Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 February 2019 14:37


Advanced Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

6,085 Excellent


About BritTim

  • Rank
    Senior member with some senior moments

Recent Profile Visitors

7,830 profile views
  1. If you are trying to enter visa exempt, the risk is real. I would not like to put a percentage on it, but it would be a risk I would not be prepared to take. If you have a visa, the risk is much lower. Even then, be well groomed, affluent looking, and well prepared with answers if questioned.
  2. BKK is better than DMK, but you could still have problems even at BKK. Coming from Ho Chi Minh City, it is certainly most convenient to return to Bangkok directly by air. However, if you want to avoid a nail biting entry, you might want to consider alternatives. These include: Fly to Vientiane, cross the Friendship Bridge; domestic flight from Udon Thani to Bangkok By land HCMC -> Phnom Penh -> Ko Khong (crossing to Thailand at Hat Lek) -> (Expensive) domestic flight from Trat to Bangkok on Bangkok Airways, or continue overland.
  3. With your history, a visa exempt entry will be no problem.
  4. No financial proof is required for the 60-day extension which is available one time per initial entry into Thailand with a visa, or a visa exempt entry.
  5. I think @farangx is suggesting that this would be too long, and a genuine tourist is someone who stays a shorter period (not sure what length of time he has in mind though).
  6. I guess my main questions are How much time are you allowed to spend enjoying Thailand before you are no longer tourist? Apart from length of time in the country, are there other factors that determine whether someone is a tourist? [Thai law is silent on the subject, except saying you cannot work.] What is the appropriate visa type when you want to continue enjoying what Thailand has to offer, but apparently have crossed the time threshold and cannot any longer be regarded as a tourist?
  7. If you are on an extension of your permission to stay based on retirement, and it is still a few days before you must leave, you could explain the situation to your local immigration office and see if they will allow you to renew your extension early. Otherwise, it will likely be best to apply for a new visa before returning to Thailand.
  8. The junior official taking your application is supposed to be pedantic, and stick exactly to the requirements. However, senior officials have the discretion to bend the rules over bank seasoning. If you have a problem (not unlikely) politely ask if they will check with the senior official whether they will approve the application in spite of the technical issue. The retirement desk at Jomtien is reputed to be friendly, so I like your chances. Good luck!
  9. It is worth mentioning that the cited report was from someone who was resident in Myanmar, and was able to prove the child was in school in Thailand.
  10. The Non Imm O and METV are completely different animals with completely different requirements. The ability to get a Non O multiple entry with state pension in the UK is a special concession just for UK pensioners. There is nothing equivalent in most countries. There is a chance it could be withdrawn in the future, but we must hope not.
  11. This is tricky. If your final destination is not an international airport, you will always need to clear immigration in Bangkok (you get over that hurdle because Surat is an international airport). Also, as a general rule, you will be forced to clear immigration in Bangkok if the domestic flight is on a separate ticket. If it is the same airline (this I think means Thai Airways) for the international flight and the domestic connection to Surat Thani, and a single ticket, you should usually be able to clear immigration in Surat Thani. If it is a single ticket with multiple airlines, you will need to enquire with the airlines to know the rules.
  12. Did you do your own extension of stay, or did someone at the company do it for you? Normally, those on extensions of stay based on working tend to have work permits and extensions of stay arranged for them. In that situation, it is fairly routine for a multiple reentry permit to be applied for the same day as your extension, paying the total fee of 5,700 baht (1,900 baht for the extension and 3,800 baht for the multiple reentry permit).
  13. It is really difficult to believe that immigration could continually believe you have multiple reentry permits when there was none in your passport. However, as you say, there is no way of proving collective hallucinations by immigration. The fact nevertheless is that your permission to stay ends when you leave Thailand, and on your return you are given a new permission to stay based on visa, reentry permit or (if you have neither) visa exempt entry.
  14. Indeed! Visa formalities can sometimes be a real bore. Maybe one way of working it would be for her to get a single entry visa from the UK at the same time you get your METV, and you could arrange her METV from Japan at the end of your first entry to Thailand. Nothing is going to be ideal. Good lick.
  15. Sigh! The Thai Embassy has no direct access to immigration's computer records. You cannot be blacklisted for too many arrivals with a tourist visa. Some officials will, however, look for an excuse to deny entry (this is not blacklisting, and does not prevent you trying again the next day). The OP cannot get a visa on arrival, though a visa exempt entry is possible. Frequent use of visa exempt entries will tend to get the attention of immigration officials, and is not recommended. An exception is that emergency use of a visa exempt entry by land may be the best solution if, for some reason, you cannot get a visa when you need one.
  • Create New...