Jump to content


Global Moderators
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Sheryl

  1. 40 minutes ago, Pib said:


    Just out of curiosity how do you pay those quarterly payments?  Do you pay by electronic means maybe where you authorize the IRS "to debit" your US bank acct which means you provided them your bank acct routing number & acct number.  OR you "push" an electronic payment to the IRS from your bank acct.  OR you mail them a snail mail paper check.  OR ?????   


    From some googling I saw there are various ways to pay as described on the 1040ES instructions.   



    If by chance you pay via electronic means using your US bank routing number/acct number where the IRS "pulls" the payment from your acct because you authorize to do so, then they already have your bank acct info.  But maybe such info just can't be used for stimulus payments because the IRS don't want to use that info for some reason(s).   


    Many aspects of the stimulus payment/data collection process just make me scratch my head in wondering why the IRS does things in a certain way.  But I expect due to the complexity of the US tax system/laws/regulations the IRS does have a reason (good or bad) for every thing that can appear strange and/or stupid to us taxpayers. 



    I do it the first way using IRS site. But it does not save bank details, says so when you do it. And each time I have to re-enter the bank details.


    What I fail to understand is why they did not enable provision of direct deposit info online for everyone. 

  2. 4 hours ago, Pib said:

    I get the impression from above press release that the U.S. Treasury is pretty much done in distributing stimulus payments...and IMO below paragraph beats around the bush in saying such.



    And unless wanting to wait to file a 2020 return in early 2021 to claim your stimulus payment "but you normally don't file a return as you are not required" then maybe it's time to use the Non-Fliers tool as talked below which is basically a special, super simple 2019 return, and will still be available for use until 15 Oct 2020.  Or, just file a regular 2019 return now.




    I would be fine with claiming it on my 2020 tax teturn, in fact had I been given a choice that would have been my preference and it in fact would give me money now as I have to make estimated tax payments each quarter abd coyld just reduce what I send -- same difference and a lot simpler than they s4nd me money and I turn around and send it back to them in the form of an estimated tax payment.


    But this option was not offered and I also could not arrange direct deposit because the non filers tool can't be used if you filed taxes in 2018 or 2019. So now I am stuck with having had a check lailed that has not arrived and might never.


    I teally can't understand why they could not arrange to let filers provide direct deposit info. Not everyone gets a tax refund and even those who do may apply it to the following year's taxes. I file ever year but never get a refund.  Usually have to pay a little, occasionally there is a slight overpayment in which case I apply it to the following years tax and adjust my estimated payments accordingly.

    • Like 1

  3. 15 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

    Iv had some major health problems lately with my skin, eczema, spots. My hair is falling out also. I have some food intolerances but I don't think they are causing it. For a while I thought it was a candida or a gut bacteria imbalance. Cut out a lot of fruit because the sugars feed the candida yeast. I cant figure it out. Maybe hot humid climate? Maybe Coronavirus? R/O Water? It's been a nightmare.... 

    Nothing to do with COVID. Also unlikely to be due to water you drink but could be a reaction to the water you bath in. Or soap or laundry detergent. Or just heat rash from the heat and humidity. Or stress. All of these can cause eczema.


    Suggest you see a dermatologist for the rash.


    But I would avoid water from those machines. You could fit a filter into your tap or else buy bottled  water or those large plastic jugs and fill smaller containers from it (can get dispensing cap at places like Home Pro).


    RO water is indeed lacking in minerals but if you have a healthy diet should not matter as you'd get enough in your food 

  4. You could try hydroxyzine which can be bought over the counter in a variety of brand names. Also something called Sominar. Both are antihistamines/mild tranquillizers. Usual dose for sleep is 2 tabs. With the hydroxyzine make sure 25mg dose not 10mg the lowrr dose is for allergies.


    Non-addictive. May leave you with dry mouth and some people feel groggy in the morning, others not.

  5. 2 hours ago, HKwang 12 said:

    Thanks for the replies

    I am dealing with Cigna global with expat insurance. For some reason I or policy ,does not rate online service.

    I can not get thru to with the UK numbers ,the US numbers try to transfer but also useless.

    US office can't help you anyhow. They do not handle these policies.


    All Cigna Hlibal policies allow use of the online service but you have to register for it. Also no guarantee you can cancel a policy online so migjt not be worth the hassle to do.


