Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum


Advanced Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by BritTim

  1. 3 hours ago, Crunchy said:

    I think he really threatened him because the school was short handed at the time. So this whole thing with the teacher actually happened a while ago. Since then the teacher was able to re enter the country on another tourist visa without anyone flagging him. Is it safe to say he is in the clear to pursue a job legally? 

    Right now, you are in the clear, but I do not recommend you work again without a work permit.

    • Like 1
  2. You are correct that the agent's quoted price was ridiculous, even for Bangkok. Doing it yourself will involve some effort. The 90-day Non O visa costs 2,000 baht. It will be taken under consideration, and will require at least two visits to Chaengwattana. You wife will need to be with you for the first of these visits. Near the end of the 90-day stay from the Non O visa, you apply for the one-year extension (1,900 baht) which should usually go smoothly, but again will involve two immigration office visits and an under consideration period. You wife will need to be with you for the application for the extension. 

    • Like 2
  3. 3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

    Once private hospitals begin their rollout, it's not really going to matter...and I think this is going to happen a lot sooner than most of us realize.


    Some private hospitals have been trying to get government endorsement of vaccine purchases since last December. I remain sceptical about whether the health ministry's attitude is going to change any time soon, unless sweeteners for key officials are forthcoming.

    • Like 1
  4. 50 minutes ago, rabas said:

    They also assured foreigners they were working on taking care of them as soon as more vaccines are available.   MOPH spokesman Rungrueng Kitphati told foreigners to "Please don't worry."


    It is easy for them to say "don't worry" while refusing (already) for over six months to allow private hospitals from providing us vaccination services, obstruction that seems likely to continue. It is not they that will die if I become infected and suffer fatal complications. There is no morally justifiable reason to prevent private hospitals from providing services the government is unable or unwilling to provide. It is beyond infuriating.

    • Like 1
  5. 7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

    You could leave them for the agent to pick up at the reception desk or he could leave them for you.


    It might be possible to bribe hotel staff to act as a conduit with an outside agent, but I do not think, in general, asking staff to come to your room in PPE, disinfect whatever you are leaving at reception, and arranging for an outside individual to get past security to to pick up something from ASQ reception is a service that is provided.

  6. 12 hours ago, Steve80 said:


    Thank you all for replies. It is very helpful.


    So if I was to buy the Elite Easy Access, would I have to upgrade this to the Elite Superiority Extension immediately at the same time as buying the Elite Easy Access, or would I be able to buy the Elite Superiority Extension during or towards the end of the Elite Easy Access 5 year period?


    My understanding of the current rules is that you can upgrade at any time before the expiry of the Elite Easy Access membership. However, I do not think there is anything to prevent Thailand Elite from eliminating the upgrade option at any time (and I would expect this to happen at some stage).

  7. 2 hours ago, Jay168 said:

    *concerning investment visa, if we buy new condo, we get free permenant visa? And with this visa, can we open bank account?? *(no job)..thank you for help.


    The simple answer is yes. If you buy and hold a qualifying condominium valued at at least 10 million baht, you qualify for an investment visa for as long as you do not resell it. The longer answer is that there are a lot of ways of messing up. An introduction to the process is available at https://www.mahanakornpartners.com/service/investment-visa/

    • Thanks 1
  8. What you probably want (if planning to stay indefinitely) is the Thailand Elite Superiority Extension which provides 20 years for a million baht.


    When it refers to five year visas, this is just because of the way the law is worded. A maximum length visa for "temporary" stay is restricted to five years. Thus, the Thailand Elite memberships that are for longer than five years require a new visa to be inserted in your passport every five years. This has no meaningful impact on your rights under the Thailand Elite scheme.


    At any time under your Thailand Elite membership, you are given a one-year permission to stay each time you enter Thailand and, if you choose not to leave and re-enter over a 12-month period, you can instead apply for a one-year extension of stay on payment of 1,900 baht at immigration.

    • Thanks 2
  9. 48 minutes ago, scorecard said:

    Can you please share your thoughts on how to select a good agent?


    That is not easy to answer. Some guidelines: in business for several years, has a bricks and mortar address, good prices, but not the absolute cheapest (they cannot afford to sweeten the pot when the inevitable occasional complications arise if they cut prices too far), preferably can process extensions through your local immigration office though this will sometimes push up the price (ask them point blank if they will use your local office), personal recommendation though you should not trust other people's opinion too much except on things like speed.

    • Like 1
  10. From context, I am pretty sure you are referring to a 45-day visa exempt entry and not a 15-day visa on arrival.


    You can apply for a Certificate of Entry (COE) to enter visa exempt. If you are careful in your selection of an agent, they can help you. The cost will depend on a number of different factors.

  11. 2 hours ago, lorbhaim said:

    I posted this post on the compulsion to have insurance from retirees in Thailand, who can pay for their MD bills - and why we all will be forced to leave after 75.

    So I will not buy a condo or house in Thailand since I will have to leave. 

    Bye Bye GFs...

    Where this topic gone?... 


    The idea that all retirees in Thailand will be forced to have health insurance is speculation. That certainly might happen, but by no means certain. If it does, you would still have the option of using an agent who could make the insurance requirement go away.

  12. 1 hour ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

    As I mentioned in another thread, Chaengwatthana immigration will be closed on the 10th of May as they told me on the phone.


    It has always been true that Bangkok immigration closes when the Royal Ploughing Ceremony takes place. The intent is to allow officials to attend. With the cancellation of the public ceremony, it is not certain that government offices in Bangkok will still close.

  13. 30 minutes ago, AaronIsaan said:

    Hello, and thanks again for your information. I attach 3 photos from my friend, but now I'm not sure if you read this message... 


    The photos are clear. This is what they are:

    1. Notification of foreigner residing in the house (TM30)
    2. 90-day address report (TM47)
    3. (Most important) A standard one-year extension of stay based on retirement issued in Phrae and expiring next March.

    If your friend lives in Phrae, the agent fee might be quite valid. The cost of doing a retirement extension with "flexibility over meeting requirements" varies considerably from office to office. If your friend does not live in Phrae, I believe he was overcharged, but there should be no other serious repercussions. I am assuming that the 22,000 baht charge was for the retirement extension itself (and probably the address report) but there was not a Non O (conversion) visa done previously in addition.


    Anyway, in answer to your main original query, there is nothing here to suggest a two-year or a five-year permission to stay.

  14. 1 hour ago, lostgold7 said:

    I just got off the phone with the Thai embassy in D.C. They tell me the visa exempt entry can not be extended at this time. Did they give me out-of-date/incorrect information? He said that whether the visa exempt entry can be converted in to an ED visa or not would be judged on a case-by-case basis by the immigration bureau. Is 45 days enough time to process the ED visa conversion if I spend the first 8 days in Bangkok and arrive in Chiang Mai with 37 days remaining on my supposed non-extendable visa? Would it be possible to begin the process while in quarantine in Bangkok and then finalize it Chiang Mai? Thanks a lot for your time.


    Never believe what a Thai embassy/consulate tells you about anything other than the services they provide directly themselves. It seems logical that they would know, but they are, in fact, notoriously unreliable as a source.


    It is completely incorrect to state that the visa exempt entry cannot be extended for 30 days. What they say about the ED visa conversion is also misleading. Whether immigration will grant the visa will depend on whether you satisfy the requirements. It is theoretically true that any extension is at the discretion of immigration but, in practice, they follow strict guidelines.


    If you meet the requirements, a minimum of 15 days (up to 21 days at a few offices) must remain on your permission to stay on the visa exempt entry, or the 30-day extension of it, when you apply for the conversion visa.

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
  • Create New...