image of this, using both the 'se' and Thai location, does anyone know where I can obtain a local CD? Looked today at Fortune in Bangkok, but given the 'competition' there was little *nix to see.

There was a TV member offering a free CD but that was sometime ago. If you can wait you can get it shipped to you for free from here: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Thanks for the link, I'd looked at that and since the shipping time is 4 to 6 weeks, thought I'd see if there were more options, hence my post.

Regards

I have the same problem so I thought, download, go for it.

After 30 minutes it was still downloading so I looked and it is in the order of 670 Mb and I am running on GPRS.

Does anyone have a copy that I can have for free, or rent or borrow?

I am still finding web access painfully slow when using Ubuntu.

On windoze it is fine.

Same modem, and line.

Any ideas?

Is it configured to use the same DNS server (name server), that can slow it down a lot. Same with caching proxy server in your browser. Make sure they are both the same IPs as your Windows setup.

Opera

I am an Opera fan so I have downloaded and installed Opera, not problems there, but

I have a large number of bookmarks I want to access, and they are in a Fat32 partition

which Linux Opera does not see.

Can you see your Fat32 partition at all? Perhaps you didn't mount it because Ubuntu supports Fat32 for read & write. Once it's mounted it's accessed via the mount point (directory).

It should all be the same as that is picked up by the router at logon time,

which the router does automatically.

I just get a lan address from the router, via dhcp, and off I go, or should do. :o

• 3 weeks later...

I have 3 spare copies of Ubuntu 6.06 if anybody wants one. Also through blind stupidity I appear to have 10 copies of Kubuntu in transit somewhere.

I borrowed some Suse 10 and the Ubuntu double cd, also a Kubuntu cd to try to get at least one working on my spare laptop and I now have so much Linux when I start up I am totally confused.

I am also running windows XP and that still works.

How can I clear, uninstall or reformat the whole hard drive as I have a windows back up on an external drive? :D:o

Sorry billd766,

Ubuntu release 6.10 is out, and is so much better then 6.06

http://mirror.in.th/ubuntu/releases/6.10/

By the way why want people with a slow internet connection install Ubunta Linux, everything has to be downloaded. OpenOffice as example is already something like 200MB.

Edited by Richard-BKK

• 1 month later...
Sorry billd766,

By the way why want people with a slow internet connection install Ubunta Linux, everything has to be downloaded. OpenOffice as example is already something like 200MB.

Bill 766 and A Traveller:

Bill 766: Since you have a corrupted ISO image of Ubuntu 6.06, here's a quick way to fix it: On, mirror.in.th, they also have a .torrent version available for download. Just start the torrent download, and make sure you know where the .iso image is being downloaded. Then when the .iso image file appears in the download folder (it takes a few seconds to minutes depending on file size), STOP the torrent download. Delete the .iso file just downloaded (NOT the .torrent file), and copy the corrupted .iso file to the same folder. Then, restart the .torrent, and it will check the corrupted image and re-download the corrupted parts. Bittorrent has automatic hash-checking so you'll get a correct hash match.

Just tried this today and it worked like a charm... I'm writing this off a Live Ubuntu CD.

A Traveller: Send me a PM, and I'll send you Dapper Drake... 6.1 didn't recognize some hardware (why?) that 6.06 did, so I'm reverting...

Oops, just noticed the thread's a month old and you both must have the CDs by now...

Edited by talatnat

Sorry billd766,

6.1 didn't recognize some hardware (why?) that 6.06 did, so I'm reverting...

I had the same detection issue and reverted to 6.06 (kubuntu) also...