    I suggest you send a letter if cancellation by courier with signature of receipt required.

  6. If you are capable of leaving on your own you have absolute right to do so any any time even against medical advice.


    The problem comes when you are unable to leave on your own. It then falls on your wife to be very assertive and if she is Thai, that will be difficult. Her chances of getting you discharged home against medical advice are slim if you are setiously ill. Transferred to a government hospital is more feasible but will still take a lot of assertiveness from her side.

    Thete is also the problem of knowing day to day how much bill has accumulated.


    Leaving against medical advice will usuallt make it impissible tohave medical insurance pay for the costs. 


    Your best bet is to not use private hospitals in the first place and make surw you have sufficient finds to cover care at a government hospital.

  7. 6 hours ago, JCP108 said:

    In the same boat. I must travel from Thailand to the U.S. in the near future for family matters. Right now, looks like I will not be able to return for some time


    Same here.


    My concern re this "fourth quarter' business is that by then the US will quite likely be having its second wave.  So I would not bank on being able to travel then. If things do open up, go as quickly as possible is my plan in hopes of getting back before second wave is noticeable

  8. 6 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:


    "The new case is a 26-year-old Thai man who recently returned from Saudi Arabia"


    Are people, who have returned from abroad, tested as a matter of course?


    How many new cases would be found if everyone in the country were tested?


    Yes.  Tested and if positive hospitalized, if nef^gative quarantined for 14 days and re-tested an day 13 befor edischarge from quarantine


    Obvioulsy more cases, mosrt of the asymptomatioc will be found if there is more testing. That is true anywhere. But the yield would likely not be very high at this point 

    • Like 1

  9. 2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

    That´s strange. They have exactly the same logotype. Google also say that it´s subsidiarie of Cigna Worldwide Insurance Company.

    Cigna Worldwide have exactly the same address as Cigna seen on Cigna.com

    Cigna - Cigna Global and Cigna.co.th is all using the same logo. I think that makes the answer simple.

    Please check that and correct me if I am wrong.


    They are subsidiaries of the same umbrella parent company but completely independent of each other.


    Cigna Thailand only issues local policies to Thai citizens.


    Cigna Global issues expatriate policies worldwide.


    Cigna USA issues policies to US residents for care in the USA.


    So very different products and one cannot do anything regarding a  policy issued by the other.


    They also differ geratly in their overall quality and payment history. And, they come under completely different legal jurisdictions, which also affects what they can and cannot do.

    • Thanks 1

  10. In Bangkok, several locations. The one in Bang Na is the most convenient if driving up from Pattaya




    I do not however recommend getting MRI or Ct with contrast outside of a hospital, the stancd alone diagnostic centers are nto adequately equipped to handle serious adverse reactions and would nto be able to get you to a hospital quickly enough


    For non-contrast scans, fine


    Prices are nowehere near $50-100 though, not anywhere in Thailand.  Depending on poart of the body, MRI runs about 6 - 12,000 without contrast

  11. 29 minutes ago, Matzzon said:


    Cigna Thailand is nto Cigna Global


    They are probably all working from home these days


    Have you logged onto the website Customer Care area?


    Sales team number is + 44 (0)1475 492119 (Mon-Fri 8am-8pm GMT)


    The customer care number is +44 1475 788 182


    You are probably required to inform them in writing. Suggest you send a letter by express mail or courier. Address should be indicated in your policy along with relevant terms regarding cancellation



  12. 250K medical cover will not go far at all. For older people that is the best you can get but for someone OP:s age can do better


    Ask broker about this also. And check with whatever bank you use, some offer PA policies to their customers


    It is nto absolutely necessary to have PA policy as main health insurance will cover hospitalization due to accident. However they are inexpensive and have the advantage of also including outpatient care.  While you can get a main health policy that includes outpatient the premiums are so high as to not be worth it so most people get hospitalization only.

  13. Yes, certainly you need insurance if yo uwill be living here.  At your age there is abundant choice.


    You do not need to get a health insurance "from Thailand" i.e. a Thai compnay to be insured in Thailand and it is usually better not to.  There are many solid international companies that issue policies specifically for expatriates. It is best to work through a broker as they can provide comparison charts and also help afterwards wioth any claims. You:ll want to make sure motorcycle accidents are covered


    I use AA Brokers, www.aainure.net and have been very happy with the, they specializer in expat policies.

  • Create New...